ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-03-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8655367)
BPA. No matter the position. For the sake of argument, you take BPA even if he's a first baseman (not the case in this draft, obviously). Don't find yourself saying, "We can't take __ because we have __."

That's how you avoid Longoria because of a Gordon at 3rd. Get the absolute best talent available and worry about filling out a roster later. Also, though this isn't the case in KC, teams are allowed to trade prospects for proven ML talent.

Good point. Even if we take the best pitcher available (with other players as BPA at 5) he still isn't going to come to the majors for a few years at least. A lot will happen between now and then. This is where the MLB draft and the NFL draft are so different.

Nightfyre 06-03-2012 01:01 PM

I'm just saying, before he sprained his UCL, Giolito was the projected first overall pick... A high schooler with a mid 90s plus fastball and three well-commanded pitches. Crazy!

DeezNutz 06-03-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8655388)
I'm just saying, before he sprained his UCL, Giolito was the projected first overall pick... A high schooler with a mid 90s plus fastball and three well-commanded pitches. Crazy!

Rany talked about this player on 810 the other day. Said he has great upside, and if the team is comfortable with the medical reports, he would be a fine selection.

There probably isn't a pitcher in the draft (or one available when the Royals select) that will be a viable option to help the team in 2013, so I don't think we should get locked into thinking that we must take a college arm. This could pigeon hole us into taking a lesser talent.

BPA in this game.

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-03-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8655388)

That's impressive.

Ebolapox 06-03-2012 02:02 PM

giolito is BPA at that pick, but he's a huge signing risk. he comes from money and is committed to UCLA (for some reason, it's a bit harder to pry people from UCLA these days)

Kyle DeLexus 06-03-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 8655466)
giolito is BPA at that pick, but he's a huge signing risk. he comes from money and is committed to UCLA (for some reason, it's a bit harder to pry people from UCLA these days)

Man I hate rich kids. If millions of dollars can't keep you from college, something is wrong with you.

DeezNutz 06-03-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 8655466)

New collective bargaining agreement means that teams simply cannot throw crazy money at kids. The player is either going to want to play professional baseball now or not.

Ebolapox 06-03-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8655485)
New collective bargaining agreement means that teams simply cannot throw crazy money at kids. The player is either going to want to play professional baseball now or not.

yep. ****ing sucks, and it's another reason why I hate bud selig.

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-03-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 8655521)
yep. ****ing sucks, and it's another reason why I hate bud selig.

I like it.

Saul Good 06-03-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8655596)
I like it.

It hurts the Royals.

Ebolapox 06-03-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

I like it.

why? it kills the market inequality that gave the royals all of the guys who signed for over-slot. it makes it that much harder to compete with the large markets. now, will this force them to pony up the cash to compete anyway? in a perfect world, yes. in this world, no.

DeezNutz 06-03-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

I like it.

It's crushing for the Royals unless Glass is going to start spending in FA.

KevB 06-03-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8655660)
It's crushing for the Royals unless Glass is going to start spending in FA.

Yep, Will Myers wouldn't be a Royal with these new rules.

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-03-2012 06:02 PM

Yeah so I was wrong. My line of thinking was a bit naive and short sighted. Perfect world stuff.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-03-2012 06:06 PM

I know this doesn't go here but man When it rains, it pours.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
Adam Jones got hit in left wrist in Toronto, but his right wrist is sore and he's getting an MRI. Yeah, that's how it's going for #orioles. All 3 starting outfielders might be on DL at same time.

DL Players

Zach Britton
Nolan Reimold
Nick Markakis
Brian Roberts