ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

Bambi 05-29-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8645598)
I think the Big 12 expands beyond 12 ONLY if Notre Dame agrees to be a full member in 2016 when their NBC contract runs out. If that happens, Notre Dame will be able to drag in at least one rival, which would probably be Pitt. (WVU is a rival of sorts with Pitt too, so that works)

If you are going to 14, you may as well go to 16 because 14 is awkward as hell to schedule. I think the NCAA is going to lay waste to Miami, and they'll be a smoking crater by this time next year. Miami seems to be on a steep decline in athletics anyway and I've read they don't draw well anymore at the stadium. So, no to Miami. I believe UNC and VPI goes to the SEC, so: out of whats left, I'd say Georgia Tech and Louisville. If one of those 3 schools (after ND) aren't in for whatever reason, maybe a school like Maryland or Virginia could get in there. (not Rutgers)

12 is ideal. Always has been.

WV 05-29-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8645598)
I think the Big 12 expands beyond 12 ONLY if Notre Dame agrees to be a full member in 2016 when their NBC contract runs out. If that happens, Notre Dame will be able to drag in at least one rival, which would probably be Pitt. (WVU is a rival of sorts with Pitt too, so that works)

If you are going to 14, you may as well go to 16 because 14 is awkward as hell to schedule. I think the NCAA is going to lay waste to Miami, and they'll be a smoking crater by this time next year. Miami seems to be on a steep decline in athletics anyway and I've read they don't draw well anymore at the stadium. So, no to Miami. I believe UNC and VPI goes to the SEC, so: out of whats left, I'd say Georgia Tech and Louisville. If one of those 3 schools (after ND) aren't in for whatever reason, maybe a school like Maryland or Virginia could get in there. (not Rutgers)

How long have we been speculating about ND joinging a conference? They aren't about to give up the sweet deal they have to join any conference fulltime.

And Pitt and WVU was a huge football rivalry and would be great to get going again.

alnorth 05-29-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8645800)
How long have we been speculating about ND joinging a conference? They aren't about to give up the sweet deal they have to join any conference fulltime.

And Pitt and WVU was a huge football rivalry and would be great to get going again.

We've been speculating for as long as ND was given a sweetheart deal into good bowls and a favorable, though unfulfilled, path to the championship game.

Those days look like they are about to end, we're probably going to have a 3+1 model of 3 conference champions, plus one wild card if the 4th-best conference champion is not highly ranked.

If that happens, ND does not have a realistic shot of ever making it into the playoffs unless they go undefeated, and even then it'd be iffy. They may be given no choice but to join a conference.

WilliamTheIrish 05-29-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8645119)
This criticism is kinda silly if you are talking about one of the few major relays in the midwest. OU, Okie State, and K-State all have separate tracks, but only dinky little bleachers that seat a bit over 1,000. KU cant do that, they had over 26,000 as recently as 2006 when they had some olympic gold medal winners competing. They'd need to either build a new 20,000-seat track stadium (which seems like an extravagant waste of money to me), or hold it at the football stadium. Who cares about the aesthetics if you are one of the very few universities holding a real large relay? The only other major relays in our area are the Texas and Drake relays. (Missouri apparently has a relay too, but I never really heard of it before searching just now)

Texas has a huge track stadium because they are filthy rich. Drake obviously has their event in a football stadium. This isn't some high school, the Kansas Relays are a very old, major college track event.

The track and the entire area is a piece of garbage. That's why the university has been attempting to build a stand alone track/field stadium for 10+ years. But like like Elvis and the Gridiron Club, it's just a legend.

And KSU's "dinky" (Holds 3K) stadium just hosted the Big XII Outdoor T&F Championship for the second time. You know which university hasn't hosted that event?

kstater 05-29-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8645887)
The track and the entire area is a piece of garbage. That's why the university has been attempting to build a stand alone track/field stadium for 10+ years. But like like Elvis and the Gridiron Club, it's just a legend.

And KSU's "dinky" (Holds 3K) stadium just hosted the Big XII Outdoor T&F Championship for the second time. You know which university hasn't hosted that event?

I'm assuming they haven't because that "historic" dump isn't a regulation size track?

sedated 05-29-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8645479)
your all-consuming, butthurt obsession with denegrading Missouri at every opportunity, no matter what, has so completely clouded and overtaxed your limited mental faculties

Oh jesus, the hypocrisy here is killing me. I would say pot meet kettle, but this is way beyond that.

Btw, are you still infecting any and every KU thread by calling our schedule FIVE YEARS AGO weak?

I guess wickedson isn't the only one with limited mental faculties.

Bambi 05-29-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8645887)

The area is garbage?

Some of you have so much class let me tell you.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-29-2012 07:56 PM

Even you can admit that it's an eyesore. You'd think all that money you claim they are rolling in, they'd have something a bit nicer.

Al Bundy 05-29-2012 07:58 PM

Central Florida's football stadium is much better than the one over in Lawrence.

WilliamTheIrish 05-29-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8645935)
The area is garbage?

Some of you have so much class let me tell you.

Well, that may have been a bit harsh. Sorry about that.

It is run down. And the attempts to replace it with a T&F stadium have pretty much been on hold for 10 years.

Saul Good 05-29-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8645806)
We've been speculating for as long as ND was given a sweetheart deal into good bowls and a favorable, though unfulfilled, path to the championship game.

Those days look like they are about to end, we're probably going to have a 3+1 model of 3 conference champions, plus one wild card if the 4th-best conference champion is not highly ranked.

If that happens, ND does not have a realistic shot of ever making it into the playoffs unless they go undefeated, and even then it'd be iffy. They may be given no choice but to join a conference.

Don't forget about having a decent conference for non-football sports. If that were to dry up, they would have to seriously consider joining for all sports.

Discuss Thrower 05-29-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8645760)
12 is ideal. Always has been.

It was until conference championship games became a good idea. And even then that only came at the demise of the SWC. Note that it was only the SEC, then the unholy alliance that was the Big XII did this come to fruition.

Just going by years of existence, conferences of 8-10 teams were the ideal.

Saul Good 05-29-2012 08:29 PM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/big...nst-sec,28334/

RustShack 05-29-2012 09:21 PM

ND will join the Big12 unless they never want to make the playoffs.

RustShack 05-29-2012 09:21 PM

Well they probably wont make the playoffs ever in the Big12 either, but you get the point.