ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 02:03 PM

Not labeled as a running QB, Smith improvises

West Virginia senior avoids pressure, completes high percentage of throws

Argue if you want that the statistics posted by West Virginia’s Geno Smith deserve a disclaimer.

Still, the senior quarterback’s tuneups against Marshall and James Madison were impressive, nonetheless.

“If he can continue to play like that against better competition then it’s something special,’’ Mountaineers coach Dana Holgorsen said Monday on the Big 12 teleconference.

Smith has proven he can make special plays. At times, he does so on his own.

Through a 2-0 start that included blowout wins against Marshall and James Madison, Smith improvised to avoid pressure. More so, in fact, than what Holgorsen would prefer since the coach counted at least five would-be sacks averted by his slippery quarterback.

“He’s getting out of situations that are going to be harder to get out of,’’ Holgorsen said.

The result is a 408.5-yard average in total offense, which ranks Smith second nationally. He is 66 of 75 passing for 734 yards. Quick math reveals he has the same number of touchdown throws (nine) as incompletions.

“He’s improved, and he’s been practicing like this since the beginning of August,’’ Holgorsen added. “Watching him translate out there in a game has been fun to watch and coach.’’

Although the scrambles Smith made give him 83 yards rushing through two games, Holgorsen resisted any dual-threat terminology.

“If we wanted to we could do some things that would give him the label of being a running quarterback. It’s just not what our offense is,’’ Holgorsen said.

“We’re not going to work on zone reads and stuff like that. He’s getting rushing yards because he’s doing a good job of getting out of bad situations in the pocket and extending the play.’’

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 02:10 PM

That's a great tape, but I see the potential for early-era Sanchez with this guy too.

-King- 09-20-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8930846)
That's a great tape, but I see the potential for early-era Sanchez with this guy too.

LMAO What does this even mean?

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8930872)
LMAO What does this even mean?

Did you watch any Sanchez/USC tape evar? I see similarities.

Sorter 09-20-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8930888)

I don't. They are completely different systems offensively. Smith also seems to have a better arm and pocket presence.

Really, the similarity is that they both play QB IMO.

htismaqe 09-20-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

No.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931010)
I don't. They are completely different systems offensively. Smith also seems to have a better arm and pocket presence.

It's not the system. It's the tendencies and the overall skill-level.

There are similarities.

The Franchise 09-20-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8931020)

There are similarities.

No. There aren't.

jd1020 09-20-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931010)

Neither are white.

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

You must mean that he looks like he could win a playoff game.

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8931073)
Neither are white.

LMAO

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8931020)

There are similarities.

Have to disagree. Different throwing motion, different footwork within the pocket, different release point. If by tendencies you mean being good college QBs, then yes. Overall skill-level, Geno is probably close to what people though Sanchez's ceiling was before he was drafted.

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

I can go more in-depth if you'd really like but I don't want to make myself watch film of Mark Sanchez.

Ever.

DeezNutz 09-20-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931488)
Overall skill-level, Geno is probably close to what people though Sanchez's ceiling was before he was drafted.

Not really. These are just two very different players. Sanchez was/is athletic for a pocket-passer. Smith is simply athletic as shit.

Smith has more concerns with footwork and arm angle, while Sanchez has less "feel."

Both were elite prospects, but Smith's athleticism makes him more dynamic on tape in many ways.

Sorter 09-20-2012 07:24 PM

Didn't mean athletic ceilings. Overall production. My bad for not clarifying.