ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9225152)
Its not technically stealing, but I bet the writers of the original episodes wouldn't agree.

It's called Work For Hire, so the writers knew the exact ramifications once they signed to write an episode.

And it doesn't matter if they agree or not, Paramount owns the I.P.

whoman69 12-20-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9225995)
It's called Work For Hire, so the writers knew the exact ramifications once they signed to write an episode.

And it doesn't matter if they agree or not, Paramount owns the I.P.

Doesn't mean they can't come up with their own ideas. I've already seen Gary Mitchell and Khan. They don't need to be rewritten.

Red Brooklyn 12-20-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9227588)
Doesn't mean they can't come up with their own ideas. I've already seen Gary Mitchell and Khan. They don't need to be rewritten.

You've already seen all these characters. None of it needs to be rewritten.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

You're talking in circles

Deberg_1990 12-20-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

IN this case, its probably Paramount wanting an iconic "name" villain to help sell the movie. Which is funny, since they haven’t said who the villain is yet officially.

As for the stealing part, this happens all the time doesn’t it? New writers expanding on others characters or material. Also, the original writers who created the characters are dead im guessing....

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9227606)
IN this case, its probably Paramount wanting an iconic "name" villain to help sell the movie. Which is funny, since they haven’t said who the villain is yet officially.

As for the stealing part, this happens all the time doesn’t it? New writers expanding on others characters or material. Also, the original writers who created the characters are dead im guessing....

:facepalm:

If you're hired to write an episode of television or a movie script, the production company/network owns the script. Period, end of story.

The studio can then exploit it (or not) without any further payment to the writer. If the script or film happens to air on television, the writer will receive residuals.

It is not "stealing" if a production company or studio, that owns the rights to a particular production, decides to reboot as a TV series or feature film.

whoman69 12-20-2012 04:41 PM

In this case the studio is taking a story that was already written and instead saying it happened another way. Its just lazy and adds nothing.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9227939)
In this case the studio is taking a story that was already written and instead saying it happened another way. Its just lazy and adds nothing.

So, you've read the script?

Red Brooklyn 12-24-2012 11:29 AM

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98350

Following the reveal earlier this month that Benedict Cumberbatch's Star Trek Into Darkness villain goes by the mysterious name of "John Harrison," GyaO! (via TrekMovie) caught up with director J.J. Abrams and Cumberbatch himself.

"When J.J. described the role to me… he described someone who was, in movie terms, a mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Jack in 'The Shining,' and the Joker in 'Batman,'" Cumberbatch said. "...He's someone who has enormous physical strength. He's someone who is incredibly dangerous, both as a physical entity and through the use of various technologies and weapons and who performs acts of what I would describe as terrorism. He's also a psychological master. He manipulates the minds of those around him to do his bidding in a very, very subtle way."

"His name is John Harrison and he is sort of an... average guy who works in an organization called Starfleet," Abrams added, "and he turns against the group because he has got this backstory and this kind of amazing secret agenda. After two very violent attacks, one in London and one in the US, our characters have to go after this guy and apprehend him. And it is a far more complicated and difficult thing then they ever anticipated. 'Into Darkness' is very much about how intense it gets and really what they are up against."

okcchief 12-24-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

You've already seen Spock, Kirk etc too. Why bother watching it if it annoys you so much?

whoman69 12-25-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9239487)
You've already seen Spock, Kirk etc too. Why bother watching it if it annoys you so much?

I think many Star Trek fans are wondering the same thing. You're taking what was a character driven moralistic series of stories and rewriting them to an action story format. Its not like this was Battlestar Galactica which really had no history or no big fanbase that only grew bigger with time. They actually did the opposite with BSG. They took campy adventure stories and rewrote them with some backbone. In Star Trek they have gutted the original universe and rebooted it. There will be no more stories unless they follow the new format.

Hammock Parties 12-25-2012 03:16 PM

I'm glad Abrams is breaking his own ground and not rehashing Khan or Mitchell or anyone else.

Bravo.

Deberg_1990 12-25-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9240541)
I'm glad Abrams is breaking his own ground and not rehashing Khan or Mitchell or anyone else.

Bravo.

True.....but but I'm guessing there's a twist in here somewhere. Its Abrams.

Fire Me Boy! 12-25-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9240808)
True.....but but I'm guessing there's a lens flare in there somewhere. Its Abrams.

FYP

Deberg_1990 12-25-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9240823)
FYP

ROFL

He gets a lot of crap for that, but I like it.