ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What is your best managing people advice? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352772)

WilliamTheIrish 03-18-2024 08:10 AM

Know when to get out. (Of being a manager.)

bigjosh 03-18-2024 08:12 AM

Treat everyone the same, even that one person you cant ****ing stand at all.

Build trust by keeping promises and following through. Don’t make promises that you cant guarantee will happen.

Encourage personal growth of each employee. For example: new learning opportunities, new tasks.

Promote improvement ideas. If someone has a way to make things smoother, listen and invest the time and resources if it makes sense.

Deliver negative messages from your management with the reason why first. Share how it impacts you, but you are willing to do it because of the overall impact to the company.

tredadda 03-18-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 17448341)

Kenny Rogers said “Know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away”. Sage advice.

kccrow 03-18-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 17448319)
These are not mine, but a lot of these principles I have incorporated into my life when I was leading people. You can pick and choose which ones are relevant or not.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...rgeants-major/

1. Also I believe that everyone is different and leading/managing them has to be done with that in mind. It does not mean you should not expect similar results from them, just that how you approach them might vary some.

2. Even strong dogs eventually wear down. Be cognizant of that. Leaders/managers tend to default to those who consistently perform at a high level. While this shows confidence in that individual(s), they could eventually wear down as more and more stuff gets put on them.

3. Develop your people. Never seek out things that will make you and you alone look good. Leaders/managers should be looked at and evaluated based on what their teams do, not what they themselves do.

These are just a few, but I don't want to have too large of a wall of text here.

#2 kind of plays into the old Pareto Principle.

If 80% of key productivity comes from 20% of your workforce, where are you going to focus the bulk of your attention? That doesn't mean you ignore the other 80% of course.

Also, as you ascend in the chain you will gravitate towards affecting the most change in and/or developing the people key to doing your job.

As a controller, the people most key to me are subordinate staff accountants, HR managers, and Ops managers who can relay financial focus down the chain. I know that I don't need to focus attention on supervisors, coordinators, and so forth because they will push what I tell them down the chain even if I do spend some time with those people.

I guess a key point to make is to manage what you need to manage and let your subordinates take it the rest of the way. And for ****s sake, don't micromanage. There's no better way to piss people off.

ChiTown 03-18-2024 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 17448341)

This

I’m very good at managing and developing businesses, but I sucked at managing people - not my strong suit. I like doing things my way, and it drives me nuts when people can’t figure shit out that is intuitive to me. So, I went into business for myself about 20+ years ago. It was a lifesaver for me and an opportunity to do the things I wanted to do without worrying about developing the people around me.

As far as managing people, the best advice I was ever given is
1. to hire the smartest people you can hire and get the f outta their way
2. Profit

:)

tooge 03-18-2024 08:25 AM

Never compare employees to each other. Each person is what they are, regardless of someone else, unless of course, it's for a promotion. If an employee brings up another employee you just say that we are here to talk about you, not anyone else.

Lead by example. This is probably the most important thing. Ex., if you are not on time, don't expect anyone else to be either, etc.

Be fair. Try to make decisions based on if it was you in their situation. How would you talk to them if a manager was talking to you? Do the same.

Katipan 03-18-2024 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 17448315)
Serious question. Why do women bosses never seem to get along with their female employees? I've seen it in different field, businesses and offices where I've worked and/or called on as a client. Many times its just toxic for no real reason.

I assume for the same reason we're mean to eachother in general.

I don't have that experience.

Bwana 03-18-2024 08:29 AM

I've been on both sides of the fence. I have managed teams and been managed.

1. Give clear instructions on what you want done. It's amazing how often some vague statement is laid out, with a lot of gaps in it, on what what is expected of people. More than once, I have said, that a pretty subjective statement/email, could you expand on that one? Don't go with the Miss Cleo approach, people aren't mind readers.

2. As someone else mentioned, if someone is off the clock, don't bombard them with emails or phone calls on the weekend. Unless it's an emergency, it can wait. People that do that are not impressing anyone, it just makes them look like an unorganized douche. I look at it as "Your lack of planning, does not constitute an emergency on my part." I'm looking at 13 emails right now, that one guy sent out on a Sunday. At this point, I shut off my work phone and don't check emails on weekends. I have to say, it has dropped my stress level in half.

3. Be honest, don't be passive aggressive. If you have something to say, say it. People will respect that and being passive aggressive, is a sure way for people to lose all respect for the person delivering the message.

Chief Pote 03-18-2024 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17448287)
Boomers reading this thread with their morning coffee...

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="10762449" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.78" data-width="75%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/good-place-emotions-anger-confusion-gif-10762449">Good Place Emotions GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/good+place-gifs">Good Place GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

LMAO, I resemble that comment.

DJJasonp 03-18-2024 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 17448346)
Treat everyone the same, even that one person you cant ****ing stand at all.

Build trust by keeping promises and following through. Don’t make promises that you cant guarantee will happen.

Encourage personal growth of each employee. For example: new learning opportunities, new tasks.

Promote improvement ideas. If someone has a way to make things smoother, listen and invest the time and resources if it makes sense.

Deliver negative messages from your management with the reason why first. Share how it impacts you, but you are willing to do it because of the overall impact to the company.

All of this.

Gain trust by letting them know that you don't succeed without their success.

coach up or coach out.

Mosbonian 03-18-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17448374)
I assume for the same reason we're mean to eachother in general.

I don't have that experience.

I had a female on my team as a supervisor who I promoted because she had earned it. When I told her who she would be supervising, she politely declined the promotion.

I could impart her explanation word for word but I am sure it would not be well received.

Katipan 03-18-2024 09:22 AM

Why would we care?

BWillie 03-18-2024 10:01 AM

Just act like Ari Gold

Couch-Potato 03-18-2024 10:02 AM

DON'T hire anyone that requires Managing!

scho63 03-18-2024 10:41 AM

Management to employees: "Don't listen to Zach."

Katipan 03-18-2024 10:46 AM

Feed them.
You can do anything to anyone if you feed them.

ptlyon 03-18-2024 11:36 AM

Don't.

Sorry if Q

BIG_DADDY 03-18-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17448553)
Feed them.
You can do anything to anyone if you feed them.

We are talking about Zach here. Zach doesn't share food. They probably don't listen to him because they are getting sick and tired of him eating all the damn doughnuts.

wbbonneriii 03-18-2024 11:51 AM

Treat your employees like your best customer and it works out well.

Katipan 03-18-2024 11:58 AM

I'm the wrong girl to talk shit about Zach to.
I don't think it's cute. I think it's kind of pussy.

I don't get what he gets from coming here and antagonizing You but I've called 911 enough times that I'll leave him alone while he gets it.

Rain Man 03-18-2024 12:01 PM

If someone comes to you with an idea or if they want to take the lead on an initiative, let them do it if at all feasible. All ideas don't have to emanate from you, and saying no is not good for morale. Give employees more yeses than nos.

Katipan 03-18-2024 12:03 PM

Yes with enthusiasm, no with empathy 🥰

BIG_DADDY 03-18-2024 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17448693)
I'm the wrong girl to talk shit about Zach to.
I don't think it's cute. I think it's kind of pussy.

I don't get what he gets from coming here and antagonizing You but I've called 911 enough times that I'll leave him alone while he gets it.

He's still not sharing his food with you. Nice try.

Katipan 03-18-2024 12:05 PM

You're so cool.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-18-2024 12:48 PM

Make your rules clear so there's no guessing.

For Example: If you show up late just ONE TIME, you're fired!

ptlyon 03-18-2024 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 17448791)

For Example: If you show up late just ONE TIME, you're fired!

Oh like you enforced that with the Hog's you employed

Bearcat 03-18-2024 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17448693)
I think it's kind of pussy.

You don't think being so triggered by an internet stranger and their political opinions in one forum that you follow them around another forum is manly?

Are you even in high school?!?

Katipan 03-18-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17448894)
You don't think being so triggered by an internet stranger and their political opinions in one forum that you follow them around another forum is manly?

Are you even in high school?!?

I have a Varsity and JV Cum Squad.

Bearcat 03-18-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17448909)
I have a Varsity and JV Cum Squad.

https://y.yarn.co/e10c251a-e8c7-4694...db8ea_text.gif

BryanBusby 03-18-2024 03:21 PM

There's a big difference between having some people report to you and being an actual manager.

People management is the easy part. Maintaining impossible budgets, trying to get work done when your entire schedule is wall to wall meetings and having to fend other people off from your team is the real hard work.

stevieray 03-18-2024 03:22 PM

Managing what?

Meat market?
Car dealership?
National Call Center?
Warehouse?
Bar?
Wendy's?
Investment team?
Little League Baseball team?

Lots of different responsibilities for different gigs.
Manage means to manipulate and control to a desired end.

In an overall sense, better have great organizational/people skills. If not, usually ends up being the secondary definition.

Iowanian 03-18-2024 06:25 PM

Everyone wants to be the boss, until they have to do boss shit.

Megatron96 03-18-2024 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 17449302)
Everyone wants to be the boss, until they have to do boss shit.

Lol, rep 4 truth :thumb:

Chiefshrink 03-18-2024 06:43 PM

Lead by example and get into the trenches with your troops and work along side of them when the situation calls for it. Don't ever ask your troops to do something that you would never do. After a period of time of consistency with this approach they will realize you are not a "lip service poser" and are the "real deal" because this IS WHO YOU ARE IN CHARACTER. At this point, the majority will bust through the wall for you when the chips are down and you need them to step it up and they will.:thumb:

|Zach| 03-18-2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17449093)
Managing what?

Meat market?
Car dealership?
National Call Center?
Warehouse?
Bar?
Wendy's?
Investment team?
Little League Baseball team?

Lots of different responsibilities for different gigs.
Manage means to manipulate and control to a desired end.

In an overall sense, better have great organizational/people skills. If not, usually ends up being the secondary definition.

A little league baseball team.

I am pretty excited.

https://reelretrodadblog.files.wordp...earsdugout.jpg

BIG_DADDY 03-18-2024 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17449327)

I am pretty excited.

It's cool that you want to be a coach but remember what you are there for. Know what you are talking about and how to teach and make players better. As they are getting better they will respect you as will the parents. The most annoying thing ever is some dumb ass that doesn't know the game or how to make his players better in every aspect. They may donate their time but they're wasting everyone else's. Unfortunately that is a pretty large number of coaches in kids athletics. I hope for the players sake you know what your doing.

Katipan 03-18-2024 07:09 PM

Watch out for creeper dentists.

|Zach| 03-18-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 17449354)
It's cool that you want to be a coach but remember what you are there for. Know what you are talking about and how to teach and make players better. As they are getting better they will respect you as will the parents. The most annoying thing ever is some dumb ass that doesn't know the game or how to make his players better in every aspect. They may donate their time but they're wasting everyone else's. Unfortunately that is a pretty large number of coaches in kids athletics. I hope for the players sake you know what your doing.

My man...did you think I made this thread because I am coaching a little league baseball team.

BIG_DADDY 03-18-2024 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17449360)
My man...did you think I made this thread because I am coaching a little league baseball team.

Actually I am relieved you are not. LMAO I figured bowling was more in your lane,

Rain Man 03-18-2024 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17449327)

I am pretty excited.

I wish my manager had taught me to always think about where I would throw the ball during the interminable dull times where I was standing around watching balls and strikes.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 03-18-2024 07:37 PM

Not so much advice, but be prepared to consistently and constantly answer a lot of questions from your crew.

|Zach| 03-18-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 17449365)
Actually I am relieved you are not. LMAO I figured bowling was more in your lane,

Did not want to derail the thread but your dislike of me has driven you to post objectively stupid things.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/MFYewrNPPkUzUUKVXa" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>