ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Shogun on FX (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=350871)

GloucesterChief 04-10-2024 05:38 PM

Yes. Though he knew of the plan as Toranaga's line to Mariko suggests.

Easy 6 04-10-2024 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17477646)
Yes. Though he knew of the plan as Toranaga's line to Mariko suggests.

Right, he was aware of Anjin and Yabushige

But letting Hiromatsu do what he did, all to deepen a deception?

Ancient Japan was a jacked up place to live

GloucesterChief 04-10-2024 05:52 PM

He said that Hiromatsu knew his role well.

But yes he wants Yabushige, who is fully out of save his own skin, and Anjin together. Think about what they both have access to and is on their way to Osaka.

Easy 6 04-10-2024 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17477670)
He said that Hiromatsu knew his role well.

But yes he wants Yabushige, who is fully out of save his own skin, and Anjin together. Think about what they both have access to and is on their way to Osaka.

I was just a tiny kid when the book, and later the mini-series came out... clearly recall mom watching it while I played with my Star Wars toys

Its been obvious for a while now that Anjins cannon will be the deciding factor... not trying to be a spoiler but anyone who didn't already know that after watching so far should smarten up!

Easy 6 04-10-2024 06:49 PM

This is a decent recap of last nights episode

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/sh...7511f6b3&ei=59

GloucesterChief 04-16-2024 10:27 PM

Episode should of been titled 'Mariko gives no Fs'

Easy 6 04-17-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17484245)
Episode should of been titled 'Mariko gives no Fs'

They really packed in a total ton of twists and turns, good grief... awesome script

I'm surprised it isn't drawing more discussion here, this show is a nationwide blockbuster and its very well deserved

GloucesterChief 04-17-2024 06:18 PM

The best scene was Mariko making Ishido look like a bitch in front of court.

Easy 6 04-17-2024 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17485189)

I was disappointed that Ochiba didn't do more to prevent it, she was warned by her dying mom to stop the games

Got fooled by that raid, thought it was the opening salvo of Crimson Sky... Yabushige is a fan favorite no more

dlphg9 04-18-2024 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 17485196)
I was disappointed that Ochiba didn't do more to prevent it, she was warned by her dying mom to stop the games

Got fooled by that raid, thought it was the opening salvo of Crimson Sky... Yabushige is a fan favorite no more

At first I was like who the **** are these people and then I remembered that the one guy came and told Yabushige that Ishido would allow him to trade an instant death with servitude, but he had to do one thing first. Letting in those dudes is what he was talking about. Yabushige has no honor. The guy is just a weasel lmao.

dlphg9 04-18-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17485189)

I loved it. She absolutely owned his ass in front of so many people and he looked so weak in front of everyone. Mariko's a master at this kind of shit and she's highly respected by so many people.

dlphg9 04-18-2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 17477661)
Right, he was aware of Anjin and Yabushige

But letting Hiromatsu do what he did, all to deepen a deception?

Ancient Japan was a jacked up place to live

What was he supposed to do to stop him? If he stops him by agreeing to fight, then the deception is over. Those mother****ers were the most loyal people to ever live and would happily die for their Lord.

Also even with Hiromatsu doing what he did the church still thinks it is all a ploy.

Easy 6 04-18-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17485918)
At first I was like who the **** are these people and then I remembered that the one guy came and told Yabushige that Ishido would allow him to trade an instant death with servitude, but he had to do one thing first. Letting in those dudes is what he was talking about. Yabushige has no honor. The guy is just a weasel lmao.

Most of the other clans will turn on Ishido for not honoring his word to release the hostages, and then bringing in mercenaries to kill them... they'll side with Toranaga

And Yabushige will die an ugly death, hopefully by boiling

GloucesterChief 04-21-2024 03:34 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zTe2huvZy6o?si=mxBmqbMZbMeAuzvP" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another great scene.

Easy 6 04-21-2024 03:57 PM

Its top shelf tv, such a shame we can't get more of it without having to juggle 5 different streaming accounts... Shogun is the new Yellowstone, can't wait for tuesday and then season two

GloucesterChief 04-21-2024 06:20 PM

Hate to break it to you but there won't be a season 2 unless they want to adapt Gai-Jin using a lot of the same actors.

Fishpicker 04-21-2024 06:25 PM

why would they use the same actors? Gai-jin is set 262 years later than Shogun

Easy 6 04-21-2024 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17488761)
Hate to break it to you but there won't be a season 2 unless they want to adapt Gai-Jin using a lot of the same actors.

Well then I can't wait to see how they wrap it all up in 90 minutes this week

If this is a one and done, they damn well better pull out all the stops for this finale... nonstop action, decisive and climactic boom boom NOW

GloucesterChief 04-21-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 17488765)
why would they use the same actors? Gai-jin is set 262 years later than Shogun

The setting really has nothing to do with being able to use a lot of the same actors in different roles.

srvy 04-23-2024 04:56 PM

https://media1.giphy.com/media/hv53D...=200w.gif&ct=g

WTH this was rushed horribly so disappointing. The woman writer obviously took the source material and pitched in in the burn barrel. She created a woke 1600s Japan LMAO. Why they even bothered I don't know I guess they didn't count on the popularity of a masterpiece of a book.

Garcia Bronco 04-23-2024 06:53 PM

I kind of like the way they ended it but it's missing a lot of the story. I mean they do introduce a lot of stuff in the last 5 minutes. I guess they didn't have time to introduce ochiba's true treachery.

KCUnited 04-23-2024 07:37 PM

Offered to chop my lady’s head off, didn’t get laid

**** I love Japanese women

Easy 6 04-23-2024 07:38 PM

Recorded tonight, watching tomorrow night... can't wait

Fishpicker 04-23-2024 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 17491086)

WTH this was rushed horribly so disappointing. The woman writer obviously took the source material and pitched in in the burn barrel. She created a woke 1600s Japan LMAO. Why they even bothered I don't know I guess they didn't count on the popularity of a masterpiece of a book.

in what way was this show woke? the lady writer didn't change much of the plot. but she did incorporate more dialogue to get rid of exposition in Marikos translations. the biggest thing the writer changed was Anjin trained samurai to fire cannons instead of matchlock rifles. that makes sense because Daimyo had been trading with the Portuguese for 50 years already. by 1600 most samurai armies had developed pike and shot strategies similar to the Tercio square.

The ending of this new series is pretty much the same as the old mini-series

GloucesterChief 04-23-2024 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 17491354)
in what way was this show woke? the lady writer didn't change much of the plot. but she did incorporate more dialogue to get rid of exposition in Marikos translations. the biggest thing the writer changed was Anjin trained samurai to fire cannons instead of matchlock rifles. that makes sense because Daimyo had been trading with the Portuguese for 50 years already. by 1600 most samurai armies had developed pike and shot strategies similar to the Tercio square.

The ending of this new series is pretty much the same as the old mini-series

Also, the death of the real person Mariko was based on was a major historical event in dissolving the unity of the regency and casting doubt on the historical Ishido.

dlphg9 04-23-2024 09:50 PM

Holy shit, I hated that finale. God damn, the slowest most drawn out finale I've ever seen.

dlphg9 04-23-2024 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 17491086)

Wtf was "woke" about this?

God damn you ****ing reeruns that cry woke about everything have become unhinged. You must be really miserable people.

Fish 04-23-2024 11:52 PM

Definitely could have used a few more episodes to wrap things up.

KC_Connection 04-24-2024 12:23 AM

Loved this series and I thought the finale was very effective and fitting to its style throughout.

And while I know it was based on the book (which was also based on real history) and completed its story, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to the creators trying to write something new with those same characters in some kind of second season.

GloucesterChief 04-24-2024 09:34 AM

William Adams, the person Blackthrone is based on, did participate in the battles of Aizu and Sekigahara but after that much of his time was spent building ships and training sailors as well as establishing trade under the Tokugawa shogunate. He was the shogun's personal translator, both Iyeasu and his successor. He did marry a Japanese woman but she was not of samurai class. He did leave Japan on trade expeditions but never returned to Europe.

KC_Connection 04-24-2024 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17491739)
William Adams, the person Blackthrone is based on, did participate in the battles of Aizu and Sekigahara but after that much of his time was spent building ships and training sailors as well as establishing trade under the Tokugawa shogunate. He was the shogun's personal translator, both Iyeasu and his successor. He did marry a Japanese woman but she was not of samurai class. He did leave Japan on trade expeditions but never returned to Europe.

I was reading about Tokugawa Ieyasu last night and it seems to me there's enough that he did after the battle of Sekigahara for more of this (that they could base on history) if they really wanted to do it.

Easy 6 04-24-2024 06:33 PM

Such an unexpected ending, but it lived up to the hype anyway

A slow burn finale that actually pays off emotionally, Anjins cannons were not a a factor as I had anticipated... but no big bang boom warzone Walking Dead finale extravaganza was needed at all

That ending was perfection, everyone knows what comes next and Blackthorne clearly lived through it... it stands alone as a 10 part masterpiece

dlphg9 04-24-2024 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 17492495)
Such an unexpected ending, but it lived up to the hype anyway

A slow burn finale that actually pays off emotionally, Anjins cannons were not a a factor as I had anticipated... but no big bang boom warzone Walking Dead finale extravaganza was needed at all

That ending was perfection, everyone knows what comes next and Blackthorne clearly lived through it... it stands alone as a 10 part masterpiece

It just seemed extremely rushed. They could easily have added 2 more episodes and actually had some build up to a final battle where the heirs forces don't show up

GloucesterChief 04-24-2024 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17492665)
It just seemed extremely rushed. They could easily have added 2 more episodes and actually had some build up to a final battle where the heirs forces don't show up

The book actually ends just like that. Except that Toranaga is not talking to Yabushige but it is his internal thoughts. Then it summarizes the battle of Sekigahara.

Also, Yabushige is supposed to give his swords to Blackthorne.

Easy 6 04-24-2024 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17492665)

Sure they could've drawn it out, but as a stand alone piece of art this was a 10 of 10

I wanted a big spectacle with Anijins cannons blasting away for the win, but the way they played it was sooo much better than the typical boom pow finale

KC_Connection 04-24-2024 08:39 PM

A battle wouldn’t have fit this show, nor was it needed because his machinations won him the battle before it was even fought. They also certainly didn’t have the money to do something like that anyway.

Fishpicker 04-24-2024 09:27 PM

also, the battle of Sekigahara has been done many times on film. one more iteration of that battle probably would not stand out. and it would have cost a lot of money. I'm glad they budgeted the way they did, using the money to nail costumery, wardrobe, set pieces, and period accurate buildings.

if you want to see samurai armies square off with gunpowder there are plenty of options. my favorites are Ran, Kagemusha, and Ten To Chi To (Heaven and Earth)

here is a short film of the Battle at Sekigahara. the title cards will tell you who is fighting who, when and where.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FJIwu616guM?si=SGghWSf0LxYhmAHV" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Garcia Bronco 04-24-2024 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17492706)
The book actually ends just like that. Except that Toranaga is not talking to Yabushige but it is his internal thoughts. Then it summarizes the battle of Sekigahara.

Also, Yabushige is supposed to give his swords to Blackthorne.

If I remember correctly Yubo almost makes it to the third cut of sepaku.

Buehler445 04-25-2024 02:14 PM

Man, that was really good.

I've stayed out because I'm behind, but holy crap. I could watch more of that. Really good stuff.

Execute a good story and I'm in.

BigRedChief 04-26-2024 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17492723)
A battle wouldn’t have fit this show, nor was it needed because his machinations won him the battle before it was even fought. They also certainly didn’t have the money to do something like that anyway.

but, now this was a big hit, maybe some studio or producer will find a new script and battles for the next chapter. The book source is exhausted but history details what happened to get a new shogun and the 100’s of years of peace that followed.

Buehler445 04-27-2024 06:46 AM

I do have a question.

Old Man Anjin had Marikos cross. How did he get it after he threw it in the water. I presume it’s a different one?

GloucesterChief 04-27-2024 09:46 AM

I think that was Blackthorne imagining what it would be like if he left Japan to go back to England. He doesn't fully commit to staying in Japan until he tries to commit Seppaku and Toranaga stops him.

GloucesterChief 04-27-2024 10:05 AM

At least they brought the 'Unless I win' back around. It is more subtle in the show but in the book it is made quite clear that is when Toranaga realizes that Blackthorne understands him better than many of his vassals.

In real life Adams and Tokugawa had a meeting that lasted a whole day past midnight as Tokugawa was very curious about Adams' knowledge of sailing and shipbuilding.

KC_Connection 04-27-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17500342)
I think that was Blackthorne imagining what it would be like if he left Japan to go back to England. He doesn't fully commit to staying in Japan until he tries to commit Seppaku and Toranaga stops him.

Yes, I took that to mean his potential future if he left Japan after Mariko’s death and lived a life full of regret holding onto her/the past.

Buehler445 04-27-2024 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17500342)

That makes as much sense as anything. Thanks.

Zebedee DuBois 04-28-2024 12:22 PM

A dream within a dream

Kiimo 05-02-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17500180)
I do have a question.

Old Man Anjin had Marikos cross. How did he get it after he threw it in the water. I presume it’s a different one?

That was a vision of a possible future.

As Toranaga (And Rogriguez) said, Blackthorne's destiny is to never leave Japan

ThaVirus 05-07-2024 05:54 AM

This show was really well done. It reminded me of Game of Thrones with all of the political subterfuge.

Spoiler!

It’s hard to believe an entire culture could have such an obsession with death.

I’m still upset about Fuji’s son. **** anyone who would sanction the murder of an infant because his father spoke out of turn.

dlphg9 05-08-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17511673)
This show was really well done. It reminded me of Game of Thrones with all of the political subterfuge.

Spoiler!

It’s hard to believe an entire culture could have such an obsession with death.

I’m still upset about Fuji’s son. **** anyone who would sanction the murder of an infant because his father spoke out of turn.

Yeah that's completely ****ed. Mariko convincing her to do it out of honor or some shit didn't sit right with me. **** that shit. Ain't no way they're taking my baby and killing it while I'm still alive.

KC_Connection 05-10-2024 11:15 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FX is looking to make Season 2 of ‘SHOGUN’<br><br>Hiroyuki Sanada is closing a deal to return.<br><br>(Source: Deadline) <a href="https://t.co/f3YI7FyJV5">pic.twitter.com/f3YI7FyJV5</a></p>&mdash; DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788960254622941643?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 10, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great news. There's still plenty of history they can follow with those characters.

Easy 6 05-10-2024 03:06 PM

Stoked for another season of this

BigBeauford 05-10-2024 03:08 PM

We just started this and the boiling thing is the most ****ed up thing I've seen on TV.

Tribal Warfare 05-10-2024 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17515865)
We just started this and the boiling thing is the most ****ed up thing I've seen on TV.

https://media.tenor.com/LomVfVPAlIIA...es-sausage.gif

dlphg9 05-10-2024 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17515597)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FX is looking to make Season 2 of ‘SHOGUN’<br><br>Hiroyuki Sanada is closing a deal to return.<br><br>(Source: Deadline) <a href="https://t.co/f3YI7FyJV5">pic.twitter.com/f3YI7FyJV5</a></p>&mdash; DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788960254622941643?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 10, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great news. There's still plenty of history they can follow with those characters.

Deadline was reporting that he did ink a deal

https://deadline.com/2024/05/hiroyuk...ma-1235911076/

BigBeauford 05-13-2024 08:18 AM

Oh man, that ending leaving like that. After the quality of that let them cook I guess, but they
Spoiler!

srvy 05-13-2024 10:00 AM

https://y.yarn.co/3767e7e0-1ecc-4e83...016ad_text.gif

lawrenceRaider 05-13-2024 12:18 PM

Loved the show so much I am now reading the book. Big heavy book, and is fantastic so far.

KC_Connection 05-16-2024 01:50 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seasons 2 and 3 for ‘SHOGUN’ are in the works.<br><br>Hiroyuki Sanada will return alongside showrunners Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo. <a href="https://t.co/hccjgqBxDi">pic.twitter.com/hccjgqBxDi</a></p>&mdash; DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791189852446208182?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 and 3!

BigRedChief 05-17-2024 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17522433)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seasons 2 and 3 for ‘SHOGUN’ are in the works.<br><br>Hiroyuki Sanada will return alongside showrunners Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo. <a href="https://t.co/hccjgqBxDi">pic.twitter.com/hccjgqBxDi</a></p>&mdash; DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791189852446208182?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 and 3!

The acting was fantastic but I also hope whoever was responsible for the overall quality of the show comes back for seasons 2 & 3. Quality shows are so rare. This stood out immediately. I hate reading movies. Definitely never did it for a TV show. Very happy I gave this a chance.

MMXcalibur 05-21-2024 11:51 PM

I would have been happy if the series ended after one season. Personally, I liked the ending.

On board for Seasons 2 and 3 as Shogun was one of the few times I eagerly looked forward to watching a show every week.