ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft NFL Excuses Run Out After Ratings Declines Continue (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311288)

vailpass 11-03-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 13195344)
A lot of grumpy old man complaining in here. Not sure why the average fan gives a shit about TV ratings in the first place.

Don't want to watch the Thursday night game? Then don't watch. No need to be pissed that it is taking place. The NFL will quit playing Thursday when they decide it isn't financially beneficial for them.

Complaining about too many penalties...you want them to call penalties or not?

The refs are the same as they always were. Replay and a million hi-def slo-mo angles just makes it easier to see the slightest thing they missed and have plays overturned.

Shut the **** up.

jimidollar 11-03-2017 01:53 PM

People are tired of seeing the Patriots win every ****ing year. Shit gets old.

BigCatDaddy 11-03-2017 02:06 PM

LMAO
The people saying the protest isnt having an effect are the same ones that said Kap wouldnt be viewed as toxic and have no trouble finding a job.

DaneMcCloud 11-03-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13195499)
LMAO
The people saying the protest isnt having an effect are the same ones that said Kap wouldnt be viewed as toxic and have no trouble finding a job.

It's not having an effect on Chiefs fans, as the Chiefs ratings are up.

BigCatDaddy 11-03-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13195516)
It's not having an effect on Chiefs fans, as the Chiefs ratings are up.

Those are pretty much the only ones I watch. I track scores and fantasy info on my phone.

And if KC was 2-6 I probably wouldn't watch them either.

sedated 11-03-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Greg Hardy got a job. Leonard Little got a job.

I don't think it was mere stupidity that developed the opinion Kaep would have no trouble playing again, just ignorance to how NFL teams/fans can easily overlook a wife-beater and virtually any other violent crime but ostracize a player who is perceived as disrespecting a symbol.

BigCatDaddy 11-03-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13195527)
Greg Hardy got a job. Leonard Little got a job.

I don't think it was mere stupidity that developed the opinion Kaep would have no trouble playing again, just ignorance to how NFL teams/fans can easily overlook a wife-beater and virtually any other violent crime but ostracize a player who is perceived as disrespecting a symbol.

The difference is having isolated incidents and week after week pissing of the fan base.

If a player showed up and beat his wife in front of the fans before the game each week you might have an arguement.

jjchieffan 11-03-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13194860)
Might be due in part to the fact that the Broncos suck Kevin Spacey ass this season, but I'm missing more games and just checking scores after the games are over. Turns out that I've seen enough football to know who the league wants to win without watching a game as it's happening.

I'm not pissed. I'm not protesting. I'm not boycotting. I'm just a little bored by the fact that the Donks are not currently a favored team getting all the breaks.

FYP

chiefzilla1501 11-03-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 13195263)
Type in “nfl burn notice“ on YouTube and see how many fans burn gear, tickets etc and swear off the NFL.

Fans from different teams burning their NFL stuff.

Every male on my block won’t even watch the NFL anymore. I went from watching every game possible to only watching the chiefs. Kneeling has caused a big fan base to turn elsewhere. No surprise viewing is down.

My neighborhood had a Halloween party and everyone was talking about they don’t even watch Monday night football anymore.

I have to watch because oh sure now the Chiefs will make it to the SB and no one will be watching or care lol

I have lots of friends who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.

Stewie 11-03-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13195204)
3 biggest markets:
1. NY - Giants are abysmal and everyone wrote off the Jets before the season started.
2. SF/Oakland - One horrible team, one team moving.
3. Chicago - poor team.

I think you need to readjust the definition of "biggest markets." Two that you mention aren't in the top 3 markets that have NFL teams.

BigCatDaddy 11-03-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13195540)
<B> I have lots of friends </B>who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.

At that point everyone knew the rest was bullshit.

Bugeater 11-03-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13195540)
I have lots of friends who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.

I think NASCAR's ratings are down for similar reasons...to me it's just not that interesting anymore. Something got lost when they went to the CoT, they ruined Bristol, boring cookie cutter tracks in place of classic ones like Darlington and North Wilkesboro, drivers aren't allowed to have personalities anymore, constant changes in the rules...I could go on and on.

Hydrae 11-03-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Nuts McGee (Post 13195568)
I think NASCAR's ratings are down for similar reasons...to me it's just not that interesting anymore. Something got lost when they went to the CoT, they ruined Bristol, boring cookie cutter tracks in place of classic ones like Darlington and North Wilkesboro, drivers aren't allowed to have personalities anymore, constant changes in the rules...I could go on and on.

Go back about 10-15 years ago and I watched NASCAR every Sunday when it was not NFL season and even some during the season. The whole playoffs crap is what really turned me off. I may watch parts of a few races a year now. No real interest any more.

chiefzilla1501 11-03-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Yup. That's the way I feel about the NFL. And I could give two shits about the protests.

College football is still fun to watch. But in the NFL... I'm tired of injuries and penalties. I despise Thursday night football and London games with every inch of my body. I'm tired of watching the same QBs win every week and to get screwed over by refs who are getting worse enforcing rules that favor those same QBs. I hate that they turned the NFL draft into a great time of the year into a circus. Every single no good lousy decision seems to have Goodell's idiot fingerprints on them.

TinyEvel 11-03-2017 03:42 PM

Okay, so of the people you know who’ve stopped watching games because of the protests, is it because they are siding with the protestors (not watching until steps are made to create equality and reduce police brutality toward people of color) or is it because they don’t want to see people protesting, they hate that and it’s ruined the game for them.

DaneMcCloud 11-03-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 13195541)
I think you need to readjust the definition of "biggest markets." Two that you mention aren't in the top 3 markets that have NFL teams.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas-Fort Worth
6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

thegame214 11-03-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13195544)
At that point everyone knew the rest was bullshit.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Deberg_1990 11-03-2017 04:18 PM

I think most of it is just generational and changing viewing habits. Cord-cutting which has already been mentioned.

Ive read that 40 years ago, the most popular sports in the US were Baseball, Boxing and Horse racing.

There is soooo much competition for the entertainment dollar nowadays. So many more options than 40, 30, 20 even 10 years ago.

Times change....

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-03-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Know how I know you didn't read the article?

rico 11-03-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13195667)
Okay, so of the people you know who’ve stopped watching games because of the protests, is it because they are siding with the protestors (not watching until steps are made to create equality and reduce police brutality toward people of color) or is it because they don’t want to see people protesting, they hate that and it’s ruined the game for them.

The ones I know who have stopped watching, have done so because they don't want to see or hear about the protests.

My dad stopped watching and stopped maintaining or even checking his fantasy football teams because of the protests... So did my brother. One of my best friends stopped watching, not necessarily because he is offended by the protests, but because he is sick of hearing about them/seeing them when he watches. A couple guys I work with did this as well. A few acquaintances here and there. Really, I know of quite a few people from my area who stopped watching because of it.

It's been really annoying. These NFL players are going to feel the way they do about sociological/political issues and that is their right and no one should ever prevent them from formulating their opinions. However, it becomes annoying if they actually believe their protests during football games are going to accomplish anything in their favor. It becomes even more annoying when some (probably most) of these players don't even understand the reasons as to why they are protesting...they are doing it while simultaneously not understanding the complexities of the situation and/or are attempting to garner attention via being the distraction that they know it is causing. It annoys me when I want to have an NFL football conversation with someone who usually enjoys the NFL, but cuts me off mid-sentence to let me know that they aren't watching because they are disgruntled about the protests.

I'm not going to get into their right to protest and what-not...I understand that it's their right to do what they are doing...It's just annoying because I see what they are doing as being counter-productive. Yes, I understand that I am from a non-populated area, so there is probably a smaller, less diverse sample size in terms of who I have spoken to. But it's not like there aren't multiple regions across the nation that are similar to my own...it adds up. For these players who actually do feel passionate about the sociological issues they claim to be protesting and are trying to make a statement (not just try to garner attention), I just wish they would make their statement somewhere else or in some different way because purposely protesting during the games will accomplish nothing for their cause. If anything, it will make things worse. I enjoy the NFL and really dislike the apathy of the longtime fans that has resulted due to the protests.

Fish 11-03-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 13195733)
The ones I know who have stopped watching, have done so because they don't want to see or hear about the protests.

My dad stopped watching and stopped maintaining or even checking his fantasy football teams because of the protests... So did my brother. One of my best friends stopped watching, not necessarily because he is offended by the protests, but because he is sick of hearing about them/seeing them when he watches. A couple guys I work with did this as well. A few acquaintances here and there. Really, I know of quite a few people from my area who stopped watching because of it.

It's been really annoying. These NFL players are going to feel the way they do about sociological/political issues and that is their right and no one should ever prevent them from formulating their opinions. However, it becomes annoying if they actually believe their protests during football games are going to accomplish anything in their favor. It becomes even more annoying when some (probably most) of these players don't even understand the reasons as to why they are protesting...they are doing it while simultaneously not understanding the complexities of the situation and/or are attempting to garner attention via being the distraction that they know it is causing. It annoys me when I want to have an NFL football conversation with someone who usually enjoys the NFL, but cuts me off mid-sentence to let me know that they aren't watching because they are disgruntled about the protests.

I'm not going to get into their right to protest and what-not...I understand that it's their right to do what they are doing...It's just annoying because I see what they are doing as being counter-productive. Yes, I understand that I am from a non-populated area, so there is probably a smaller, less diverse sample size in terms of who I have spoken to. But it's not like there aren't multiple regions across the nation that are similar to my own...it adds up. For these players who actually do feel passionate about the sociological issues they claim to be protesting and are trying to make a statement (not just try to garner attention), I just wish they would make their statement somewhere else or in some different way because purposely protesting during the games will accomplish nothing for their cause. If anything, it will make things worse. I enjoy the NFL and really dislike the apathy of the longtime fans that has resulted due to the protests.

Man, that's some bullshit.

rico 11-03-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13195765)
Man, that's some bullshit.

Yeah... pisses me off. One of the leagues is one that I am commissioner of, so I am constantly on them about it because obviously when they stop maintaining their lineups, it makes things unfair for the other people who are still participating. It's been a headache.

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-03-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 13195777)
Yeah... pisses me off. One of the leagues is one that I am commissioner of, so I am constantly on them about it because obviously when they stop maintaining their lineups, it makes things unfair for the other people who are still participating. It's been a headache.

Look on the bright side, little buddy.

You're not the only dipshit in the family.

Dinny

rico 11-03-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Bossa Nova (Post 13195794)
Look on the bright side, little buddy.

You're not the only dipshit in the family.

Dinny

Alright.....

Bugeater 11-03-2017 06:26 PM

LMAO

JohnnyV13 11-03-2017 07:21 PM

DicrecTV has a streaming service. Just launched recently. No dish.

DaFace 11-03-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 13195998)
DicrecTV has a streaming service. Just launched recently. No dish.

Still doesn't include any way to buy NFL Sunday Ticket, nor does it have anywhere near the same number of channels the satellite-based service has.

DaFace 11-03-2017 07:27 PM

To me, it's a combination of a ton of things, including:
  1. Changing preferences (half of my friends give zero ****s about sports, and I'm in my 30's; younger kids seem to have even less interest)
  2. A constant stream of decisions that have been made in the past ~15 years that have slowed the game down, increased the role that subjective officiating plays, and reduced the amount of athleticism in the game through far fewer practices and rules that have removed big hits (though I don't disagree with that one philosophically, you have to admit that "jacked up" was more fun)
  3. The sports media, like all media, trying to make "news" out of every little controversy rather than just focusing on the game.

ForeverChiefs58 11-03-2017 07:35 PM

Which one of you is this?

https://youtu.be/wIan2Zpg4YI

More

https://youtu.be/ZWPnz-damdA

https://youtu.be/7EfHsLB6v8s

Sorce 11-03-2017 10:01 PM

For those who doubt the officiating being part of the decline: https://deadspin.com/take-away-the-refs-mics-1820074611

Quote:

You can go back and look at the average penalties per team per game over the past nine years and see it:

2017 6.86
2016 6.64
2015 6.87
2014 6.60
2013 6.08
2012 6.22
2011 6.32
2010 6.02
2009 5.93

threebag 11-03-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 13196008)

BigRedChief or one of the Floridians

BigCatDaddy 11-03-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 13196186)
For those who doubt the officiating being part of the decline: https://deadspin.com/take-away-the-refs-mics-1820074611

1 penalty more per game does the trick, huh?

Rain Man 11-03-2017 11:06 PM

If I had to rank the reasons for the decline, I'd go with...

1. More ways to watch, including ways that don't get measured. Fantasy football is probably responsible for a decline because a bunch of people now just watch those scoring summary shows. Others don't bother watching live because they can get a replay later.

2. Less interest in football due to the rise of video games and other electronic entertainment.

3. Less interesting seasons because it's always going to be the Patriots, Packers, and Steelers for the past two decades. And your team has no chance without a lights-out quarterback.

4. Less interesting games because it's more about marketing big-name players and scoring lots of points than it is about sports and teamwork. It's becoming obvious that it's a business, and rule changes and enforcement hammer it home.

5. Less interesting games because defense isn't allowed.

6. Cheating by a few teams that tilts the table.

7. Less interest because fewer kids are playing due to health concerns.

8. Aqib Talib.

cosmo20002 11-03-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 13196186)

Less than 1? OMG

I wonder which penalties people would rather not have called. Which should be ignored?

BlackOp 11-04-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13194537)

John Schnatter, who appears in TV spots on behalf of his Papa John’s Pizza International Inc., laid into the league on a conference call this week, blaming the ratings for his company’s slow revenue growth and calling for the league to put an end to player protests.

This is why the NFL is dying...you have the owner of a Pizza company ordering the owners of the NFL to do change things to increase his revenue growth.

This is partially why you get the predetermined SB match-ups and the rigged outcomes.

The NFL is merely a televised vehicle to sell unrelated products now...essentially, they pay their bills. The NFL answers to them...

007 11-04-2017 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13196281)
This is why the NFL is dying...you have the owner of a Pizza company ordering the owners of the NFL to do change things to increase his revenue growth.

This is partially why you get the predetermined SB match-ups and the rigged outcomes.

The NFL is merely a televised vehicle to sell unrelated products now...essentially, they pay their bills. The NFL answers to them...

I'd love to get back to the day when all that mattered was the win. Not the money, not the bottom line.

Yes, I know owners are always about the money and bottom line, but I don't think they give a shit about the win anymore.

Mosbonian 11-04-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13196191)

Not me....that guy has way too much hair than us older guys.

threebag 11-04-2017 05:38 AM

LMAO

:thumb:

HemiEd 11-04-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13195713)
I think most of it is just generational and changing viewing habits. Cord-cutting which has already been mentioned.

Ive read that 40 years ago, the most popular sports in the US were Baseball, Boxing and Horse racing.

There is soooo much competition for the entertainment dollar nowadays. So many more options than 40, 30, 20 even 10 years ago.

Times change....

Great point.

I have posted it before, but in the 70s and into the 80s Tennis was a huge deal, on prime time on a regular basis. Jimmy Connors, Chis Evert etc. were household names.

NHRA drag racing has been fighting this problem for decades, the fan demographic is getting very old.

I think all of the points in this thread are contributors. Nobody went to SBI nor did many care. I doubt if it gets back to that point, but I think the NFL is going to continue to see a decline.

chiefzilla1501 11-04-2017 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13196242)
If I had to rank the reasons for the decline, I'd go with...

1. More ways to watch, including ways that don't get measured. Fantasy football is probably responsible for a decline because a bunch of people now just watch those scoring summary shows. Others don't bother watching live because they can get a replay later.

2. Less interest in football due to the rise of video games and other electronic entertainment.

3. Less interesting seasons because it's always going to be the Patriots, Packers, and Steelers for the past two decades. And your team has no chance without a lights-out quarterback.

4. Less interesting games because it's more about marketing big-name players and scoring lots of points than it is about sports and teamwork. It's becoming obvious that it's a business, and rule changes and enforcement hammer it home.

5. Less interesting games because defense isn't allowed.

6. Cheating by a few teams that tilts the table.

7. Less interest because fewer kids are playing due to health concerns.

8. Aqib Talib.

Bring in a new commissioner. Tear up that ridiculous directv contract unless it comes with streaming options, and offer an mlb like package of media options. Get rid of arbitrary flags and let players have personalities again. Renegotiate the CBA with a genuine interest in player safety, starting with extending offseason conditioning programs. Get rid of tnf and concentrate 100% of energy on getting marquee snf and mnf games. Get rid of London and focus on the home court.

All pretty simple things to do for owners who care more about the game than the $.

TinyEvel 11-04-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13196338)
Great point.

I have posted it before, but in the 70s and into the 80s Tennis was a huge deal, on prime time on a regular basis. Jimmy Connors, Chis Evert etc. were household names.

NHRA drag racing has been fighting this problem for decades, the fan demographic is getting very old.

I think all of the points in this thread are contributors. Nobody went to SBI nor did many care. I doubt if it gets back to that point, but I think the NFL is going to continue to see a decline.

I agree. I mean, when was the last time you saw roller derby or a demolition derby on nationally televised tv? When you think about it, all the derby are dying out. Fishing derbies, even the restaurant the Brown Derby is no more. If it ran the Kentucky Derby I would take some seriously defensive marketing operations right now.

GloucesterChief 11-04-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13196338)
Great point.

Tennis has a dearth of American stars right now. That is why I think it is lagging at least in the states.

Rain Man 11-04-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13196455)
I agree. I mean, when was the last time you saw roller derby or a demolition derby on nationally televised tv? When you think about it, all the derby are dying out. Fishing derbies, even the restaurant the Brown Derby is no more. If it ran the Kentucky Derby I would take some seriously defensive marketing operations right now.

Bowlers have lost popularity as well. People don't watch them and people don't wear them.

Rain Man 11-04-2017 09:31 AM

The Papa John whining is particularly annoying. The NFL gave his company millions and millions of dollars of free publicity by giving them a Super Bowl. It was the most blatant corporate sellout in sports history, and it cost the league untold amounts of credibility. And now the guy is complaining because he wants more? I don't buy Papa John's, because I want the NFL to survive. Screw that guy and his pizza company.

CapsLockKey 11-04-2017 09:42 AM

One huge problem is they've locked themselves into the old ways of distributing their product for the quick buck and fallen behind the times. Exclusivity agreements is killing their viewership. People are fed up with paying ridiculous prices for a huge TV package they don't even want 95% of just to get the one thing they are after.

They are completely out of touch with the younger generation in their marketing. I can't stand the NBA but my teenage kids are obsessed with it so they must be doing doing something right. NFL they are semi interested only because I've forced the Chiefs on them since birth, but even then it's hard to get them to sit through more than a half before they lose interest. They'd rather catch the highlights on YouTube after the fact than sit though it live for 3-4 hours with half of it being commercials.

GayFrogs 11-04-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsLockKey (Post 13196509)
One huge problem is they've locked themselves into the old ways of distributing their product for the quick buck and fallen behind the times. Exclusivity agreements is killing their viewership. People are fed up with paying ridiculous prices for a huge TV package they don't even want 95% of just to get the one thing they are after.

They are completely out of touch with the younger generation in their marketing. I can't stand the NBA but my teenage kids are obsessed with it so they must be doing doing something right. NFL they are semi interested only because I've forced the Chiefs on them since birth, but even then it's hard to get them to sit through more than a half before they lose interest. They'd rather catch the highlights on YouTube after the fact than sit though it live for 3-4 hours with half of it being commercials.

Anecdotal evidence...I have to watch the game at my parents' house because I don't have cable. Football is literally the only thing I need a TV to enjoy.

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13196000)
Still doesn't include any way to buy NFL Sunday Ticket, nor does it have anywhere near the same number of channels the satellite-based service has.

Direct TV NOW has more than 130 channels, including HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore and Cinemax. It *looks* like they don't have as many channels because it's not necessary to promote 12 HBO's, 4 Cinemax, 16 Starz/Encore, etc., but if you look carefully, every channel that you'd presumably want is there. The price for every channel is $96 dollars, substantially less than the cost of a satellite, DVR, DVR service, HD service and the Premium package.

As for Sunday Ticket, I've been told that just like every other channel, it's a licensing agreement issue and that it's very possible that it will be available next Fall for Direct TV NOW.

Direct TV would be wise to open up Sunday Ticket to non-Direct TV subscribers but as in most cases, dinosaurs run these companies and they're generally 5 years behind the public's needs.

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13196339)
Tear up that ridiculous directv contract unless it comes with streaming options

That deal with the NFL isn't set to expire until after the 2021 season, so it's up to Direct TV, not the NFL, as to how they distribute the Sunday Ticket.

Streaming requires a different set of licenses so if the Direct TV were to offer a streaming only package, they'd have to do so with the consent of the NFL.

bigjosh 11-04-2017 11:59 AM

I hate the NFLs exclusivity agreements.

EA sports has killed football video games for the last decade. 2K did it better, microsoft game studios did it better, **** even midway did it better. **** madden.

DTV has ****ed people wanting to watch their non local teams for years.

I miss the old days where you could get an adidas jersey, starter jacket, reebok hat, and nike gloves all with chiefs shit on them, while playing NFL live and telling people that like madden that they were bundle of stickss.

Bwana 11-04-2017 12:13 PM

I have to hand it to the guys that were saying Papa Johns pizza sucks. I hadn't ordered one for years so I gave it a shot last night. Some meth head shows up with my pizza and some wings last night after about an hour. They got one of the ingredients wrong but it was close enough so I tied into the first piece. It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece. I literally wouldn't even give it to my dogs, I just tossed it. The wings were soso, but nothing I would ever order again. They also forgot the ranch with the order. Papa John and old 5 head can both kiss my ass.

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 13196709)
It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece.

That was my experience as well, even though I had only a single slice and I'm pretty sure I tossed most of it when no one was looking.

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 12:20 PM

In retrospect, I've been watching far less than in the past due to all of the Chiefs Prime Time games this season.

When the Chiefs are on at 10am PST, it's easier to kick back and watch all afternoon but when they're in Prime Time, whether it's been Sunday, Monday or Thursday night, I tend to spend my Sunday's being more productive.

O.city 11-04-2017 12:28 PM

Yeah I'm kind of ready for the noon games to be back

I like prime time but damn

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13196734)
Yeah I'm kind of ready for the noon games to be back

I like prime time but damn

Yeah, it *sounds* exciting to start the season but in many ways, it just prolongs the week.

I think I'd be happier with 2-3 Prime Time games as opposed to 6.

Valiant 11-04-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH (Post 13194539)
One thing they could do is to make the games more accessible to other viewing mediums like MLB does. As the article states, more people just aren't watching TV the way they used to.

Maybe another thing to do is get rid of the announcers. I find them mostly irritating and turn down the game and turn up the music.

I think it would be an interesting test. Run a contest for every team. Select one to two of the most knowledgeable fans on their teams. Then have them in the broadcast booth adding some flair and actual knowledge to the viewers. Friendly smacktalk. Have a professional in there also to keep things in line and moving forward.

Fairplay 11-04-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

I have to hand it to the guys that were saying Papa Johns pizza sucks. I hadn't ordered one for years so I gave it a shot last night. Some meth head shows up with my pizza and some wings last night after about an hour. They got one of the ingredients wrong but it was close enough so I tied into the first piece. It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece. I literally wouldn't even give it to my dogs, I just tossed it. The wings were soso, but nothing I would ever order again. They also forgot the ranch with the order. Papa John and old 5 head can both kiss my ass.

Funny story

ROFL

Seriously though most pizza has way too much salt on it that I find myself drinking lots of water afterwards so I usually just eat two pieces of whatever kind is on my plate, usually through work function or parties as I don't eat it normally.

When asked what kind of pizza do you like? I'll say I don't like pepperoni and I get read the riot act like I'm not normal so I just say whatever it doesn't matter. I'd rather eat my own food anyway.

Buehler445 11-04-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13194594)
I used to watch every game possible, now it's just Chiefs, and even then I am thinking about doing something else.

I am probably in the minority, but it's officiating for me. The game is harder and harder to watch.

Officiating is part of it, some of it is rules, some is bad coaching, some is injuries, but the end result of that is a SHITLOAD of bad ****ing football. Just a ****ing mountain of it.

There has been some good football. Hell, when the Chiefs were rolling early it was fun to watch. Atlanta, when Shanarat Junior was still there could roll out some beautiful plays. Cam Newton, when his moron ass coaches don't think he needs to run a draw on 3rd and 5 can be really fun to watch.

But that shit is few and far between. Far more often, we get Bortles throwing balls right to the other ****ing guy, OL asshats that can't seem to even fall down in front of a guy to slow them down. LBs that don't know gap assignments, DB's that can't cover without a flag, Coaches that subscribe to the Squirmin Herman Mother****ing Sack of **** Edwards newsletter featuring the vaunted R2P2. It's just not very good far too often.

From my perspective:

1. I am busy. I grew up and got some responsibility. It seems like I hear a lot of people saying that everyone is busier. I believe it. Kids these days do way more activities (and less work) than I did at their ages. There is just a lot of shit going on. Less time to sit and watch football.

2. Bad football. See above. Less appealing. Easier to go find something else to do.

3. Bad commercials. I don't know if the commercials are actually worse or if I am just less tolerant. Either way, son of a bitch some of the commercials are terribad. Makes it far easier, when coupled with bad football to shut that ****ing shit off.

4. Too much shit that's not about football. I don't give a **** about the narratives that one who sucks the peniss are spewing all over the place. Social Justice, suspensions, revenge, what the **** ever these assfaces feel compelled to talk about besides the football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 13194607)
Some uppity black men made them uncomfortable and in their temper tantrum they want to watch it all burn.

They were reminded they hate the players more then the love the game.

For ****s ****ing sake. Stop listening to Bomani Jones. If you can't do that, keep that moronic shit in DC.

FlaChief58 11-04-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13196191)

Not it!

St. Patty's Fire 11-04-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13196281)

What the? I thought Papa John just wanted to give the Denver turf guy his time in the limelight?

He won't be gettiing anymore Papa Blessings from me, that's for sure.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

ROFL

I haven't had one of their pizza's in years but when they first went national, it was pretty good. Definitely better than the other chains at the time. But that happens to every pizza company; the bigger they get, the worse the quality becomes over time. Pizza Hut today is NOTHING like it was in the 70's and early 80's.
As near as I can tell, only Dominoes has made an effort to keep the crust legit and evolve with the times in terms of toppings. A lot of people seem to dislike them, though. Godfathers seems to be making a comeback but I haven't been compelled to give them a try.
Most people I know buy a good cheese pizza at the store and then load it up with their own toppings. I like making a Chef Boyardee pizza now and again myself. If you can make one of those work, you definitely know your shit.

As to the football...

I started watching pro ball in the mid 70's as a youngster. Off the top of my head I would say that the pro game was golden from the time of the AFL until about the mid 2000's. From the time I turned KC off(1999-2008)until I came back, you could tell that the entire tone of the game had changed, and not for the better. It didn't help that the Chiefs were sucking heap big shit at the time, but even the teams that were doing well weren't churning out a very watchable product. The focus had shifted almost entirely to offense and the elements of defensive play that had brought me to the table to begin with were dead or dying.
I just looked up Goodell's tenure: 2006-present. What a shock. I'm shocked I say. Jeez...
And now, certain elements of everyday living and the assault of politics that we could all enjoy a break from on Sunday have become a part of the package as well. It's no surprise to me at all that people are turning away or becoming less involved. Add to that the growing suspicion of a scripted outcome, and it's the beginning of the end.

RippedmyFlesh 11-04-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13197020)
Add to that the growing suspicion of a scripted outcome,

This has gone from a tin foil hat idea to a legitimate concern sadly. Way worse to me than any anthem bull shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 13197036)
This has gone from a tin foil hat idea to a legitimate concern sadly. Way worse to me than any anthem bull shit.

The evidence/coincidences are pretty compelling.

Fish 11-04-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/YGMwruN.jpg

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 13196815)
Seriously though most pizza has way too much salt on it that I find myself drinking lots of water afterwards so I usually just eat two pieces of whatever kind is on my plate, usually through work function or parties as I don't eat it normally

Yeah, that's cheap, shitty pizza.

I don't touch "poverty pizza" and I don't serve it at birthday parties, either.

Gross.

kcchiefsus 11-04-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13197142)
Yeah, that's cheap, shitty pizza.

I don't touch "poverty pizza" and I don't serve it at birthday parties, either.

Gross.

Mr. high and mighty piece of shit

Bob Dole 11-04-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13196798)
I think it would be an interesting test. Run a contest for every team. Select one to two of the most knowledgeable fans on their teams. Then have them in the broadcast booth adding some flair and actual knowledge to the viewers. Friendly smacktalk. Have a professional in there also to keep things in line and moving forward.

I got to lay the knowledge on an Arkansas fan today that Coastal Carolina one had a QB that made it to the NFL

threebag 11-04-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13197192)
I got to lay the knowledge on an Arkansas fan today that Coastal Carolina one had a QB that made it to the NFL

Hell Yeah

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 13197158)
Mr. high and mighty piece of shit

It's called being courteous and respecting your guests.

When people take 3-4 hours out of their Saturday or Sunday, pay for parking and bring a gift (that are usually in excess of $20 dollars), I provide quality food.

This past summer, I ordered a dozen pizzas from Santa Monica Pizza company along with a couple of deli tray's from Art's.

I'm not buying Subway and Little Caesar's or Domino's.

threebag 11-04-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13197202)
It's called being courteous and respecting your guests.

When people take 3-4 hours out of their Saturday or Sunday, pay for parking and bring a gift (that are usually in excess of $20 dollars), I provide quality food.

This past summer, I ordered a dozen pizzas from Santa Monica Pizza company along with a couple of deli tray's from Art's.

I'm not buying Subway and Little Caesar's or Domino's.

I won't buy my guests or co-workers anythjng I wouldn't eat myself.

DaneMcCloud 11-04-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13197217)

Exactly

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13197217)

I'm sure your Doritos and Cheez-Whiz plates are the stuff of legend.

FlaChief58 11-04-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13197261)
I'm sure your Doritos and Cheez-Whiz plates are the stuff of legend.

Doritos? Must be nice to have that kind of cash to throw around...

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 13197292)
Doritos? Must be nice to have that kind of cash to throw around...

LMAO

BigRedChief 11-04-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13196560)
That deal with the NFL isn't set to expire until after the 2021 season, so it's up to Direct TV, not the NFL, as to how they distribute the Sunday Ticket.

Streaming requires a different set of licenses so if the Direct TV were to offer a streaming only package, they'd have to do so with the consent of the NFL.

satellite TV is not an option for me. Way to many thunderstorms knocking out my entertainment at inconvient times. And then I've got to get a separate provider for broadband access.

The NFL or Direct TV needs to license it out to streaming.

FlaChief58 11-04-2017 10:23 PM

For me, my die hard attitude towards the NFL changed over time as the internet gave me easy access to data, specifically the Chiefs. Having lived outside of the Chiefs market most of my life, I used to rely on a 20 second spot on ESPN or a couple of lines in the local paper for all of my Chiefs news. Now I can tune out all of the BS on ESPN/NFLN etc and get everything I want pertaining to the Chiefs with a touch of a button.
I stream the games I want to watch (chiefs) not because I'm not willing to pay for them, but because I don't want to pay for access to a bunch of games I have no interest in since I don't gamble or play FF.
The NFL needs to take people like myself into consideration and make individual games available at a reasonable cost. Ratings would most certainly return to normal if they would listen to their target audience.

mr. tegu 11-05-2017 12:19 AM

If sports betting was legalized everywhere the next NFL Sunday would have the highest ratings ever and everyone (except the bettors) would make more money than they thought possible.

DaneMcCloud 11-05-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13197404)
satellite TV is not an option for me. Way to many thunderstorms knocking out my entertainment at inconvient times. And then I've got to get a separate provider for broadband access.

The NFL or Direct TV needs to license it out to streaming.

Agreed, 100%.

They’re limiting their audience

ChiefGator 11-05-2017 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13197562)
If sports betting was legalized everywhere the next NFL Sunday would have the highest ratings ever and everyone (except the bettors) would make more money than they thought possible.

You think? My belief is people who want to bet on games are already finding ways to bet. And those that don't, probably don't care to.

I'm in the later group though, so I may be wrong.

Lightrise 11-05-2017 06:29 AM

I bailed because of commercials mostly. I ditched Sunday ticket after a year in which the Chiefs were on broadcast TV 8 times in my area (outside KC). It took me about 3 weeks on Redzone to get hooked...no commercials and I love it. It's a very exciting way to watch. But I do see several issues that need addressing...

1. Thursday has to go.
2. Pregame is horrible...NFL network is the best, but even it isn't working as well as it should. Some of it is stupid, lone wolf and the silliness. I really miss Playbook with Sterling Sharpe. That was interesting. Stadium reports are dumb too...don't need to see someone get off a bus.
3. Officials - way too many penalties and for God's sake...clean up pass interference, is it, or isn't it a catch BS and eliminate replay after a score except in the last 2 minutes.
4. Force Kickoff returns unless the kick is out of the endzone on the fly
5. Eliminate all pre-season games in exchange for bigger rosters that have to be cut in phases through the first half of the season. It adds a new element to the game...managing players for rest/injury/player development etc.
6. Move the NFL draft up, it's too late now.
7. narrow the goal post by a foot

You can't stop the ratings decline...but you sure can slow the rate of decline and all the above can be cleaned up in 1 year. The thing about expanded rosters is that you can mandate a given player can only play x amount of games...stars will be born and injuries will be less impactive.

cooper barrett 11-05-2017 07:51 AM

So what you're both saying in different ways is that once both sports tried to "grow" their business instead of enjoying their success. trying to get more market share and more money, the fans seemed to lose interest, ratings fell, and suddenly the fan base was one that really didn't give a real shit about the sport but were just there because it used to be cool?

I personally would watch more football if it were a sport again and not so much an entertainment program. When helmets used to come off and the fights ensued the NFL started going to commercial... Been going downhill ever since.

When NFL Football and NASCAR had to be everything to everybody, I for one slowly lost interest.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13195642)
Yup. That's the way I feel about the NFL. And I could give two shits about the protests.

College football is still fun to watch. But in the NFL... I'm tired of injuries and penalties. I despise Thursday night football and London games with every inch of my body. I'm tired of watching the same QBs win every week and to get screwed over by refs who are getting worse enforcing rules that favor those same QBs. I hate that they turned the NFL draft into a great time of the year into a circus. Every single no good lousy decision seems to have Goodell's idiot fingerprints on them.