ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Well, Bye, Kansas City... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308263)

Ming the Merciless 06-13-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 12915249)
We were once refused service at the Burger King

I know when I truly want to judge an area, I always go to a fast food restaurant and base my experience on that..

Wow...

Not to derail the thread but you seem like a complete dipshit who is probably amazed when you and your shitty attitude don't get good service ...LOL!!!

People like you are why it sucks to work in the service industry

sd4chiefs 06-13-2017 06:10 PM

I was born and raised in Kansas City. I lived there for 40 years. I moved to San Diego with my family 20 years ago and I love it here. I do miss the BBQ, going to the Chiefs and Royals games, and the low cost of living. I would move back to Kansas City in a heart beat if it wasn't for the jungle heat summers there.

lewdog 06-13-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

We were once refused service at the Burger King (Eastlake) directly in front of the Costco because we didn't speak Spanish. Honest to God - the female employee turned her back and walked into the back room. Great Times!! :)

ROFL

I live in Mexico USA and have never been refused services. Even in an all Spanish speaking establishment and I don't speak Spanish.

You were probably being a dick about something, dick.

Bearcat 06-13-2017 06:27 PM

I never minded KC's weather much when I lived there (even while traveling to LA a few times per year), but the weather there seems a bit ridiculous to me now.

Bugeater 06-13-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915301)
I never minded KC's weather much when I lived there (even while traveling to LA a few times per year), but the weather there seems a bit ridiculous to me now.

Have you spent a full summer down there yet?

Buzz 06-13-2017 06:42 PM

So, just checking for understanding, you got shit canned and could't find another job in K.C.? Not that it matters, wishing you the best of luck.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915301)

Strange, isn't it?

I always knew it was hot and humid in the summer, with often crazy ice storms and rain in the Spring. But after living in Los Angeles for my first year and heading back to KC, I couldn't believe it.

Earlier this year, we were in town in early March for six days. The first couple of days were cold and windy. The next couple were hot and extremely humid, with swirling hot and cold winds. From chilly to sweating in a matter of hours.

On our return, it was 75 and extremely windy and humid. We were stuck in the KCI airport for four hours due to tornadoes and rain in the area. Despite being 75, the HEAT was on at KCI and everyone, from airport restaurant employees to people waiting for flight were absolutely dripping in sweat.

I was told that the city controls the thermostat at KCI.

Neato.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 12915315)
So, just checking for understanding, you got shit canned and could't find another job in K.C.? Not that it matters, wishing you the best of luck.

With all due respect, and I probably shouldn't speak for TinyE, I don't doubt that there are very few job opportunities in his field in KC that pay comeasurate with his experience.

Bearcat 06-13-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12915306)
Have you spent a full summer down there yet?

No, but I don't live in the valley, so it usually doesn't get above 100.... a lot of days in the high 80s/low 90s, but last year there were only 20 days over 95 and only 4 of those were 100+.

And even when it gets into the 90s, it still cools down into the low 70s or even high 60s at night (low 50s the past few nights)... as opposed to KC, where you might not catch one night to open the windows for a month at a time.

I went to a spring training game and it was 95... obviously still pretty warm, but we sat in the shade the entire game and it was fine. Went back to KC a few weeks ago and it's already starting to feel sticky to me, heh.

Speaking of, Phoenix is starting to get up there.... 115+ early next week. :eek:

Deberg_1990 06-13-2017 07:07 PM

Congrats and Best of luck TinyE!

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915337)
Speaking of, Phoenix is starting to get up there.... 115+ early next week. :eek:

But it's a "dry" heat.

:D

(Actually, it really is far different)

Bearcat 06-13-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915330)
Strange, isn't it?

I always knew it was hot and humid in the summer, with often crazy ice storms and rain in the Spring. But after living in Los Angeles for my first year and heading back to KC, I couldn't believe it.

Earlier this year, we were in town in early March for six days. The first couple of days were cold and windy. The next couple were hot and extremely humid, with swirling hot and cold winds. From chilly to sweating in a matter of hours.

On our return, it was 75 and extremely windy and humid. We were stuck in the KCI airport for four hours due to tornadoes and rain in the area. Despite being 75, the HEAT was on at KCI and everyone, from airport restaurant employees to people waiting for flight were absolutely dripping in sweat.

I was told that the city controls the thermostat at KCI.

Neato.

I'm going back at the end of July and figured I'd suffocate then... what I didn't realize was the humidity would bug me a few weeks ago when it was only 65-70 out.

Sure, my skin is flaking off here and I now have a whole skin regime thing, but that whole weekend was just... sticky.

I'll click on KC weather every once in a while since it's still a favorite on wunderground, and it's kind of amusing.... winter looked great compared to the 3rd Spring in a row where it just rained and rained and rained, I noticed there was one week where it looked perfect in the low 80s and sunny, and now it's in the low-mid 90s. Ouch.

We get 30+ degree swings here every day/night, but it's very consistent day to day.... we've had weeks where it's in the low-mid 60s early in the morning and low-mid 80s in the afternoon. And it's always sunny (and without DST, it's sunny at like 4:45am, heh).

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915350)
We get 30+ degree swings here every day/night, but it's very consistent day to day.... we've had weeks where it's in the low-mid 60s early in the morning and low-mid 80s in the afternoon. And it's always sunny (and without DST, it's sunny at like 4:45am, heh).

Same here.

56 degrees this morning at 8am, 88 degrees at 4pm.

I'll have the windows open by 8:30 tonight.

ToxSocks 06-13-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

My Lease home was $3,450 per month. To buy said house was well over $500,000 for a house that you could buy in KC for $200,000 MAX. Not a brand new home, either.

Eastlake backs up to Chula Vista (or didn't you know that?)

I suppose we COULD have lived in National City - but the stink of the Ocean ruled that out.. :)

We were once refused service at the Burger King (Eastlake) directly in front of the Costco because we didn't speak Spanish. Honest to God - the female employee turned her back and walked into the back room. Great Times!! :)

Thanks but no thanks....I'd prefer to leave the rest out (out of politeness).

Look, if it's your thing then good on you! I'm truly happy for you. Just wasn't for me.

Eastlake is chula vista, but its so far removed from old school chula vista that theyre nowhere near considered the same communities. Not even close to the same kind of living exprience. And im sorry but being refused service because you dont speak spanish? That sounds awfully fabricated....or at least missing some pretty big details.

And theres no need to be polite, lol. This is chiefsplanet!

Oh and yeah if you cant handle a community like eastlake then theres pretty much no way in hell you could live ANYWHERE in CA, certainly not a shit hole like national city.

But i get you now....most people dont refer to the ocean as stinky...

Rain Man 06-13-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915350)
I'm going back at the end of July and figured I'd suffocate then... what I didn't realize was the humidity would bug me a few weeks ago when it was only 65-70 out.

Sure, my skin is flaking off here and I now have a whole skin regime thing, but that whole weekend was just... sticky.

I'll click on KC weather every once in a while since it's still a favorite on wunderground, and it's kind of amusing.... winter looked great compared to the 3rd Spring in a row where it just rained and rained and rained, I noticed there was one week where it looked perfect in the low 80s and sunny, and now it's in the low-mid 90s. Ouch.

I marked Missouri off my half-marathon list last month with a race in Joplin. I got lucky on the temperature as it was in the low 60s, but the humidity was 97 percent. That's not an estimate; it's what the weather report showed. It was more of a swim than a run.

ToxSocks 06-13-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12915298)
ROFL

I live in Mexico USA and have never been refused services. Even in an all Spanish speaking establishment and I don't speak Spanish.

You were probably being a dick about something, dick.

Ditto and ive gone to legit spanish establishments that are clearly hiring illegals. Never had an issue and i dont speak spanish either.

Keep in mind as well that we're talking about eastlake, the community isnt exactly "wealthy" but its certainly upscale. Its mostly pcaked with white people and flips. Its not a place you're going to run into the poor, the illegals or the scum of society. Its pretty far removed from most of the county.

Bearcat 06-13-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915341)
But it's a "dry" heat.

(Actually, it really is far different)

I'm a little interested in feeling it for myself... the consensus seems to be that after a while, ****ing hot is ****ing hot, but I've seen heat indexes of 105+ in KC, so another 10-15 degrees without the stickiness might not be THAT bad (I'm sure it would be after 4 straight months)? :shrug:

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915381)
I'm a little interested in feeling it for myself... the consensus seems to be that after a while, ****ing hot is ****ing hot, but I've seen heat indexes of 105+ in KC, so another 10-15 degrees without the stickiness might not be THAT bad (I'm sure it would be after 4 straight months)? :shrug:

I've been in Palm Springs (which is awesome, BTW) when it's been 115 and it was glorious. Perfect pool weather.

I'd take that over 85 with 90% humidity, whether that's Kansas or Florida.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:33 PM

Spanish speaking people gave poor service?

LMAO ROFL LMAO

The guy's rep is turned off for a reason.

Good ****ing grief.

HC_Chief 06-13-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915382)
I've been in Palm Springs (which is awesome, BTW) when it's been 115 and it was glorious. Perfect pool weather.

Yep. CA weather is unreal. When it's "hot", it's still not that hot (exception being Death Valley - it is truly f826ing HOT there"

lewdog 06-13-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915382)

Abso-****ing-lutely right on that. If it's 115 degrees, low humidity and there's a breeze (Phx usually has one), I can get out of the pool and get a chill. This is prime pool weather right now. :D

Rasputin 06-13-2017 07:49 PM

Garden City Kansas McDonalds has their menu in Spanish and you order uno dos tres cuotro or cinco for the item of food you want. They aren't rude people.

English is secondary language in Garden City Kansas.

Bearcat 06-13-2017 07:53 PM

In conclusion, we totally agree with what you said about the weather, TinyEvel.

Buzz 06-13-2017 07:55 PM

LOL, what a bunch of weather pussies.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 12915412)

Yeah, it's a badge of honor to live in one of the harshest climates in the US, when one can afford to live elsewhere.

I hate all of the Hawaiins.

They're pussies.

Buzz 06-13-2017 08:02 PM

Titty Meat 06-13-2017 08:05 PM

KC people have this attitude that this place isnt a small town and its some crown jewel

Bearcat 06-13-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12915425)
KC people have this attitude that this place isnt a small town and its some crown jewel

It's a great place to live.... a lot of big city amenities without a lot of the big city hassles. There's also a healthy midwestern inferiority complex, of course.

lewdog 06-13-2017 08:31 PM

There's pros/cons to living anywhere, which is what the OP was trying to show. He wasn't bagging on KC, IMO. KC is a great town but it depends on your trade-offs for living and your likes. I love where I live but totally understand if someone said they'd hate it.

This country would be pretty boring if it was all the same.

Why Not? 06-13-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12915393)
Abso-****ing-lutely right on that. If it's 115 degrees, low humidity and there's a breeze (Phx usually has one), I can get out of the pool and get a chill. This is prime pool weather right now. :D

Dude, my pool is perfectly shaded. That shit is downright cold through July. It's awesome.

GloryDayz 06-13-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12914147)
Just North of San Francisco.

Lived in Yountville for a couple of years. It was really awesome, especially after relocating from San Diego.

Enjoy man...

Ming the Merciless 06-13-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12915465)
Lived in Yountville for a couple of years. It was really awesome, especially after relocating from San Diego.

Enjoy man...

wow...

what were you doing in yountville? restaurant biz?

lewdog 06-13-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 12915459)
Dude, my pool is perfectly shaded. That shit is downright cold through July. It's awesome.

Dang! What do you have that shades the pool all the time?

I get some late afternoon shade but not a lot. My pool is white plaster though and seems to stay much cooler than our neighbors PebbleTec.

Why Not? 06-13-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12915471)

I get some late afternoon shade but not a lot. My pool is white plaster though and seems to stay much cooler than our neighbors PebbleTec.

Huge pine tree in my neighbors yard. It shits pine needles all over but it's a worthy trade off

GloryDayz 06-13-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12915470)
wow...

what were you doing in yountville? restaurant biz?

I was teaching at Mare Island naval base. It was pretty awesome, especially going from SoCal to NorCal was very cool.

Titty Meat 06-13-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915446)
It's a great place to live.... a lot of big city amenities without a lot of the big city hassles. There's also a healthy midwestern inferiority complex, of course.

I like living here much more than the suburbs but the politicians and citizens have their priorities ****ed up. For example it's a small city with crime like Chicago.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12915484)
I like living here much more than the suburbs but the politicians and citizens have their priorities ****ed up. For example it's a small city with crime like Chicago.

How many times have you been stabbed with a knife, shot or robbed?

How many people have been arrested in your buildings?

Titty Meat 06-13-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915491)
How many times have you been stabbed with a knife, shot or robbed?

How many people have been arrested in your buildings?

Thankfully zero. My old neighbor was a pimp who sold drugs but never arrested. I've heard a few shootings are the bar 1 block from me and a few while in Westport. I live in the nice part of KC.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12915494)
Thankfully zero. My old neighbor was a pimp who sold drugs but never arrested. I've heard a few shootings are the bar 1 block from me and a few while in Westport. I live in the nice part of KC.

My first year in Los Angeles, I had a toothless crack whore manager. I'd wake up with roaches crawling on my blankets, sheets and body. My car was broken into several times and stereo stolen.

There were gunshots and helicopters flying over my building every night and drug deals happening just outside Pla-Boy liquors on Yucca and Wilcox with the nearest bar being Hell's Gate, a BDSM club. Nothing but a 7/11 within walking distance, if I could get past the homeless.

Good times.

Titty Meat 06-13-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915505)
My first year in Los Angeles, I had a toothless crack whore manager. I'd wake up with roaches crawling on my blankets, sheets and body. My car was broken into several times and stereo stolen.

There were gunshots and helicopters flying over my building every night and drug deals happening just outside Pla-Boy liquors on Yucca and Wilcox with the nearest bar being Hell's Gate, a BDSM club. Nothing but a 7/11 within walking distance, if I could get past the homeless.

Good times.

ROFL. If it were THAT bad I'd get the **** out. I mind my business though and have a nice security system and the neighbors look out for each other. What you described sounds like Indepdence Avenue NOW that is a ****ing shithole!

PunkinDrublic 06-13-2017 09:25 PM

Glad you enjoyed your time in KC. I don't get back nearly as much as I'd like to. It's crazy the things you notice about your hometown that you never noticed before you left and traveled around the world. I would agree with many things on your list.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12915514)
ROFL. If it were THAT bad I'd get the **** out. I mind my business though and have a nice security system and the neighbors look out for each other. What you described sounds like Indepdence Avenue NOW that is a ****ing shithole!

What's crazy is that I wouldn't take it back for a second. It taught me to tough it out and make it happen.

What's really crazy is that there are 17 new hotels and more than 17 million square feet of apartments, condos and office space going in one mile from my house before 2022, in the same space that used to be occupied by garbage.

I'll be able to see several of the 35+ story buildings from my home. While happy for the massive transformation, I'll also look upon the dirty days fondly.

BWillie 06-13-2017 09:38 PM

I absolutely HATE the summers here. They are miserable. I intentionally go to Royals games in spring so i dont have to go in the humid heat in the summer. The winters here really arent that bad, I dont know why so many ppl complain when winter approaches.

crazycoffey 06-13-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12914185)
Worst of all, the Evel Knievel Museum opened in Topeka about a week before I moved. I was planning to get out there, because it really is very modern and awesome, but the burden of packing up all my stuff and selling off 1/3 of my things kept me from going.

gonna have to come back.

You should go!

I totally will go with you! You better let me know when you're gong to plan coming back for the EK museum, or KC games. Good luck, mister

Titty Meat 06-13-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915523)
What's crazy is that I wouldn't take it back for a second. It taught me to tough it out and make it happen.

What's really crazy is that there are 17 new hotels and more than 17 million square feet of apartments, condos and office space going in one mile from my house before 2022, in the same space that used to be occupied by garbage.

I'll be able to see several of the 35+ story buildings from my home. While happy for the massive transformation, I'll also look upon the dirty days fondly.

Good experiences because it's something very unique you nor I witnessed growing up in OP and for that we are very lucky where our families raised us.

eDave 06-14-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12915471)

Up your aeration game (do it over night). Watch your chemicals though. Aeration zaps PH a bit. If you gotta pool guy, don't worry about it.

eDave 06-14-2017 12:39 AM

Quote:

Exactly. Sounds like a great experience actually. And a perfectly scripted start in Hollywood.

underEJ 06-14-2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915505)

Good times.

Ha ha! I spent a year on Cherokee just north of Yucca leading up to the riots. That all sounds very similar to my experience a couple blocks over from wilcox. I once traded a shower to a homeless panhandler kid for bus fare to a job interview. I didn't care at all where I lived. I needed a home only to sleep and clean up, and three people in a 1 bedroom worked just fine most of the time. There was just so much to do following the dreams, right? Not to mention so much to do for fun. I lived well then even if there were roaches and sketchy managers!

We contributed to the unique Hollywood vibe at the time by hosting ouija board sessions for tourists because the Black Dahlia had lived in the building. They'd each pay us ten bucks and we'd all sit around the hallway on the fourth floor pretending to talk to ghosts. it was fun.

GloryDayz 06-14-2017 05:43 AM

Quote:

What's that going to do for traffic? Thank God for telework!

TribalElder 06-14-2017 06:21 AM

should have went Missouri instead of Kansas

Good luck to you

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 12915690)
Ha ha! I spent a year on Cherokee just north of Yucca leading up to the riots. That all sounds very similar to my experience a couple blocks over from wilcox. I once traded a shower to a homeless panhandler kid for bus fare to a job interview. I didn't care at all where I lived. I needed a home only to sleep and clean up, and three people in a 1 bedroom worked just fine most of the time. There was just so much to do following the dreams, right? Not to mention so much to do for fun. I lived well then even if there were roaches and sketchy managers!

We contributed to the unique Hollywood vibe at the time by hosting ouija board sessions for tourists because the Black Dahlia had lived in the building. They'd each pay us ten bucks and we'd all sit around the hallway on the fourth floor pretending to talk to ghosts. it was fun.

While I couldn't do now, at this age and with the wife and kids, in retrospect, it was a great experience and it sounds like you made the best of it as well. :)

Everyone has to pay their dues and all that... :D

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12915725)
What's that going to do for traffic? Thank God for telework!

Traffic is already insane. Some days, it'll take 20 minutes to get to our preschool, which is 1.4 miles from our home. Many of the new towers are being constructed on former parking lots, which were $10-$15 dollars per, so parking will be even worse, if non-existent, to non-tenants.

It's almost to the point where I won't drive, other than to Costco, Ralphs and to the schools now, so I'd imagine that I'll start using Instacart and Costco delivery more often and Uber nearly everywhere because it'll be cheaper to Uber than drive and park.

I had an event at the Director's Guild last year in which parking was $30 dollars per day and sold out when I arrived at 8am. Parking at Trader Joe's was $40 dollars for the day so instead of parking, I drove back home and requested an Uber.

It cost $8 dollars round trip, with zero frustration.

ptlyon 06-14-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12915828)
Traffic is already insane. Some days, it'll take 20 minutes to get to our preschool, which is 1.4 miles from our home. Many of the new towers are being constructed on former parking lots, which were $10-$15 dollars per, so parking will be even worse, if non-existent, to non-tenants.

It's almost to the point where I won't drive, other than to Costco, Ralphs and to the schools now, so I'd imagine that I'll start using Instacart and Costco delivery more often and Uber nearly everywhere because it'll be cheaper to Uber than drive and park.

I had an event at the Director's Guild last year in which parking was $30 dollars per day and sold out when I arrived at 8am. Parking at Trader Joe's was $40 dollars for the day so instead of parking, I drove back home and requested an Uber.

Life is nuts anymore...

scho63 06-14-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 12915337)

I've got my full container of ball powder all ready to go! :D

scho63 06-14-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 12915859)
Life is nuts anymore...

In Reston VA right near Dulles airport, there are several new apartments with rents running $3,000-$6,500 a month. DC area is out of control

I'm glad I just moved-traffic at breaking point on several roads and a new building surge including prices rising.

redfan 06-14-2017 08:43 AM

Powers Booth says:

"Have a nice life in Cali, TinyEvel."

The Franchise 06-14-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

And this is why I don't go anywhere near San Francisco.

vailpass 06-14-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12915476)
I was teaching at Mare Island naval base. It was pretty awesome, especially going from SoCal to NorCal was very cool.

Ever do any work on Point Mugu?

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

My new commute situation I'll drive across the Golden Gate bridge each day ($6.50) and parking will be $17 each day. That's 23.50 a day, times 20 days a month: that's $470 a month just to drive to the city. :cuss:

Dayze 06-14-2017 09:36 AM

holy shit....

Rasputin 06-14-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916045)
My new commute situation I'll drive across the Golden Gate bridge each day ($6.50) and parking will be $17 each day. That's 23.50 a day, times 20 days a month: that's $470 a month just to drive to the city. :cuss:

Holy Shit Balls Batman (rip Adam west)

How much do you have to make a month to live in San Fran Cisco ?

Rain Man 06-14-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Ride your bike. You can get paid to exercise!

tooge 06-14-2017 10:11 AM

So, as we see, KC and Cali both have some pretty good and bad things about them. I've lived in both. I've lived in So Cal and Nor Cal. Most of my life has been living in KC with a couple years in the Chicago area as well.
I really liked living in Cal. North more so than south. I wasn't a big fan of the So Cal vibe, but to each their own. Plus, I liked the outdoors and it seemed like the Nor Cal outdoor scene for things I like (fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping) were better than in So Cal, unless you drove quite a bit.

As far as KC is concerned, I live on 23 acres. I'm 15 minutes to downtown KC. I've got a pond and woods that I fish and hunt in/on. I own another farm that I use as a rec property that is about two hours away. It's 60 wooded acres. I've got some nice restaurants within 10 minutes of me. I can be at Arrowhead or Sprint center for arts/events/concerts/games in avbout 20 minutes. No way I could have anything close to all of that if I lived in Cal. The traffic is so nice here, that I get pissed if it takes me more than an hour to drive the normal 45 minute drive to visit friends all the way down in Olathe, heh.
I'm willing to put up with crappy heat for 12 weeks in the summer, and crappy cold for 12 weeks in the winter in order to have the cost of living so low that I can have all the other things I mentioned. I get that some people aren't willing to. Again, to each his own.
If I get too tired of the heat, I'll take the fam to Minnisota in the summer for a week or two, and when I get too tired of the cold we head to florida for a week or two. I can afford that too with how cheap it is living in KC. I do miss spending time in Cal however.

Ming the Merciless 06-14-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 12916120)
So, as we see, KC and Cali both have some pretty good and bad things about them. I've lived in both. I've lived in So Cal and Nor Cal. Most of my life has been living in KC with a couple years in the Chicago area as well.
I really liked living in Cal. North more so than south. I wasn't a big fan of the So Cal vibe, but to each their own. Plus, I liked the outdoors and it seemed like the Nor Cal outdoor scene for things I like (fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping) were better than in So Cal, unless you drove quite a bit.

As far as KC is concerned, I live on 23 acres. I'm 15 minutes to downtown KC. I've got a pond and woods that I fish and hunt in/on. I own another farm that I use as a rec property that is about two hours away. It's 60 wooded acres. I've got some nice restaurants within 10 minutes of me. I can be at Arrowhead or Sprint center for arts/events/concerts/games in avbout 20 minutes. No way I could have anything close to all of that if I lived in Cal. The traffic is so nice here, that I get pissed if it takes me more than an hour to drive the normal 45 minute drive to visit friends all the way down in Olathe, heh.
I'm willing to put up with crappy heat for 12 weeks in the summer, and crappy cold for 12 weeks in the winter in order to have the cost of living so low that I can have all the other things I mentioned. I get that some people aren't willing to. Again, to each his own.
If I get too tired of the heat, I'll take the fam to Minnisota in the summer for a week or two, and when I get too tired of the cold we head to florida for a week or two. I can afford that too with how cheap it is living in KC. I do miss spending time in Cal however.

winner

sd4chiefs 06-14-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

My son has a friend that works and lives in downtown SF. His 600 sq ft apartment is $3500 a month.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 12916120)
I really liked living in Cal. North more so than south. I wasn't a big fan of the So Cal vibe, but to each their own.

If I had my druthers, we'd live in Marin as opposed to the heart of Hollywood but all of the studios and production companies are located here.

My children are also planning to be in the entertainment business as well, so it would make it much harder for them if we moved 400 miles north, when Disney, Uni and Warner Brothers are 12 minutes away.

Ming the Merciless 06-14-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 12916149)
My son has a friend that works and lives in downtown SF. His 600 sq ft apartment is $3500 a month.

thats actually not a bad deal...LOL

(studios i think are averaging about 4g right now, 2bdr are about 6000)

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Well, at least it'll be tax deductible...

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:32 AM

In another riff on Hollywood, I joined 24 Hour Fitness in 2004 because it was new (Arclight) and close to my home. It was $750 for 3 years, then $20 a year for life after the initial period ended.

At the time, parking was $1.50, which was no big deal, even going 5-6 days a week. But 13 years later, it's $5 dollars for 2 hours, so if I were to go 5-6 days a week (or 20 times a month), it would cost $100 dollars or more, per month, or $1,200 a year, just to park! Yet my membership dues are only $20 per year.

Instead, I ride at Lake Hollywood 5 days a week and park for free. Not nearly as many hotties but I can't justify $1,200 per year in parking fees.

Ming the Merciless 06-14-2017 10:32 AM

I'm sure youre already on it but fast track saves you at least a dollar per trip so it gets down to 5.50

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/gu...idgeToll.shtml

Titty Meat 06-14-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916164)
In another riff on Hollywood, I joined 24 Hour Fitness in 2004 because it was new (Arclight) and close to my home. It was $750 for 3 years, then $20 a year for life after the initial period ended.

At the time, parking was $1.50, which was no big deal, even going 5-6 days a week. But 13 years later, it's $5 dollars for 2 hours, so if I were to go 5-6 days a week (or 20 times a month), it would cost $100 dollars or more, per month, or $1,200 a year, just to park! Yet my membership dues are only $20 per year.

Instead, I ride at Lake Hollywood 5 days a week and park for free. Not nearly as many hotties but I can't justify $1,200 per year in parking fees.

Gross. You could buy a home gym and hire a trainer for that much!

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916161)
Well, at least it'll be tax deductible...

Nope. Miles driven for work, like going to buy supplies or to see a band you might sign, those miles and parking are tax deductible. Commute miles/parking for regular days working in your workplace are not.

I found that out the hard way when I plopped a foot-high stack of parking receipts on the tax guy's desk three years ago. He gave me the nope news.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916203)
Nope. Miles driven for work, like going to buy supplies or to see a band you might sign, those miles and parking are tax deductible. Commute miles/parking for regular days working in your workplace are not.

I found that out the hard way when I plopped a foot-high stack of parking receipts on the tax guy's desk three years ago. He gave me the nope news.

Bummer :(

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12916165)
I'm sure youre already on it but fast track saves you at least a dollar per trip so it gets down to 5.50

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/gu...idgeToll.shtml

6.50 IS the Fasttrak price. :(

Bugeater 06-14-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

No thanks, I'll deal with the humidity.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12916183)
Gross. You could buy a home gym and hire a trainer for that much!

Well unfortunately, not out here. We don't have basements so I'd have to put an addition on my house (which I'm considering) which would cost about $30k, plus the cost of the equipment, TV, etc.

Personal trainers are bank in Hollywood. Even Barry's Bootcamp is $365 a month or $1,020 for 3 months.

I'm friends with Magnus Lygdbäck and his rates are crazy, even for me. I have another friend that owns Crossfit Horsepower and his annual rate is $1,950.

Halfcan 06-14-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12916215)
No thanks, I'll deal with the humidity.

I agree. I love the changing weather and having 4 different seasons a year. Watching the leaves change in Fall, spending the summers at one of the hundreds of lakes around here. Love camping in the Spring and the first snow of winter.

California has so many beautiful places, but the traffic and high cost of Everything there is a big negative compared to the midwest. I would pick the Northern part close to the Sequoias in Jebediah park. I also like the Southern part around San Diego and Chula Vista. I have family in the Luguna area. San Fran area is pretty amazing as well. Never liked LA or Oakland at all.

I love California but would never want to live there.

Halfcan 06-14-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

At least you get to drive across one of the most iconic and beautiful bridges in the world.

The Franchise 06-14-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916284)
At least you get to drive across one of the most iconic and beautiful bridges in the world.

Which is great....the first time you do it. After that....none of it really ****ing matters.

BWillie 06-14-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Wow.. I would seriously just not live in a place like that. That would drive me insane getting nickel and dimed like that. That shit adds up. Probably why there is a huge growing trend of people in So Cal living in vans. No lie. Tons of people are now living in vans, on the side of the street, in the Trader Joes parking lot, because of the cost of housing is outrageous.