ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 12:42 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqm9HSYbf0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 07-24-2016 12:45 PM

NCC-10331

Damn, how far into the Trek future did they go?

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 12:47 PM

In a packed panel during San Diego Comic-Con, the name of the new Star Trek series—which, in the grand tradition of Star Trek, is also the name of the ship—was revealed. In a press conference after the panel, executive producers Bryan Fuller and Heather Kadin gave just a few more details about the show.

First off, Fuller answered the question of whether the Discovery, just revealed, was based on Ralph McQuarrie’s ‘70s designs for the Enterprise. Fuller said it was, but “to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until [our legal team] figures out some things.”

Kadin was asked about being a woman working behind the scenes of the show and what that meant, and she answered that she takes inspiring women seriously and that Fuller does, too. “As a female, you’ll see, when you start to hear more about the series, that that’s a big part of it,” she added.

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.” He couldn’t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.

“I don’t think we’re supposed to say yet because there are so many new things about this series,” Fuller said. that “There’s a lot of new and exciting things we’re doing with this show, that we [don’t] want to [over]saturate you.”

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331324)
NCC-10331

Damn, how far into the Trek future did they go?

I would guess between Enterprise and the original series.

Bowser 07-24-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12331344)

I would guess between Enterprise and the original series.

Yep, that's right. Don't know what the hell I was seeing there, lol.

I kind of want it to be a story past TNG, but I get why they don't want to mess with the split realities of TNG universe and the Abrams universe.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331362)
Yep, that's right. Don't know what the hell I was seeing there, lol.

I kind of want it to be a story past TNG, but I get why they don't want to mess with the split realities of TNG universe and the Abrams universe.

The Kelvin Universe will come to an end in the fourth movie, which brings back Hemsworth as Kirk's dad.

Bowser 07-24-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12331371)
The Kelvin Universe will come to an end in the fourth movie, which brings back Hemsworth as Kirk's dad.

After I typed that, I remembered you mentioning that in the other thread. Curious as to how they'll pull that off. Will it be some type of plot vessel to get Pine's Kirk and crew to continue on in the TOS universe, past the time of Picard (Spock entered the Kelvin Universe from a point 50 years or so past Nemesis in the TOS universe, iirc)?

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331382)
After I typed that, I remembered you mentioning that in the other thread. Curious as to how they'll pull that off. Will it be some type of plot vessel to get Pine's Kirk and crew to continue on in the TOS universe, past the time of Picard (Spock entered the Kelvin Universe from a point 50 years or so past Nemesis in the TOS universe, iirc)?

I have no idea how they'll pull it off but essentially, the new Star Trek would, once again, reboot the films.

I guess it would give Paramount a reason to re-cast but it's not as if Zach Quinto and even Chris Pine are lighting the world on fire. But Karl Urban really didn't want to do this film and he's not under contract for the next, so he might be out, eventually.

Bowser 07-24-2016 01:49 PM

Karl Urban has been great as Bones. He was one of the highlights of the latest movie. It would be a shame if they lost him (especially after losing Anton Yelchin, RIP). And agreed about Pine and Quinto - they're both "fine", but neither have that "pop" those roles demand. Urban is an underrated actor. I can't think of much I've seen him in that he wasn't great.

But back to the thread - has anything you're seen or heard convinced you to pay the extra to CBS towatch this? I'm on the fence, personally. Definitely not sold on the idea yet.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331465)
Karl Urban has been great as Bones. He was one of the highlights of the latest movie. It would be a shame if they lost him (especially after losing Anton Yelchin, RIP). And agreed about Pine and Quinto - they're both "fine", but neither have that "pop" those roles demand. Urban is an underrated actor. I can't think of much I've seen him in that he wasn't great.

But back to the thread - has anything you're seen or heard convinced you to pay the extra to CBS towatch this? I'm on the fence, personally. Definitely not sold on the idea yet.

No, nothing I've heard has made me want to pay for this series yet, especially after reading that it'll be available worldwide on Netflix (of which I'm a subscriber) but in America, I'd have to pony up for CBS All Access.

That really leaves a bad taste.

Bowser 07-24-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12331476)
No, nothing I've heard has made me want to pay for this series yet, especially after reading that it'll be available worldwide on Netflix (of which I'm a subscriber) but in America, I'd have to pony up for CBS All Access.

That really leaves a bad taste.

No kidding? I hadn't heard that Netflix news. That's bullshit.

Well, this might be one of the highest pirated shows ever, lol.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331496)
No kidding? I hadn't heard that Netflix news. That's bullshit.

Well, this might be one of the highest pirated shows ever, lol.

Yeah, it's a really dumb move on the part of CBS, but hey, what else is new over there?

Bowser 07-24-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12331501)
Yeah, it's a really dumb move on the part of CBS, but hey, what else is new over there?

I had also forgotten you have a history with Paramount. :D

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331506)
I had also forgotten you have a history with Paramount. :D

Almost a decade of fun and games. :D

But seriously, Sumner Redstone is being sued, the board has been all but fired, there's a major power struggle happening and so on.

They run a multi-billion dollar business like a Mom & Pop store.

unlurking 07-24-2016 03:54 PM

Wow, that ship is really ugly. The lines are just really jarring and not aesthetically pleasing in any way.

keg in kc 07-24-2016 04:14 PM

That Discovery reveal looks and sounds like something you'd see on CBS. Which to me is a major negative.

Bowser 07-24-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12331781)
Wow, that ship is really ugly. The lines are just really jarring and not aesthetically pleasing in any way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12331823)
That Discovery reveal looks and sounds like something you'd see on CBS. Which to me is a major negative.

I was going to say I've seen better fan fic designed ships on YouTube than that clunky looking turd. CBS better hit a home run with this show.

keg in kc 07-24-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331843)
I was going to say I've seen better fan fic designed ships on YouTube than that clunky looking turd. CBS better hit a home run with this show.

I didn't mean the ship design, I meant the production design. It just has a very CBS style to it, from the soft color palette to the audio cues. Which is okay if you're doing episode 306 of procedural drama #3248, but not so good if it's Star Trek.

Bowser 07-24-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12331881)
I didn't mean the ship design, I meant the production design. It just has a very CBS style to it, from the soft color palette to the audio cues. Which is okay if you're doing episode 306 of procedural drama #3248, but not so good if it's Star Trek.

I gotcha, and you're absolutely correct there as well. Hopefully that isn't the final look, just some mash up they had their guys in effects throw together at the last second for SDCC.

Jamie 07-24-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12331843)

I've seen better fan designed ships that are McQuarrie Enterprise homages.

Also the CG looks pretty bad, it makes me nervous that CBS doesn't take digital seriously, and is trying to do this on the cheap.

Bowser 07-24-2016 04:53 PM

The Discovery almost looks like a damned Klingon battlecruiser, especially when it leaves the dry dock and is viewed from below.

Maybe this is CBS' big **** you to the people that tried to get the Axanar movie made? They went and did it themselves! Heh.

Bowser 07-24-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 12331919)
I've seen better fan designed ships that are McQuarrie Enterprise homages.

Also the CG looks pretty bad, it makes me nervous that CBS doesn't take digital seriously, and is trying to do this on the cheap.

I like that design. Sharp.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 12331919)

They're most definitely trying to do it cheaply. 13 episodes of a well produced Star Trek series would cost near $100 million dollars per season, which is Game Thrones money.

TNG went off the air in 1994 because it cost $4 million an episode to produce. VFX aren't any less expensive today and as I calculated earlier, the CBS All Access app is going to need millions of subscribers every month to even pay for this new series, unless they do the shitty thing and throw advertising into each viewing.

I'll be shocked if this isn't a complete and utter failure.

Deberg_1990 07-24-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12331511)
Almost a decade of fun and games. :D

But seriously, Sumner Redstone is being sued, the board has been all but fired, there's a major power struggle happening and so on.

They run a multi-billion dollar business like a Mom & Pop store.

Outside of Trek and the Mission Impossible franchise, their movies haven't been that hot lately either.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 07:06 PM

Well, this is interesting:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10...trek-tv-series

Star Trek: Major details revealed about new TV show

'Discovery' to focus on a female lieutenant commander, set in pre-Kirk era

The showrunner behind the new Star Trek TV series just revealed a lot of fresh information about the new series – including that the upcoming series will focus on a female lead character, likely played by a diverse actress, who will be a lieutenant commander on a starship.

At the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Wednesday, writer-producer Bryan Fuller took questions from critics. Star Trek is being rebooted for the small screen next January as Star Trek: Discovery, which will launch on CBS and then exclusively switch to the network’s streaming service CBS Access. A Trek series previously had a female lead, Voyager, which ran from 1995 to 2001 and starred Kate Mulgrew.

Live updates:

– In a teaser video, Fuller is quoted saying, “We’re telling a Star Trek novel over 13 episodes,” which hints at a very serialized storyline instead of an episodic one.

– Fuller on the premise: “There’s an incident and and event in Star Trek history, that’s been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing [storyline. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself.” The event is somehing that was referneced in the original series, but not the Romulan War (“close,” he says), or Section 31 (but that could play a role), or Kirk wrestling with the Kobayashi Maru test. It’s only been referenced, never seen, he said.

– On casting a diverse cast: “Star Trek started with a wonderful expression of diversity in its cast … our lead of the show is going to be subject of that same level, of who’s the best actor and also what can we say about diversity on the show. We haven’t cast her yet, so we don’t know what level of diversity she will be, but that’s forefront in our minds. We’ll probably have a few more aliens than you typically have on the show. We wanted to paint a picture of Starfleet where we’re going to have new exciting aliens and also new imagining of existing aliens.” Fuller noted some of the changes might upset hardcore fans used to seeing things a certain way. “We’re producing the show in 2016. We have to update the style of the effects, the style of the sets, the style of the makeup.”

– Fuller says he spoke Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space, while thinking about how to cast this role. “It was interesting to send her outlines and start talking about the character and get her perspective on what it’s like for a woman in the sciences now when we still have a lot of issues with women and race and how that’s going to be 250 years in the future when the world gets its s–t together and equality is a thing that’s more accepted.”

– The star won’t be the captain but rather be a lieutenant commander, “with caveats,” he said. “We’ve seen six series from the captain’s point of view, to see a character from a different perspective on the starship, one who has a diff dynamic relationships with a captain with subordinates, it gave us richer context.”

– Gay characters? “Absolutely we’re having a gay character,” Fuller said. He noted that as a gay man working on Voyager he had a file full of hate mail when there was a rumor that a character on his show was going to be gay. So he was determined if he ever did his own Star Trek show that he would have a gay character. “We’ve come a long way since then. I feel like actually gay rights have come a lot further in that time that race issues and women’s issues.”

– Somebody asks if there will be robots. Fuller says, “Yes.”

– Star Trek: Discovery to be set in the “Prime universe” (so set in the original shows’ timeline, not the J.J. Abrams reboot timeline) about 10 years before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission. “We can redefine the visual style,” he said. “We get to play with all of the iconography of those ships and that universe. Since we are doing this series in 2016 and all of the other series have been produced [at a time that] isn’t as sophisticated as we are now with what we can do production-wise, we’re going to be reestablishing an entire look for the series — not only for the series, but for what we wanted to accomplish with Star Trek beyond this series.”

– On including familiar characters from the original series: “There’s so much about the history that once we get through this first season and establish our own Star Trek universe with the crew that going to be reimagining a lot of Star Trek elements, we’ll be looking in the second season to open up to more familiar characters and how they can feed into the [show]. First and foremost, I think we really want to convince you and establish the greatness of the [new] characters that are going to be introduced.”

– But he’s tempted to include the character of Amanda Grayson (Spock’s human mom). “That character could factor in, but there’s much to be told about that.”

– On Star Trek vs. Star Wars: “Star Trek is us and where we’re going,” he said. “That sense of hope is something that can’t be undervalued, particularly where we are today.”.

– On how much Star Trek will push the content envelope since it won’t be constrained by broadcast standards. “Well there’s a reason we call it S.T.D.,” he said, mocking the show’s initials. “We’re going to have a broader spectrum to explore those issues but it’s still Star Trek. It will probably be slightly more graphic content. We discuss language every day. Is it appropriate for somebody to see a bridge blow up and say ‘Oh sh–t.’ I imagine we’re going to shoot scenes a couple of ways and see what feels more authentic in the editing room.”

– How close will the Discovery look like the Enterprise: “Saucer section, the cells and the design that we leaked early on has changed considerably. But it’s still very much inspired by those [Ralph McQuarrie] illustrations.”

– Marc DeBevoise, president and COO of CBS Interactive points out that he expects Star Trek: Discovery to get about 15 million viewers for its series premiere on CBS. He noted that Star Trek TV shows tend to average 2-to-5 million viewers for their first two years as reruns on Netflix. “We think this is a pretty good bet for us to make to grow our subscriber base next year,” he said.

– One reporter noted All Access shows will have commercials for new programming, so “Why do I have to pay you $6?” he asked. In other words: Why pay a premium for content that has advertisements? “The value is the depth and breath of the service that you can’t get anywhere else,” DeBevoise says. Another critic accused them of asking people to effectively “pay for CBS twice.” DeBevoise countered: “This original content is not on CBS, this is extra value.”

Earlier today, CBS was hammered by critics during its executive session for having six new fall shows starring white male actors. But Fuller’s idea to seek out a diverse cast isn’t a reaction to the recent surge of CBS diversity criticism. The former Hannibal showrunner first enthused about the idea of a black female captain in a hypothetical Star Trek series back in 2013. ”I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that’s who I would love to have,” he said. “Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show and that’s in the future to be told.”

pr_capone 08-10-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361601)
Well, this is interesting:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10...trek-tv-series

Star Trek: Major details revealed about new TV show

'Discovery' to focus on a female lieutenant commander, set in pre-Kirk era

The showrunner behind the new Star Trek TV series just revealed a lot of fresh information about the new series – including that the upcoming series will focus on a female lead character, likely played by a diverse actress, who will be a lieutenant commander on a starship.

At the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Wednesday, writer-producer Bryan Fuller took questions from critics. Star Trek is being rebooted for the small screen next January as Star Trek: Discovery, which will launch on CBS and then exclusively switch to the network’s streaming service CBS Access. A Trek series previously had a female lead, Voyager, which ran from 1995 to 2001 and starred Kate Mulgrew.

Live updates:

– In a teaser video, Fuller is quoted saying, “We’re telling a Star Trek novel over 13 episodes,” which hints at a very serialized storyline instead of an episodic one.

– Fuller on the premise: “There’s an incident and and event in Star Trek history, that’s been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing [storyline. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself.” The event is somehing that was referneced in the original series, but not the Romulan War (“close,” he says), or Section 31 (but that could play a role), or Kirk wrestling with the Kobayashi Maru test. It’s only been referenced, never seen, he said.

– On casting a diverse cast: “Star Trek started with a wonderful expression of diversity in its cast … our lead of the show is going to be subject of that same level, of who’s the best actor and also what can we say about diversity on the show. We haven’t cast her yet, so we don’t know what level of diversity she will be, but that’s forefront in our minds. We’ll probably have a few more aliens than you typically have on the show. We wanted to paint a picture of Starfleet where we’re going to have new exciting aliens and also new imagining of existing aliens.” Fuller noted some of the changes might upset hardcore fans used to seeing things a certain way. “We’re producing the show in 2016. We have to update the style of the effects, the style of the sets, the style of the makeup.”

– Fuller says he spoke Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space, while thinking about how to cast this role. “It was interesting to send her outlines and start talking about the character and get her perspective on what it’s like for a woman in the sciences now when we still have a lot of issues with women and race and how that’s going to be 250 years in the future when the world gets its s–t together and equality is a thing that’s more accepted.”

– The star won’t be the captain but rather be a lieutenant commander, “with caveats,” he said. “We’ve seen six series from the captain’s point of view, to see a character from a different perspective on the starship, one who has a diff dynamic relationships with a captain with subordinates, it gave us richer context.”

– Gay characters? “Absolutely we’re having a gay character,” Fuller said. He noted that as a gay man working on Voyager he had a file full of hate mail when there was a rumor that a character on his show was going to be gay. So he was determined if he ever did his own Star Trek show that he would have a gay character. “We’ve come a long way since then. I feel like actually gay rights have come a lot further in that time that race issues and women’s issues.”

– Somebody asks if there will be robots. Fuller says, “Yes.”

– Star Trek: Discovery to be set in the “Prime universe” (so set in the original shows’ timeline, not the J.J. Abrams reboot timeline) about 10 years before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission. “We can redefine the visual style,” he said. “We get to play with all of the iconography of those ships and that universe. Since we are doing this series in 2016 and all of the other series have been produced [at a time that] isn’t as sophisticated as we are now with what we can do production-wise, we’re going to be reestablishing an entire look for the series — not only for the series, but for what we wanted to accomplish with Star Trek beyond this series.”

– On including familiar characters from the original series: “There’s so much about the history that once we get through this first season and establish our own Star Trek universe with the crew that going to be reimagining a lot of Star Trek elements, we’ll be looking in the second season to open up to more familiar characters and how they can feed into the [show]. First and foremost, I think we really want to convince you and establish the greatness of the [new] characters that are going to be introduced.”

– But he’s tempted to include the character of Amanda Grayson (Spock’s human mom). “That character could factor in, but there’s much to be told about that.”

– On Star Trek vs. Star Wars: “Star Trek is us and where we’re going,” he said. “That sense of hope is something that can’t be undervalued, particularly where we are today.”.

– On how much Star Trek will push the content envelope since it won’t be constrained by broadcast standards. “Well there’s a reason we call it S.T.D.,” he said, mocking the show’s initials. “We’re going to have a broader spectrum to explore those issues but it’s still Star Trek. It will probably be slightly more graphic content. We discuss language every day. Is it appropriate for somebody to see a bridge blow up and say ‘Oh sh–t.’ I imagine we’re going to shoot scenes a couple of ways and see what feels more authentic in the editing room.”

– How close will the Discovery look like the Enterprise: “Saucer section, the cells and the design that we leaked early on has changed considerably. But it’s still very much inspired by those [Ralph McQuarrie] illustrations.”

– Marc DeBevoise, president and COO of CBS Interactive points out that he expects Star Trek: Discovery to get about 15 million viewers for its series premiere on CBS. He noted that Star Trek TV shows tend to average 2-to-5 million viewers for their first two years as reruns on Netflix. “We think this is a pretty good bet for us to make to grow our subscriber base next year,” he said.

– One reporter noted All Access shows will have commercials for new programming, so “Why do I have to pay you $6?” he asked. In other words: Why pay a premium for content that has advertisements? “The value is the depth and breath of the service that you can’t get anywhere else,” DeBevoise says. Another critic accused them of asking people to effectively “pay for CBS twice.” DeBevoise countered: “This original content is not on CBS, this is extra value.”

Earlier today, CBS was hammered by critics during its executive session for having six new fall shows starring white male actors. But Fuller’s idea to seek out a diverse cast isn’t a reaction to the recent surge of CBS diversity criticism. The former Hannibal showrunner first enthused about the idea of a black female captain in a hypothetical Star Trek series back in 2013. ”I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that’s who I would love to have,” he said. “Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show and that’s in the future to be told.”

Rosario Dawson as FO would be fine casting and working her way into the Captain's chair ala Sikso would be fantastic to watch.... Angela Bassett would make a terrible Captain.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361627)
Rosario Dawson as FO would be fine casting and working her way into the Captain's chair ala Sikso would be fantastic to watch.... Angela Bassett would make a terrible Captain.

I was surprised to see it set just 10 years before TOS and from the perspective of someone other than the captain.

BigRedChief 08-10-2016 07:40 PM

Never explored the Kobayashi Maru test? WTF? Wrath of Khan.....Hello....ST first one with Pine....Hello.....

pr_capone 08-10-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361635)
I was surprised to see it set just 10 years before TOS and from the perspective of someone other than the captain.

Did you think they would go into the Kelvin timeline future or did they not go as far back as you expected they might?

pr_capone 08-10-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Sounds like he is going to unnecessarily gay it up just to rub people's noses in it because some intolerant assholes sent him hate mail.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361663)
Did you think they would go into the Kelvin timeline future or did they not go as far back as you expected they might?

I knew they were staying in the Prime timeline but I figured it would be more in the middle of Enterprise and TOS as opposed to 10 years prior to the TOS.

pr_capone 08-10-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361673)
I knew they were staying in the Prime timeline but I figured it would be more in the middle of Enterprise and TOS as opposed to 10 years prior to the TOS.

Gotcha.

I wonder if we will see Bakula cameo in the show at some point as Archer... If the events are taking place around 2223 he would still be around enjoying retirement with, perhaps, the 24th iteration of Porthos.

RealSNR 08-10-2016 08:04 PM

I was kind of liking the idea of a Fargo-style TV show with new characters and settings each season. Hopefully they make this a good one.

I'd still prefer to see a post-DS9 series... a year, 10 years, 100 years after... anything like that.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12361703)
I was kind of liking the idea of a Fargo-style TV show with new characters and settings each season. Hopefully they make this a good one.

I'd still prefer to see a post-DS9 series... a year, 10 years, 100 years after... anything like that.

Well the cool thing is that if this series actually works, they can jump around and do serialized seasons at any point in the timeline.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361696)
Gotcha.

I wonder if we will see Bakula cameo in the show at some point as Archer... If the events are taking place around 2223 he would still be around enjoying retirement with, perhaps, the 24th iteration of Porthos.

Yeah, that would be cool. I really like him as an actor (he was a cool neighbor for a while, too) and thought he got the shaft on Enterprise because it wasn't very well done, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361668)
Sounds like he is going to unnecessarily gay it up just to rub people's noses in it because some intolerant assholes sent him hate mail.

I couldn't care less that there will be at least one gay character in the series, I just hope it's not "shoe horned in", for lack of a better term, and feels natural to the story.

I'm all about diversity, as long as it works and they're not setting out to tell the story of a non-Caucasian or homosexual, as opposed to a great story, in the Star Trek universe.

BigRedChief 08-10-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361731)
I couldn't care less that there will be at least one gay character in the series, I just hope it's not "shoe horned in", for lack of a better term, and feels natural to the story.

I'm all about diversity, as long as it works and they're not setting out to tell the story of a non-Caucasian or homosexual, as opposed to a great story, in the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek has always been about diversity. I don't think they can screw it up. It should not have to be forced in the story.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2016 08:46 PM

Dane, thoughts on this?

In other words: Why pay a premium for content that has advertisements? “The value is the depth and breath of the service that you can’t get anywhere else,” DeBevoise says. Another critic accused them of asking people to effectively “pay for CBS twice.” DeBevoise countered: “This original content is not on CBS, this is extra value.”

BigRedChief 08-10-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12361790)
Dane, thoughts on this?

In other words: Why pay a premium for content that has advertisements? “The value is the depth and breath of the service that you can’t get anywhere else,” DeBevoise says. Another critic accused them of asking people to effectively “pay for CBS twice.” DeBevoise countered: “This original content is not on CBS, this is extra value.”

They want $10 a month and it has advertisements?

unlurking 08-10-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361696)
Gotcha.

Should be in the 2250's, not 2220's (based on 10 years prior to Kirk/Enterprise in TOS).

http://www.trekcore.com/timeline/timeline10.html

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12361790)
Dane, thoughts on this?

My thoughts, from the beginning, which I've noted throughout the thread, is that CBS is overvaluing the Star Trek IP and that this is a terrible idea that will not pay for itself.

Discuss Thrower 08-10-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12361703)

I've been calling for that for years.

My idea is to stick with 2, maybe 3, main characters and move them around from season to season.

Start off with a human male, alien male (think Bolian or Orion) and a humanoid female "will they/won't they?" type of potential romantic interest who start off as ensigns on a mid-size type of ship and have essentially an entire season of TNG's "Lower Decks." showing the ups and downs of Starfleet officer (well, I always envisioned one character being enlisted because a) "realism b) potential for tension a la Miles and Bashir in some eps of DS9) where much of the dramatic conflict comes from superior officers who aren't necessarily bridge crew or from rival lower-ranked officers.

Progress them on from season to season with some good cliffhangers (S1: the core cast are in a precarious away mission scenario, S2: duo/trio get split up because of promotions / re-assignments, S3: ship gets blown up by the end, S4: crucially-located space station is under siege) until you get to a somewhat natural end of the characters' arc and they are in thrust into command themselves.

If Paramount/CBS wants more money, then maybe spin them off into a feature or just bide the time until you can restart the cycle again similar to what 24 has done,

Discuss Thrower 08-10-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361668)

FWIW, Andrew Robinson played Garak as if he had the gay love for Bashir and you can still read the character as bisexual by the nature of Garak's profession and by the fact he dated a half-Cardassian woman less out of sexual desire and more out of having something in common among a largely human/almost human social circle.

pr_capone 08-10-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

That is what I meant but said in my caveman words. Like... if the dude is thuper gay and he is essentially the Kirk/Riker character plowing dudes left and right just for the sake of rubbing some asshole's nose in it.

pr_capone 08-10-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12361807)
Should be in the 2250's, not 2220's (based on 10 years prior to Kirk/Enterprise in TOS).

http://www.trekcore.com/timeline/timeline10.html

Still works. Memory Beta has him dying in 2045.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Archer

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361918)

:D

RINGLEADER 08-10-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mKDJ5w2Bm-...600/skants.jpg

unlurking 08-11-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361918)

So it still works, even though he dies 10 years prior to the timeline of the new show? Kirk takes command of the Enterprise in 2264, and the articles states the show is 10 years prior to TOS. For it to work, it would have to be set 20 years prior. Big difference.

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 09:25 AM

CBS’ new “Star Trek” series is quickly coming together, bringing the franchise back to where even the most recent film’s writer and co-star Simon Pegg says is where the franchise is truly at home – television.

“Hannibal” and “Pushing Daisies” creator/showrunner Bryan Fuller is spearheading “Star Trek: Discovery,” though details about it have been kept under wraps beyond brief talk at presentations indicating that its one heavily serialised story across thirteen episodes. It also takes place a decade before the time of James T. Kirk, is set in the ‘Prime Universe’ of Trek, and will follow a female (and likely minority) character who will not be a starship captain.

Today, in a new radio interview (via AICN), Fuller revealed that the lead character in indeed a Starfleet officer and she is referred to in the series as ‘Number One’. Combined with the talk of the setting which takes place around the time of the events of “The Cage,” it sounds like the character will be akin to Majel Barrett-Roddenberry’s first officer from that original rejected TOS pilot episode.

Fuller also revealed that while this first season will consist of thirteen episodes, subsequent seasons will likely comprise no more than ten episodes each due to the sheer amount required to produce the show every year. Part of the reason is also that Fuller is serving double duty as co-showrunner on Starz’s “American Gods” series.

Fuller also spoke about some of the other talent onboard. Nicholas Meyer, who co-wrote and directed the iconic “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” will be scripting the second episode following on from Fuller and Alex Kurtzman’s pilot. “Wonderfalls” and “Pushing Daisies” alum Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have also signed on to serve as co-showrunners, while Jesse Alexander (“Alias,” “Hannibal”) and author Kemp Powers have become a part of the writing team.

Fuller says Joe Menosky, who wrote TNG’s “Time’s Arrow” and Voyager’s “Year of Hell” two-parters, was his mentor when Fuller first got started as a writer on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager”. Menosky is involved in writing the new series alongside Star Trek novelist Kristen Beyer and TV vet Aron Eli Coleite who all joined back in June.

Finally, Fuller also confirmed that the first season of of ‘Discovery’ could be the first live-action season of “Star Trek” NOT to utilize a time travel element as every season of the various shows produced between 1966 to 2005 had at least one if not two episodes involving time travel.

“Star Trek Discovery” is slated premiere on CBS in January ahead of subsequent episodes appearing on CBS All Access in the United States. It will stream within hours of the U.S. broadcast on Netflix in many parts of the world.

keg in kc 09-14-2016 04:18 PM

Delayed until May: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/14/12...layed-may-2017

RINGLEADER 09-14-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12426496)

Not a surprise at all.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 04:37 PM

Yep, no shock.

They haven't even announced a cast so how could they have had episodes on air starting in January?

Deberg_1990 09-14-2016 08:01 PM

yea. a good thing. lets get this thing right and dont rush it.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12426505)
Not a surprise at all.

I'll actually be surprised if this isn't pushed back to September 2017.

Why the rush to May, when it's summer and most people are swamped?

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12426911)
yea. a good thing. lets get this thing right and dont rush it.

I still think it's 70/30 they **** it up

keg in kc 10-27-2016 12:35 PM

No link, story was all over yesterday so not hard to find: Fuller stepped down as show runner, citing his schedule (he's also running American Gods on starz, which honestly I'm more interested in seeing anyway).

He is a busy guy, but this just looks like a disaster. First the delays, now this. It smells like CBS suits screwing with production. They're supposed to start shooting in a few weeks, still zero cast announcements and now Fuller is taking on a much-reduced role. How can this be good in any way?

Deberg_1990 10-27-2016 05:05 PM

Well this sucks......Fuller was my main reason for watching this....

DaneMcCloud 10-28-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12426946)
I still think it's 70/30 they **** it up

I think it's more like 85/15 at this point.

Word is that the suits at CBS were stepping on Fuller's toes and he just walked away. As I've said all along, this is a very bad idea in terms of launching on CBS All Access only in the US. They'd have been much smarter to partner up with Amazon or Netflix (their X-US distributor) to create a show that fans would love to see.

Instead, they've boxed themselves into an incredibly difficult situation and the talent has begun to walk away, long before the show has even been cast.

Viacom/CBS/Paramount are an epic disaster.

lawrenceRaider 10-28-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12509454)
I think it's more like 85/15 at this point.

Word is that the suits at CBS were stepping on Fuller's toes and he just walked away. As I've said all along, this is a very bad idea in terms of launching on CBS All Access only in the US. They'd have been much smarter to partner up with Amazon or Netflix (their X-US distributor) to create a show that fans would love to see.

Instead, they've boxed themselves into an incredibly difficult situation and the talent has begun to walk away, long before the show has even been cast.

Viacom/CBS/Paramount are an epic disaster.

I think you are being very generous with your 15% chance at it not being a disaster. What a bunch of idiots.

DaneMcCloud 10-28-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 12509601)
I think you are being very generous with your 15% chance at it not being a disaster. What a bunch of idiots.

Maybe so. :shrug:

I heard this morning that they've basically given full control over to Alex Kurtzman, who produced, along with Abrams, the latest batch of movies. While I liked the initial reboot film, I disliked the second film so much that I haven't even bothered with the third.

The other rumor is that Kurtzman is bringing in Akiva Goldsman, whom he worked with on Fringe. While I really enjoyed several seasons of Fringe and the original concept, it went way off the tracks in the final two season (and the first season was up and down, as if they couldn't figure out if they wanted to be an original show or a clone of the X-Files).

The bottom line is that to me, there's way too much chaos happening around a program that's supposed to begin airing in May 2017. I think they need to step back, reassess and shoot for a January 2018 debut at the earliest.

Knowing Paramount though, they'll make the wrong decision and muck it up.

DaneMcCloud 10-28-2016 11:21 AM

Oh yeah, the other bit of info, which I found rather surprising, is that they're planning to spend $6-7 million per episode, which puts a 13 episode season at somewhere between $78 and $91 million per. That's up there with HBO's budget, so their deal with Netflix must provide the bulk of that money, as they'd need a minimum of 13 million paid subscriptions to CBS All Access in order to break even.

I think to date, it's about 100k.

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2016 10:22 AM

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/23/...michelle-yeoh/

'Star Trek: Discovery' casts Michelle Yeoh

It's not known what character Yeoh will play, but it's likely she's going to be the star.

Nicholas Meyer has let it slip that Michelle Yeoh has joined the cast of the upcoming CBS show Star Trek: Discovery. The show's consulting producer dropped the bombshell while talking to ComingSoon about the Blu-ray of his classic movie, Time After Time. While Meyer wouldn't confirm what role Yeoh had taken, it's entirely plausible that she's going to be the shows star, the as-yet unnamed "Number One."

Well before Bryan Fuller announced that he was stepping back from his duties on the show, he outlined his vision for Discovery. He explained that his vision for the show would center upon a Lt. Commander of a starship rather than the captain, and that he wanted the character to be a woman. Speculation immediately pointed towards Angela Basset and Rosario Dawson, both of whom Fuller had previously praised.

It's possible that with Dawson and Bassett both tied in to shooting Marvel-based adventures in the near future, neither had space in their schedule. Then again, there are six more characters that need to be cast, so it's just as likely that Bassett and Dawson may find the time to head out to the 2250s.

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2016 10:23 AM

I have nothing against Michelle Yeoh but question how much she'll appeal to Star Trek fans

RealSNR 11-23-2016 10:34 AM

Only ever saw her in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I assume she's a great actor.

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12573066)
Only ever saw her in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I assume she's a great actor.

She was also in a Pierce Brosnan Bond movie in 1997, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Outside of that, very few roles known to Americans, most all of which cast her as mainly Chinese.

She's also 54 years old, which would make her the oldest central cast member of a Trek show.

pr_capone 11-23-2016 10:54 AM

This casting leads me to believe that this is going to be an action based series instead of the deeper, more introspective, series that people believe can only be done on TV.

That makes me sad.

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12573119)
This casting leads me to believe that this is going to be an action based series instead of the deeper, more introspective, series that people believe can only be done on TV.

That makes me sad.

I have absolutely nothing against Michelle Yeoh and think she's been amazing in everything I've seen but I agree, this just seems out of place for a Trek series.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

keg in kc 11-23-2016 03:38 PM

My initial thought is that they're aiming at Chinese and Asian audiences. Would that fall under the Netflix umbrella? All Access is North America only as I recall, and the US and Canada are literally the only places that won't be able to watch on netflix.

DaneMcCloud 11-23-2016 06:55 PM

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is heading into the final frontier with Star Trek: Discovery. Sources confirm to Deadline that the upcoming CBS All Access iteration of the fabled franchise will see Yeoh playing a Starfleet Captain.

However, before you start mapping out the deck of the Discovery, sources close to the production tell us exclusively that Yeoh will actually be the leader of another ship. We hear that Yeoh has been cast as Han Bo and her ship is the Shenzhou. The Yeoh-run spacecraft is set to play a big role in Discovery‘s first season.

Asked for comment, Star Trek: Discovery producer CBS TV Studios declined to confirm Yeoh’s casting,

Yeoh is the first revealed cast member on the series, which marks the return of Star Trek to scripted television for the first time since Star Trek Enterprise ended its run in 2005.

Casting Yeoh, one of Asia’s biggest stars of the past three decades, underscores the global appeal the producers of Star Trek: Discovery are going for with the new series, which is being distributed in 188 countries outside of the US and Canada by Netflix.

Major plot and character details about Star Trek Discovery have not been revealed. It is known however that it will take place approximately 10 years before the events of the original series, and that the lead character will be a young woman, likely non-white, serving as a lieutenant commander aboard the Federation starship Discovery, known to her crewmates as “Number One.” This raises the possibility that the character is second in command on the ship, as “number one” is the designation given to two previous Trek first officers: Majel Barrett’s character on the original Star Trek pilot “The Cage”, and William Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

This will be the first Star Trek series where the main character is not the commanding officer, though not all main characters have been full captains, as the Avery Brooks-portrayed Benjamin Sisko on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine started with the rank of commander before being promoted to Captain in season 3. Series co-creator and producer Bryan Fuller has frequently emphasized the show’s commitment to diversity, confirming at TCA last summer that there will be at least one gay character, and has also said there will be both familiar and new alien races.

Fuller co-created Star Trek: Discovery with Alex Kurtzman and served as showrunner until last month when he stepped down from the role, handing the Captain’s chair to his numbers twos, Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts. Earlier this fall, Star Trek: Discovery‘s launch had been pushed from January to May 2017.

News that Michelle Yeoh had come aboard Star Trek: Discovery was first revealed in an interview with consulting producer Nicholas Meyer, published by Coming Soon, which provided no information about her character.

DaneMcCloud 11-29-2016 02:23 PM

CBS has now officially announced the first three cast members of its “Star Trek: Discovery” TV series. Michelle Yeoh, who was linked last week, is now officially set and will be joined by Doug Jones (“Hellboy”) and Anthony Rapp (“Rent”).

Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou of the Federation starship Shenzou. Rapp will play Lieutenant Stamets, a science officer on the U.S.S. Discovery who specializes in an astromycology (space fungus). Jones will play Lieutenant Saru, a Starfleet science officer and a member of an alien species new to the franchise. His character isn’t attached to a particular starship. No other details about the roles were revealed.

Further casting for the series is expected in coming days. “Star Trek: Discovery” is currently set to premiere in May.

--------
Anthony Rapp's character is gay

pr_capone 11-30-2016 12:30 AM

Doug Jones is a big pull if only because of his resume and his ability to work as aliens and general life forms. His work on Hellboy (sans the voice acting in the first film) were excellent. He is second, IMO, only to Serkis, in his ability to play non humans convincingly.

As for Rapp... I went to IMDB to check him out and I;ve actually watched a suprising amount of stuff that he has been in. I can't remember him in absolutely anything other than parts of "A Beautiful Mind" but... meh.

DaneMcCloud 11-30-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12587046)
As for Rapp... I went to IMDB to check him out and I;ve actually watched a suprising amount of stuff that he has been in. I can't remember him in absolutely anything other than parts of "A Beautiful Mind" but... meh.

I've seen Rapp in lots of movies, from Kingpin to Dazed and Confused, Road Trip and more. He's a highly decorated stage actor. Hollywood and New York Theater loves him.

But like you, I'm always "meh" about his acting. I don't see it.

Bowser 11-30-2016 11:19 AM

First thing I thought of when I saw "Shenzou"

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=en

I know they're nowhere near related, just popped to mind. Not as bad as having a science officer named Spack, but in the ballpark maybe? Heh.

Red Brooklyn 12-01-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12587245)
I've seen Rapp in lots of movies, from Kingpin to Dazed and Confused, Road Trip and more. He's a highly decorated stage actor. Hollywood and New York Theater loves him.

But like you, I'm always "meh" about his acting. I don't see it.

Rapp peaked with Adventures in Babysitting.

DaneMcCloud 12-02-2016 08:32 PM

Bryan Fuller is officially out, which isn't a surprised based on recent news, but just another reason why this is destined to fail

pr_capone 12-02-2016 09:05 PM

Awesome...

The co-writer and producer of Into Darkness is now the only guy at the helm. That is a great indication of things to come.

DaneMcCloud 12-15-2016 03:11 PM

Sonequa Martin-Green, best known for her role as Sasha on AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” has signed on to play the central character in CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” series.

Martin-Green will play a Lieutenant Commander on the ship the Discovery and the main face of the series. Specifics of the character are unavailable at this time.

Her casting comes shortly after three Klingon roles and three Starfleet officers have been cast. Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Shazad Latif, Mary Chieffo and Chris Obi also star.

“Star Trek: Discovery” is set a decade before the original “Star Trek” with the Federation and Klingon Empire in the midst of an uneasy cold war. The series will premiere in May on CBS All Access in the US and on Netflix in 188 countries.

RealSNR 12-15-2016 03:23 PM

I thought the name of the ship was USS Discovery. Is it now the Shenzhou?

Also, they're casting a bunch of science officers. The gay character deals with space fungus apparently. Shouldn't they start caring about like... the chief engineer and all that?

Looks like I'm still gonna be pining for Dorn's Captain Worf series that will never happen :(

pr_capone 12-15-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12619657)
Sonequa Martin-Green, ONLY known for her role as Sasha on AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” has signed on to play the central character in CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” series.

FYP

I'll still give it a chance but holy shit... she is not a good actor.

Jamie 12-16-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12619694)
Also, they're casting a bunch of science officers. The gay character deals with space fungus apparently. Shouldn't they start caring about like... the chief engineer and all that?

Since this is all one story it's not a regular Trek cast. Like, if you were casting a particular episode of TNG the lead might be Worf, with Picard and Gowron as supporting characters, and Geordi and Crusher barely in it.