ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official Royals Repository, Part 4 *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293619)

C3HIEF3S 07-28-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11625337)
Last year at this time Oakland had a 12.5 game lead on Kansas City...and then somehow ended the season with one less win than them. Then blowing a 5 run? lead in a Wild Card game.

Some A's fan had to have tried to slit their wrists after that, had to have.

The WC game was the cherry on top of their collapse. A perfect and fitting way for their season to end.

BWillie 07-28-2015 11:41 PM

I think Zobrist should just start a game at catcher, just for the hell of it. He would then be able to say he's started at every single position. Hell, once we clinch, lets have him pitch to. Why the **** not?

cosmo20002 07-28-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11625351)
I think Zobrist should just start a game at catcher, just for the hell of it. He would then be able to say he's started at every single position. Hell, once we clinch, lets have him pitch to. Why the **** not?

From what I've heard about him, he may be able to pitch and catch at the same time. We can rest Salvy and the bullpen all at once. HE'S THAT GOOD

Why Not? 07-28-2015 11:49 PM

Lol@Bauer's salary comment. That should go over real well in Cleveland, one of the most blue collar cities we have.

Bufkin 07-29-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 11625358)
Lol@Bauer's salary comment. That should go over real well in Cleveland, one of the most blue collar cities we have.

What did that Jack Bauer say this time?

cosmo20002 07-29-2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 11625383)

Chloe! I need the satellite uplink...NOW!

Al Bundy 07-29-2015 03:54 AM

Quote:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/LuskGoPro">@LuskGoPro</a> I don&#39;t throw at anyone...might make an exception if I see you though...</p>&mdash; Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) <a href="https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/626239190271967232">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rasputin 07-29-2015 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11625357)
From what I've heard about him, he may be able to pitch and catch at the same time. We can rest Salvy and the bullpen all at once. HE'S THAT GOOD

Ned deserves a day off at the spa, Zobrist should just manage the team as well.

Why Not? 07-29-2015 05:27 AM

Quote:

Damn it! Your going to have to trust me.

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 06:52 AM

*** Official Royals Repository, Part 4 ***

Finnegan & Lamb

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...bats/30802697/

Quote:

Brandon Finnegan parted easily from an organization that drafted him during TCU's run to the 2014 College World Series, then made history by sending the lefty out as a Kansas City Royals reliever in the major-league World Series the same year.

Introduced as a Louisville Bats pitcher Tuesday, Finnegan quipped that he'll "get to swing a bat now, so I'm pretty pumped." On the mound, the Reds will make him a starter, a role he had off and on during his year with the Royals' organization.

"I like starting, but I don't like being taken out once I get in a groove, and that's what was happening with Kansas City," said Finnegan who, along with fellow lefties John Lamb and Cody Reed, was acquired by the Reds in Sunday's Johnny Cueto trade.

"I don't think they knew what was going on, to be honest with you. But I wouldn't be able to do what I did if it wasn't for them. It was fun."

THE COURIER-JOURNAL
Reds looking to Bats for Cueto's replacement

Finnegan is 3-0 with a 2.96 ERA in the majors this year, all 14 of his appearances out of the bullpen. At Triple-A Omaha, he went 0-2 with a 7.07 ERA; four of Finnegan's six outings there were starts.

Finnegan and Lamb, also sent to Louisville, have not yet been activated. Likewise, neither knew as of Tuesday afternoon when they may first appear for the Bats.

First, pitching coach Ted Power said he planned to sit down with Finnegan to "let him tell me what he thinks his strengths are, where his trouble areas are on his delivery with certain pitches," Power said. "…Obviously, the guy's had a high level of success already, so he has a pretty good idea of what he's doing."

The Reds may need pitching by the week's end. David Holmberg will fill Cueto's spot in the rotation Thursday. The trade deadline then looms at 4 p.m. Friday, with Cincinnati likely to deal starter Mike Leake as well.

"Hopefully I'll be up with the rotation sometime," the 22-year-old Finnegan said. "That's what Kansas City had planned for me to do, but obviously that wasn't following through. I'm ready to go."

Finnegan, from Fort Worth, Texas, played three seasons at TCU. Three publications named him an All-American his senior year.

Lamb's in the middle of a comeback season. Years removed from elbow surgery, the 25-year-old went 9-1 with a 2.67 ERA in 2015 at Triple-A Omaha, allowing just 28 earned runs in 94.1 innings.

As for the opportunity he, Finnegan and Reed have to make it to the majors, Lamb noted closer Aroldis Chapman's the only current lefty Reds pitcher. He, too, could be traded this week.
"I just am grateful to be in a place where there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel," Lamb said.

Added Finnegan: "It's crazy to see three left-handers going from one organization…It's definitely cool to be a part of that. They wanted me as a starter, and that's definitely a blessing. It took some people to put that in my head – to understand how big of a blessing this is and how much fun it's going to be. We all three have got a really good chance to make something out of this, and I can't wait to do it."

KCUnited 07-29-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 11624463)
This is one of the all time best. Deserves to be in the Hall of Classics: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233928

Awhile back, I typed Royals Whitesox 2008 into the search and came across the Billy Butler bunting into a double play in extras. Just a couple gems that thread produced:

"The disbelief has led some posters to try to make sense of asking the 325 pounder to bunt."

"i am starting to worry about billy butler's health. I watched TLC this morning and this guy was 800 pounds and he seemed to waggle to the doctors office alittle faster than butler got to first."

It also had me defending Joey Gathright :facepalm:

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 07:15 AM

At the ever faster rate these threads are turning over, we could hit double digits potentially.

BWillie 07-29-2015 07:17 AM

So the Dodgers (with their elite starting pitching and money and all) are virtually tied with the Giants. And the Oakland (until the recent trade) has the two best SP's by ERA in the American League and they are in last place.

Yet, KC is the one with the 61-38 record.

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 11624952)
I am not saying I don't ever want to see Scott Blewett pitch for the Royals, but with that name I am hoping that Scott Blewett never pitches for the Royals.

Well, if his baseball career doesn't pan out, he can always fall back on gay p0rn

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 11625433)
Ned deserves a day off at the spa, Zobrist should just manage the team as well.

... get ya nails done, get ya hair did...

Unsmooth-Moment 07-29-2015 07:34 AM

Is Zobrist available today?

Sure-Oz 07-29-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 11625542)

Tomorrow

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 11625542)

Batting 6th tomorrow.

Javabean 07-29-2015 07:46 AM

Saw this on ESPN today: the Royals are 42-14 when they hit at least one homer.

BWillie 07-29-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 11625561)
Saw this on ESPN today: the Royals are 42-14 when they hit at least one homer.

Should have traded for Mike Jacobs.

WhawhaWhat 07-29-2015 07:52 AM

Saw this posted on reddit yesterday and they are talking about it on 810 this morning:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OqzSgTuEaW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeepSouth 07-29-2015 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 11625573)
Saw this posted on reddit yesterday and they are talking about it on 810 this morning:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OqzSgTuEaW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cueto starts against Drew Hutchison (9 - 2) Friday night. That's quite a first test as a Royal.

MahiMike 07-29-2015 08:04 AM

I want to buy a Royals flag to fly high in Florida. The selection on mlb.com was limited. Any ideas?

Unsmooth-Moment 07-29-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 11625544)
Tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 11625546)
Batting 6th tomorrow.

Thanks

WhawhaWhat 07-29-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 11625588)
I want to buy a Royals flag to fly high in Florida. The selection on mlb.com was limited. Any ideas?

Not sure what they have on mlb.com but Rallyhouse is where I usually go for Royals stuff.

http://www.rallyhouse.com/mlb-kansas...-flags-banners

Great Expectations 07-29-2015 08:20 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Kansas-City-Ro.../dp/B00RAR1CB2

doomy3 07-29-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 11625587)
Cueto starts against Drew Hutchison (9 - 2) Friday night. That's quite a first test as a Royal.

Drew Hutchison has a 5.42 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP. He isn't very good.

It will be quite a first test because Cueto is facing a brutal lineup for the Blue Jays, but it isn't a test because he's squaring up with some kind of an ace.

BWillie 07-29-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 11625636)
Drew Hutchison has a 5.42 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP. He isn't very good.

It will be quite a first test because Cueto is facing a brutal lineup for the Blue Jays, but it isn't a test because he's squaring up with some kind of an ace.

If he doesn't throw strikes, we might struggle, cuz we'll swing at 'em.

suzzer99 07-29-2015 10:07 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i_kF4zLNKio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love some gangsta rap, but this is just terrible.

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 10:50 AM

Rany:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/20...and-athletics/

Quote:

Royals GM Dayton Moore isn’t messing around, folks. In for a penny, in for the whole damn treasury.

When I wrote up all the reasons it was a good idea for Kansas City to trade for Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto — was that just 48 hours ago? — I left out one caveat: As much as Cueto fits the team’s needs, he wasn’t the player I thought should be the Royals’ no. 1 priority on the trade market. That player was Ben Zobrist, whom Moore acquired from the A’s on Tuesday afternoon for pitching prospects Aaron Brooks and Sean Manaea.

Now, in isolation, Cueto is more valuable than Zobrist. If you were building a team from scratch with a design on winning short playoff series, you’d definitely pick Cueto, a no. 1 starter who can pitch an outsize number of innings in October, potentially starting two of the five division series games if necessary, over Zobrist, a versatile and extremely underrated position player, but not a superstar.

More 2015 MLB Trade Deadline

Ben Zobrist: The perfect Royals add
Parsing the Tulowitzki blockbuster
Title-hungry Royals acquire Cueto
The Nats fix their biggest weakness
The Kazmir deal is great for all sides
Big holes 12 contenders need to fill
How to participate in Hug Watch '15
All of our trade deadline coverage!

Only, Moore isn’t operating in isolation. Because make no mistake: Like Cueto, Zobrist wasn’t acquired to help the Royals reach the postseason — something that, and please don’t burn me at the stake for saying this, is approaching a foregone conclusion. He was acquired to help them win in the postseason. Most playoff-bound teams covet nothing more than an ace on the mound for Game 1, but the Royals weren’t content stopping there.
No discussion about how to win in the postseason should begin without this preamble: No one knows how to win in the postseason. The brightest minds in the game — including the most influential analysts of the past two generations, Bill James and Nate Silver — have tried to come up with a system for predicting which playoff teams will succeed and which will fail. No one has managed it. With that caveat out of the way, common sense suggests that the team that can get the most reps for its best players in the playoffs will have an edge. And the biggest difference between how pitchers are used and how batters are used is this: Teams can manipulate the way their pitchers are used so that their best pitchers are on the mound at the most critical times; teams can’t do the same with their hitters.

So as much as Cueto helps Kansas City by becoming the ace who ought to throw more innings in the postseason than anyone else on the staff, the Royals didn’t have to have him. They didn’t have him last year — they had James Shields, but that’s not the same thing — and they still went 11-4 in the playoffs. They succeeded without an ace in 2014 because they had the best bullpen trio anyone had ever seen, and with all the off days in October, the threesome of Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis, and Greg Holland was able to throw a huge fraction of the team’s innings. The three combined to throw 40.1 innings — an average of 2.69 innings per game — in the postseason, allowing just six runs. Those three are pitching nearly as well this season, and they’ve been joined by Ryan Madson (1.69 ERA) and Franklin Morales (2.16 ERA). Having a no. 1 starter who can deliver seven dominant innings is more of a luxury than a necessity with a bullpen that can now manage four innings of dominant relief in every playoff game.

But while a team can shuttle away a ton of innings from mediocre starters to top-shelf relievers in the playoffs, it can’t shuttle away a ton of at-bats from the bottom of the lineup to the heart of the order, which is why the Royals had to have Zobrist. A batting lineup proceeds with numbing consistency, one through nine, over and over again. And this season, the Royals’ greatest weakness has been the two giant holes in their lineup: at second base, where Omar Infante is hitting .231/.244/.322, and in right field, where Alex Rios has ridden a hot streak all the way to a .254/.289/.327 line. No team wants to face a playoff pitching staff with the equivalent of a seven-man lineup.

The Royals have managed to beat regular-season pitching staffs with that seven-man lineup, and given the track records of Infante and Rios, it’s possible one of them will start hitting over the season’s final two months. It’s extremely unlikely that both will, however. In an ideal world, the Royals would pick up an above-average hitter who could play either second base or right field, and move him to whichever position they deemed a bigger problem when the playoffs start. But where would they find such a player, one who can hit, who can play defense, and who can play two positions with very different skill sets?

They found him in Oakland. Zobrist is almost sui generis among baseball players over the past decade, having started more than 500 games at second base and more than 300 games in the outfield, with elite defensive numbers at both positions: plus-46 runs and plus-32 runs saved, respectively, per Baseball Info Solutions. He is also an excellent hitter, having batted .269/.362/.441 since 2008, averaging 38 doubles and 19 homers per 162 games while playing his entire career in pitchers’ parks. Toss in the fact he’s a switch-hitter, and he has as broad a skill set as anyone in the game.

He isn’t elite in any single skill, so he gets overlooked in a discussion of the game’s best players. But consider this:

Most Wins Above Replacement,1 Position Players, 2009–Present:

Miguel Cabrera, 42.5
Robinson Cano, 42.4
Adrian Beltre, 38.6
Ben Zobrist, 38.1
Evan Longoria, 37.9

Zobrist, in fact, led all major league hitters in bWAR between 2009 and 2012, a fact that will still be tripping up trivia experts decades from now. He is, perhaps, the most underrated baseball player of the past decade. He is also 34 years old, and his defense isn’t what it used to be, and he missed a month this season following arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. His streak of six straight seasons with at least 4.6 bWAR will almost certainly end this year. But even so, he’s hitting .268/.354/.447, and has the lowest strikeout rate, and best strikeout-to-walk ratio, of his career.

The player Zobrist most resembles is probably Royals left fielder Alex Gordon, whose position in the field Zobrist will play until Gordon returns from his groin injury. Gordon, like Zobrist, does everything well but has no elite talent except for his defense, which is a skill we don’t have sexy statistics to illustrate. Gordon’s career line is .269/.349/.436, and per 162 games, he has averaged … 38 doubles and 19 homers, the exact same averages as Zobrist has the past eight years.2

The Royals’ lineup is effective but extremely unconventional; K.C. has the fewest strikeouts in the majors but is on pace to draw just 347 walks, which would be the fewest by any team in a full season since 1966. Gordon was the one semi-patient hitter in the lineup, and there is a synergy that comes from adding a patient hitter to a lineup of free swingers, just as there is a synergy that comes from adding a power hitter to a lineup of leadoff types. Zobrist’s plate discipline should add a refreshing change of pace to the Royals’ usual approach. And while he is a switch-hitter, Zobrist has hit left-handed pitching slightly better than right-handed pitching for his career (.813 OPS versus a .771 OPS), which makes him a good complement for a Royals team that has been somewhat vulnerable to left-handers this season. The Royals have hit .272/.323/.421 versus right-handed pitching this year, but just .274/.324/.392 versus left-handed pitching, a fact the Astros were no doubt aware of when they traded for southpaw Scott Kazmir.3

When Gordon returns in early September, it will allow the Royals to start this lineup down the stretch:

R SS Alcides Escobar
L 3B Mike Moustakas
R CF Lorenzo Cain
L 1B Eric Hosmer
S DH Kendrys Morales
L LF Alex Gordon
S 2B Ben Zobrist
R C Salvador Perez

The no. 9 spot in the lineup could be some combination of Rios, Jarrod Dyson, and Paulo Orlando in right field. Or, Zobrist could play right field and Infante could play second base. This assumes that Ned Yost sticks with Escobar as his leadoff hitter despite Zobrist’s massive OBP advantage, which from everything we know about Yost is a safe assumption. (Gordon batted sixth almost all season, after all.) There’s no Mike Trout or Bryce Harper in the middle of that order, but any lineup that can bat Salvador Perez eighth is doing all right.

Zobrist not only helps the Royals in an ideal-world setting, he also provides insurance in a worst-case-scenario world. Last year, the 89-win Royals swept the 98-win Angels in the ALDS, and it wasn’t as big of an upset as those win totals would indicate, because the Angels won 98 games in large part due to Garrett Richards, who was having a no. 1-starter type of season before gruesomely dislocating his patella on a fielding play in August. The Royals are trying to avoid being this year’s Angels: the dominant regular-season team that gets waxed in the playoffs in part because it was missing one of its key contributors.

Having dodged a bullet when Gordon collapsed on the warning track on July 8 — what many feared was a season-ending ACL tear turned out to be something less than that — the Royals are well aware of how vulnerable they are to an injury to almost any of their position players. An injury to someone like Escobar or Moustakas would be devastating, as the team simply doesn’t have much in the way of backup options. Zobrist, who has started at every position except pitcher and catcher, provides the kind of versatility that gives the Royals the best insurance plan available on the open market.4

If Cueto raised the ceiling for what this Royals team can do in the postseason, Zobrist just raised the floor. And given the Royals’ record this season, and given their postseason success last season, you could argue that the latter is more important than the former.

The Royals gave up a lot for two months of Zobrist. Brooks is a strike-throwing soft-tosser whom few in Kansas City will miss — he didn’t endear himself to Royals fans by giving up 13 runs in 2.2 innings in his major league debut last season — although the A’s have done well in the past when trading for pitchers with a similar skill set, like Tommy Milone and Kendall Graveman. But Manaea is the real prize, a dominant collegiate left-hander who got $3.55 million to sign out of the draft, and who has struck out 185 batters in 153 pro innings. Manaea fell in the draft because he needed hip surgery, and he missed the first half of this season with a pulled abdominal muscle, but if he can stay healthy, he has a chance to be a no. 2 starter. The Royals have decimated their farm system for two rentals who probably won’t be around to make them a single game better in 2016 and beyond.

The biggest fear with this trade is simply that the Royals are acting as if talent alone can guarantee postseason success. Nothing can. The odds are still heavily against them winning a world championship, as they are against every other team in the majors. But I can’t help but respect the attempt. The Royals needed to add a difference-maker in their rotation or a difference-maker in their lineup, but Moore decided that he wanted to have his cake and eat it, too. And damned if he didn’t accomplish both.

Prison Bitch 07-29-2015 10:57 AM

On FG our odds to win it all have gone from 6% to 11%. Part of that has been wins in the past week and prob a bit to the Twins backslide. Odds to go to World Series about 23%, behind YankMe's at 26%.

Playoff odds 98%, division odds 97%.

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Anyone remember the vendor out at the K that used to do his distinct Lemonade... Lemonade... Lemonade call when working the game?

The guy on the video sounds exactly like him. I think we've figured out what he's been up to.

penbrook 07-29-2015 11:20 AM

Per Andy McCullough

KC expressed interest in David Price last week, but found Detroit wasn't ready to deal. So the Royals jumped on Johnny Cueto, instead.

RollChiefsRoll 07-29-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 11626041)
Anyone remember the vendor out at the K that used to do his distinct Lemonade... Lemonade... Lemonade call when working the game?

The guy on the video sounds exactly like him. I think we've figured out what he's been up to.

Leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh... LEEEEEEEHHHH-MOH-NEHHHHH!!

Valiant 07-29-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Wham has a new song eh??

Valiant 07-29-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 11626041)

Nothing like him.. His name was Jesus.. Nice guy he left for another park last time I spoke to him years ago when at the games.. We bought that ****ing lemonade just because of him.. Then learned to bring vodka..

TLO 07-29-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 11625817)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i_kF4zLNKio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love some gangsta rap, but this is just terrible.

Watch me whip, watch me me nae nae.

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 11626093)
Per Andy McCullough

KC expressed interest in David Price last week, but found Detroit wasn't ready to deal. So the Royals jumped on Johnny Cueto, instead.

Good . I know you can argue back and forth between the 2 guys. I still wanted Cueto over any of the pitchers that have been in discussion. I think this environment and team is going to see him dominate in unspeakable fashion after he gets his bearings and has a chance to gel and understand exactly what it means he can and can't do with our defense behind him and the outlay of the K.

In a contract year playing for one of the arguably most favored teams to go to / win a World Series.

BWillie 07-29-2015 12:11 PM

You guys still think Guthrie is better than Chris Young?

I'm not saying don't take him out of the rotation, we need cheap innings....but just keep him in mind come playoff time. Hopefully Duffy and Ventura progress and we don't even have to worry about it.

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollChiefsRoll (Post 11626095)
Leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh-leh-mo-neh... LEEEEEEEHHHH-MOH-NEHHHHH!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11626142)
Nothing like him.. His name was Jesus.. Nice guy he left for another park last time I spoke to him years ago when at the games.. We bought that ****ing lemonade just because of him.. Then learned to bring vodka..

What was great was from the publicity he got they had him on sports radio to just get some background on him and such. People liked him so much that for a while they were having him calling in to do a short segment on the radio each week.

Prison Bitch 07-29-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11626251)

I'm not saying don't take him out of the rotation, we need cheap innings....

Not only are Guts' IP terrible, they're far from "cheap". We paid $9M for a replacement level starter and you guys are throwing celebration parties for him getting to pitch more than anybody else.

Truly bizarre.

Dartgod 07-29-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11626364)
Not only are Guts' IP terrible, they're far from "cheap". We paid $9M for a replacement level starter and you guys are throwing celebration parties for him getting to pitch more than anybody else.

Truly bizarre.

You are truly reeruned. First off, no one is "throwing celebration parties". Secondly, there has to be a reason why he's started more games than anyone except Volquez. Hmmm, wonder what reason that could be?

Most of us realize what Guthrie is and accept him in that role, because we have no one better to fill that role at this time. Guthrie has value to this team.

The rest of you would rather throw a hissy fit every time he pitches.

alnorth 07-29-2015 01:26 PM

ESPN has picked up our game August 16 at the Angels for Sunday Night Baseball. Game time has been moved to the evening.

edit: oh, thats in KC, not at LA

duncan_idaho 07-29-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11626364)

Truly bizarre.

Pointing out the value a player who has flaws is able to provide despite those flaws is not throwing a celebration party. It's being subjective.

I would love for KC to have Corey Kluber take all of Guthrie's starts. Or David Price. But just because Jeremy Guthrie isn't those guys doesn't mean he has not provided value for the team over the life of his deal.

Al Bundy 07-29-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11626384)
You are truly reeruned. First off, no one is "throwing celebration parties". Secondly, there has to be a reason why he's started more games than anyone except Volquez. Hmmm, wonder what reason that could be?

Most of us realize what Guthrie is and accept him in that role, because we have no one better to fill that role at this time. Guthrie has value to this team.

The rest of you would rather throw a hissy fit every time he pitches.

He is just going to have these kind of days where, really he should have given up 15 runs. When he falls off a shelf he goes all the way down.

Dartgod 07-29-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 11626416)
He is just going to have these kind of days where, really he should have given up 15 runs. When he falls off a shelf he goes all the way down.

Now that I think about it, it may be time to give Medlen a shot in the rotation. Not sure how far he can be stretched out. Probably doesn't matter though. I assume Guthrie stays where he is at.

DeepSouth 07-29-2015 01:34 PM

I think it's time to give Medlen a start.

siberian khatru 07-29-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11626414)
ESPN has picked up our game August 16 at the Angels for Sunday Night Baseball. Game time has been moved to the evening.

Is that a Cueto start?

Great Expectations 07-29-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 11626426)
Is that a Cueto start?

We need to know if we are skipping a start on Monday or not before we can project who is starting when.

Bufkin 07-29-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 11626426)
Is that a Cueto start?

It's kind of impossible to tell at this point. Me and my friends were trying to time out one of his August home starts, and it's such a crapshoot at this point.

Also, I'll always celebrate Jeremy Guthrie. He's easily one of my favorite Royals of all time. I mean how many starting pitchers tweet out to local residents if anybody is down for a game of catch? I've attended his local church ward multiple time in Platte City, and he's an awesome guy.

He was told by Steve Phillips after Stanford that if he went on his 2 year Church mission, he would never sniff the big leagues. A few million dollars later (and a game 7 World Series start), and he's still living the dream. Good for you JGuts. I'll always be a fan.

Lex Luthor 07-29-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11626251)

I'm not saying don't take him out of the rotation, we need cheap innings....but just keep him in mind come playoff time. Hopefully Duffy and Ventura progress and we don't even have to worry about it.

No.

I was one of the guys saying that Young's arm is dead and Guthrie needs to stay in the rotation. After watching today's debacle (and seeing how Young pitched last night), it's obvious who needs to go to the pen.

Hopefully Ned agrees.

WhawhaWhat 07-29-2015 01:54 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Tigers?src=hash">#Tigers</a> called teams today &amp; told them they&#39;re &quot;rebooting.&quot; Will listen on David Price, Cespedes etc. More to come at <a href="http://t.co/gtnhE81RUu">http://t.co/gtnhE81RUu</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/626474889235591168">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

alnorth 07-29-2015 01:54 PM

You can't even begin to guess more than 10 days out. Something as simple as a rain delay could screw up your plans. Even a minor injury that is not serious but they decide to skip a start could change the whole thing.

Al Bundy 07-29-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11626421)
Now that I think about it, it may be time to give Medlen a shot in the rotation. Not sure how far he can be stretched out. Probably doesn't matter though. I assume Guthrie stays where he is at.

I would to, I would also like to see him stretched out a bit here in the next week or so.

petegz28 07-29-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11626421)

How's that work??

1. Cueto
2. Volquez
3. Duffy
4. Ventura
5. Medlen

C3HIEF3S 07-29-2015 02:06 PM

Glad I missed this one today LMAO, had to move into my house at college.

Three7s 07-29-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 11626466)

I didn't watch or follow on GDT. The CP GDT was far more humorous.

Halfcan 07-29-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11626441)
No.

I was one of the guys saying that Young's arm is dead and Guthrie needs to stay in the rotation. After watching today's debacle (and seeing how Young pitched last night), it's obvious who needs to go to the pen.

Hopefully Ned agrees.

:thumb:

Yep Gopher Ball Guthrie needs to go. I am not sure he would be any better in the pen though.

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11626414)

Projecting Cueto starts with 5 man rotation.

Not sure how they will handle off days on August 3rd, August 17th, August 31st, September 10th, September 21st

July 31 - at Toronto
August 6 - at Detroit
August 11 - Detroit
August 16 - LA
August 22 - at Boston
August 27 - Baltimore
September 2 - Detroit
September 7 - Minnesota
September 12 - at Baltimore
September 17 - at Cleveland
September 23 - Seattle
September 28 - at Cubs
October 3 - at Minnesota

Prison Bitch 07-29-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 11626484)
:thumb:

Yep Gopher Ball Guthrie needs to go. I am not sure he would be any better in the pen though.

He's a 5 starter tho, so his failures are ok. (He's 2nd in salary and 2nd in IP but I've been told he's still a 5. How this is determined is never made clear)

Hootie 07-29-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11626638)
He's a 5 starter tho, so his failures are ok. (He's 2nd in salary and 2nd in IP but I've been told he's still a 5. How this is determined is never made clear)

It's determined quite easily, dumbass.

If the season ended today, our postseason starters would line up like this:

Cueto, Volquez, Duffy, Ventura, Cueto.

Where exactly do you see Guthrie in that postseason rotation?

lewdog 07-29-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 11626466)

Welcome back, boo.

Change your ****ing name already!

Dartgod 07-29-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11626638)

He's second in IP because every starter besides him and Volquez has spent time on the DL or been suspended.

God, you're a moron.

Saul Good 07-29-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11626640)

Morales is our #2 hitter because he has the second most at bats.

I'm not sure if Cueto is our #4 starter because of his salary or our #8 starter because of innings pitched, though.

Dartgod 07-29-2015 04:23 PM

Our rotation at the beginning of the season:
  1. Ventura
  2. Duffy
  3. Volquez
  4. Vargas
  5. Guthrie

:hmmm:

Anyong Bluth 07-29-2015 04:48 PM

Well, after today's game it's pretty obvious that Cueto and Zoebrist have tore the clubhouse apart and ruined the team's chemistry.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07...8e4aadc355.jpg

THANKS A LOT, DAYTON!

Prison Bitch 07-29-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11626640)

Amen brotha, he's a 5-starter in postseason.

Now, obviously, you agree there's no such thing during a regular season. Right? After all, our "5" just lost to their "1" today.

milkman 07-29-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11626669)
Amen brotha, he's a 5-starter in postseason.

Now, obviously, you agree there's no such thing during a regular season. Right? After all, our "5" just lost to their "1" today.

:facepalm:

cosmo20002 07-29-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11626644)
Morales is our #2 hitter because he has the second most at bats.

I'm not sure if Cueto is our #4 starter because of his salary or our #8 starter because of innings pitched, though.

I say he's our #1 hitter because he's played in the most games.
He's played in EVERY game. Only Royal to have played in every game.

Deberg_1990 07-29-2015 05:25 PM

Is it time to let Hochevar try and start a game again?

Sure-Oz 07-29-2015 05:27 PM

@Dave_Gershman: SOURCE: #Mets close to acquiring OF Yoenis Cespedes from Tigers

C3HIEF3S 07-29-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11626641)
Welcome back, boo.

Change your ****ing name already!

I'm still thinking.

And blanking.

cosmo20002 07-29-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11626712)
Is it time to let Hochevar try and start a game again?

Where, in Omaha?

Sure-Oz 07-29-2015 05:52 PM

2:50 mark finnegan throws jab at royals saying they didn't know what they were doing. Wtf man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slbn...ature=youtu.be

Sure-Oz 07-29-2015 05:52 PM

Might've not shown up to spring training 20lbs overweight

Chiefspants 07-29-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 11626753)
2:50 mark finnegan throws jab at royals saying they didn't know what they were doing. Wtf man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slbn...ature=youtu.be

Meh, he's a kid trying to embrace his new (last place) squad. Thanks for everything, Finny!

suzzer99 07-29-2015 05:57 PM

Who's mark finnegan?

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 06:00 PM

Found this article posted last week on a NYC website.

Quote:

Although Brian Cashman has said he believes the New York Yankees could very well stand pat at the trade deadline and not make any deals, he did make similar remarks last season, before the Yankees ended up acquiring Marin Prado and Chase Headley.

In the thick of the AL East race, here are moves the Yankees could make to elevate themselves to championship contenders.

Starting Pitchers:

Mike Leake

While Mike Leake is not a top of the rotation pitcher, he is a very capable bottom of the rotation guy who can eat innings. With injury prone players such as Michael Pineda, Masahiro Tanaka and CC Sabathia at the top of the rotation, someone like Leake could very well come in handy, as well as saving the Yankees seemingly overused bullpen healthy. Leake has pitched 121 innings in 19 starts this season, and threw 214 last season. The Yankees bullpen has the seventh most innings thrown, and giving them extra rest with someone such as Leake could help out quite a bit.

The only downside with him is that he could struggle pitching in the American League at the hitter friendly Yankee Stadium. He has pitched in Great America Ballpark his entire career which also happens to favor hitters, but with the DH in the AL, he could struggle. He has a 3.95 ERA this season, and a career mark of 3.92.

The biggest draw with Leake is he would not cost a whole lot to acquire, compared to other available starters such as Cole Hamels and Jeff Samardzija. The Cincinnati Reds should begin to enter rebuild mode, and Leake will most likely be traded.

Johnny Cueto

Cueto will almost definitely be on a new roster come August 1st. The Reds ace has just a 6-6 record, but his 2.79 ERA is excellent, and his .95 WHIP is even better. Cueto has had a sub 3 ERA for five consecutive seasons, and his WHIP also has gradually dropped over the last four. He is a certified ace, and would do wonders at the top of the Yankees rotation. He may also come at a reasonable ransom, as he is in the final season of his contract and the Reds are probably entering a fire sale.

The one-year on his contract could also be a deter. If the Yankees fail to re-sign him in the offseason, they could end up losing a group of talented prospects for nothing.

Adding Cueto to the Yankees already talented pitching staff would surely elevate them to potential World Series contenders.

Other options: Scott Kazmir, Ian Kennedy, Cole Hamels, Jeff Samardzija, Clay Buchholz

Relief Pitchers:

Tyler Clippard

The Oakland Athletics have been in a nosedive since the All-Star break a season ago, and could look to unload. Clippard was actually on the Yankees for a season as a starter, before being traded to the Nationals and subsequently converted to a reliever. He has thrived in that role since, with a career 2.84 ERA and 1.07 WHIP out of the bullpen. The Yankees could potentially use one final arm to round out their bullpen, especially a righty such as Clippard.

Clippard is also a strikeout machine, posting a 10.49 K/9 last season, and 3.57 K/BB. If the price is right with Clippard, he could be a sound addition.

Brad Ziegler

Much like the Reds, the sliding Arizona Diamondbacks could look to trade away guys to contending teams at the deadline. The 35-year-old Brad Ziegler could be one of those players. The righty reliever has been dominant this season, posting a 1.08 ERA and .79 WHIP in 41.2 IP. Batters are hitting just .156 against him .248 slugging percentage.

The eight-year veteran would add yet another formidable arm to the bullpen, possibly making the Yankees have the second best bullpen in the league, behind the unbeatable Kansas City Royals.

Other options: Fernando Rodney, John Axford, Jason Grilli, Rafael Betancourt, Aroldis Chapman

Infielders:

Dustin Ackley

While the former 2009 second overall pick has struggled this season with just a .216 average and 6 home runs, the Yankees have been linked to him and like his potential. He has mostly played in the outfield this season, but has played 250 games at second base since 2011. His ability to also play first base and the outfield gives the Yankees solid flexibility.

The 27-year-old, at one point, was hailed as the next big thing in the big leagues, but hasn’t panned out very well thus far. He is a left handed batter though, so his numbers could rise at Yankee Stadium with the short porch out in right field. If he continues to struggle, he is in the final year of his contract so the Yankees could easily cut ties with Ackley, but if they do decide to keep him he is arbitration eligible and could stay for cheap.

Ben Zobrist

The ultimate utility man, Ben Zobrist can play practically every position on the diamond aside from pitcher and catcher. With bullpens expanding, someone like Zobrist is incredibly valuable. His hitting numbers have tailed off a bit, but he was dealing with injuries for a large part of the season, but appears to be healthy now.

The 34-year-old is hitting .258 with 5 home runs and 32 RBI, with a .346 OBP. While those aren’t great numbers, he is probably a better option than Stephen Drew and the inexperienced Rob Refsnyder, who is better suited to take over next season. He also could platoon at third base with the somewhat regressing Chase Headley. Zobrist also is in the final year of his contract, paving the way for Refsnyder next season. He may be difficult to obtain though, as many teams have shown interest and the Yankees are reluctant to give up top tier prospects.

Other options: Brandon Phillips, Aaron Hill, DJ LeMahieu, Chris Owings, Chase Utley

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 11626717)
@Dave_Gershman: SOURCE: #Mets close to acquiring OF Yoenis Cespedes from Tigers

I wonder what prospects the Mets have?

KChiefs1 07-29-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 11626769)
I wonder what prospects the Mets have?

STEVEN MATZ LHP

MICHAEL CONFORTO OF

BRANDON NIMMO OF

AMED ROSARIO SS

GAVIN CECCHINI SS

DOMINIC SMITH 1B

MICHAEL FULMER RHP

MARCOS MOLINA RHP

MATT REYNOLDS SS

GABRIEL YNOA RHP

MILTON RAMOS SS