ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Rasslin is YES! YES! YES! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282865)

LiveSteam 04-08-2014 10:33 PM

Well son of bitch

Reaper16 04-08-2014 10:35 PM

I really hope it isn't suicide, like you said, Fruit Ninja. His promo on RAW last night can be interpreted as a sort of suicide note, talking about how every man one day dies and some men will live forever in the stories that people tell about them etc etc.

update: WWE Network no longer has Saturday's Hall of Fame induction ceremony available to watch on-demand.

CoMoChief 04-08-2014 10:35 PM

This saddens me.

Weird considering he was just inducted into the WWE HOF and was part of the entire WM weekend etc.

Valiant 04-08-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10550030)
QQ in rassling thread. lol

doesn't count in another thread for somethign else..

58kcfan89 04-08-2014 10:36 PM

I kinda wrote off his HOF speech and promo last night as "Warrior being Warrior" when he was talking about weird crap like how your legacy will live on after you're gone because of the fans' memories & whatnot. Now I'm hoping it wasn't something more than that.

EDIT: Dammit, you guys, beating me to the point. Timing of this is freaking crazy.

Valiant 04-08-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10550033)
This saddens me.

Weird considering he was just inducted into the WWE HOF and was part of the entire WM weekend etc.

Lived long enough to see it though...

RIP, only a few of my favorites left from teh 80s..

Deberg_1990 04-08-2014 10:37 PM

Wow, RIp...loved watching him perform when I was a kid.

kcxiv 04-08-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58kcfan89 (Post 10550035)
I kinda wrote off his HOF speech and promo last night as "Warrior being Warrior" when he was talking about weird crap like how your legacy will live on after you're gone because of the fans' memories & whatnot. Now I'm hoping it wasn't something more than that.

EDIT: Dammit, you guys, beating me to the point. Timing of this is freaking crazy.

good to know i wasnt the only one that thought that. I said it a few pages back and had to explain why.

All in all, it was weird! and yes i know he's Weird as it is.

BigCatDaddy 04-08-2014 10:42 PM

Way to kick off the new thread Reaper, you asshole :D

Reaper16 04-08-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10550051)
Way to kick off the new thread Reaper, you asshole :D

My username is REAPER. What the heck else am I do to besides herald death?

Ultra Peanut 04-08-2014 10:45 PM

... welp,

58kcfan89 04-08-2014 10:51 PM

For anyone who missed it on Raw last night... Creepy.

"Every mans heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe its final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the bodies of others; If it makes them believe deeper in something larger than life; than his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized..."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xR08M6EUd0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaper16 04-08-2014 10:53 PM

The spaceship has been loaded with the rocket fuel. R.I.P.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-08-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10550072)

SHOVE THAT PLANE INTO A NOSEDIVE!!

In58men 04-08-2014 11:06 PM

Best memory, Hulk vs Sid, Papa Shango comes down to help Sid and then.......DUN DUN DUN.......dundundundundun ITS THE WARRIOR!!!!!!!

CoMoChief 04-08-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10550032)
I really hope it isn't suicide, like you said, Fruit Ninja. His promo on RAW last night can be interpreted as a sort of suicide note, talking about how every man one day dies and some men will live forever in the stories that people tell about them etc etc.

update: WWE Network no longer has Saturday's Hall of Fame induction ceremony available to watch on-demand.

Wow seriously?

CoMoChief 04-08-2014 11:20 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tn9gtrHXxcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ultra Peanut 04-08-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10550072)

The cockpit doors are in the enclosed pool area.

CoMoChief 04-08-2014 11:29 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xR08M6EUd0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 04-08-2014 11:40 PM

Man, this ****ing sucks. Thanks for the entertainment and RIP.

Sassy Squatch 04-08-2014 11:49 PM

Sounds like it really was natural. Collapsed while walking to his car with his wife.

BryanBusby 04-09-2014 02:24 AM

They probably shouldn't get the Iron Sheik to say any words at his funeral.

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3A...ypd&f=realtime

It sucks for his family, especially his wife, but I can't build up much pity for a huge homophobe and racist.

Sassy Squatch 04-09-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10550156)
They probably shouldn't get the Iron Sheik to say any words at his funeral.

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3A...ypd&f=realtime

It sucks for his family, especially his wife, but I can't build up much pity for a huge homophobe and racist.

He would fit perfectly here

loochy 04-09-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10550024)
Some of the best videos on YouTube are Ultimate Warrior speeches from the 80's.

Oh, those are great.

His repeated shoots and rants against hogan and vince were not so great. Tjey were, however, very interesting.

Warrior (real life version) struck me as a wannabe philosopher.

With that being said, he is still my all time favorite (followed by kanedertaker).

... THE POWER OF ALL THE WARRIORS IS FLOATIN THROUGH THE VEINS IN THE BLOOD OF THE WARRRRRRRRRRIIIAAAAHHHHHH

SNORT

Mr. Arrowhead 04-09-2014 06:04 AM

that is crazy, I remember watching him on Raw when he spoke this past monday, and thinking man he doesnt look good, he looked like he was about to have a heart attack on the spot.

BigRock 04-09-2014 06:05 AM

He definitely came off like a pretty vile person the last decade or so. Without even factoring in the bigoted stuff, just the things he said about Bobby Heenan deserving his cancer. And I forget who it was in reference to, but he ripped someone after they'd died and said the person's children would be better off without their dad.

But seeing his daughters come out to the stage with him at the HOF and all that. ****.

Mosbonian 04-09-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsNow (Post 10549459)
I wresled in high school. To me alstar wrestling is an insult to wrestling.

Rather than come in here and try to insult people's intelligence you could have spent more time in the classroom polishing your spelling skills.

And like many others have said in posts.....I have all kinds of friends I know who wrestled both in HS and in College who have no issue with this.

You sound a bit frustrated, almost like you tried out and were told you couldn't cut it.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-09-2014 06:24 AM

Dude tried to troll, got beat down, then played dumb.

Mecca 04-09-2014 06:36 AM

That Warrior thing is just so bizarre. I wasn't expecting that, it's like there was finally closure to his career and bam he's gone.

Reaper16 04-09-2014 07:08 AM

Natural causes makes this merely bizarre instead of horrifying. Whew.

LoneWolf 04-09-2014 07:10 AM

John Pinnete, Mickey Rooney, and The Ultimate Warrior. I guess actors do die in threes.

otherstar 04-09-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 10550190)
that is crazy, I remember watching him on Raw when he spoke this past monday, and thinking man he doesnt look good, he looked like he was about to have a heart attack on the spot.

I just watched the video on YouTube that CoMoChief posted and I'd have to agree. I watched my father battle heart disease for the last 20 years of his life and I'd be surprised if Warrior didn't die of a massive heart attack. Macho Man died of a massive heart attack, except that he was driving at the time.

mcaj22 04-09-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 10550192)
He definitely came off like a pretty vile person the last decade or so. Without even factoring in the bigoted stuff, just the things he said about Bobby Heenan deserving his cancer. And I forget who it was in reference to, but he ripped someone after they'd died and said the person's children would be better off without their dad.

But seeing his daughters come out to the stage with him at the HOF and all that. ****.

That was about Heath Ledger.

rico 04-09-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10550196)
Rather than come in here and try to insult people's intelligence you could have spent more time in the classroom polishing your spelling skills.

And like many others have said in posts.....I have all kinds of friends I know who wrestled both in HS and in College who have no issue with this.

You sound a bit frustrated, almost like you tried out and were told you couldn't cut it.

I wrestled in youth/high school/college. To this day, I still consider competing in open tournaments, if I were ever granted the time to get back into wrestling shape. I have no problem with the WWE. In fact, I loved watching it while growing up and still enjoy it if I get the chance to watch it to this day. And I can't get over their athleticism...guys like Shawn Michaels. Guys like Mick Foley who defy logic in terms of not only making it to the WWE appearing physically incapable of competing with the monsters he competed against, but also avoiding their own physical demise (in other words, I don't know how on Earth that guy didn't die after performing some of the stunts he did in the ring, let alone, got up and went back for more...just incredible).

However, I do know why the wrestlers (usually high caliber guys) hate WWE wrestling. It all has to do with notoriety, money and the word "professional" being placed in front of the word, "wrestling." Real wrestlers spend hours and hours and hours training and make huge sacrifices in terms of managing their weight for....nothing, but pride in their accomplishments. Considering WWE wrestlers receive the notoriety/fame, tons of money and to boot, are considered the "professionals" of the wrestling genre, it really grinds a lot of real wrestlers' gears...for they feel that this sport they spend all the time, blood, sweat, tears, etc. training for is not only disrespected, but disregarded completely.... in the perspectives of real wrestlers at the D1 and International level, they are the ones who engage in professional wrestling and are the ones who are deserving of the fame, notoriety and...money. The lack of compensation issue as been alleviated a bit with the emergence and popularity of the UFC, for a lot of wrestlers have turned to the UFC when their wrestling tenures come to a conclusion...and regardless of what anyone on here claims, wrestlers are at a HUGE advantage in comparison to fighters who don't have a wrestling background. So wrestlers who decide on that route are being fiscally compensated, for they are generally successful in the UFC. Problem is, many of your top caliber wrestlers are unwilling to fight in the UFC because they don't want to dodge the potential "permanent physiological damage" bullets to their bodies, which is obviously a huge risk in the UFC.

Hell, real wrestling was stripped from (and eventually reinstated) the freaking Olympics...one of the world's oldest ****ing sports...eliminated. Ironically and IMO, a lot of these high caliber wrestlers are the reason that wrestling was stripped from the Olympics to begin with...because strategic defensive wrestling has consumed the sport and has made the sport boring to the common spectator. As a result, some of the philosophies that have made wrestling fun to watch in the first place are no longer applicable. It used to be "the best defense is a good offense," but now it is basically, "the best offense (or way to win, I guess) is an obnoxiously blatantly utilized overly-defensive strategy." The philosophy of "wrestling to win," has been dethroned by "wrestling not to lose." And as a result, the sport has generally become ****ing boring to watch...much more boring than it was over a decade ago... and it all starts at the college level and in some cases, the elite high school level. Wrestlers aren't being aggressive and trying to score points, but are resorting doing whatever they can to just ensure that they do not give up any points and are perfectly content with winning the match 1-0, by scoring their 1 point via riding time or in OT/sudden victory. It has become ridiculous. Real wrestling is at an all-time low right now and I was hoping that wrestling being eliminated as an Olympic sport would be a wake-up call, but so far it hasn't.

The high caliber real wrestlers who hate WWE wrestling need to shift the blame/hate from WWE wrestling itself, and focusing on advocating to make the sport more watchable to the common spectators by means of finding ways to make real wrestling more entertaining to watch via increasing offensive wrestling. Many common spectators don't "get" real wrestling in terms of the rules, strategy, scoring system, etc. and don't really want to because there doesn't appear to be a lot of action in it...The sport has become so defensive that to the common spectator, it comes off to them as a lot of ring around the rosie/paddy-cake bullshit where two guys seem to be circling away from each other and "playing" the outer line of the wrestling mat. At least when a person watches WWE wrestling, they get to see guys getting power-bombed, bashed over the head with chairs, strangled, suplexed, etc...which provides a substantial amount of additional entertainment value when compared to what the sport of wrestling has become in recent years.

WhiteWhale 04-09-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10550234)
Natural causes makes this merely bizarre instead of horrifying. Whew.

Honestly, it's not bizarre.

He was known as the anabolic warrior to his peers and was juiced out of his mind for over a decade. That stuff is terrible for your heart and it's a big reason these guys tend to have massive heart attacks so young.

rico 04-09-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10550238)
John Pinnete, Mickey Rooney, and The Ultimate Warrior. I guess actors do die in threes.

I am really upset about the deaths of The Ultimate Warrior and Mickey Rooney. The Ultimate Warrior was my favorite WWF wrestler... I have a lot of fond memories of watching Mickey Rooney movies at my grandpa and grandma's house....especially the movie, "The Human Comedy." One of the most underrated movies ever and to this day, one of my favorite movies of all time.

loochy 04-09-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10550727)
I wrestled in youth/high school/college. To this day, I still consider competing in open tournaments, if I were ever granted the time to get back into wrestling shape. I have no problem with the WWE. In fact, I loved watching it while growing up and still enjoy it if I get the chance to watch it to this day. And I can't get over their athleticism...guys like Shawn Michaels. Guys like Mick Foley who defy logic in terms of not only making it to the WWE appearing physically incapable of competing with the monsters he competed against, but also avoiding their own physical demise (in other words, I don't know how on Earth that guy didn't die after performing some of the stunts he did in the ring, let alone, got up and went back for more...just incredible).

However, I do know why the wrestlers (usually high caliber guys) hate WWE wrestling. It all has to do with notoriety, money and the word "professional" being placed in front of the word, "wrestling." Real wrestlers spend hours and hours and hours training and make huge sacrifices in terms of managing their weight for....nothing, but pride in their accomplishments. Considering WWE wrestlers receive the notoriety/fame, tons of money and to boot, are considered the "professionals" of the wrestling genre, it really grinds a lot of real wrestlers' gears...for they feel that this sport they spend all the time, blood, sweat, tears, etc. training for is not only disrespected, but disregarded completely.... in the perspectives of real wrestlers at the D1 and International level, they are the ones who engage in professional wrestling and are the ones who are deserving of the fame, notoriety and...money. The lack of compensation issue as been alleviated a bit with the emergence and popularity of the UFC, for a lot of wrestlers have turned to the UFC when their wrestling tenures come to a conclusion...and regardless of what anyone on here claims, wrestlers are at a HUGE advantage in comparison to fighters who don't have a wrestling background. So wrestlers who decide on that route are being fiscally compensated, for they are generally successful in the UFC. Problem is, many of your top caliber wrestlers are unwilling to fight in the UFC because they don't want to dodge the potential "permanent physiological damage" bullets to their bodies, which is obviously a huge risk in the UFC.

Hell, real wrestling was stripped from (and eventually reinstated) the freaking Olympics...one of the world's oldest ****ing sports...eliminated. Ironically and IMO, a lot of these high caliber wrestlers are the reason that wrestling was stripped from the Olympics to begin with...because strategic defensive wrestling has consumed the sport and has made the sport boring to the common spectator. As a result, some of the philosophies that have made wrestling fun to watch in the first place are no longer applicable. It used to be "the best defense is a good offense," but now it is basically, "the best offense (or way to win, I guess) is an obnoxiously blatantly utilized overly-defensive strategy." The philosophy of "wrestling to win," has been dethroned by "wrestling not to lose." And as a result, the sport has generally become ****ing boring to watch...much more boring than it was over a decade ago... and it all starts at the college level and in some cases, the elite high school level. Wrestlers aren't being aggressive and trying to score points, but are resorting doing whatever they can to just ensure that they do not give up any points and are perfectly content with winning the match 1-0, by scoring their 1 point via riding time or in OT/sudden victory. It has become ridiculous. Real wrestling is at an all-time low right now and I was hoping that wrestling being eliminated as an Olympic sport would be a wake-up call, but so far it hasn't.

The high caliber real wrestlers who hate WWE wrestling need to shift the blame/hate from WWE wrestling itself, and focusing on advocating to make the sport more watchable to the common spectators by means of finding ways to make real wrestling more entertaining to watch via increasing offensive wrestling. Many common spectators don't "get" real wrestling in terms of the rules, strategy, scoring system, etc. and don't really want to because there doesn't appear to be a lot of action in it...The sport has become so defensive that to the common spectator, it comes off to them as a lot of ring around the rosie/paddy-cake bullshit where two guys seem to be circling away from each other and "playing" the outer line of the wrestling mat. At least when a person watches WWE wrestling, they get to see guys getting power-bombed, bashed over the head with chairs, strangled, suplexed, etc...which provides a substantial amount of additional entertainment value when compared to what the sport of wrestling has become in recent years.

tl;dr

rico 04-09-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10550821)
tl;dr

:) Took you too long to tl;dr me. So tl;2;tl;dr

BryanBusby 04-09-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 10550192)

Think it was Davey Boy Smith (British Bulldog). Ripped him for being a drug user, which was ironic since he was an admitted steroid user himself.

BigCatDaddy 04-09-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10550729)

He was known as the anabolic warrior to his peers and was juiced out of his mind for over a decade. That stuff is terrible for your heart and it's a big reason these guys tend to have massive heart attacks so young.

:facepalm:

Mr_Tomahawk 04-09-2014 04:13 PM

This thread is bad Ju-ju.

Just sayin...

burt 04-09-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10550727)
I wrestled in .........college.

Where?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-09-2014 04:36 PM

rico finisher was the monkey claw

Reaper16 04-09-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10550729)

The timing is what is bizarre. How is it NOT bizarre to see someone on TV one night, showing no evident signs of poor health, and the next night they are dead?

WhiteWhale 04-09-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10551836)
The timing is what is bizarre. How is it NOT bizarre to see someone on TV one night, showing no evident signs of poor health, and the next night they are dead?

Yeah, the timing was bizarre. I suppose I meant the bigger picture aspect of him having a massive heart attack at 54. Dropping dead the day after RAW was kind of a wtf moment when I saw it.

I suppose he didn't look that great for a 54 year old man though. I mean my dad is over 60 and he looks much better than Warrior did on Monday.

mcaj22 04-09-2014 05:18 PM

I cant believe the WWE signed Roidman Merriman

of all douchers to sign. I wish CM Punk would come back and literally fight him.

keg in kc 04-09-2014 05:23 PM

I think they had just signed him to a legends ambassador deal, too, or whatever it's called. He was going to be one of their main public faces, along the lines of how they used to use Mick Foley.

Just bizarre. And sad.

mcaj22 04-09-2014 05:27 PM

for those that have the network:

WWE announced that they will be honoring the career of The Ultimate Warrior on the WWE Network tonight:

WWE honors the legacy and legend of the late Ultimate Warrior tonight, beginning at 8 p.m. ET on WWE Network.

WWE fans will be able to watch highlights from Warrior's historic induction into the WWE Hall of Fame, plus his emotional return to Monday Night Raw. Then, immediately after, the WWE Universe is invited to watch one of Ultimate Warrior's greatest matches against Hulk Hogan when WWE Network airs WrestleMania VI in its entirety.

Sfeihc 04-09-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10551849)
I cant believe the WWE signed Roidman Merriman

of all douchers to sign. I wish CM Punk would come back and literally fight him.

I hope all of them work stiff with him to make that bastard pay for what he did to Priest.

mrroandrro 04-09-2014 05:38 PM

Does anyone have a link to the video where Bobby Herman, Edge, and Christian and others talk about the Warrior's funny promos?? Can't find that thing anywhere

Fairplay 04-09-2014 06:23 PM

The Shield is bad ass I like the tough look they lose a lot of matchs though.

Sassy Squatch 04-09-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10551956)

Wut?

Fairplay 04-09-2014 06:58 PM

Dan Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns

Google it

58kcfan89 04-09-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10551956)

Go look up Damien Sandow's record this year. Someone on another forum did & he's apparently 1-43 if you include records from house shows. His lone win came over Sin Cara on some Main Event show. Went from MITB winner last year to nothing in less than a year.

Sassy Squatch 04-09-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10552021)
Dan Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns

Google it

I know who they are. I don't remember them losing a lot at all.

Mother****erJones 04-09-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10551860)
I think they had just signed him to a legends ambassador deal, too, or whatever it's called. He was going to be one of their main public faces, along the lines of how they used to use Mick Foley.

Just bizarre. And sad.

Warrior?

rico 04-09-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 10551755)
Where?

Loras College in Dubuque, IA. It's D3. :) But hey, it's a pretty respectable D3 program. My younger brother wrestled D1 at Northern Iowa. I have a brother who is a Sophomore and one who is an 8th grader...at the rate they are at, I am speculating that the current Sophomore will probably wrestle Juco (cheaper...not going to make the financial mistake his oldest bro made) and the younger one has the athleticism and skill to potentially be D1 someday...

Fairplay 04-09-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 10552083)
I know who they are. I don't remember them losing a lot at all.

I guess its only when I watch them I only catch half the shows on tv at best.

keg in kc 04-09-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10552135)
Warrior?

Yeah, warrior.

burt 04-10-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10552285)
Loras College in Dubuque, IA. It's D3. :) But hey, it's a pretty respectable D3 program. My younger brother wrestled D1 at Northern Iowa. I have a brother who is a Sophomore and one who is an 8th grader...at the rate they are at, I am speculating that the current Sophomore will probably wrestle Juco (cheaper...not going to make the financial mistake his oldest bro made) and the younger one has the athleticism and skill to potentially be D1 someday...

I wrestled @ UCM. But only 4 matches before breaking my leg in 2 places on the mat. 6 weeks in a cast(guess I did a great job). And I think "Rasslin" is mindless dither, but with awesome athletes. But to each their own...hell, I watch "Swamp People"..

On a sad commentary about our sport.. I went to a double dual this year. And at 53 years old, my stance is better than 90% of the participants....

rico 04-10-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 10552922)
I wrestled @ UCM. But only 4 matches before breaking my leg in 2 places on the mat. 6 weeks in a cast(guess I did a great job). And I think "Rasslin" is mindless dither, but with awesome athletes. But to each their own...hell, I watch "Swamp People"..

On a sad commentary about our sport.. I went to a double dual this year. And at 53 years old, my stance is better than 90% of the participants....

That's pretty cool, man! Central Missouri? They have or have had a pretty respectable wrestling program, haven't they? That sucks about your leg. I bet you've had your "what if" moments because of it... I know I would.

Was the double dual in the KC region? That stinks that the kids you watched were apparently jabronified to the point where they don't even know how to get into a proper stance. The KC region produces some FANTASTIC wrestlers. I've seen them at the Park Hill Duals. My 8th grade bro finished the season with an excellent record of 72-3. One of his 3 losses was an OT loss at the Park Hill Duals against a kid named Jake Beason. KC is 6 or so hours away from where we live and we travel as far as Pennsylvania/Tulsa/Reno to find competition for him. Some of the best kids I've seen are at the Park Hill Duals.

burt 04-10-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10553172)
That's pretty cool, man! Central Missouri? They have or have had a pretty respectable wrestling program, haven't they? That sucks about your leg. I bet you've had your "what if" moments because of it... I know I would.

Was the double dual in the KC region? That stinks that the kids you watched were apparently jabronified to the point where they don't even know how to get into a proper stance. The KC region produces some FANTASTIC wrestlers. I've seen them at the Park Hill Duals. My 8th grade bro finished the season with an excellent record of 72-3. One of his 3 losses was an OT loss at the Park Hill Duals against a kid named Jake Beason. KC is 6 or so hours away from where we live and we travel as far as Pennsylvania/Tulsa/Reno to find competition for him. Some of the best kids I've seen are at the Park Hill Duals.

One of my wrestling friends back then, became Coach at Oak Park, now at Staley. He is an excellent cpach and took Oak Park to national recognition. If they didn't take every wrestler to state...it was a failure. But it all starts at the kid wrestling level.

And please, let's NOT go to what if......

Reaper16 04-14-2014 08:35 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...14158951_n.jpg

I BOLIEVE...do you?

New World Order 04-14-2014 08:38 PM

Can we just talk about The Attitude Era?

Reaper16 04-14-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10563014)
Can we just talk about The Attitude Era?

Can we talk about your blindness?

New World Order 04-14-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10563015)
Can we talk about your blindness?

Do you honestly still like wrestling? It's ****ing awful now.

Reaper16 04-14-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10563016)
Do you honestly still like wrestling? It's ****ing awful now.

It's the very best it has been since the Attitude Era. And the talent in the ring is no worse than AS GOOD as it was in that era.

New World Order 04-14-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10563019)
It's the very best it has been since the Attitude Era. And the talent in the ring is no worse than AS GOOD as it was in that era.

How about we discuss talent in general:

The Rock, Stone Cold, Prime Undertaker, Masked Kane etc..

vs

Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, John Cena, 45 year old Undertaker

Honestly, who wins? There is a reason why television ratings in the late 90's were 7-8 vs. what we have now:

"The final rating came in at a 3.7, meaning WWE has had its most successful Raw since the 1,000th special episode on July 23rd 2012."

I'm not knocking you, I just wish the product was better.

Al Bundy 04-14-2014 09:08 PM

Yeah HHH had to put himself over.

Sassy Squatch 04-14-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 10563072)
Yeah HHH had to put himself over.

What?

Al Bundy 04-14-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 10563076)
What?

HHH made himself the "star of the show" again.

chiefscafan 04-14-2014 09:21 PM

Yep I called it last week it's his ego taking over again if he makes himself champ again

Reaper16 04-14-2014 09:39 PM

He's the main heel of the show, you guys. He's not HHH circa-2001 burying the roster. He's doing his job, which is to GET HEAT.

Reaper16 04-14-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10563030)

vs

Honestly, who wins? There is a reason why television ratings in the late 90's were 7-8 vs. what we have now:

"The final rating came in at a 3.7, meaning WWE has had its most successful Raw since the 1,000th special episode on July 23rd 2012."

The Rock & Stone Cold are two of the most exciting promos in history, and they came alive during a sea change in what was possible in the industry. Right talent during the right time.

My argument was in-the-ring, though. I agree that the current roster doesn't have the personalities that the Attitude Era had, but the in-ring talent is extraordinary. Your comparisons were disingenuous (chiefly implying that old-ass 'Taker is a cornerstone of the product), but Daniel Bryan, since you mentioned him, is far more talented in the ring than any of the Attitude Era wrestlers you named.

Go back and watch some Attitude Era episodes of Raw. The mid- and lower-cards are not exactly stocked with talent. Goofy gimmicks, yes. But not nearly the talent that even jobbers today have. Bryan, Cena (you heard me), Wyatt, Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Harper, CESARO, Sheamus, Del Rio, Henry, Big E, Paige, Summer Rae, Emma, AJ, and on and on and on and I could go on forever about the top-level workers this company has right now. It is SO stacked.

I don't know what you want out of a wrestling program that WWE isn't able to provide you on any given night.

ILChief 04-15-2014 05:24 AM

The burying of Ziggler continues. WTF

otherstar 04-15-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10563137)
The Rock & Stone Cold are two of the most exciting promos in history, and they came alive during a sea change in what was possible in the industry. Right talent during the right time.

My argument was in-the-ring, though. I agree that the current roster doesn't have the personalities that the Attitude Era had, but the in-ring talent is extraordinary. Your comparisons were disingenuous (chiefly implying that old-ass 'Taker is a cornerstone of the product), but Daniel Bryan, since you mentioned him, is far more talented in the ring than any of the Attitude Era wrestlers you named.

Go back and watch some Attitude Era episodes of Raw. The mid- and lower-cards are not exactly stocked with talent. Goofy gimmicks, yes. But not nearly the talent that even jobbers today have. Bryan, Cena (you heard me), Wyatt, Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Harper, CESARO, Sheamus, Del Rio, Henry, Big E, Paige, Summer Rae, Emma, AJ, and on and on and on and I could go on forever about the top-level workers this company has right now. It is SO stacked.

I don't know what you want out of a wrestling program that WWE isn't able to provide you on any given night.

This! The Attitude Era was about promos and personality with in-ring work taking a backseat (with the exception of a few guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels--the Rock and Stone Cold have great mic skills and good gimmicks, but are very limited in the ring). A good part of what made the WCW beat the WWE for so long in the Monday Night Wars was their good storylines (early NWO, etc.) and great in-ring work from top to bottom. What killed WCW was when the egos of the top stars got in the way and the younger talent was getting buried so they all left for the WWE. HHH, Jericho, and Stone Cold all started out in WCW---and later stars like King Booker, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero were all WCW stars too (though Benoit really belongs in the same class as Jericho, but he did win the WCW title right before he left the company).

Swanman 04-15-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10563030)

vs

Ratings are not a good comparison. Nowadays you have dvr's, lots more channels and a boatload of other streaming options. Live tv is almost obsolete except for sporting events. It's like saying the Seinfeld ratings sucked compared to the MASH ratings. Two totally different eras.

mcaj22 04-15-2014 12:51 PM

The fact that they are bringing back Evolution shows how weak the roster is. There are no true villains or bad guys left in the WWE. You can't find a good heel anymore, it's become "cool" to like the bad guy. the Shield, the Wyatts, these guys get cheers when they fight any face where it's bad for business to the point where the WWE has to make them face with no choice in the matter. The Wyatts gimmick is losing it's character because they are cheered as good guys over the #1 guy in the company.

If they wanted a heat magnet or a true bad guy they would make Cena heel.

Even pairing Cesaro with Heyman and Cesaro is still pleasing and waving to the ****ing fans to big pops. It makes NO SENSE.

CoMoChief 04-15-2014 01:13 PM

The reason why the attitude era was so awesome was because they had to step out of their boundaries to compete w/ Bischoff and the WCW, whom for a long time, was kicking the WWF's ass in ratings.

The worst thing to happen to WWE was when Vince bought out his competition, and the WWE got too big for their own good and the product started to become stale, and the show suffered because of it. They got complacent within the past 10 yrs because there's nothing that can compete with it...not even close...WWE is like the MLB NBA and NFL...it's the top dog league in it's own profession/sport. So what's there to worry about when you have no competition?

This is when the problem started. Combine that w/ shitty writers, Vince's terrible decisions and stubbornness over the past decade, and sub-par talent/charisma/no huge superstar appeal. This past generation has zero talent...no matter how hard WWE tried to shove Cena down everyone's throats...he's no Hogan, Rock or Austin. And when it comes to actual talent (and not based on how the company/pushes uses the character), I'd say Cena is a tier 3 talent. So in a sense (at least IMO) WWE is trying to use a tier 3 talent, and they're trying to hitch the company horse to that wagon...and what you get is a stale rinse wash repeat product.

Combine that w/ a PG rating show and you take out all of the crazy beer drinkin ass kicking blood and the tits and ass, and you get shitty program no one wants to watch. The people that liked and watched the attitude era have gone to watching the UFC now.

Reaper16 04-15-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10563988)
The reason why the attitude era was so awesome was because they had to step out of their boundaries to compete w/ Bischoff and the WCW, whom for a long time, was kicking the WWF's ass in ratings.

The worst thing to happen to WWE was when Vince bought out his competition, and the WWE got too big for their own good and the product started to become stale, and the show suffered because of it. They got complacent within the past 10 yrs because there's nothing that can compete with it...not even close...WWE is like the MLB NBA and NFL...it's the top dog league in it's own profession/sport. So what's there to worry about when you have no competition?

This is when the problem started. Combine that w/ shitty writers, Vince's terrible decisions and stubbornness over the past decade, and sub-par talent/charisma/no huge superstar appeal. This past generation has zero talent...no matter how hard WWE tried to shove Cena down everyone's throats...he's no Hogan, Rock or Austin. And when it comes to actual talent (and not based on how the company/pushes uses the character), I'd say Cena is a tier 3 talent. So in a sense (at least IMO) WWE is trying to use a tier 3 talent, and they're trying to hitch the company horse to that wagon...and what you get is a stale rinse wash repeat product.

Combine that w/ a PG rating show and you take out all of the crazy beer drinkin ass kicking blood and the tits and ass, and you get shitty program no one wants to watch. The people that liked and watched the attitude era have gone to watching the UFC now.

UFC doesn't have the kind of t&a that Attitude Era WWE had (thank god; that sexism is so ****ing boring looking back as someone who is no longer a hormonal teen). Beer drinking? Absent. Ass kicking? Sometimes. Seems to me UFC only reliably offers entertainment for fans of the sport itself. Similarly, WWE offers a lot to fans of pro wrestling itself. It's re-discovering tag teams &, importantly, managers. The match quality is INSANE.