ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Gary Oldman Leads Human Resistance In ‘Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes’ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270579)

Sure-Oz 07-10-2014 02:24 PM

95% on RT can't wait.

Anyong Bluth 07-10-2014 05:56 PM

Got a prime center reserved premium seat for the 10:30 show tonight at the ICON with Atmos.

It's bittersweet in a way because the buildup has left me somewhat capricious...
probably the movie I've been most keen upon seeing over the last year or so.

keg in kc 07-10-2014 11:08 PM

Just saw it. Good movie.

Anyong Bluth 07-10-2014 11:43 PM

Awesome dope titties fantastic

Tribal Warfare 07-10-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10740867)
Just saw it. Good movie.

Spoiler!

Lzen 07-11-2014 03:20 PM

Got tix to the 7pm showing tonight. Can't wait.

Anyong Bluth 07-11-2014 06:10 PM

Sirkis and the rest of the motion capture / digital effects team should win an Oscar or some other awards. The Apes are surreally so well done and realistic!

KcMizzou 07-11-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10740890)
Awesome dope titties fantastic

That's quite a review!

Lzen 07-12-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10742104)
That's quite a review!

Ha ha. Assuming he meant ape titties. Kind of in a national geographic way.

ThaVirus 07-12-2014 06:34 PM

I thought it was good but for some reason wasn't 100% satisfied. I can't put my finger on it but I guess I feel it could have been a bit better.

We know how it ends up but where do they go from here?

Tribal Warfare 07-12-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10743701)
I thought it was good but for some reason wasn't 100% satisfied. I can't put my finger on it but I guess I feel it could have been a bit better.

Spoiler!

ThaVirus 07-12-2014 07:37 PM

And?

Tribal Warfare 07-12-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10743767)
And?

Then the details is hashed out from that concept in the writing of the script.

keg in kc 07-12-2014 11:24 PM

Maybe more immediate than that.
Spoiler!

Tribal Warfare 07-12-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10744013)
Maybe more immediate than that.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

ThaVirus 07-13-2014 01:14 AM

Gary Oldman Leads Human Resistance In ‘Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes’

When will they start to shift their focus from the apes to the humans, I wonder?

I'm guessing they won't do that until Ceasar is dead.

frankotank 07-14-2014 01:56 PM

saw it Saturday. I liked it. very cool movie.

question - if it was said...I missed it.... did they ever tell us the names of his sons? I was wondering if Cornelius is one of them.

KC native 07-14-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

This is how I felt. My buddy and I (we both loved the first one) thought this one was lacking something. I felt like it was a 2 hour trailer for a 3rd movie. Caesar's character development was the highlight though.

ThaVirus 07-14-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10746320)
This is how I felt. My buddy and I (we both loved the first one) thought this one was lacking something. I felt like it was a 2 hour trailer for a 3rd movie. Caesar's character development was the highlight though.

I agree.

Spoiler!

Anyong Bluth 07-14-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10746467)
I agree.

Spoiler!

I can see that and the high reviews probably set pretty lofty expectations.

Sure-Oz 07-14-2014 06:59 PM

Saw this earlier...really enjoyed it. Solid Depth, and I'm looking forward to more.

Sure-Oz 07-14-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10742045)
Sirkis and the rest of the motion capture / digital effects team should win an Oscar or some other awards. The Apes are surreally so well done and realistic!

It was pretty amazing to watch, hell of a job.

Lzen 07-15-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

I kind of agree with this. Still a great movie, though.

keg in kc 07-15-2014 04:49 PM

Some info on the plans going forward:
Quote:

Planet Of The Apes Director Reveals What's Next For The Apes

Meredith Woerner
io9.com
Today 12:20pm

The movie sets Caesar up as a God. Is this the beginning of the ape religion that we see in later films? How much will his godlike status effect the next movie?

Matt Reeves: That's definitely going to be an aspect of the story. He becomes a very mythic character. And he's the Caesar that shall begin other Caesars. Given that we know the ending of the story and we know that Caesar has these ties to humans and to apes, and that everything gets really turned upside down by the world of the '68 film…

The question is how do we get there? And this then becomes a generational story. A story of not only Caesar and his family, but his children and how this story continues down that path. How Caesar becomes the first, truly mythic god-like character for the apes. He's very seminal figure for the apes. The idea, the objective for the story was to being the beginning of that mythic status for him. He goes from being a kind of revolutionary to a kind of leader to a mythic god.

This is the movie that starts the Ape Vs. Human war. Caesar says that himself. It's their shot heard 'round the world, but a building blows up instead. So what's the next step for ape culture?

There's an important moment in the movie where Caesar admits that as much as he felt he was human, and as much as he felt that [James] Franco was his father and he had this connection to humans, in discovering what he was and returning to being an ape and freeing those apes from their bondage and beginning a civilization together — fulfilling that family in a way that he never really quite had when he was young — he really came to believe that apes were better than humans. And would not suffer a similar fate.

The big revelation for him in a very "through the looking glass" science fiction way was just how human the apes are. They came to realize what their limitations where their failing their ability to lose control. To sort of lose their ability to resist violence.. Caesar's constantly struggling against his violent impulses.

Now we start to go into this place where self preservation starts to be the order of the day. He knows there's no going back and explaining, "the apes didn't really mean to attack the humans, they were misled by a rogue ape." That's not something you can really explain to a society. And he realizes that now he has to grapple with the reality. He's got pulls in both worlds, this is going to be a very painful journey for him, and for the apes.

Deberg_1990 07-15-2014 07:48 PM

Not sure how many movies this series will go.........but it would be cool if it ended where the original Charlton Heston film began. With the astronauts crash landing thousands of years in the future. (unbeknownst to them )

Anyong Bluth 07-15-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10748580)
Not sure how many movies this series will go.........but it would be cool if it ended where the original Charlton Heston film began. With the astronauts crash landing thousands of years in the future. (unbeknownst to them )

... or they have to travel back in time and kill Tim Burton before he's able to make his early 2000's version, and dooming humanity to an entire decade of wait before the worthy reboot can be made.

unlurking 07-15-2014 09:14 PM

Haven't seen this one yet (this weekend hopefully), but for future movies we need some nuclear strikes to create the Forbidden Zone! I'm guessing a last ditch effort before total collapse of human civilization in the next movie?

unlurking 07-15-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10748726)
... or they have to travel back in time and kill Tim Burton before he's able to make his early 2000's version, and dooming humanity to an entire decade of wait before the worthy reboot can be made.

I've never heard of such an atrocity being committed. Next you'll be telling me it had Marky Mark and completely shat on the origin story. There are the original films, and then Rise and Dawn. Nothing between.

Anyong Bluth 07-15-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10748750)
I've never heard of such an atrocity being committed. Next you'll be telling me it had Marky Mark and completely shat on the origin story. There are the original films, and then Rise and Dawn. Nothing between.

If you haven't, well, you should:

Honest Trailers - Planet of the Apes (2001): http://youtu.be/4US0Fjr4Rb8

If you've read this far you're already ****ing up and behind, because you should have gone to the link above, watching the video, and totally not even have read this far. Or, anything else past the link until you've watched the entire clip.

... seriously, stop reading.

Anyong Bluth 07-15-2014 10:00 PM

For real, the last post wasn't merely just some suggestion.

ThaVirus 07-15-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10748726)

LMAO

I liked the Marky Mark Apes flick. I haven't seen it since I was about 12 years old though...

Sure-Oz 07-15-2014 10:26 PM

That honest trailer was perfect.

KCwolf 07-15-2014 10:44 PM

Saw it today ... Liked it ... maybe 1/2 pt lower than the 1st one ... but worth a look.

unlurking 07-16-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10748858)
If you haven't, well, you should:

Honest Trailers - Planet of the Apes (2001): http://youtu.be/4US0Fjr4Rb8

If you've read this far you're already ****ing up and behind, because you should have gone to the link above, watching the video, and totally not even have read this far. Or, anything else past the link until you've watched the entire clip.

... seriously, stop reading.

The re-dubs at the end are awesome...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VRrqR9s4zlY?list=UUYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tribal Warfare 11-21-2014 11:41 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yYVmI6p_3Tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>