ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King: You have to go back to 1997 to find a draft like this one (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270181)

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415416)
Yeah, what about Josh Freeman? ***** failed, hardcore. If he had any idea that Matt Cassel was shitty, he would NEVER have given him 60m.

You are such a shitty homer.

And "looking back" at least Mark Sanchez won playoff games. Matt never came close.

Wrong again, homer.

This is like saying 3-4 years from now Tyler Bray ended up being the best QB in the 2013 draft, therefore Dorsey is an idiot for choosing Alex Smith over Geno Smith.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9415432)
So based on the bolded, we shouldn't take a chance on a quarterback in the first, in your opinion. We don't know if Joeckel is going to be worth a shit, either. Nor Star Loutelil(?), or Milliner, or Moore, or *insert name here*.

We should just miss our alotted time to pick every round becasue we just don't know if any of the guys we take will be any good. Just sit back and let the feeding frenzy commence every time we skip a pick.

You sound like 80% of the idiots that call into local radio talk shows in KC, jAZ. It really is like the fans of this team have been programmed to just play it safe and not take chances.

This team needs a quarterback, period. We NEED to have our OWN quarterback. We have now gone through two and a half full decades of trying to win with some other teams' castoffs, and what has it gotten us? Three playoff wins in twenty five years of trying it with "proven vets". If Joe ****ing Montana couldn't put us over the hump, what in the name of all that is holy would make you think Alex Smith can?

This team, right now, is BUILT for a Geno Smith. This kid can come in and make a difference, ESPECIALLY with Andy Reid guiding the way for him.

This is a terrible post.

My move it to trust the professionals and not take myself too seriously.

But to stay on your point, I will admit that one flaw in my approach would emerge if the professionals thought it best to skip their pick entirely. I'll say now that I would stand corrected in that case.

mr. tegu 02-19-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony77 (Post 9415412)
Smith only played 1 yr in the big 12

If you have a point feel free to make it. RG3 earned his draft spot based on his senior year, not the prior years. Geno should be held no different in that regard.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415435)
This is like saying 3-4 years from now Tyler Bray ended up being the best QB in the 2013 draft, therefore Dorsey is an idiot for choosing Alex Smith over Geno Smith.

I don't care what it's "like saying."

Trading for Matt Cassel was, is, and always will be ****ing stupid.

Pioli did it for the same reasons he didn't re-sign Kyle Orton. He's a ****ing DUMB ASS.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415425)
FYI, I haven't posted 50 times in DC in in the last 3 years.

As for scouting, you are just wrong. It's *possible* that the difference between the top 5 QB's is marginal. And if you grade all of them as 2nd round players, then you are a terrible fool if you take one of them over an alternative player who you rate as the #1 overall player when you could get your #4 and #5 QB with your second pick.

Scouting that matters deeply.

Cool. That doesn't change the fact that you're an informed person when it comes to politics. I also suspect you felt that way about the last two Republican candidates. The point is, if you're going to be more impulsive about picking the president than you are about picking your favorite team's QB, I don't know what to tell you. Again, I'm not saying that voting strategy isn't legit. It is absolutely a rational reason for voting that way. And if it applies to the goddamned president, it should apply to something measly like the Chiefs QB.

And here we go again. You're using "ifs" to lend credence to your argument that drafting a QB might not be the best thing. However, those ifs are very unlikely. There IS a first round QB in this draft. I believe there are multiple, in fact, as do many draft analysts. Secondly, it's one thing to have a #1 overall non-QB that you select with the top pick. It's quite another to be in this draft where there ISN'T THAT PLAYER AROUND.

And DON'T tell me that I don't know that. It's looking pretty ****ing grim right now. Even an explosion out of the combine likely won't change that.

If the top nonQB in this draft is worth a 10 or a 15 pick most years (which is the case except for the OTs) and the highest rated QB is a 20 or late 20, you take the goddamned QB. When people ask if you reached too hard, you say, "It was the best pick for the team."

Because guess what? IT WAS.

Bowser 02-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415441)
This is a terrible post.

My move it to trust the professionals and not take myself too seriously.

But to stay on your point, I will admit that one flaw in my approach would emerge if the professionals thought it best to skip their pick entirely. I'll say now that I would stand corrected in that case.

If your point is that you trust in Dorsey and Reid if they take another player than Geno, then I'm with you. I won't like it, but they will get the benefit of the doubt from me until they prove that they aren't worthy of that benefit.

If your point is that Geno looks to be too big of a risk to throw the first pick at, then my post is 100% accurate.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415433)
It's not a back-alley defense of Geno Smith but it absolutely is a visceral reaction.

I've lived through Steve Deberg, Dave Krieg, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and on and on all the way up to Cassel and Quinn.

The thought of bringing in ANOTHER cast-off from another team and hoping for the best just makes me want to puke.

You can sit here and make all the objective, stat-filled arguments you want. 25 years of Chiefs history tells me Alex Smith in KC is destined to fail.

Fair enough. But dammit, at some point we're going to roll 7s, I am firmly convinced of this.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415441)
My move it to trust the professionals

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

The Professionals...like Herm, Carl, Pioli, Haley, Gunther, Muir, Daboll....TRUST THEM ALL!!!

htismaqe 02-19-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415457)
Fair enough. But dammit, at some point we're going to roll 7s, I am firmly convinced of this.

Sorry, but I don't have 30 more years to wait. :D

patteeu 02-19-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9415432)
So based on the bolded, we shouldn't take a chance on a quarterback in the first, in your opinion. We don't know if Joeckel is going to be worth a shit, either. Nor Star Loutelil(?), or Milliner, or Moore, or *insert name here*.

We should just miss our alotted time to pick every round becasue we just don't know if any of the guys we take will be any good. Just sit back and let the feeding frenzy commence every time we skip a pick.

You sound like 80% of the idiots that call into local radio talk shows in KC, jAZ. It really is like the fans of this team have been programmed to just play it safe and not take chances.

This team needs a quarterback, period. We NEED to have our OWN quarterback. We have now gone through two and a half full decades of trying to win with some other teams' castoffs, and what has it gotten us? Three playoff wins in twenty five years of trying it with "proven vets". If Joe ****ing Montana couldn't put us over the hump, what in the name of all that is holy would make you think Alex Smith can?

This team, right now, is BUILT for a Geno Smith. This kid can come in and make a difference, ESPECIALLY with Andy Reid guiding the way for him.

The pro GENO-AT-ALL-COSTS crowd sure is logic challenged. Saying he doesn't know if Geno is the guy or not doesn't mean that Geno shouldn't be the pick. It also doesn't mean that jAZ thinks that he should know for sure about any particular player before that player becomes worthy of the 1st pick. Every post I read from Geno fanboys seems more facepalm-worthy than the last.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415457)

Maybe.

All I know if the Chiefs keep up with this horrid betting strategy on the dice table, then I'm going to go play blackjack.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9415456)
If your point is that you trust in Dorsey and Reid if they take another player than Geno, then I'm with you. I won't like it, but they will get the benefit of the doubt from me until they prove that they aren't worthy of that benefit.

If your point is that Geno looks to be too big of a risk to throw the first pick at, then my post is 100% accurate.

If you catch up on my posts (no need, but if you do), you'll see that I'm saying trust the professionals and not me or anyone else on here. Or anyone in the media for that matter. Trust he guys who coach the players, call the plays, run the drills, watch the scouting film over and over again.

Over time, they will know better what to do.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415461)
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

The Professionals...like Herm, Carl, *****, Haley, Gunther, Muir, Daboll....TRUST THEM ALL!!!

Trust them all over you. Yes.

Trust them all over the other professionals on the other 32 teams over the last decade? No.

Hope that's spelled out clearly enough for you.

Bowser 02-19-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9415471)
The pro GENO-AT-ALL-COSTS crowd sure is logic challenged. Saying he doesn't know if Geno is the guy or not doesn't mean that Geno shouldn't be the pick. It also doesn't mean that jAZ thinks that he should know for sure about any particular player before that player becomes worthy of the 1st pick. Every post I read from Geno fanboys seems more facepalm-worthy than the last.

In that case sell me on another player this team needs more than a Geno Smith. I promise I will keep an open mind to your takes.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

We should only ever talk here in the lounge.

Bowser 02-19-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415491)

It's like ****ing bizzaro world watching patteeu and jAZ agree on anything.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415480)
Trust them all over you. Yes.

Trust them all over the other professionals on the other 32 teams over the last decade? No.

Hope that's spelled out clearly enough for you.

Hey dipshit: I agreed with Scott ***** in 2009.

Don't trust EITHER of us.

But I was still smart enough to know this team wasn't doing shit last year under Matt Cassel. I'm not even smart. I just recognize failure.

bevischief 02-19-2013 11:41 AM

ROFL:popcorn:

patteeu 02-19-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9415483)
In that case sell me on another player this team needs more than a Geno Smith. I promise I will keep an open mind to your takes.

I'm not here to sell a particular player. I hope the Chiefs pick a QB (and that he ends up being the right one). But if they use a different approach, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

In that regard, I read your subsequent post to jAZ and see that you won't cry if the Chiefs pick someone other than Geno either, so I stand corrected on lumping you in with the fanboys.

patteeu 02-19-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415491)

Yes.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

It's the QB at all costs crowd.

I and many others are saying that there is a pretty clear and OBVIOUS direction this team should go at #1. It's far more obvious than the draft "experts" make it out to be given the surrounding talent at other positions at the top of this draft, among other reasons.

This really isn't a case where WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION is a valid rebuttal or disagreement. And if Reid or Dorsey deviate from that strategy and it grants us a subpar QB like Nassib, Dysert, or Jones in this draft, there's going to be hell to pay.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9415520)
there's going to be hell to pay.

But Nick Foles was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415502)
Hey dipshit: I agreed with Scott ***** in 2009.

Don't trust EITHER of us.

But I was still smart enough to know this team wasn't doing shit last year under Matt Cassel. I'm not even smart. I just recognize failure.

That's reasonable. Good for you.

beach tribe 02-19-2013 12:03 PM

Recently bought a Roku, and they have a CBS sports channel on it. The most recent clip on it was from Pat Kirwin. I don't know much about him, but he seems like the only journalist who makes ANY sense.
He says: Don't listen to any reports coming from anyone. When all is said and done, Geno will go #1, 2 QBs will go in the top 10, and there is no way a G will be taken in the top 10.
He made some other good points, and I think he's right. All these reports...all of them..are useless.

WildTurkey 02-19-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9415559)
Recently bought a Roku, and they have a CBS sports channel on it. The most recent clip on it was from Pat Kirwin. I don't know much about him, but he seems like the only journalist who makes ANY sense.
He says: Don't listen to any reports coming from anyone. When all is said and done, Geno will go #1, 2 QBs will go in the top 10, and there is no way a G will be taken in the top 10.
He made some other good points, and I think he's right. All these reports...all of them..are useless.

He's a former NFL scout and Front office guy. He generally knows what he's talking about

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Can you screen capture or record audio?

Bowser 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

He has has a show on NFL Radio on Sirius/XM that he does Tim Ryan called Movin' the Chains. Generally it's one of the best football shows you'll ever listen to.

tooge 02-19-2013 12:10 PM

I can't wait for the damned draft so this speculation can be over and we can talk in realities of what we have.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9415570)
I can't wait for the damned draft so this speculation can be over and we can talk in realities of what we have.

I'm about to that point too.

tooge 02-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415235)
I think the Chiefs will win because Andy Reid has a long history of doing it.

And in particular, he has a long history of finding lesser known QB's that he plugs into his system to significant success. So much so, that he sells them off to the highest bidder. I love that. That plays in our favor.

It also tips the scales toward taking BPA, not QB with our #1. And if that doesn't work out this year, the odds are that in a few years, it will work out.

If AR wants Alex Smith over Geno Smith, then I'd be pretty excited to have Alex Smith playing in this system under this coach.

Now if AR wants Geno Smith over all other options, then I'll be just as excited to have him playing in this system under this coach.

Andy Reid did all of his significant winning with a quarterback he selected high in the first round of the draft. The rest haven't done jack shit for him.

Putting much stock into what fans want is just silly.

Andy Reid did all his significant winning with a quarterback he took high in the first round. the rest of them didn't win jack shit for him.

BigCatDaddy 02-19-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9415570)

I fully speculate that we will trade back to pick 4 while aquiring 4 1st round picks take Joekill, move Albert to guard and then get Geno at the top of the 2nd. Then trade a future 1st for Alex Smith to be our backup.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:28 PM

The top QB prospect that year Jim Drunkenmiller.

He threw 31 TDs in college. LMAO

And somehow he's compared to Geno?

Hell, there are like 4 guys who are better QB prospects this year.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9415602)
I fully speculate that we will trade back to pick 4 while aquiring 4 1st round picks take Joekill, move Albert to guard and then get Geno at the top of the 2nd. Then trade a future 1st for Alex Smith to be our backup.

Holy shit. That's like Dream Scenario #1. ROFL

Bowser 02-19-2013 12:33 PM

I say we do a reverse draft this year. Take seventh round talent in the first, sixth in the second, and so on!

ptlyon 02-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9415602)

Nice thought. But unfortunately no nfl team is stupid enough to believe these jackasses that none of the qbs in the draft aren't worth taking in the 1st round. They will all be scooped up. If kc misses the boat then they were just stupid.

jAZ 02-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9415562)
He's a former NFL scout and Front office guy. He generally knows what he's talking about

I heard a guy (don't recall his name) from Ourlads on the radio the other day saying that he had Geno Smith #1 on his board.

Edit: I'm sure others have already seen it, but anyway...
http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/

DeezNutz 02-19-2013 12:36 PM

In Teicher's latest mock, that stupid mother****er actually wrote "better safe than sorry" as a part of his justification for drafting a DT 1/1.

That's how ****ing stupid he is. As if someone who follows the Chiefs closely, allegedly, shouldn't know that there's nothing "safe" about drafting any player, much less a defensive lineman.

Why couldn't this ****ing moron have recently been vacationing in the Ural Mountains?

beach tribe 02-19-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415565)
Can you screen capture or record audio?

Just got over a HD failure with no sys image.
Have my programs backed up, but won't have my software back up for cpl weeks. Ive just been using my laptop.

jAZ 02-19-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9415587)
Andy Reid did all his significant winning with a quarterback he took high in the first round. the rest of them didn't win jack shit for him.

Not entirely true, but yes Andy Reid does no how to draft and develop a franchise QB. Like I said, I'll let him do his thing what ever it is.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:38 PM

Throw Camtasia Studio on it and grab the footage man. Trial version is free.

We would all appreciate it.

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415605)
The top QB prospect that year Jim Drunkenmiller.

He threw 31 TDs in college. LMAO

And somehow he's compared to Geno?

Hell, there are like 4 guys who are better QB prospects this year.

useless info...but interesting..

the top Qbs taken that year turned out to be Jake Plummer 2nd, Jake Delhomme and Jon Kitna undrafted...

The Chiefs took Pat Barnes in the 4th. ROFL

Bowser 02-19-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9415630)
In Teicher's latest mock, that stupid mother****er actually wrote "better safe than sorry" as a part of his justification for drafting a DT 1/1.

That's how ****ing stupid he is. As if someone who follows the Chiefs closely, allegedly, shouldn't know that there's nothing "safe" about drafting any player, much less a defensive lineman.

Why couldn't this ****ing moron have recently been vacationing in the Ural Mountains?

http://bottledgoose.net/gifs/dw_wth.gif

buddha 02-19-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9415619)
I say we do a reverse draft this year. Take seventh round talent in the first, sixth in the second, and so on!

We've already tried that...the problem is that we stop at fourth round talent and go down again.

Andy Reid is NOT going to stiff us with another terrible QB, either through the draft or through free agency. Dude is silly smart...he really is. He used to be my brother's coach in college. He is also really cagey. I think Jaz's comments about trusting THIS particular guy are spot on. There are plenty of "professionals" who should have never been trusted in the past, but that's all in the past.

BigCatDaddy 02-19-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9415625)
Nice thought. But unfortunately no nfl team is stupid enough to believe these jackasses that none of the qbs in the draft aren't worth taking in the 1st round. They will all be scooped up. If kc misses the boat then they were just stupid.

Sarcasm meter...

RealSNR 02-19-2013 12:40 PM

I thought you all should know that Knowmo is slightly cheating on his self-imposed bet ban. He sent me a rep message with a tweet from some guy that said if the draft were this year, Brock Osweiler would be a first round pick, and possibly the first QB taken or some shit like that.

That's bullshit. Geno, Barkley, and Glennon have nearly twice the starting experience in college that Tannehill and Osweiler did. If Osweiler would have been the top QB this year it's because he played like it, not because he's a tall ****er who could be the best QB ever if he could ever learn how to throw the ball correctly, dang it.

It's takes like that that make my blood boil. If this were 2012, Geno and Barkley are the 3rd and 4th QBs taken before Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler. To say otherwise that those guys without the starting experience nor the flashy stats would be ahead of 2013's QBs is an atrocious lie.

That's why posters like jAz are posting some stupid crap, because they say, "How can we know if these guys are any good? All the draft experts claim the QBs are terrible." It compares these QBs at the top to 2012's QBs at the top without looking at the rest of the class.

Bowser 02-19-2013 12:41 PM

Between Athan and Teicher, the Chiefs have been set back 40 years.

ChiefsCountry 02-19-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415409)
Looking back, they had the same success. And as a result, Matt Cassel was factually a better investment even looking back.

4 playoff wins and two AFC Championship apperances say you are wrong like always.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 9415641)
There are plenty of "professionals" who should have never been trusted in the past, but that's all in the past.

I'd absolutely LOVE to believe that.

But there's been too much failure, for too long.

Andy Reid is going to have to prove it to me.

The Franchise 02-19-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415626)
I heard a guy (don't recall his name) from Ourlads on the radio the other day saying that he had Geno Smith #1 on his board.

Edit: I'm sure others have already seen it, but anyway...
http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/

The only part of that mock that I question is Joeckel to the Jags at #2.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 9415641)
Dude is silly smart...he really is. He used to be my brother's coach in college. He is also really cagey.

At Missouri?

But anyway, I don't really care.

Bill Parcells is "smart." He thought it was a good idea to pick Chad Henne instead of Matt Ryan.

jAZ 02-19-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9415645)
I thought you all should know that Knowmo is slightly cheating on his self-imposed bet ban. He sent me a rep message with a tweet from some guy that said if the draft were this year, Brock Osweiler would be a first round pick, and possibly the first QB taken or some shit like that.

That's bullshit. Geno, Barkley, and Glennon have nearly twice the starting experience in college that Tannehill and Osweiler did. If Osweiler would have been the top QB this year it's because he played like it, not because he's a tall ****er who could be the best QB ever if he could ever learn how to throw the ball correctly, dang it.

It's takes like that that make my blood boil. If this were 2012, Geno and Barkley are the 3rd and 4th QBs taken before Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler. To say otherwise that those guys without the starting experience nor the flashy stats would be ahead of 2013's QBs is an atrocious lie.

That's why posters like jAz are posting some stupid crap, because they say, "How can we know if these guys are any good? All the draft experts claim the QBs are terrible." It compares these QBs at the top to 2012's QBs at the top without looking at the rest of the class.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying "no one can *know*". So in the absence of a time machine, recognize that professionals have tools to make evaluations that none of us have. Don't take fandom-GM games very seriously.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415656)
Don't take fandom-GM games very seriously.

We don't play games anymore.

We got the last asshole fired.

We're a ****ing force to be reckoned with now.

tooge 02-19-2013 12:46 PM

Regarding Alex Smith, I see him as a Rich Gannon type. He flounders around for several years without success, then finally "gets it". About the time he "gets it", he's taken on by a young, motivated, innovative offensive mind that has an offense tailored exactly to his skills. He thrives in it. I don't want Alex Smith. I don't think hes the abortion of a qb that some here do. I think he could come here and have us winning 10 or 11 games with Andy Reid, and heck, maybe a playoff game or two. That isn't what I want though.

I want the upside of Geno Smith. I wanna see his spectacular accuracy deployed in Andy Reids west coast offense, where he should thrive. I want a higher ceiling than I feel we'd get with Alex Smith.

If it doesn't pan out? Well, at least they tried. Then you try again.

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415654)
Bill Parcells is "smart." He thought it was a good idea to pick Chad Henne instead of Matt Ryan.

but he did take Bledsoe over Roaf.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9415661)
Regarding Alex Smith, I see him as a Rich Gannon type. He flounders around for several years without success, then finally "gets it". About the time he "gets it", he's taken on by a young, motivated, innovative offensive mind that has an offense tailored exactly to his skills. He thrives in it. I don't want Alex Smith. I don't think hes the abortion of a qb that some here do. I think he could come here and have us winning 10 or 11 games with Andy Reid, and heck, maybe a playoff game or two. That isn't what I want though.

I want the upside of Geno Smith. I wanna see his spectacular accuracy deployed in Andy Reids west coast offense, where he should thrive. I want a higher ceiling than I feel we'd get with Alex Smith.

Great post.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9415664)

More importantly, he chose Bledsoe over Mirer.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9415664)

Drew Bledsoe was one of the greatest QB prospects ever. No one was gonna pass on him.

jAZ 02-19-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415657)
We don't play games anymore.

We got the last asshole fired.

We're a ****ing force to be reckoned with now.

We'll surely be f'ed by your lust for power.

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415675)
Drew Bledsoe was one of the greatest QB prospects ever. No one was gonna pass on him.

Yes this.

Actually the whole Long over Ryan thing proves the point of this:

Its better to take a B QB over an A lineman.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415689)
We'll surely be f'ed by your lust for power.

Paul Revere didn't want to be President.

cosmo20002 02-19-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9414891)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl.../?sct=uk_wr_a1

[B]The quarterbacks are a total mish-mosh at this point. One GM interested in acquiring a quarterback this offseason told me over the weekend, "I expect more attention on the quarterbacks throwing this year than on any other single thing at the Combine.'' Some think Geno Smith of West Virginia will go first overall to quarterback-needy Kansas City; one personnel man who studied all the top quarterbacks for a team in need of one last fall told me, "There's not one quarterback, including Smith, I would take in the first round."

What do you bet this personnel man represents a team drafting in middle position who is definitely going to take a QB in the first round?

htismaqe 02-19-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9415715)
What do you bet this personnel man represents a team drafting in middle position who is definitely going to take a QB in the first round?

Exactly.

HemiEd 02-19-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415239)
Alex Smith isn't winning shit.

Oh yeah? He could very well be the guy to get this team back to 10-6 and perpetual first round playoff losses!

Can you just imagine what it would be like to have a QB with the talent of Geno?

Most Chiefs fans are resigned to the fact that we don't deserve it, and must keep wearing the hand me down clothes.

HemiEd 02-19-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415308)
Shenanigans.

Alex Smith was a fumbling kick returner away from a SB in 2011. When he went down in 2012 he was leading the NFL in passer efficiency and got benched for a guy that was just a hell of a lot more dynamic than Alex. Y'know what? Kaepernick's a hell of a lot more dynamic than Geno is as well.

Give Smith a good team and he can get you to 12 wins. And yes, it's absolutely possible that he could get hot like Flacco and take a team to the SB - he should have in 2011.

I'm getting really tired of people that feel that have to slam Alex Smith to justify Geno Smith. All that does is diminish Geno. Alex Smith would be as good as Trent Green was in KC under Andy Reid, I honestly believe that. Geno has the upside to be the top 10 guy that Alex doesn't, but that doesn't mean Alex is crap.

Please refresh my memory, what did Trent Green win again?

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9415772)

With all due respect, I don't think there are very many QB's, living or dead, that could have won a playoff game with the Chiefs defense from 2001-2005.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415308)
Shenanigans.

Alex Smith was a fumbling kick returner away from a SB in 2011. When he went down in 2012 he was leading the NFL in passer efficiency and got benched for a guy that was just a hell of a lot more dynamic than Alex. Y'know what? Kaepernick's a hell of a lot more dynamic than Geno is as well.

Give Smith a good team and he can get you to 12 wins. And yes, it's absolutely possible that he could get hot like Flacco and take a team to the SB - he should have in 2011.

I'm getting really tired of people that feel that have to slam Alex Smith to justify Geno Smith. All that does is diminish Geno. Alex Smith would be as good as Trent Green was in KC under Andy Reid, I honestly believe that. Geno has the upside to be the top 10 guy that Alex doesn't, but that doesn't mean Alex is crap.

I agree 100%.

Unlike so many people, at this point in time, I'm advocate of the best possible QB option for the 2013 Chiefs season.

If that's Foles, or Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, Eugene Smith or Zac Dysert, whatever, I'm good with it.

Those people that state that Eugene Smith the ONLY answer are myopic fools.

Bump 02-19-2013 01:58 PM

**** that

HemiEd 02-19-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9415796)
With all due respect, I don't think there are very many QB's, living or dead, that could have won a playoff game with the Chiefs defense from 2001-2005.

Trent is like a fine wine. He is getting better with age. He was a great guy and there is no denying that, but he wasn't all that special of a QB. The running game behind that OL was the real strength.

I think back to the playoff game with Indy, where there were no punts. Obviously, the Indy Defense was not much better than the Chiefs, as an offensive pass interference call on Tony was the difference.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9415661)

I agree with everything you've said there. I'd rather have Geno as well.

But Alex is a nice player in his own right.

As to the Geno vs. Tannehill comps - Tannehill has more upside than Geno. Tannehill could be really really good. I still think he'd have been right up there with RGIII had he been a QB for his entire college career.

He has literally every tool you could ask for in a QB, he's taken well to coaching and he's shown consistent improvement every step of the way.

If Tannehill were in the draft, I might actually take him over Geno. Tannehill's upside is immense.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9415772)

Oh for ****s sake - that's the best you have?

You're right, it was Trent Green's fault we didn't win anything. It had nothing to do with the career day defense.

When people make shitty arguments, they detract from the good ones. Yours is one of the former.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9415813)
I agree 100%.

Unlike so many people, at this point in time, I'm advocate of the best possible QB option for the 2013 Chiefs season.

If that's Foles, or Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, Eugene Smith or Zac Dysert, whatever, I'm good with it.

Those people that state that Eugene Smith the ONLY answer are myopic fools.

Good thing that there's only like 1 or 2 of those people.

keg in kc 02-19-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415844)

As to the Geno vs. Tannehill comps - Tannehill has more upside than Geno. Tannehill could be really really good. I still think he'd have been right up there with RGIII had he been a QB for his entire college career.

He has literally every tool you could ask for in a QB, he's taken well to coaching and he's shown consistent improvement every step of the way.

If Tannehill were in the draft, I might actually take him over Geno. Tannehill's upside is immense.

Jesus, the tannehill crap never dies.

Ace Gunner 02-19-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9415876)
Jesus, the tannehill crap never dies.

I don't see the talent

patteeu 02-19-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9415520)
It's the QB at all costs crowd.

I and many others are saying that there is a pretty clear and OBVIOUS direction this team should go at #1. It's far more obvious than the draft "experts" make it out to be given the surrounding talent at other positions at the top of this draft, among other reasons.

This really isn't a case where WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION is a valid rebuttal or disagreement. And if Reid or Dorsey deviate from that strategy and it grants us a subpar QB like Nassib, Dysert, or Jones in this draft, there's going to be hell to pay.

"It's your opinion" isn't a rebuttal, but it is a fact.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415844)

I agree with you on a great many things. This isn't one of them.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 02:20 PM

I kinda hope Tannehill sucks a fat one and bombs out of the NFL. I wanted us to draft him last year, but since we didn't and that story came out about him not knowing the names of any NFL teams or where they belong in the divisions, I think he's a royal douche.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9415884)
"It's your opinion" isn't a rebuttal, but it is a fact.

Really? Whenever I post stuff about the non-QBs at the top of the 2013 class being garbage, I get met with "That's just your opinion" in response.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415886)
I agree with you on a great many things. This isn't one of them.

Eh, that's fine.

He may never develop enough touch to be among the best in the league. But his arm is on par with anyone this side of Stafford and Kaepernick and his athleticism is there with anybody's.

I'm not sure how anyone can say he'll never be a good decisionmaker; the kid has very little time under center and showed a lot of progress last year.

He's a massive boom/bust pick, but if the bust is what he did last year and the boom is essentially a more mobile, durable Matt Stafford, I don't see what there isn't to like about him.

keg in kc 02-19-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9415898)
Really? Whenever I post stuff about the non-QBs at the top of the 2013 class being garbage, I get met with "That's just your opinion" in response.

I like when they say "we shouldn't draft a QB just because it's a need" and then immediately follow that up with "we should draft joeckel or fisher to replace albert".

htismaqe 02-19-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9415901)
Eh, that's fine.

He may never develop enough touch to be among the best in the league. But his arm is on par with anyone this side of Stafford and Kaepernick and his athleticism is there with anybody's.

I'm not sure how anyone can say he'll never be a good decisionmaker; the kid has very little time under center and showed a lot of progress next year.

He's a massive boom/bust pick, but if the bust is what he did last year and the boom is essentially a more mobile, durable Matt Stafford, I don't see what there isn't to like about him.

That's totally fair.

I kind of see him in between. Kind of like Matt Ryan. Good enough to get you there every year but not really good enough to get you over the top.