ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life P90X - Does it Work? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269402)

Omaha 01-28-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9358783)
Right, that's why this country is the most obese on the planet. I know a lot of people who have completed "programs" or "diets" and 6 months later they are right back to where they are. What you are saying is doing nothing but proving my orgininal point is that it is a lifestyle change.

I never said people "never stick with it". Good for you and those who did this and moved onto other fitness activitives. You have embraced a lifestyle change which was my origninal point.

I'm not sure what you think a "lifestyle change" is, but why can't P90X (or any other workout) be that change? I'm not sure why you think this program is such a chore when you have never done it. Some people actually enjoy working out and look forward to it.

petegz28 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9358867)
I'm not sure what you think a "lifestyle change" is, but why can't P90X (or any other workout) be that change? I'm not sure why you think this program is such a chore when you have never done it. Some people actually enjoy working out and look forward to it.

I didn't say it couldn't be. JFC, what are you, 2?

Chiefnj2 01-28-2013 04:09 PM

I did p90x once for about 70 days and then I caught a stomach virus that knocked be for a loop for a few days and then I got sidetracked.

Yes it works. It works because (a) you are probably going from a sedentary lifestyle to working out hard for 60+ minutes and (b) you have to follow the diet advice for it to work well.

However, even if you did your own workout for 60-80 minutes a day and start to eat right, you'll get in shape and feel better. Just pick something you enjoy and stick with it.

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

I think I'll save $150, and just start throwing bags of shit at cops to get in my cardio.

petegz28 01-28-2013 04:33 PM

I'd also encourage you to look into juicing for a part of your diet. Especially if you are like me and aren't much of a veggies person. And after a week of proper juicing you will feel better overall. You will just feel "healthy" and like you have energy but in a good way, not like you just drank a pot of coffee.

MahiMike 01-28-2013 06:11 PM

I works but be careful. I blew out my rotator cuff and labrum. Had surgery 3 mos ago. My physical therapist said P90X and insanity workouts are great for business!

Brock 01-28-2013 06:14 PM

I bet it works pretty good. You gotta lift too, though, or you'll never get in fantastic shape.

petegz28 01-28-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9359333)
I bet it works pretty good. You gotta lift too, though, or you'll never get in fantastic shape.

I think lifting is underrated and gets a bad wrap, particularly for the weight loss crowd. Thus the constant flow of exercise programs that involve little to no lifting.

I know some people are intimidated by lifting. The see it as trying to get all bulked out and only for serious body builders when actually it helps burn fat tremendously in conjunction with cardio.

The Franchise 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

My one problem with the P90x program was that it was ****ing long as hell. On ab days....you were basically working out for like an hour and 20 minutes. Having three kids, a wife and a job....it was tough trying to fit in 1.5 hours for a workout.

Shit works your ass off though.

EdmontonChiefsFan 01-28-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9357992)
I also need to get a better understanding of a better diet. Something that is sustainable. Not one of those "Eat dirt and grapes for 5 months" etc. Just an overal approach to eating. I honestly have no idea. I've always been a meat and potatoes guy.

I'd say over the course of 6 months, I'd like to be able to lose about 30-40lbs; but I'm not sure if that's too unrealistic or not.

I'm not so much in a hurry to lose it, but just want to have some realistic goals to shoot for.

I don't know if anybody has recommended this to you or not, but you should look into the South Beach diet. You can read the book in a couple hours and then once you get the principles you don't need to go back to the book. It's a diet that's easy, it works and best of all it's a diet that you don't get sick of. I am not fat and never have been, but the rest of my family is pretty big. Everytime I hit over 210 pounds I go on a diet and drop down to 195 or so. I don't diet anymore, I just pretty much stick to the principles in South Beach and the weight doesn't come back.

GloryDayz 01-28-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9359432)
I think lifting is underrated and gets a bad wrap, particularly for the weight loss crowd. Thus the constant flow of exercise programs that involve little to no lifting.

I know some people are intimidated by lifting. The see it as trying to get all bulked out and only for serious body builders when actually it helps burn fat tremendously in conjunction with cardio.

This is so true... And it blows that people won't work through the first few weeks/month of lifting and find all it's value. Yes, I do my GD cardio to shut the Doc up, and hate every minute of it. But when it comes to the weights (less than it used to be), it's just a LOT more fun. The music playing is always a little more of a jam, and the feeling, at least for me, can't be beat.

So I'm not putting down the folks who live on the cardio gear, good for them, but for me I love the weights.

I'll end with this, find what you like and JUST DO IT... You may not end up with a 32-inch waist, but you might just love the burn. You may just like being able to make it through a boring conference call doing ground work.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-28-2013 07:23 PM

I did P90X six times a week, ate healthy, and had no dessert or soda for 90 days. I went from 190 to 170 and lost a ton of fat. Couldn't believe how fat I was in my before pictures afterward.

petegz28 01-28-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9359512)
This is so true... And it blows that people won't work through the first few weeks/month of lifting and find all it's value. Yes, I do my GD cardio to shut the Doc up, and hate every minute of it. But when it comes to the weights (less than it used to be), it's just a LOT more fun. The music playing is always a little more of a jam, and the feeling, at least for me, can't be beat.

So I'm not putting down the folks who live on the cardio gear, good for them, but for me I love the weights.

I'll end with this, find what you like and JUST DO IT... You may not end up with a 32-inch waist, but you might just love the burn. You may just like being able to make it through a boring conference call doing ground work.

Yep, gotta love the burn. And I agree about just find what you like and do it.

However, if one really wants to drop weight fast it's pretty easy; eat right and either run or swim. Seriously. Running will melt the fat off of a person provided they aren't replenishing it with a double whopper.

petegz28 01-28-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9359537)
I did P90X six times a week, ate healthy, and had no dessert or soda for 90 days. I went from 190 to 170 and lost a ton of fat. Couldn't believe how fat I was in my before pictures afterward.

I notice you said "did". What do you do now? I know it's hard for anyone to keep up a 6 day routine but some do. What have you moved onto?

hometeam 01-28-2013 09:28 PM

I think results speak for themselves.

It is HARD! I am on day 24, but can already do literally 3x as many pushups as when i started etc.

GloryDayz 01-28-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9359956)

However, if one really wants to drop weight fast it's pretty easy; eat right and either run or swim. Seriously. Running will melt the fat off of a person provided they aren't replenishing it with a double whopper.

Totally true about the running thing. I personally always found that runnng worked better than swimming, NOT because it is better, but it's simpler to find. How may people really have a pool at their disposal? I spent a lot of time in the water in the Navy (my ears DON'T thank me!) and water was obviously plentiful, but it's not really swimming.... What I did find was that when we weren't underway, I could always run. Sure, it's shit for the knees, but you can get it done pretty quickly too. You can run for 20-30 minutes and all but be done. If you're not getting enough to get it done in 30 minutes, run faster. If you can sprint for 30 minutes, you're in shape! :)

So yes, running regularly and eating right = not fat.... But boredom might kill you too! :)

Omaha 01-28-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9359956)

Weight training is actually more effective for losing weight. Old school thinking says running burns more calories, but that's not the end of the story. Lifting weights may burn fewer calories while you're in the gym, but it will cause you to burn more calories while you recover for up to 3 days.

petegz28 01-28-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9360122)
Weight training is actually more effective for losing weight. Old school thinking says running burns more calories, but that's not the end of the story. Lifting weights may burn fewer calories while you're in the gym, but it will cause you to burn more calories while you recover for up to 3 days.

While I agree with all of this I think you see results quicker from running, provided you run more than 1/4 mile at a time. Back when I was really into things I dropped my weight the fasted when I went to running after a workout. So, to each their own, I prefer a combo of cardio and strength training myself.

I will say, and I said this earlier, if you don't lift weights while doing a ton of cardio you most likely will burn muscle as well as fat unless you are just cramming tons of protein.

petegz28 01-28-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9359994)
Totally true about the running thing. I personally always found that runnng worked better than swimming, NOT because it is better, but it's simpler to find. How may people really have a pool at their disposal? I spent a lot of time in the water in the Navy (my ears DON'T thank me!) and water was obviously plentiful, but it's not really swimming.... What I did find was that when we weren't underway, I could always run. Sure, it's shit for the knees, but you can get it done pretty quickly too. You can run for 20-30 minutes and all but be done. If you're not getting enough to get it done in 30 minutes, run faster. If you can sprint for 30 minutes, you're in shape! :)

So yes, running regularly and eating right = not fat.... But boredom might kill you too! :)

Yeah, I hate cardio for simply that reason, boredom. I hate running on treadmills as well. I hate running, period. But I know it's good for some cardio. I do the eliptical after a workout as right now my knees just can't take the pounding of running anymore.

chiefzilla1501 01-28-2013 10:19 PM

Love p90x. Because I get bored working out, and feel like I can get a really good lift in a very quick period of time.

I'm not at all impressed with the cardio on p90x. I wish there was a better balance. Felt Kempo was worthless. Plyo is pretty tough, but not nearly what you can get if you can blend in Insanity on the off days.

Ideally... p90x / Insanity hybrid is a nice routine for a person that wants a good mix between weights and cardio.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-28-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9359960)
I notice you said "did". What do you do now? I know it's hard for anyone to keep up a 6 day routine but some do. What have you moved onto?

I do a less intense version now. Three times a week or so. Will pick it up more closer to summer.

Dayze 01-29-2013 11:42 AM

I mentioned this to my wife last night and she looked at me like I had a nipple on my forehead lol

I'll probalby decide here shortly on which route I'll take; the Power 90 deal, or the P90X etc.

Omaha 01-29-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9361572)
I mentioned this to my wife last night and she looked at me like I had a nipple on my forehead lol

I'll probalby decide here shortly on which route I'll take; the Power 90 deal, or the P90X etc.

P90X is the better program. It's also more fun.

Dayze 01-29-2013 12:09 PM

cool; thanks. I may order it in the next day or so and hit it the Monday after the SB / whenever it gets here.

I hope I can move my body after the first day lol.

any ideas of post workout stuff? Like a protein drink or anything?

Otter 01-29-2013 12:14 PM

You could tie your couch to your back with a rope and drag it around and it works. Key is to move and find something you'll stick with for over three weeks.

But yes, P90X works. Absolutely.

Omaha 01-29-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9361673)
cool; thanks. I may order it in the next day or so and hit it the Monday after the SB / whenever it gets here.

I hope I can move my body after the first day lol.

any ideas of post workout stuff? Like a protein drink or anything?

I usually just have a protein shake and a lot of water after my workouts. They (the makers of P90X) sell a recovery drink, but it has a lot of sugar in it & it's pretty expensive. You don't need it.

Just make sure you're getting enough protein and drink a lot of water. You'll be fine with that.

Dayze 01-29-2013 12:29 PM

good deal. thanks.

Saul Good 01-29-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9360122)

I see a lot of fat(ish) guys who have lifted for years. I almost never see fat people who are dedicated runners.

okoye35chiefs 01-29-2013 12:32 PM

yes, but had to skip the yoga...I tried man but i just couldn't do it..

Dayze 01-29-2013 12:37 PM

I hope to got I'm not so sore where I can't move the next day.

does a protein supplement (shake or otherwise) help expedite the healing process?

okoye35chiefs 01-29-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9361770)

does a protein supplement (shake or otherwise) help expedite the healing process?

protein will help.

Don't overdue it when you start. Do it at your own pace. It is all about your max reps. If it is 4 pushups it is 4 pushups.. but stay active after that while the 2 minutes is going. I jogged in place or did jumping jacks while the ripped guys on tv did 400 pushups in 2 minutes...

keep some water near by and yes plyometrics made me puke the 1st time..:eek:

InChiefsHeaven 01-29-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9361770)

Day two of The Rack workout, I had a hard time washing my hair, my arms were so tore up. As far as I know, you just have to let it heal. Maybe some ibuprofen, but that's about it.

Dayze 01-29-2013 12:44 PM

shit. lol

I don't mind a little soreness....but shit, I really hope I can get out of bed.

okoye35chiefs 01-29-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9361794)
Day two of The Rack workout, I had a hard time washing my hair, my arms were so tore up. As far as I know, you just have to let it heal. Maybe some ibuprofen, but that's about it.

this ROFL

thats why if I started over the 1st week I would go at 50%..

The Franchise 01-29-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9361793)
protein will help.

Don't overdue it when you start. Do it at your own pace. It is all about your max reps. If it is 4 pushups it is 4 pushups.. but stay active after that while the 2 minutes is going. I jogged in place or did jumping jacks while the ripped guys on tv did 400 pushups in 2 minutes...

keep some water near by and yes plyometrics made me puke the 1st time..:eek:

I had no problem with Plyometrics. Yoga X can lick my sweaty asshole though.

Dayze 01-29-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9361810)
I had no problem with Plyometrics. Yoga X can lick my sweaty asshole though.

LMAO

I don't even want to know what Plyometrics is...

The Franchise 01-29-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9361834)
LMAO

I don't even want to know what Plyometrics is...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJ1tXlZSapY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at 1:50.

Dayze 01-29-2013 01:02 PM

omg...butt muscles will be dead.

journeyscarab 01-29-2013 03:04 PM

I call Plyometrics - plyocide. I like P90X. Good luck. Between diet and P90X a couple of days a week along with other exercise I've lost 3.5 lbs over two weeks. Its a little slow but I am trying to ease into exercise because I tend to burn out if I go full bore immediately.

Omaha 01-29-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9361740)
I see a lot of fat(ish) guys who have lifted for years. I almost never see fat people who are dedicated runners.

Really? I'm always surprised at the # of fat guys who are able to run marathons and half marathons. Some people just have shitty diets.

This isn't just my crazy theory. I've read several articles on the subject over the last couple of years and I found it to be true through my personal experience.

Saul Good 01-29-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9362287)
Really? I'm always surprised at the # of fat guys who are able to run marathons and half marathons. Some people just have shitty diets.

This isn't just my crazy theory. I've read several articles on the subject over the last couple of years and I found it to be true through my personal experience.

The thing about marathons...you can stop...you can walk... As long as you get there eventually, it "counts".

With lifting weights, you either lift it or you don't.

I know that lifting weights helps burn fat. In my purely anecdotal experiences, the people I pass on running trails tend to be thinner than those I see lifting weights.

Buck 01-29-2013 03:55 PM

Didn't read the thread, this has probably already been said. Losing weight is 90% diet. Eat better first.

BigCatDaddy 01-29-2013 04:00 PM

Throw the damn thing out the window. Just grab some iron and lift it.

WV 01-29-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyscarab (Post 9362270)
I call Plyometrics - plyocide. I like P90X. Good luck. Between diet and P90X a couple of days a week along with other exercise I've lost 3.5 lbs over two weeks. Its a little slow but I am trying to ease into exercise because I tend to burn out if I go full bore immediately.

The updated version is actually called Plyocide in P90X2.

Omaha 01-29-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9362368)
The thing about marathons...you can stop...you can walk... As long as you get there eventually, it "counts".

I know that lifting weights helps burn fat. In my purely anecdotal experiences, the people I pass on running trails tend to be thinner than those I see lifting weights.

Fair enough. My bro in law runs a sub 4 hr marathon and he's fat as shit. I don't know how he does it. His diet must be shit.

Omaha 01-29-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9362391)
Didn't read the thread, this has probably already been said. Losing weight is 90% diet. Eat better first.

Not the best advice for a guy looking to put on muscle and get in better shape.

GloryDayz 01-29-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9360251)
Yeah, I hate cardio for simply that reason, boredom. I hate running on treadmills as well. I hate running, period. But I know it's good for some cardio. I do the eliptical after a workout as right now my knees just can't take the pounding of running anymore.

I too like the eliptical too... Not sure why, but it seems to calulate the calorie burn faster and simpler than running. I'm just not seeing it, but what the hell, it makes me feel better...

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9362856)
Fair enough. My bro in law runs a sub 4 hr marathon and he's fat as shit. I don't know how he does it. His diet must be shit.

That's impressive. He must just be a really good natural athlete.

petegz28 01-29-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9362856)

I can relate. I think I insulted a guy I work with when I made the comment "you run?" when he talked about being in a marathon. He was like "what, are you saying I'm fat?". I was like oh shit, what do I say?

But the dude shoves Hardee's breakfast burritos down 2-3 at a time every morning if that says anything.

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9363357)
I can relate. I think I insulted a guy I work with when I made the comment "you run?" when he talked about being in a marathon. He was like "what, are you saying I'm fat?". I was like oh shit, what do I say?

But the dude shoves Hardee's breakfast burritos down 2-3 at a time every morning if that says anything.

A lot of people think that if you are training for a marathon you can eat as much as you want of whatever you want. It just isn't the case.

I weigh 167 pounds. Using the "3500 calories burned = 1 pound of weight lost" rule of thumb, running a marathon would equate to me losing almost exactly one pound of actual weight (excluding the 5-10 pounds of water weight).

GloryDayz 01-29-2013 09:25 PM

OK, **** all this shit! According to the TV, all we have to do is eat before 3:00pm and we'll be some buff ****ers! Sleep until Noon, eat until 2:55, and we're good.... Like!

NewChief 01-29-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9362368)

Yes.. but is skinny always good? ;)

Which of these guys do you think lifts weights? Which one sprints? Which one does marathons?

http://fasterfitnessstlouis.com/wp-c...s-Marathon.jpg

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363454)

Which of these guys do you think lifts weights? Which one sprints? Which one does marathons?

You can get absolutely jacked doing sprints without lifting.

petegz28 01-29-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Which do you think gets more pussy???? :thumb:

NewChief 01-29-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9363467)
You can get absolutely jacked doing sprints without lifting.

I think most sprinters spend time in the gym lifting, though I could be wrong. I definitely spend time sprinting.

I was a runner for years, usually clocking 20-30 miles a week. I don't miss it, and my physique is much, much better than it was when I was a runner. I also spend less time per day working out than I did as a runner.

That being said, I do a lot of "lifting" that is HIIT based, so I'm not just in the gym doing bench press and curls. I'm still lean as hell, I'm just also more "ripped" (which feels silly to say, because I'm not ripped by any means) than I was as a runner.

GloryDayz 01-29-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363482)
I think most sprinters spend time in the gym lifting, though I could be wrong. I definitely spend time sprinting.

I was a runner for years, usually clocking 20-30 miles a week. I don't miss it, and my physique is much, much better than it was when I was a runner. I also spend less time per day working out than I did as a runner.

That being said, I do a lot of "lifting" that is HIIT based, so I'm not just in the gym doing bench press and curls. I'm still lean as hell, I'm just also more "ripped" (which feels silly to say, because I'm not ripped by any means) than I was as a runner.

Sprinting gets you jacked. Long-distance running sheds pounds. When I was doing the Sprint 8 workout last year, my legs got big fast. I mean like obvious visible results within a month fast. I'd like to say that I'll pick it back up in the Spring, but I don't know about that.

NewChief 01-29-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9363489)
Sprinting gets you jacked. Long-distance running sheds pounds. When I was doing the Sprint 8 workout last year, my legs got big fast. I mean like obvious visible results within a month fast. I'd like to say that I'll pick it back up in the Spring, but I don't know about that.

Sprint 8 is definitely good stuff. I need to work that back into my routine.

Omaha 01-29-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9363348)
That's impressive. He must just be a really good natural athlete.

ROFL I understand your thought process, but I wish you knew him. He's not at all.

NewChief 01-29-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9363519)
ROFL I understand your thought process, but I wish you knew him. He's not at all.

I'll never forget going to watch my wife's brother (not the famous one, but they have the same genes, and he played college ball, too) compete in the Couer d'Alene Ironman. He'd been training hard for 2 years and was in amazing shape. Completely ripped and just putting in huge amounts of time to get ready. He hired a trainer and everything to make sure he was ready (this was on his bucket list for his 40th birthday).

It completely blew me away seeing some of the fatass, out of shape ****ers handily beating him in the IronMan. I can't really explain it, other than I think a lot of endurance sports depend on the mind and the body's ability to withstand pain as much as actual physical ability/conditioning.

Omaha 01-29-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9363489)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363497)
Sprint 8 is definitely good stuff. I need to work that back into my routine.

I just Googler sprint 8 and did a little reading. Can I find the workouts and do them outside? Do I have to use one of their treadmills? How does it differ from my normal qtr mile interval runs?

NewChief 01-29-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9363582)
I just Googler sprint 8 and did a little reading. Can I find the workouts and do them outside? Do I have to use one of their treadmills? How does it differ from my normal qtr mile interval runs?

It was in an outside mag a long time ago. The benefit of it, is that it's fast (18 minutes) so it's easy to pair with weight training or other exercises. Could be done outside easily. If you're already doing HIIT sprint program, nit sure you'll see any advantage.

Omaha 01-29-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363625)
It was in an outside mag a long time ago. The benefit of it, is that it's fast (18 minutes) so it's easy to pair with weight training or other exercises. Could be done outside easily. If you're already doing HIIT sprint program, nit sure you'll see any advantage.

Any links that actually describe the workout?

Buck 01-29-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9362867)
Not the best advice for a guy looking to put on muscle and get in better shape.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the losing weight part...not about putting on muscle. You can't just eat like a pig and lift weights and expect to lose any serious weight.

When you're 240, you're fat, and you need to get yourself a better diet to go along with any exercise.

WV 01-30-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363482)

Can you give me more details? I'm lifting 4 days a week now and running on Saturdays in preperation for another Tough Mudder, but I was going to start another round of P90X. This is what I did for the first one and it went great.
This HIIT training is intriguing though. What is your typical workout week like?

BWillie 01-30-2013 06:02 AM

I don't understand how you ppl all gain weight so easily from inactivity. Its the opposite for me. Always has been. Ive gotten lazy the last few yrs. Used to go 3 to 4 times a week no matter what. Now its usually about 1.6 times a week and I don't lift as hard as I used to.

At my peak I was 195 lbs..benching over 300lbs..405 squat...525 deadlift. Now my gf cooks and we go out to eat 3 times a week at least and I never eat what I want to that is healthy. Its caused me to lose 10 lbs and add body fat apparently at the same time. Now I can barely bench 255 and squat 350. Don't even do deads. If I go on vacation or take a couple weeks off lifting I begin to wilt. Ill lose at least 5 lbs. I don't think p90x would be a good idea for me unless I wanted to be a scrawny ripped dude.

NewChief 01-30-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9363641)
Any links that actually describe the workout?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phil3.htm

On the treadmill it looked like this:

3 minute warmup
30 second sprint
90 second walk
30 second sprint
90 second walk (repeat sprint/walk 8 times, hence name Sprint 8).

It's not anything groundbreaking.

NewChief 01-30-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9363800)
Can you give me more details? I'm lifting 4 days a week now and running on Saturdays in preperation for another Tough Mudder, but I was going to start another round of P90X. This is what I did for the first one and it went great.
This HIIT training is intriguing though. What is your typical workout week like?

Most of my HIIT training involves kettlebells, but you can do it in a lot of ways. I set up stations and rotate between them. Example:

Kettlebell swings 1 minute with 24 kg.
1 minute heavy ropes
1000m row
10 pistol squats

Repeat 5 times.

I might just do straight kettelbells:
5 snatches each hand
5 presses each hand
20 swings each hand.

Main thing is keep the heartrate up while training.

Also check out tabata training if you're interested in weight training while still getting that cardio high.

Rausch 01-30-2013 06:28 AM

All exercise works if you stick to it...

Saul Good 01-30-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9363582)

It would suck on a treadmill. Go outside somewhere with a lot of room to run.
1. Easy warmup jog for three minutes.

2. 30 second sprint. (Give it everything you've got. If your body isn't begging you to stop after fifteen seconds, you aren't going hard enough).

3. 90 second jog.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have done 8 sprints. After the last sprint, do a 3 minute jog to cool down.

It sounds easy, but it sucks hard. The results are almost immediate, though. It boosts your body's natural HGH production, so it's great for men in their 40s (I'm 34). I actually started to get weird zits after doing it for a month just like people get from doing roids.

Dayze 01-30-2013 08:29 AM

I'm considering doing the couch to 5k thing again (I've done it twice so I know it works); then hitting up the P90X.

Last time I did C25K, I think I lost 15-18 lbs ...I 'think'.

That might help in hoisting my fat ass up on P90 pushups etc..

Saul Good 01-30-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9364023)
I'm considering doing the couch to 5k thing again (I've done it twice so I know it works); then hitting up the P90X.

Last time I did C25K, I think I lost 15-18 lbs ...I 'think'.

That might help in hoisting my fat ass up on P90 pushups etc..

Go for it, then. If it worked for you, it's a good start. Have you started anything yet? It's been three days. Please tell me you haven't let three days go by just deciding on a routine.

Omaha 01-30-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9363924)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phil3.htm

On the treadmill it looked like this:

3 minute warmup
30 second sprint
90 second walk
30 second sprint
90 second walk (repeat sprint/walk 8 times, hence name Sprint 8).

It's not anything groundbreaking.

Thanks. That's not all that different from what I have been doing. I run 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes. Repeat 8-12 times.

Omaha 01-30-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9363716)
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the losing weight part...not about putting on muscle. You can't just eat like a pig and lift weights and expect to lose any serious weight.

When you're 240, you're fat, and you need to get yourself a better diet to go along with any exercise.

Easy, tiger. He mentioned a couple of times that he wasn't just interested in weight loss and wanted to put on some muscle.

Omaha 01-30-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9363968)
It would suck on a treadmill. Go outside somewhere with a lot of room to run.
1. Easy warmup jog for three minutes.

2. 30 second sprint. (Give it everything you've got. If your body isn't begging you to stop after fifteen seconds, you aren't going hard enough).

3. 90 second jog.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have done 8 sprints. After the last sprint, do a 3 minute jog to cool down.

It sounds easy, but it sucks hard. The results are almost immediate, though. It boosts your body's natural HGH production, so it's great for men in their 40s (I'm 34). I actually started to get weird zits after doing it for a month just like people get from doing roids.

Sounds fun. I'll give it a shot.

Dayze 01-30-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9364072)
Go for it, then. If it worked for you, it's a good start. Have you started anything yet? It's been three days. Please tell me you haven't let three days go by just deciding on a routine.

I have let it go lol.
I talked at lenght with the wife last night and she's down with P90.

we decided on the C25K first scenario last night. So I'll probably start that afterwork tonight; eventually migrating to a morning routine (evenings are crazy busy).

Omaha 01-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9364305)
I have let it go lol.
I talked at lenght with the wife last night and she's down with P90.

we decided on the C25K first scenario last night. So I'll probably start that afterwork tonight; eventually migrating to a morning routine (evenings are crazy busy).

Cool. There are a lot of really fun 5Ks throughout the year that can keep you motivated.

I'd suggest adding some weight days while you do this. It will greatly improve your results.

Saul Good 01-30-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9364283)
Thanks. That's not all that different from what I have been doing. I run 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes. Repeat 8-12 times.

It's a lot different in practice even though it sounds similar. A two minute "sprint" is very different than a 30 second sprint. I don't see how it could possibly work on a treadmill because you can't control your speed. If you are truly giving everything you've got, you are running much slower during the last ten seconds than the first ten.

Your body simply can't maintain top speed for 30 seconds. Two minutes would quite possibly kill you.

Omaha 01-30-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9364329)
It's a lot different in practice even though it sounds similar. A two minute "sprint" is very different than a 30 second sprint. I don't see how it could possibly work on a treadmill because you can't control your speed. If you are truly giving everything you've got, you are running much slower during the last ten seconds than the first ten.

Your body simply can't maintain top speed for 30 seconds. Two minutes would quite possibly kill you.

You're right. I have to make sure I hit a qtr mile on each 2 minute run. It's easy during the first 6 intervals. (I usually get them done in 90 seconds) I'm pushing pretty hard during intervals 10 - 11, but I'm still not sprinting.

I want to try this for the exact reason you pointed out. I think it would also be more fun to go fast for a shorter period.

Saul Good 01-30-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9364351)
You're right. I have to make sure I hit a qtr mile on each 2 minute run. It's easy during the first 6 intervals. (I usually get them done in 90 seconds) I'm pushing pretty hard during intervals 10 - 11, but I'm still not sprinting.

I want to try this for the exact reason you pointed out. I think it would also be more fun to go fast for a shorter period.

For me, there is nothing fun about it. It feels awful during the sprints, and it feels somehow worse when you stop. I feel like shit for a good 15-20 minutes after I'm done...Not a tired but satisfying feeling...just awful. It really works, though.