ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music My daughter wants to play guitar... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269236)

Rausch 01-24-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347609)
She's been playing the piano for just under a year...

So she does have the desire and talent.

Why would you want to hamper that?

It's your daughter.

If you have 8 she could play you have 1 you could sell.

Yes?

:evil:

Dayze 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

I started out playing Bluegrass with my dad. So learned a TON of picking techniques / became very good at it. so once I got into the legatto it was even better.

Nirvana58 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347618)
Excellent.

I suck at piano but personally, there isn't a finer musical instrument in the world.

Agreed. I would love to learn the piano one day. Plus knowing the piano will greatly help her with guitar. Basically the same layout but guitar is built in octaves

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 9347568)
You can buy a cheap left handed guitar for less than $100 bucks at a pawn shop.

The cheapest lefty I've found was $139. Believe it or not, there aren't as many lefty sticks out there as you think. Our guitar center has about 300 used guitars - they had FOUR lefty and all were over $400.

I've looked online but I'm wary with guitars - I've gotten burned on that before. I want to play it before I buy it.

Quote:

Go to a guitar shop and have her play a left handed guitar and a right handed one then let her decide.

That's actually a very good idea.

Quote:

I just know from personal experience I quit playing out of frustration when trying to learn right handed. There is a steep learning curve for playing the guitar and the first year is more about perseverance. (very easy to get frustrated)

That's not unique. That's inherent to playing the guitar, regardless of which hand is dominant. ;)

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347628)
So she does have the desire and talent.

Why would you want to hamper that?

It's your daughter.

If you have 8 she could play you have 1 you could sell.

Yes?

:evil:

Are you suggesting I need to SACRIFICE?

You shut your whore mouth!

Rausch 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347669)
Are you suggesting I need to SACRIFICE?

You shut your whore mouth!

LMAO

Sorter 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 9347635)
Agreed. I would love to learn the piano one day. Plus knowing the piano will greatly help her with guitar. Basically the same layout but guitar is built in octaves

I really hope that one day I can just dedicate a solid 3 months to piano.

It is truly sad that we don't have many huge names in the music industry that utilize piano currently AFAIK (granted you've got your Ben Folds, Regina Specktor, Rufus Wainwright) but nothing that compares to Billy Joel or Elton. Bummer.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9345644)
I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

For what it's worth, I took a guitar class in college, and I really felt hampered by being forced to play right handed. I'm very much left hand dominant, and I just didn't have the dexterity in my right hand to play well at all. I really struggled.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347681)

It is truly sad that we don't have many huge names in the music industry that utilize piano currently AFAIK (granted you've got your Ben Folds, Regina Specktor, Rufus Wainwright) but nothing that compares to Billy Joel or Elton. Bummer.

Sad? That music is LAME, man.

;)

Ace Gunner 01-24-2013 12:47 PM

you are setting her up for fail. if she wants to play a lefty get her a cheapo lefty guitar and let her have fun.

Nirvana58 01-24-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347681)

I think you can say that about music in general. We are replacing instruments with computer beats. The days of the great pure musicians is quickly fading. Very sad and depressing when you think about it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uAsV5-Hv-7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 01-24-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9347743)
you are setting her up for fail. if she wants to play a lefty get her a cheapo lefty guitar and let her have fun.

She's never played guitar so she doesn't know whether she wants to play left or right.

Sorter 01-24-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347787)
She's never played guitar so she doesn't know whether she wants to play left or right.

As I said earlier, let her try both and see what she's most comfortable with.

Ace Gunner 01-24-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347787)

oh, well then tell her to let you know when she makes up her dizzy female youngster mind :D

Rausch 01-24-2013 01:02 PM

He's ****ing limb-lining.

Rotten pr!ck...

Sorter 01-24-2013 01:02 PM

Or be a real man and force her to play RH regardless whilst laughing maniacally in the background as she learns scales.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347789)
As I said earlier, let her try both and see what she's most comfortable with.

That's what I'm thinking. Just take her to guitar center or one of the pro shops and let her try it out.

Rausch 01-24-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347793)
That's what I'm thinking. Just take her to guitar center or one of the pro shops and let her try it out.

Soooooooooo....thread not necessary, common sense prevails, you've always been good with.....

Man, **** you...just.....Eat my swampy fat white ass...

htismaqe 01-24-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347802)
Soooooooooo....thread not necessary, common sense prevails, you've always been good with.....

Man, **** you...just.....Eat my swampy fat white ass...

I truly, honestly did not expect that large number of "I'm left-handed but play right" responses.

The thread was absolutely necessary and fruitful.

Ace Gunner 01-24-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347818)
I truly, honestly did not expect that large number of "I'm left-handed but play right" responses.

you are poisoning his mind :D

Rausch 01-24-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

I have a hard time believing you don't know how to make a decision on your daughter's musical instrument.

Just me.

http://www.morethings.com/fan/saturd...an_lawyerc.jpg

htismaqe 01-24-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347842)
I have a hard time believing you don't know how to make a decision on your daughter's musical instrument.

Just me.

http://www.morethings.com/fan/saturd...an_lawyerc.jpg

I was conflicted. It's not that I couldn't make a decision, it's that I didn't want to without having more information.

And when one wants information, where does one go?

Chiefsplanet of course!

Rausch 01-24-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347886)
I was conflicted. It's not that I couldn't make a decision, it's that I didn't want to without having more information.

And when one wants information, where does one go?

I'd think back to what my grandparen-NOOOOO!

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347886)
Chiefsplanet of course!

:facepalm:

ZepSinger 01-24-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347842)

Well, don't stop believing- hold onto that feeling. :-)

headsnap 01-24-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

put me down as another lefty that plays righty(Phobia will probably be along shortly to post a pic of proof :D )... I would strongly suggest she go that route!!!

MahiMike 01-24-2013 03:24 PM

Right handed guitars are actually easier for lefties. Most of the work is w/the left hand.

ZepSinger 01-24-2013 03:28 PM

http://www.setileague.org/photos/cons/lgm_gig.jpg

Please, don't let this happen to her.

headsnap 01-24-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 9348162)
http://www.setileague.org/photos/cons/lgm_gig.jpg

Please, don't let this happen to her.

I currently play in a band with a lefty lefty... dude walked into Guitar Center in Dayton, OH last week and couldn't pick up a single guitar to play... can you imagine the horror!!!!

Rain Man 01-24-2013 03:44 PM

As a very important point, recognize that if you get her a guitar you will be forced to hear Smoke on the Water nonstop for long periods of time. However, if you get her a banjo you will enjoy Foggy Mountain Breakdown for long periods of time.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9348158)
Right handed guitars are actually easier for lefties. Most of the work is w/the left hand.

Kinda depends. I'm fully capable of fretting with my left and right. Can't finger pick for shit with my right.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9348203)
As a very important point, recognize that if you get her a guitar you will be forced to hear Smoke on the Water nonstop for long periods of time. However, if you get her a banjo you will enjoy Foggy Mountain Breakdown for long periods of time.

****, I hope so!

Sofa King 01-26-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 9346288)
Where the **** are all you left handers coming from?

LMAO

Why the hell did i get so many neg reps over this?

Lefties = very sensitive about being left handed apparently.

jspchief 01-27-2013 09:37 PM

So this is an interesting thread. I have a daughter about the same age, and have been thinking about getting her started on guitar lessons. I want her to play an instrument, and just feel like the guitar has more potential than things like clarinet, etc.

I'd like to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts on the subject. Good age to start? Startup costs? How to choose an instructor? Was thinking acoustic, is that a good place to start, does it matter etc? Would also add that my wife wants her to play piano, and I'm not opposed to that so would like to hear opinions on an earlier statement that hinted that it might help her in learning other instruments. Piano first? Concurrent?

Interestingly, my daughter is also a lefty but I feel like she would do fine learning right handed because she's nearly ambidextrous anyway.

Just would like to see this thread continue on. I wish I had learned guitar as a kid instead of the worthless 1 year of f'ing saxophone, but now I'll live it vicariously through my daughter.

htismaqe 01-27-2013 09:51 PM

Well, I typed up a big long response and somehow when I hit submit, it disappeared.

In a nutshell:

1. Have her start on piano. Learn to read music and develop both hands.
2. If she wants to play in school band, check with the school. My kids' program doesn't include guitar.
3. I would start her on acoustic. I think it builds finger strength and encourages good fret mechanics. Electrics with lighter gauge strings can breed laziness.

Titty Meat 01-27-2013 09:54 PM

Don't do it man you'll have loser band members at your place

DaneMcCloud 01-27-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9357177)
So this is an interesting thread. I have a daughter about the same age, and have been thinking about getting her started on guitar lessons. I want her to play an instrument, and just feel like the guitar has more potential than things like clarinet, etc.

I'd like to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts on the subject. Good age to start? Startup costs? How to choose an instructor? Was thinking acoustic, is that a good place to start, does it matter etc? Would also add that my wife wants her to play piano, and I'm not opposed to that so would like to hear opinions on an earlier statement that hinted that it might help her in learning other instruments. Piano first? Concurrent?

Interestingly, my daughter is also a lefty but I feel like she would do fine learning right handed because she's nearly ambidextrous anyway.

Just would like to see this thread continue on. I wish I had learned guitar as a kid instead of the worthless 1 year of f'ing saxophone, but now I'll live it vicariously through my daughter.

My personal and professional opinion is to teach her piano.

There's nothing more satisfying than being able to walk into a room at any age, whether it's 10 or 20 or 30 or 70, read sheet music and play any song.

It's the universal language for a reason. It's an ambidextrous instrument, it teaches history (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.) and there's nothing like the accomplishment of playing historically significant musical pieces or a song from the present.

If you can't afford a piano, rent one to see if the desire is there. Outside of that, guitar is a difficult instrument, especially first instrument, for many reasons.

First off, it's painful to press metal strings on wood to make sound. Most guitars are set up like ****ing shit, whether it's a $100 guitar or a $3000 Gibson (I just had a beginner at my house last week with a $3k 335 that was ****ing dogshit).

Secondly, 99% of all teachers teach the instrument incorrectly, so students don't even like playing after a few weeks. Who wants to play their favorite song on an unplayable $99 dollar acoustic?

Furthermore, if your kids can't sing (i.e., sing in tune, have pitch, etc.) you're wasting your time. I hate to sound like a dick but if you can't sing (and I'm not referring to great tone, sounding like a gospel singer, etc.), your kids will bomb with any instrument.

Good luck!

stevieray 01-27-2013 11:05 PM

question, i have an idea that requires necks of guitars...what would be a good way of aquiring old guitars to confiscate the necks?

DaneMcCloud 01-27-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9357395)
question, i have an idea that requires necks of guitars...what would be a good way of aquiring old guitars to confiscate the necks?

Well, that's difficult to answer. Do you want them for a specific reason, i.e., memorabilia or re-sale? Or to trace, for a possible re-creation?

PM me. I'll help out as much as I can.

Rain Man 01-27-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9357264)

There's nothing more satisfying than being able to walk into a room at any age, whether it's 10 or 20 or 30 or 70, read sheet music and play any song.

It's the universal language for a reason. It's an ambidextrous instrument, it teaches history (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.) and there's nothing like the accomplishment of playing historically significant musical pieces or a song from the present.

If you can't afford a piano, rent one to see if the desire is there. Outside of that, guitar is a difficult instrument, especially first instrument, for many reasons.

First off, it's painful to press metal strings on wood to make sound. Most guitars are set up like ****ing shit, whether it's a $100 guitar or a $3000 Gibson (I just had a beginner at my house last week with a $3k 335 that was ****ing dogshit).

Secondly, 99% of all teachers teach the instrument incorrectly, so students don't even like playing after a few weeks. Who wants to play their favorite song on an unplayable $99 dollar acoustic?

Furthermore, if your kids can't sing (i.e., sing in tune, have pitch, etc.) you're wasting your time. I hate to sound like a dick but if you can't sing (and I'm not referring to great tone, sounding like a gospel singer, etc.), your kids will bomb with any instrument.

Good luck!

I really want to learn to play the piano. If you can play the piano, you can wow people at parties or occasionally in the mall.

We didn't know it, but a fellow on our block passed away this summer, and his estate sale was this weekend. We went over there to check it out, and this guy had a harpsichord, a really nice one that was also art. I really wanted it, but it was $4,500 and the wife laughed at me.

Gadzooks 01-27-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9357235)
Well, I typed up a big long response and somehow when I hit submit, it disappeared.

In a nutshell:

1. Have her start on piano. Learn to read music and develop both hands.
2. If she wants to play in school band, check with the school. My kids' program doesn't include guitar.
3. I would start her on acoustic. I think it builds finger strength and encourages good fret mechanics. Electrics with lighter gauge strings can breed laziness.

For point 3, I've always felt that using an electric with lighter gauge strings, (coupled with low action), can show quicker results which breeds a further fascination with the instrument, thus, increasing interest in expanding her musical horizons

Did you put a patch on her right eye when she was born so she wouldn't be lazy with her sight?
Why would you want to handicap her out of the gate?

DaneMcCloud 01-28-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9357497)
I really want to learn to play the piano. If you can play the piano, you can wow people at parties or occasionally in the mall.

With the intelligence you've shown over the years, along with the rhythm of your posts, I'm sure you'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

There's nothing better than scenes in Woody Allen movies, where just about anyone can sit down at the piano and play old standards. I've always thought that was lovely and such a party treat.

I can guarantee that if you bought any old piano, had it tuned and hired a teacher, you'd be playing and enjoying yourself in no time.

Sincerely.

MeatRock 01-28-2013 08:44 AM

Not to hijack your thread htis, but youtube Guthrie Govan - Along the Tracks.

I think it's something you might appreciate.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9357264)

Good luck!

Lots of wisdom in this post.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 9357505)
For point 3, I've always felt that using an electric with lighter gauge strings, (coupled with low action), can show quicker results which breeds a further fascination with the instrument, thus, increasing interest in expanding her musical horizons

Did you put a patch on her right eye when she was born so she wouldn't be lazy with her sight?
Why would you want to handicap her out of the gate?

Wait a minute, aren't you the guy that warned against frequent use of hammer-on's and pull-off's? :P

Yes, lighter strings and a lower action might lead to quicker results. I can also say from personal experience that it fosters bad habits.

Futhermore, now that I play my electric in B standard with 12-56 strings, the time I spent on the acoustic is invaluable. Switching from 8's or 9's to these would be very hard to do simply from a finger wear/fatigue standpoint. They're chunky.

And my youngest daughter had a strabismus. She had to wear a path over her eye for 2 years. How dare you!

Gadzooks 01-28-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358080)
Wait a minute, aren't you the guy that warned against frequent use of hammer-on's and pull-off's? :P

Yes, lighter strings and a lower action might lead to quicker results. I can also say from personal experience that it fosters bad habits.

Futhermore, now that I play my electric in B standard with 12-56 strings, the time I spent on the acoustic is invaluable. Switching from 8's or 9's to these would be very hard to do simply from a finger wear/fatigue standpoint. They're chunky.

And my youngest daughter had a strabismus. She had to wear a path over her eye for 2 years. How dare you!

I've found that kids are more likely to stick with guitar when it's not drenched in their own blood.
I learned on an electric with 8's and moved on to acoustic later.
BTW - I'm sorry about your daughter's strabismus, (I had to look that up). I hope she's better now.:thumb:

htismaqe 01-28-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 9358227)
I've found that kids are more likely to stick with guitar when it's not drenched in their own blood.
I learned on an electric with 8's and moved on to acoustic later.
BTW - I'm sorry about your daughter's strabismus, (I had to look that up). I hope she's better now.:thumb:

I look at it like a sport - no pain, no gain.

I would start on an acoustic because I think it teaches better technique if and when she chooses to pursue it further, say classical guitar in college.

The last thing I want is for her guitar playing to turn out like mine! :D