ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Reid Draft Record is Nothing to Get Excited About (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268512)

tk13 01-04-2013 11:43 PM

I can get that the list may not look the most impressive on paper.

That said, the part that makes this tough to argue is he took a team made up mostly of Philly draft picks to a Super Bowl, and within 3 points of a win. He was not Dan Snyder. Most of that Super Bowl team was filled with Eagles guys. Obviously he made the splash with TO and Kearse. Only 6 of their 22 starters that year were drafted by someone else, and among those, starting DT Darwin Walker had literally played one NFL game before coming to Philly. Plus TO broke his leg for the playoffs and Greg Lewis stepped in for him.

A couple of those guys were drafted before Reid got there, but pretty much the entire offense outside of TO and Runyan were originally Eagles. Same with the defense aside from Kearse, Simoneau and Dhani Jones at LB. He took those guys to a Super Bowl.

BradBigglestein 01-04-2013 11:44 PM

Andy Reid's drafting definitely left a lot to be desired. Talent evaluation in my opinion is a big weakness. He is better at drafting offense than defense. He has a very good eye for QBs and RBs. He is pretty awful at drafting defense. I might rank that his #1 overall weakness as a coach. If not #1 then in his top 3.

But there are few perfect coaches out there. This is one flaw, he has a lot of strengths. I'm trying to be as honest as possible. Talent evaluation is definitely a concern. No question.

WildTurkey 01-04-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9283924)
Andy Reid's drafting definitely left a lot to be desired. Talent evaluation in my opinion is a big weakness. He is better at drafting offense than defense. He has a very good eye for QBs and RBs. He is pretty awful at drafting defense. I might rank that his #1 overall weakness as a coach. If not #1 then in his top 3.

But there are few perfect coaches out there. This is one flaw, he has a lot of strengths. I'm trying to be as honest as possible. Talent evaluation is definitely a concern. No question.

I think he understands this weakness. IMO it's why he's trying to bring Tom Dorsey from Green Bay into the fold

slimdagreat 01-04-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9283924)

Reid has drafted 10 pro bowlers and 5 of them were on defense.

BradBigglestein 01-04-2013 11:53 PM

I don't know if Pro Bowls are the be all end all of evaluation, but if you want me to, I can name you all the draft picks that went horribly wrong on defense over the years. It is a big reason why the team had to resort to that ridiculous spending spree a couple years ago. So many defensive draft picks didn't work out and they needed to fill roster spots.

The best Eagles defensive players in Reid's tenure were Trotter and Dawkins. Both Ray Rhodes guys. Trent Cole was Reid's best defensive draft pick. A 5th rounder.

KChiefs1 01-04-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando (Post 9283581)
McNabb was on the NFL Network earlier stating that we should expect Reid to pick a big ugly at number 1. Expect him to pick up a veteran qb to groom a rook we pick in round 2 or 3.

1. Luke Joeckel
2. Tyler Bray

FloridaMan88 01-04-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283713)
Patriots:
Mankins, Wilfolk, Ty Warren, Merriweather, Mayo, Seymour.

These look a little better than Andy's group.

Merriweather was released 4 years after he was drafted.

Other than Mayo the rest of the guys you listed were drafted 2005 and earlier... not exactly recent or a sign of sustained draft success.

slimdagreat 01-04-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9283960)
I don't know if Pro Bowls are the be all end all of evaluation, but if you want me to, I can name you all the draft picks that went horribly wrong on defense over the years. It is a big reason why the team had to resort to that ridiculous spending spree a couple years ago. So many defensive draft picks didn't work out and they needed to fill roster spots.

The best Eagles defensive players in Reid's tenure were Trotter and Dawkins. Both Ray Rhodes guys. Trent Cole was Reid's best defensive draft pick. A 5th rounder.

well what's the criteria then because he also picked 18 players that played in at least 100 games (indicating they were good enough to stick for several seasons) and 9 were on offense and 9 were on defense.

slimdagreat 01-04-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9283970)
1. Luke Joeckel
2. Tyler Bray

This

Or Tyler Wilson

FloridaMan88 01-05-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283694)
So the Giants don't get cornerstone players in:
JPP, Aukumara (sp), Nicks, David Wilson,Kenny Phillips, Aaron Ross, Shockey, Will Allen

Shockey and Will Allen had relatively short careers in New York and bounced around the league after that.

L.A. Chieffan 01-05-2013 12:00 AM

McNabb was an overrated choker. Gowalrus told me that.

beach tribe 01-05-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283802)
Agree, but you must have players to win. My point is Reid's trend is to go out any buy players on the FA market rather than build from great drafting.

I'm not sure Clark is going to open the checkbook like the Eagles did.

Clark has never shown any sign that he has a problem opening up his wallet.
Quite the opposite really. I have Zero doubt that Reid will get anything and everything he feels like he needs to win.

BradBigglestein 01-05-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimdagreat (Post 9283983)
well what's the criteria then because he also picked 18 players that played in at least 100 games (indicating they were good enough to stick for several seasons) and 9 were on offense and 9 were on defense.

Reid has had some success with late round picks over the years. A lot of them were not great, but merely started because the other players were so poor. A big problem with Reid is he drafted some decent players, but very few franchise defensive players. Corey Simon and Trent Cole were it really.

Just to name some high draft picks that didn't work out. I don't usually point out the mid to late round picks because they are hit and miss anyway.

Quinton Caver
Jerome McDouble
Matt McCoy
Stewart Bradley
Victor Abiamiri
Brandon Graham
Jaiquawn Jarrett
Nate Allen
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
Bryan Smith
Chris Gocong
Matt Ware

Those are all rounds 1-3. So I didn't even go into round 4. None of those players have worked out for the Eagles and the only ones remaining on the roster are Graham and Allen. Allen will probably be cut.

slimdagreat 01-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284001)
Reid has had some success with late round picks over the years. A lot of them were not great, but merely started because the other players were so poor.

If Philly didn't have the 6th most wins of any team since 1999 I'd agree with you. If you have a pereneal playoff team and you're playing in 100 games even if most of them are with a different team it's a good pick

Bump 01-05-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9283568)
Chiefs Playoff wins: 8

Andy Reid Playoff wins: 10

Sold.

Pretty much this.

The thing about winning a Superbowl, a little luck is involved and the more times you get to the playoffs, the more chances you have to winning it.

slimdagreat 01-05-2013 12:11 AM

I'm not the biggest Andy Reid fan don't get me wrong. I'd rather have him running things than Pioli but I think you guys are trying to over critique his draft history to make a point. He's had some misses as have most coaches/GMs but I think his hits show he's a pretty good judge of talent.

BradBigglestein 01-05-2013 12:13 AM

I'm not trying to make any point. I have said he is a good hire. I think drafting is a weakness of his. If he surrounds himself with good talent evaluators and scouts, it may not be an issue.

I'm an Eagles fan and I look at it completely objectively. I'd say drafting is a weakness of his. There is no bias on my end at all. Jim Johnson did a great job molding a defense out of inferior talent at times. When he passed away you saw how greatly the defense fell apart.

FloridaMan88 01-05-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284015)
I'm not trying to make any point. I have said he is a good hire. I think drafting is a weakness of his. If he surrounds himself with good talent evaluators and scouts, it may not be an issue.

I'm an Eagles fan and I look at it completely objectively. I'd say drafting is a weakness of his. There is no bias on my end at all. Jim Johnson did a great job molding a defense out of inferior talent at times. When he passed away you saw how greatly the defense fell apart.

Any draft weakness is negated significantly if John Dorsey is hired to be GM.

Red Dawg 01-05-2013 12:25 AM

All of a sudden reid has flaws on this board. All coaches have flaws. Reid kept his gig for fourteen years. Most of them were playoff years. I am thrilled to have a coach with his track record.

Titty Meat 01-05-2013 12:29 AM

It's weird seeing people on here defend a Chiefs head coach. I bet it's never happened before.

ClevelandBronco 01-05-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284001)
Reid has had some success with late round picks over the years. A lot of them were not great, but merely started because the other players were so poor. A big problem with Reid is he drafted some decent players, but very few franchise defensive players. Corey Simon and Trent Cole were it really.

Just to name some high draft picks that didn't work out. I don't usually point out the mid to late round picks because they are hit and miss anyway.

Quinton Caver
Jerome McDouble
Matt McCoy
Stewart Bradley
Victor Abiamiri
Brandon Graham
Jaiquawn Jarrett
Nate Allen
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
Bryan Smith
Chris Gocong
Matt Ware

Those are all rounds 1-3. So I didn't even go into round 4. None of those players have worked out for the Eagles and the only ones remaining on the roster are Graham and Allen. Allen will probably be cut.

No problem. Reid won't need a defense. It's not like there's a team in the AFC West that can score a lot of points. :D

Bump 01-05-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284015)

most Chiefs fans, that have been around a while, have a pr-condidtioned thing
in their brains that make them extremely pessimistic. It's easy to look for all of his faults and expect that to happen to us, since you know, we've been burned in the past. A lot.

mcaj22 01-05-2013 12:54 AM

maybe/maybe not to Jeremy Maclin?

what are you ****ing stupid? Do you know how good Maclin is considering age/potential and how long hes been in the league with production

that's a HIT ON A RS SOPHOMORE COMING INTO THE NFL. The guy is only 24 and has plenty of production already

Bump 01-05-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9284111)
maybe/maybe not to Jeremy Maclin?

what are you ****ing stupid? Do you know how good Maclin is considering age/potential and how long hes been in the league with production

that's a HIT ON A RS SOPHOMORE COMING INTO THE NFL. The guy is only 24 and has plenty of production already

ya, he's pretty good

mcaj22 01-05-2013 12:57 AM

this thread just puts in perspective how AWFUL Scott Pioli's 4 draft years have been

MAYBE NOT TO JEREMY MACLIN AS A SLIGHT TO ANDY REID

BUT WE HAVE JON ****ING BALDWIN AND DEXTER MCCLUSTER. If Maclin is a maybe not what the hell are those ****ing turds.

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283678)
Completely wrong. First rounders give you cornerstones. Look at the Patriots, Giants, and other teams who have picked at the bottom half of the draft for the past decade. They are all much more impressive than the Eagles.

Bullshit

aturnis 01-05-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283859)
Again as I stated in my original post. He has managed to draft some starting caliber players with his 1st rounders, but they are far from an impressive group. There are no stud players outside of McNabb in the group. You compare that to most of the other NFL teams and it is below average.

I REALLY REALLY think you need to rethink your definition of AVERAGE.

BradBigglestein 01-05-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9284064)
most Chiefs fans, that have been around a while, have a pr-condidtioned thing
in their brains that make them extremely pessimistic. It's easy to look for all of his faults and expect that to happen to us, since you know, we've been burned in the past. A lot.

It's a good hire. But having followed the guy for 14 years, I'm trying to give the lowdown to Chiefs fans as for what to expect. Both positively and negatively. So you aren't blindsided when the flaws become apparent. Now how excited you get about the move us up to the fans. I think you should be excited. He's a good coach and a proven winner.

RINGLEADER 01-05-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9283571)
14 years, 2 busts.

That's a pretty BIG deal.

Yeah, I don't get the point of this thread at all. Especially when you stack it up against the Chiefs over the past four years...

gta0012 01-05-2013 01:21 AM

Ried drafts best player available for the most part. He does not get into hype or listen all to well to what the media says. That is why he has built a solid team. However, I do feel he occasionally misses on higher risk/reward players. But he will Draft way better than anything we've had recently.

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9283868)
Hugh Janus, change ur name to Hugh's Anus ROFL

Shut the **** up, n00b

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284139)
It's a good hire. But having followed the guy for 14 years, I'm trying to give the lowdown to Chiefs fans as for what to expect. Both positively and negatively. So you aren't blindsided when the flaws become apparent. Now how excited you get about the move us up to the fans. I think you should be excited. He's a good coach and a proven winner.

No coach is perfect or without flaws, including the all-time greats.

This is the best Chiefs hire since 1989. Hopefully, he'll have success that Marty never found.

Now is not the time to criticizes the hire.

BossChief 01-05-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9284139)

Do you have a way of linking me to when the news guy was asking Reid about KCs quarterback position and he said "we have the first pick"?

NJChiefsFan 01-05-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9284158)
Do you have a way of linking me to when the news guy was asking Reid about KCs quarterback position and he said "we have the first pick"?

I asked him that the other day. He said he didn't have it or couldn't.

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 05:50 AM

My understanding on Reid at Philly is that he did not have much to do with FO and likes it this way. All NFL coaches have some input on FA/draftees because of the type of systems they run, but few actually have influence or "say".

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 06:00 AM

JFC people.

Are people really bitching over a coach that has more playoff wins in the last 14yrs, than this franchise does in it's entire history?

This may be the best hire we've had since Marty and people are going to bitch about his drafts? Let's talk about our drafts for a second. Let's talk about the 2009 draft or the 2011 draft or the 06 or 07 or any draft under Dick Vermeil.

This is a major improvement people....chill the **** out.

AussieChiefsFan 01-05-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284323)
JFC people.

Are people really bitching over a coach that has more playoff wins in the last 14yrs, than this franchise does in it's entire history?

This may be the best hire we've had since Marty and people are going to bitch about his drafts? Let's talk about our drafts for a second. Let's talk about the 2009 draft or the 2011 draft or the 06 or 07 or any draft under Dick Vermeil.

:clap:

Ace Gunner 01-05-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

JFC people.

http://www.scribbleoneverything.com/...artoon/bam.gif

TimeForWasp 01-05-2013 06:17 AM

SaveOurChiefsYetAgain.com

mlyonsd 01-05-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

JFC people.

Most excellent point.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 08:19 AM

Stop playing your Madden chise kid

htismaqe 01-05-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9284158)

It's buried in a mega-thread.

You could try searching for threads by him that contain the word "Eskin".

Rasputin 01-05-2013 08:52 AM

The one that matters most is taking a QB & hitting on the QB.

scho63 01-05-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shox (Post 9283539)
I recognize the Eagles have picked in the bottom third almost all the time, but if you look at this draft history there are really not very many standout names and few pro bowl players.

The first rounders are especially troubling.
2012 Fletcher Cox DT (TBD)
2011 Danny Watkins OL (TBD)
2010 Brandon Graham DE (TBD)
2009 Jeremy Maclin WR (???Maybe/Maybe not)
2008 no pick
2007 no pick
2006 Brodrick Bunkley DT (Hit)
2005 Mike Patterson DT (Hit)
2004 Shawn Andrews G (Hit)
2003 Jerome McDougle DE (Bust)
2002 Litto Sheppard DB (Hit)
2001 Freddie Mitchell WR (Bust)
2000 Cory Simon DT (Hit)
1999 McNabb (by far the cream of the crop)

I count 7 of 9 successes with the first picks at a low level due to all the playoff success. How the hell do you say you're troubled with the picks? I think you are just troubled......his picks have been pretty damn good IMHO

:hmmm:

Mr. Laz 01-05-2013 10:35 AM

This is were adding John Dorsey comes in handy.

jjchieffan 01-05-2013 11:22 AM

It's not just about drafting the studs. Other than a stud quarterback. Which Reid got in McNabb. Look at Carl Peterson. He managed to get several studs. DT, Neil Smith, Derrick Johnson, Tony Gonzales, for example. How many playoff wins did that get him? Bottom line he drafted a team that won in the postseason. I'll take his drafting any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Mr. Laz 01-05-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 9284802)
It's not just about drafting the studs. Other than a stud quarterback. Which Reid got in McNabb. Look at Carl Peterson. He managed to get several studs. DT, Neil Smith, Derrick Johnson, Tony Gonzales, for example. How many playoff wins did that get him? Bottom line he drafted a team that won in the postseason. I'll take his drafting any day of the week and twice on Sunday

so it's about getting the right 53?

splatbass 01-05-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9284506)
The one that matters most is taking a QB & hitting on the QB.

You want to hit on the QB? You like QBs that much?

Mr. Laz 01-05-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9284926)
You want to hit on the QB? You like QBs that much?

He is aching for a gigantic chocolate peen.

FloridaMan88 01-05-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

JFC people.

This.

Even by the OP's own analysis 7 of the 10 first round draft picks under Reid's HC tenure (that he gave non TBD grades to) he gave a passing grade to.

However since they apparently aren't HOF caliber players they aren't considered worthy draft picks by the OP's standard of grading.

Easy 6 01-05-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9284039)
Any draft weakness is negated significantly if John Dorsey is hired to be GM.

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 9284802)

Peterson didn't draft Neil Smith

whoman69 01-05-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9285095)

Dammit Carl!

slimdagreat 01-05-2013 06:52 PM

The flaw in this thread is thinking that draft success solely is measured in 1st round picks and ignoring all other picks.

jjchieffan 01-05-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9285095)

LOL. Oh yeah. Smith was drafted the year before he took over. Regardless, Peterson had Smith at his disposal and still failed to build a team that could win in the playoffs.

And BTW. Welcome back