ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do Target workers deserve a shortened Black Friday? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266718)

BossChief 11-17-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9125171)
A big sales day like that? I bet the store manager is there.

He SHOULD be if they are telling the average joes they have to be.

LoneWolf 11-17-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125160)
Most major retailers pay "holiday pay" which is a guaranteed 8 hours on top of your normal pay.

I don't consider "holiday pay" on the same level as overtime pay. I a worker qualifies for holiday pay, they will receive that pay whether they work that day or not. You can't consider this as extra pay for that day because it is pay they would receive anyway. For the hours that the employee is actually working they are getting paid their normal wage.

IMO the only businesses that should be open on major holidays are the ones that are necessary for quality of life, i.e. hospitals, fire departments, police departments, etc. . . Nobody "needs" to shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or any other major retailer on Thanksgiving day. If all major retailers would come up with some sort of rule that they all stay closed on major holidays, their businesses wouldn't be affected negatively either. People would just have to wait an extra day to buy all the cheap products manufactured in China.

ThaVirus 11-17-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125106)
So overnight workers are shocked they have to work overnight on one of the busiest days? LOL

And you guys aren't paying close attention. Target is NOT trying to one up Wal-mart or other stores because they are one of the ones not opening at 8 pm. Sure they don't want to miss out but they are least opening an hour later. And this crap about them getting there a few hours early? Maybe management but the regular workers have no reason to get there before 8:30 if the place was prepared properly the day and night before.

I can tell you have reading comprehension issues. I never said they were shocked or made any mention of her reaction, bud. I included it because I wanted to highlight that it was a forced issue. They have no say as to whether or not they'll have the day off. IN MY OPINION, that blows, BUT I continued on in my initial post saying that I understand it is somewhat expected at retail stores so it will be up to the employees to deal with their situation as they see fit.

How is this not an attempt to one up each other? Two years ago Wal-Mart opened at midnight, last year they opened at 10 PM and this year they're opening at 8 PM with Target following suit and opening at 9 PM.

|Zach| 11-17-2012 01:52 PM

Lots of people are really obsessed with projecting how they think private people and companies should act.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125159)
If they don't have to be to the store until 7 or 8pm, they need to STFU and go to work. I was under the impression that they would have to be there much earlier.

Here is my question, though.

Does the store manager have to be there at the same time as the average Joe workers? I'm not talking about dept managers or mid level guys...does the store manager have to work that night?

Oh you know they will make an appearance to stay in good with the district manager but I am sure any manager that is not a n00b won't be spending the whole shift there.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:00 PM

Hell we have to work the Wednesday night before thanksgiving and I have been hung out on a long run until 11 am on Thanksgiving day with no sleep and I have been working there 18 years...

Shit happens

BossChief 11-17-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9125180)
I don't consider "holiday pay" on the same level as overtime pay. I a worker qualifies for holiday pay, they will receive that pay whether they work that day or not. You can't consider this as extra pay for that day because it is pay they would receive anyway. For the hours that the employee is actually working they are getting paid their normal wage.

IMO the only businesses that should be open on major holidays are the ones that are necessary for quality of life, i.e. hospitals, fire departments, police departments, etc. . . Nobody "needs" to shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or any other major retailer on Thanksgiving day. If all major retailers would come up with some sort of rule that they all stay closed on major holidays, their businesses wouldn't be affected negatively either. People would just have to wait an extra day to buy all the cheap products manufactured in China.

I think wal mart should be widespread boycotted, anyways. Damn near everything there used to be made in the USA and that's what made it great, now they are just exploiting this country and making it borderline impossible to maintain small business.

Asa far as your holiday pay argument, I don't really agree with you. The economy is what it is and companies are doing what they can this year to maintain their workforces while staying profitable. Otherwise those people might not have those jobs to worry about next year. If a company is willing to pay you twice for working and is being reasonable with the timing of said request, STFU and go to work.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:02 PM

People better support the little guy (I do) because when all of the little guys are gone, wally world will set the prices where they want.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2012 02:06 PM

Soldiers are dying nearly everyday overseas so you slobs can stand in line at Best Buy at 3am to get $50 off that Sony HDTV and Skylanders for nephew Johnny. Merry Christmas!

BossChief 11-17-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125200)
Oh you know they will make an appearance to stay in good with the district manager but I am sure any manager that is not a n00b won't be spending the whole shift there.

If I worked there and the store manager himself wouldn't at least show up for a couple hours, neither would I.

L.A. Chieffan 11-17-2012 02:09 PM

These people are peasants really. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion.

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9125182)
I can tell you have reading comprehension issues. I never said they were shocked or made any mention of her reaction, bud. I included it because I wanted to highlight that it was a forced issue. They have no say as to whether or not they'll have the day off. IN MY OPINION, that blows, BUT I continued on in my initial post saying that I understand it is somewhat expected at retail stores so it will be up to the employees to deal with their situation as they see fit.

How is this not an attempt to one up each other? Two years ago Wal-Mart opened at midnight, last year they opened at 10 PM and this year they're opening at 8 PM with Target following suit and opening at 9 PM.

So they aren't shocked, who cares. The point is that of all people, those who sign up to work over night at a retail store have absolutely nothing to say here. You clearly gave that story because they are forced to work the holiday as if that is something unexpected or unjust. Why should overnight workers have any say in whether or not they work overnight on one of the stores busiest days?

By definition an attempt to one up other retailers would be them opening at the same time or earlier. They knew when the competition was opening but they at least delayed it an hour.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125221)
If I worked there and the store manager himself wouldn't at least show up for a couple hours, neither would I.

Well man it's like this.... They probably have a stack of applications 5 foot tall, you can do anything you want, you are not under contract.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2012 02:12 PM

I think I've got more of a problem with this Current American culture of shopping madness which has brought all this about. The stores are just reacting to shopper demand.

Why can't customers and families just wait until Friday at 8 or 9 am to start shopping?

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9125216)
Soldiers are dying nearly everyday overseas so you slobs can stand in line at Best Buy at 3am to get $50 off that Sony HDTV and Skylanders for nephew Johnny. Merry Christmas!

So your saying that if you buy the TV at regular price at 3 pm you are supporting soldiers but if you buy the sale price at 3 am you aren't? I guess you don't have a TV, computer, or cell phone then.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 02:14 PM

I think it's ridiculous they are opening on Thanksgiving. Definitely not going to shop on Thanksgiving. Hopefully nobody else does.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9125239)
I think I've got more of a problem with this Current American culture of shopping madness which has brought all this about. The stores are just reacting to shopper demand.

Why can't customers and families just wait until Friday at 8 or 9 am to start shopping?

Brick and Mortar are doing everything they can do to compete with cybersales.

90% of the stuff I buy comes from the internet because I don't like to pay sales tax

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

Unless you are a person that has advocated for movie theater people working holidays in the past all you people complaining about this should just STFU now.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:17 PM

I remember when I was a kid it was hard to find any store open on Thanksgiving and if it was after 12 noon , everything was closed.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125250)
Unless you are a person that has advocated for movie theater people working holidays in the past all you people complaining about this should just STFU now.

Who advocates for that? When did movie theater holiday openings become normal?

Brock 11-17-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I really don't see the problem either. Some businesses are open holidays and have their biggest days on holidays.

Brock 11-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125254)
I remember when I was a kid it was hard to find any store open on Thanksgiving and if it was after 12 noon , everything was closed.

Yes, and it sucked.

BossChief 11-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125209)
People better support the little guy (I do) because when all of the little guys are gone, wally world will set the prices where they want.

Exactly.

1) most of their products are bought from China
2) the quality of their products is crap and that's why they are cheap
3) most of their full time employees have to be on government assistance
4) the cost of their products close the doors of the places that well products that are still made in the USA

I could probably go on and list 20 more, but I don't want to derail the original thread with shit that's been beaten to death in other threads..

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9125255)

Movie theaters have been opened holidays as long as I can remember yet people don't complain about that. Unless a person has advocated for them, they have no room to complain about the retail companies opening early here.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125159)
If they don't have to be to the store until 7 or 8pm, they need to STFU and go to work. I was under the impression that they would have to be there much earlier.

Here is my question, though.

Does the store manager have to be there at the same time as the average Joe workers? I'm not talking about dept managers or mid level guys...does the store manager have to work that night?

Store managers, to my understanding, don't get very many holidays off at all. They're there all the time.

And I think that's a pretty insensitive position to say that any worker who complains about working at 7 or 8 pm ON THANKSGIVING is suddenly forced to work those hours. I don't work in retail. I am thankful that I can eat a heavy dinner at a reasonable hour and get ****ed up on wine and booze with my family and friends.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125263)
Exactly.

1) most of their products are bought from China
2) the quality of their products is crap and that's why they are cheap
3) most of their full time employees have to be on government assistance
4) the cost of their products close the doors of the places that well products that are still made in the USA

I could probably go on and list 20 more, but I don't want to derail the original thread with shit that's been beaten to death in other threads..

I despise Wally World, I hate even going in there, nothing but a bunch of chinese shit..... Sometimes I go in and showroom their knives in sporting goods (gerber makes pretty good knives) then I go buy it online.

You see something online at walmart for say 99 bucks , you go to the walmart they tell you its 109.00 , you have to go back home and buy it online and go back to the same damn store to pick it up...

Dumb shit..

kcpasco 11-17-2012 02:28 PM

Just call in and say grandmas turkey was way under cooked and you can't get off the shitter.

Problem solved

Bearcat 11-17-2012 02:30 PM

If family is so important, maybe they should make it a point to see them more than twice a year? :shrug:

|Zach| 11-17-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9125255)

For as long as I can't remember. They are big nights for movie theaters. Lots of families hit a movie in the evenings together on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Bowling is also popular.

I have maximum job flexability worked at a job where working those holidays was just part of it...you knew it going in and it wasn't at all a big deal. Was actually somewhat enjoyable because everyone at these places was close. Like the holidays with a second family.

I also have a laid back family that celebrates the holidays whenever it is easiest to get together. A lot of times that was the day after Christmas. Oh well...good times still had by all.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:31 PM

Also you knew it when you took the job

mnchiefsguy 11-17-2012 02:31 PM

No, they do not.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125269)
Movie theaters have been opened holidays as long as I can remember yet people don't complain about that. Unless a person has advocated for them, they have no room to complain about the retail companies opening early here.

I can't think of very many people that wouldn't throw a shit fit if the Thanksgiving holiday they have always been allowed to have was forcably taken away from them.

kcpasco 11-17-2012 02:39 PM

If you really don't want to work that bad just call in sick.

As long as you don't have a history I don't think the company can do much

Discuss Thrower 11-17-2012 02:39 PM

They signed up for the job, there'll be times it will suck to work.

That being said, it's absolutely thickening how ridiculous Black Friday has become in this culture. I get trying to save money but I'd hope there would be a better way.

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125292)
I can't think of very many people that wouldn't throw a shit fit if the Thanksgiving holiday they have always been allowed to have was forcably taken away from them.

I'm pretty sure they are opening at 9 pm not 9 am so let's not act like it's the whole holiday...

But anyways, I get workers being upset but the people here that are throwing fits are not the workers so the point remains that unless they can say they have always advocated for movie theater workers in the same situation they should just shut up.

Bearcat 11-17-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9125304)

That being said, it's absolutely thickening how ridiculous Black Friday has become in this culture. I get trying to save money but I'd hope there would be a better way.

Yep, be thankful for what you have and then go out and buy a bunch of shit. I found some good deals online last year, but there's no way in hell I'd go anywhere a retail store.

Bugeater 11-17-2012 02:57 PM

Yes, the Black Friday nonsense is out of control. No, they shouldn't be forced to work. And what goes on in movie theaters has absolutely nothing to do with this.

stevieray 11-17-2012 03:00 PM

Thanksgiving= a day to be thankful for what I have

Black Friday= I need more!!!!!!!!

:doh!:

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125311)
I'm pretty sure they are opening at 9 pm not 9 am so let's not act like it's the whole holiday...

But anyways, I get workers being upset but the people here that are throwing fits are not the workers so the point remains that unless they can say they have always advocated for movie theater workers in the same situation they should just shut up.

Movie theater workers signed up for the job, knowing that was the expectation. And let's be real here, the amount of employees to run a movie theatre isn't remotely close to the amount you'll need to run a retail store on Thanksgiving.

Target workers did not sign up for this. And saying it's 9pm... I know I would be pissed if I know I had to drink less on Thanksgiving night because my boss FORCED me to go to work that day. And it was because my company decided to make up a policy this year that stripped me of a holiday. I am lucky and thankful to work for a company that knows I work hard all year long, but that believes in giving me time on the holidays for my family.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9125304)

They didn't sign up for this.

They took the job with the expectation that Thanksgiving was off. Now the company is trying to take away a holiday.

It's easy for us to talk about this when you're on the outside. I know every one of my co-workers would throw an absolute shit fit if they were forced to work on Thanksgiving.

ThaVirus 11-17-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125230)
So they aren't shocked, who cares. The point is that of all people, those who sign up to work over night at a retail store have absolutely nothing to say here. You clearly gave that story because they are forced to work the holiday as if that is something unexpected or unjust. Why should overnight workers have any say in whether or not they work overnight on one of the stores busiest days?

By definition an attempt to one up other retailers would be them opening at the same time or earlier. They knew when the competition was opening but they at least delayed it an hour.

I forgot to say that, if I remember right, they told them all that they'd be there overnight on Wednesday night/Thursday morning there normal hours (1 AM- 8 AM) to stock everything up, but that they'd also be scheduled later on in the day in order to open at 9 PM. Not sure if that changes anything for you but THAT'S the shitty part I was talking about.

What do you think Wal-Mart's earlier opening hours was in essence? They're doing it to get a leg up on the competition. Not the exact definition of "one-upping" but pretty damn close. Target is just following suit because they have to. But hey, they're opening an hour later than Wal-Mart; they must really care about their employees holidays, right!?

Quote:

Movie theaters are a bit different to me. First of all, as you mentioned, movie theaters have been open on holidays as long as I can remember. These retail employees were, until very recently, allowed to enjoy their holidays before dealing with the Black Friday madness. Secondly, and this is more a reflection of the culture of Black Friday than anything as others have pointed out, but a holiday spent at the movies or bowling alley with the family is so ridiculously different than running out to your local Wally World to get that TV you've wanted for cheap.

I don't like where it's heading; that's the problem I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125292)

And this basically sums up my thoughts a lot more succinctly.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9125359)
Thanksgiving= a day to be thankful for what I have

Black Friday= I need more!!!!!!!!

:doh!:

Yup!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attac...9&d=1353186940

ThaVirus 11-17-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125386)
Target workers did not sign up for this..

Also something to think about, a lot of times, the hours for Black Friday openings are kept under wraps until very near the holiday. My friend told me that they were told they'd opening at 9 PM on Thanksgiving only a couple weeks ago. I did a quick Google search of Wal-Mart's opening hours in 2011 and the front page had people asking (Yahoo! Answers) as late as November 9th.

lewdog 11-17-2012 03:30 PM

I think black Friday is reeruned and I have never once shopped on that day. However, some people just have to work on that day (many professions) and if you don't think retail is one of those, you are stupid.

ThaVirus 11-17-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125475)
I think black Friday is reeruned and I have never once shopped on that day. However, some people just have to work on that day (many professions) and if you don't think retail is one of those, you are stupid.

Black Friday isn't the issue, dude. It's Thanksgiving.

lewdog 11-17-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9125483)

I have to work on both days, so I still don't see the deal.

Simply Red 11-17-2012 03:40 PM

these are the people you count on when you furnish your wardrobe Clay - you should be ashamed calling them 'slobs' - shame on you.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125492)

If you took your job knowing this then I don't think it's a big deal. But if your employer changed their policy to require you to work then I think it is. Freakin retailers are open 363 other days. What is two freakin days off to them?

Seriously, has our conspicuous consumption society become so jaded that we can't even allow for TWO FREAKING DAYS to celebrate with family, community, or church? And if it has, what does that say about us?

NJChiefsFan 11-17-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125492)

What is your job? The deal here is that people have to work on Thanksgiving because Target wants to leak black Friday into Thursday night.

I managed a movie theater through college. Everyone we hired knew they were going to work late, weekends, and holidays(3 shifts out of the 5 between Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Day, and New Years Eve/Day). The issue is a lot of places don't have this expectation. Knowing you will have to work every Black Friday and now being asked to work Thanksgiving night because Black Friday is now Black Thursday is a legit gripe IMO. I wouldn't quit over it, but if people were rallying to stop it I would be behind them.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9125483)

It's never going to change unless the customers refused to go to the stores.

The people to blame are the customers in my mind.:thumb:

Hammock Parties 11-17-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9125500)
these are the people you count on when you furnish your wardrobe Clay - you should be ashamed calling them 'slobs' - shame on you.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

lewdog 11-17-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125503)
If you took your job knowing this then I don't think it's a big deal. But if your employer changed their policy to require you to work then I think it is. Freakin retailers are open 363 other days. What is two freakin days off to them?

Seriously, has our conspicuous society become so jaded that we can't even allow for TWO FREAKING DAYS to celebrate with family, community, or church? And if it has what does that say about us?

Technically they said we have 6 paid holidays off, however, someone has to do therapy due to medicare laws. Since I am new there, I am likely expected to work as many of my colleagues will probably take it off.

A day is a day. I can save PTO and take time off at some other time to spend time with my family since I will be working holidays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9125504)
What is your job? The deal here is that people have to work on Thanksgiving because Target wants to leak black Friday into Thursday night.

I managed a movie theater through college. Everyone we hired knew they were going to work late, weekends, and holidays(3 shifts out of the 5 between Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Day, and New Years Eve/Day). The issue is a lot of places don't have this expectation. Knowing you will have to work every Black Friday and now being asked to work Thanksgiving night because Black Friday is now Black Thursday is a legit gripe IMO. I wouldn't quit over it, but if people were rallying to stop it I would be behind them.

Speech Therapy. I think it is utterly reeruned that retailers are open Thanksgiving night but such is life. I was pretty sure I was going to be getting holidays off too when I accepted a new job but I realize now that work still has to be done on that day and I am "encouraged/expected" to work most holidays. Plus the increased pay doesn't hurt.

|Zach| 11-17-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125390)
I know every one of my co-workers would throw an absolute shit fit if they were forced to work on Thanksgiving.

They wouldn't be forced into anything. Can we stop saying this?

memyselfI 11-17-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125515)

I agree with this. I wish it would start becoming an embarrassing and shameful to be seen at these sales but instead it's trendy and all the rage. Even a guy being stampeded to death didn't stop people so a few people having to work on Thanksgiving evening won't.

I may shop online on Thanksgiving Day. I suppose some IT guy is having to give up time with his family to make sure the company website doesn't crash. However, I will NOT shop at a brick and mortar store on Thanksgiving Day unless it's a drug store like Walgreens or CVS which never closes. Opening on Thanksgiving was a terrible precedent started amongst big box retailers by Kmart a number of years ago and I gave up shopping with them because of it.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125522)
Technically they said we have 6 paid holidays off, however, someone has to do therapy due to medicare laws. Since I am new there, I am likely expected to work as many of my colleagues will probably take it off.

A day is a day. I can save PTO and take time off at some other time to spend time with my family since I will be working holidays.

Speech Therapy. I think it is utterly reeruned that retailers are open Thanksgiving night but such is life. I was pretty sure I was going to be getting holidays off too when I accepted a new job but I realize now that work still has to be done on that day and I am "encouraged/expected" to work most holidays. Plus the increased pay doesn't hurt.

You have a high demand of patients on Thanksgiving? :hmmm:

NJChiefsFan 11-17-2012 03:54 PM

I wonder what kind of impact this would have on shoppers going to Target? Considering the stories and anger mom's have on Black Friday I doubt they would give one **** about the Target employees.

lewdog 11-17-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125533)
You have a high demand of patients on Thanksgiving? :hmmm:

Um yea, you have to see patients a certain amount of times during the week to meet medicare laws if they are receiving therapy. Health care knows no breaks.

lewdog 11-17-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125528)
I agree with this. I wish it would start becoming an embarrassing and shameful to be seen at these sales but instead it's trendy and all the rage. Even a guy being stampeded to death didn't stop people so a few people having to work on Thanksgiving evening won't.

I may shop online on Thanksgiving Day. I suppose some IT guy is having to give up time with his family to make sure the company website doesn't crash. However, I will NOT shop at a brick and mortar store on Thanksgiving Day unless it's a drug store like Walgreens or CVS which never closes. Opening on Thanksgiving was a terrible precedent started amongst big box retailers by Kmart a number of years ago and I gave up shopping with them because of it.

I definitely agree with this and I think it is ridiculous that stores are open on Thanksgiving and other holidays. I will never shop on these crazy days to score some deal with hundreds of other idiots. But such is life for many workers in today's society.

Bugeater 11-17-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125515)

Truth.

NJChiefsFan 11-17-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125551)
I definitely agree with this and I think it is ridiculous that stores are open on Thanksgiving and other holidays. I will never shop on these crazy days to score some deal with hundreds of other idiots. But such is life for many workers in today's society.

I don't shop on Black Friday either. If I had 3 or 4 kids that might change things.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9125523)
They wouldn't be forced into anything. Can we stop saying this?

No, Target recruits "volunteers" willing to take more pay to work the holiday. Because this is what the PR machine says, this is what we should believe. The groundswell of pissed off employees is clearly because they are upset because other employees are "volunteering" for Thanksgiving shifts.

Bugeater 11-17-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125539)
Um yea, you have to see patients a certain amount of times during the week to meet medicare laws if they are receiving therapy. Health care knows no breaks.

And you probably knew that going into your chosen field.

Gary 11-17-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9125004)
You took the job.

That's exactly why I quit Walgreens. They will take, take, and take some more...IF you let them. Life's all about choices and I made mine. Damn happy I did. I actually get to enjoy a life with my family again.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 04:01 PM

we can all sit here and point fingers but tell me if your wife forgot to buy a turkey roasting pan (cheap one) or the thick metal kind you buy from wally world . you know you would hop in the car and go get it and be just as guilty as anyone.

NJChiefsFan 11-17-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125564)
we can all sit here and point fingers but tell me if your wife forgot to buy a turkey roasting pan (cheap one) or the thick metal kind you buy from wally world . you know you would hop in the car and go get it and be just as guilty as anyone.

Figure out a way bitch. Football be on.

lewdog 11-17-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9125561)
And you probably knew that going into your chosen field.

Actually not really as I was told I get 6 paid holidays off. Catch being someone has to do therapy so plenty of us still work. I, however, will not complain about it or play the entitlement card. Work is work and it isn't always fair.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-17-2012 04:05 PM

Nah, but R8ers deserves a never-ending smorgasboard of delicious neg-rep. Won't you join me in providing for him this Holiday Season?

Gary 11-17-2012 04:06 PM

Every store I managed, I tried to make the holiday schedules as fair as possible. I put up sign up sheets for the employees and asst managers to pick 2 of the last 3 holidays(Thanksgiving, Xmas, & New Years) they preferred to work. I also kept track of how many holidays each employee worked, so on one was having to pull all the holidays while someone else always had them off. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best I could do within company guidelines.

Bugeater 11-17-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 9125563)
That's exactly why I quit Walgreens. They will take, take, and take some more...IF you let them. Life's all about choices and I made mine. Damn happy I did. I actually get to enjoy a life with my family again.

Problem is, more and more corporations are jumping on the "take, take, and take some more" bandwagon, and people have less options. I know...I know, they should just be happy to have a job.

NJChiefsFan 11-17-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 9125576)
Every store I managed, I tried to make the holiday schedules as fair as possible. I put up sign up sheets for the employees and asst managers to pick 2 of the last 3 holidays(Thanksgiving, Xmas, & New Years) they preferred to work. I also kept track of how many holidays each employee worked, so on one was having to pull all the holidays while someone else always had them off. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best I could do within company guidelines.

I did the same thing. As long as you do all you can and the employees know everyone will be asked to work an equal amount it usually works out alright.

BossChief 11-17-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9125575)
Nah, but R8ers deserves a never-ending smorgasboard of delicious neg-rep. Won't you join me in providing for him this Holiday Season?

Why?

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125587)
Why?

He asked me to exchange nude pics and I told him I didn't roll like that

Gary 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9125577)
Problem is, more and more corporations are jumping on the "take, take, and take some more" bandwagon, and people have less options. I know...I know, they should just be happy to have a job.

I agree and saw it firsthand at Walgreens. They reported 36 years of record profits through 2011 when I left there, yet they kept squeezing the proverbial rag looking for another drop out of their employees. I have dozens of instances I could reference detailing basically employee abuse at the district level and corporate level, but the employees just took it because they didn't want to put their jobs in jeopardy.
As I said, I made my choice to work there and I made my choice to leave. I am much happier now that I can have a life with my family and actually be around to watch my kids grow up.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-17-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125587)
Why?

He started it.

I'm ****ing finishing it.:harumph:

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:18 PM

This is simply all about corporate greed. There ARE still companies out there who close for freakin Sundays, for God's sake....literally. Chik-Fil-A, and Hobby Lobby come to mind and neither is hurting for business the last I checked.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9125580)
I did the same thing. As long as you do all you can and the employees know everyone will be asked to work an equal amount it usually works out alright.

There's a few things different here. First, it sounds like there wasn't much advanced notice for Target employees.

Second, it would be different if we were talking about casual Thanksgiving day shifts. First, I don't know if you're talking about night shifts. Second, are you talking about pre-black Friday shifts? Because those working 9pm on Thanksgiving are going to have to deal with a ton of pre-black Friday bullshit.

Gary 11-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9125595)
This is simply all about corporate greed. There ARE still companies out there who close for freakin Sundays, for God's sake....literally. Chik-Fil-A, and Hobby Lobby come to mind and neither is hurting for business the last I checked.

For God's sake indeed!!!

Gary 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9125596)
There's a few things different here. First, it sounds like there wasn't much advanced notice for Target employees.

Second, it would be different if we were talking about casual Thanksgiving day shifts. First, I don't know if you're talking about night shifts. Second, are you talking about pre-black Friday shifts? Because those working 9pm on Thanksgiving are going to have to deal with a ton of pre-black Friday bullshit.

The last year I was at Walgreens, corporate decided to make several normally non-24 hour stores stay open 24 hours starting Xmas eve and through Xmas day. That sucked because they did not give us more than a week's notice of the decision. Thank God my employees & I had a good working relationship and we figured out a way to make it up to those that I scheduled for that overnight shift.

memyselfI 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9125539)

Wow, I have NEVER heard of a doctors office open on Thanksgiving let alone a physical therapists office. Emergency services and Urgent care, yes but nothing like what you described.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

How come we don't cry for the policeman, fireman, hospital worker, military member, railroad worker, etc, who has to work on Thanksgiving, but yet we cry for the Target employee?