ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Pot Legal in Colorado and Washington for Recreational Use (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266302)

hometeam 11-07-2012 06:24 PM

Hooray! Ass backwards missouri will be ten years behind the rest of the country.

Ace Gunner 11-07-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9096753)
How are they going to legally test you for something that is not a controlled substance?

If your employer stipulates "no chocolate" and you refuse to empty your pockets, they have the right to dismiss. It's all about your employment agreement.

MeatRock 11-07-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9096753)
How are they going to legally test you for something that is not a controlled substance?

Because you would be under the influence of a drug, be it pot, prescription drugs, or w/e. They can claim that you could jeopardize the safety of others, depending on your occupation.

Ace Gunner 11-07-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9096764)
Because you would be under the influence of a drug, be it pot, prescription drugs, or w/e. They can claim that you could jeopardize the safety of others, depending on your occupation.

no, that's not how it works.

to be clear, there is no entity that has the "right" to search your piss unless you sign on for it.

don't you people have work contracts?

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 9096759)
If your employer stipulates "no chocolate" and you refuse to empty your pockets, they have the right to dismiss. It's all about your employment agreement.

Yup. BUT, constitutional or not, this is where you'll see the best version of the libertarian ideal that "discriminate or prohibit if you want, but at your own peril". Once marijuana is no longer prohibited, employers who choose to perform THC-based drug testing will only hurt themselves. There are plenty of immensely intelligent people I know who smoke marijuana, and employers only do themselves a disservice by prohibiting them from gainful employment. Abuse of heroine, crack, cocaine, I can see... but not weed.

hometeam 11-07-2012 06:33 PM

Most employers have you sign a waiver when you are hired that says they can piss test you, in all of these waivers it includes legal and illegal drugs, namely alchohol. So yes, employer can piss test you for anything they want, if you sign the waiver.

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9096764)

There is no testing -- at least in most civillian, "normal" jobs -- for alcohol or pharmaceuticals (that don't also match drug profiles, like Adderall), so why would employers only care about prohibited drugs? The abuse of oxy contin or alcohol are just as dangerous, or more so, than marijuana abuse. And in each case, the company should have trained their employees to spot workers who they suspect are under the influence. Weed has nothing to do with it.

tmax63 11-07-2012 06:35 PM

For most jobs in the government p-tests are a condition of employment and if you don't accept the conditions of employment you are not elgible to be hired.

MeatRock 11-07-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 9096772)
no, that's not how it works.

to be clear, there is no entity that has the "right" to search your piss unless you sign on for it.

don't you people have work contracts?

That's bullshit. An employer can, at anytime, mandate random urine test's for it's employees for any non-prescription drug use. They do have to give notice that the random test's are being utilized. If you don't like being tested, find a new job. Now, i am not sure how unions work with testings, but im sure the unions would have to have notice and agree to this.

The_Doctor10 11-07-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9096776)
Most employers have you sign a waiver when you are hired that says they can piss test you, in all of these waivers it includes legal and illegal drugs, namely alchohol. So yes, employer can piss test you for anything they want, if you sign the waiver.

And just out of curiousity, what is the recourse for an employer who finds out that you have tested positive for alcohol? Or any other legal substance? Seems like it would be grounds for a lawsuit unless the company could prove it was demonstrably harming your work.

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9096776)

You're absolutely right. The point is, as marijuana gains a level of national "acceptance" (or whatever term you'd prefer), companies will begin to treat the use of marijuana the way they currently treat alcohol; when both are legal, companies who choose not to employ users of either, effectively limit themselves on the types of people they hire. This can be detrimental, or to their favor-- the jury's still out. There are many companies that do not drug test-- Apple, most (non-physical labor) retail, many small businesses, etc-- and many that do.

teedubya 11-07-2012 06:42 PM

50,000 uses for Hemp...

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9096794)
And just out of curiousity, what is the recourse for an employer who finds out that you have tested positive for alcohol? Or any other legal substance? Seems like it would be grounds for a lawsuit unless the company could prove it was demonstrably harming your work.

Not if, by accepting that job, you have agreed that you will not use alcohol. You're ESPECIALLY screwed if you live in a right-to-work state. I'm a huge proponent of allowing companies to do whatever they want, but they do accept a level of risk when they don't hire certain people (see: Fitch, Abercrombie v non-whites), treat employees poorly (see Mart, Wal), or fail to see that people who recreationally or casually use drugs can still be professionally productive (see: Apple).

JohnnyHammersticks 11-07-2012 07:08 PM

If you'd like to know the true depth of hypocrisy of our federal government in terms of classifying cannabis as a drug with no medicinal value, take a look at the verbiage in US Patent 6630507, titled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants”, held by the US Government as represented by the Dept. of Health and Human Services.

The patent claims;
"Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.”

Our government knows that cannabis is effective against Alzheimer's, it's right there in black & white. Our government knows about the alarming Alzheimer's "epidemic" we're starting to experience in this country. Yet our government refuses to do anything about it, and we as a citizenry sit and do nothing. We allow ourselves to be brainwashed into thinking that voting for any candidate other than republican or democrat--which is the only way things are ever going to change--is "throwing our vote away". We deserve the shitshow masquerading as leadership that we get because we're the morons who keep electing them, even though we have alternatives available right there on the ballot.

The average American has the IQ of a prairie dog, and the scariest thing is, by definition, half of us are even dumber than that.

DaFace 11-07-2012 07:13 PM

For the record, the Colorado version at least has a specific statement that says employers can do whatever they want.

MeatRock 11-07-2012 07:26 PM

If George and Martha Washington smoked, then we all should be able to smoke, didn't you know that dude?

ElGringo 11-07-2012 08:48 PM

I also believe the lawmakers in these 2 states will delay the true passing of this bill even longer. I will preface this with you should not drive under the influence or while consuming any substance that may impair your judgement.

How will the enforce driving under the influence or open container. Will there be some sort of a "seal" on all packages of weed that once broken you can not transport that weed in your car. Such as for alcohol, if a container is open, you get a ticket. The other side of that is testing for those under the influence. In alcohol there are blood test, breath test, with marijuana there is no test to see if the person is currently under the influence, just if they have used it in most cases in the past 2 weeks or so.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-07-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9097119)
I also believe the lawmakers in these 2 states will delay the true passing of this bill even longer. I will preface this with you should not drive under the influence or while consuming any substance that may impair your judgement.

How will the enforce driving under the influence or open container. Will there be some sort of a "seal" on all packages of weed that once broken you can not transport that weed in your car. Such as for alcohol, if a container is open, you get a ticket. The other side of that is testing for those under the influence. In alcohol there are blood test, breath test, with marijuana there is no test to see if the person is currently under the influence, just if they have used it in most cases in the past 2 weeks or so.

Not in Washington. Full legalization of being in possession of an ounce of "usable marijuana" begins December 6th. And they sound like they're willing to fight the feds over it.

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/S...c=n&fb=y&can=n

Quote:

OLYMPIA, Wash. – The phone did not stop ringing in Olympia.

“Do you want to be a retailer, distributor, or manufacturer,” said Beth Lehman, as she talked to a caller in the Liquor Control Board Licensing Division office. She says dozens of people had called today in the aftermath of voter approved I-502.

The initiative will allow Washingtonians to possess an ounce of “usable marijuana” beginning on December 6.

However, the LCB has a year to devise a full licensing program, which includes a $250 application fee and a $1,000 annual renewal fee.

It could also been a boon for the department which nearly went bust due to the liquor privatization initiative last year.

“We will have to hire people. There will be staff expansion. How much we don’t know. We don’t know what the market will look like,” says Mikhail Carpenter, of the Liquor Control Board.

That’s because it’s still unclear if the Justice Department will try to curb cannabis use, which is still illegal under Federal law. It could potentially put State Employees in difficult position, licensing, and helping distribute an illegal substance.

U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan, through a spokesperson, wrote Wednesday that “enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged.”

“It does plainly set up a conflict with federal law,” said Seattle City Attorney Peter Holmes, “I guess I’m the eternal optimist it doesn’t require this to be a showdown.”

Dan Sytman, a spokesperson for the Washington State Attorney General’s Office, says, “Our position on all initiatives and referenda passed by the people is that they are legal.” He added that the office is prepared “to defend such measures in court.”

Read more about the WSLCB’s next steps:

http://www.liq.wa.gov/publications/M...02-11-7-12.pdf

hometeam 11-07-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9096794)

You have no recourse, you signed a consent to have your ass canned if you get caught on anything they deem necessary to put on that paper.

Any employer who piss tests has you sign a waiver in your hire packet. If they don't, then they can't piss test you. But they do. :evil:

ElGringo 11-07-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9097122)
Not in Washington. Full legalization of being in possession of an ounce of "usable marijuana" begins December 6th. And they sound like they're willing to fight the feds over it.

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/S...c=n&fb=y&can=n

This is interesting...would there be any way to keep private from the feds the names of those that got a license to sell or grow? Just think the feds would come in and get that list of names and go to town otherwise.

And thanks to whoever kept this out of DC...I don't even see that forum, and am really enjoying this thread, is an interesting topic that I believe many on this board are interested in.

BossChief 11-07-2012 09:00 PM

Those two states just added a billion dollars of tourism revenue to their states.

Minimum.

Snickers and Papa Johns are gonna blow up in those states. A smart man would look into what franchise opportunities are available...

hometeam 11-07-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9097132)
This is interesting...would there be any way to keep private from the feds the names of those that got a license to sell or grow? Just think the feds would come in and get that list of names and go to town otherwise.

And thanks to whoever kept this out of DC...I don't even see that forum, and am really enjoying this thread, is an interesting topic that I believe many on this board are interested in.

Well I would say in the near future with either of these states we are about to find out. Expect some shenanigan bullshit and a possible supreme court case.

My bet is that popular opinion, whether Democrat or Republican, will be that the Feds can **** out of states business.

petegz28 11-07-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9095231)
I can understand the Federal Government's right to police interstate commerce, but if the pot stays here in my state, I say they have no room to do anything to any individual.

It's a scam that my brother's friend, who is an attorney in CA has been fighting for years.

Here is how it works in CA:

1. Legalize medical mary-jane
2. Open shops, farms, etc.
3. Feds bust in, arrest you and take everything you own
4. While you're waiting on your court date your shit is auctioned off
5. You are finally found to be innocent but your shit is gone. No house, car, nothing. Plus you still owe your attorney and the courts

CNBC did a special on medical mary-jane about a year or two ago. According to that special, medical mj is almost single-handidly holding up the northern CA economy. Several small business owners who were going broke switched to selling medical pot.

One shop owner says he has paid $100's of $1,000's in taxes and his take is as long as you are paying your taxes at the Fed level and not trying to thumb your nose at the feds they will leave you alone.

DaFace 11-07-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9097119)

In Colorado, it goes into effect without any lawmaker impact on the personal consumption side. The retail side does require some State work, but if they don't do it by the beginning of 2014, I think it becomes an unregulated free-for-all.

Or something like that.

Great Expectations 11-07-2012 10:13 PM

http://www.blackradionetwork.com/mob...?storyID=14908

Pants 11-07-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 9095428)
Trust me. I drove the damn car. Maybe not every driver does that apply for this one it does.

You're either a complete dummy or completely full of shit. GTFO.

DaFace 11-07-2012 10:18 PM

I didn't even realize this was another friggen pot thread. What a goofy title.

Merged them all together.

Cannibal 11-07-2012 10:45 PM

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), most employers will continue hire and fire based on testing for it. So this doesn't really affect people who actually work for living.

nychief 11-07-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9097441)
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), most employers will continue hire and fire based on testing for it. So this doesn't really affect people who actually work for living.

Yep, people who smoke pot...never work.

Buck 11-07-2012 10:47 PM

How is this not happening in California right now?

Cannibal 11-07-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9097443)

I didn't see that. But many wont be able to due employer drug screening whether weed is legal or not.

I'm still a fan of legalization though.

DenverChief 11-07-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9097441)

All it will take is one lawsuit - legal substance - employer can't prohibit my after work consumption - case closed

Insurance companies OTOH can make their lives miserable with really high premiums

Simply Red 11-07-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9097443)

posting like a bauce

FAX 11-07-2012 11:51 PM

This must be the longest marijuana was just legalized for recreational use in Oregon and Washington thread of all times!

It's great news. The potato chip and soda pop manufacturers must be ecstatic. If the feds will give those states a break and let them experiment with these laws for a few years, I'm confident they will find that violent crime will decrease dramatically as will gang activity. And, of course, if they plan to tax the bejeesus out of pot, the states will be rolling in cash money ... mostly fives and ones, though.

From the very beginning, the "war on drugs" was as stupid as Vietnam or any other bogus-ass conflict the feds decided to wage ... and that we were bound to lose. Now, if Tennessee will just legalize black Lebanese hashish, I will be happy.

FAX

petegz28 11-07-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9097579)
This must be the longest marijuana was just legalized for recreational use in Oregon and Washington of all times!

It's great news. The potato chip and soda pop manufacturers must be ecstatic. If the feds will give those states a break and let them experiment with these laws for a few years, I'm confident they will find that violent crime will decrease dramatically as will gang activity. And, of course, if they plan to tax the bejeesus out of pot, the states will be rolling in cash money ... mostly fives and ones, though.

From the very beginning, the "war on drugs" was as stupid as Vietnam or any other bogus-ass conflict the feds decided to wage ... and that we were bound to lose. Now, if Tennessee will just legalize black Lebanese hashish, I will be happy.

FAX

They were going to put this on the ballot in NY until Bloomberg banned sodas larger than 16oz!!!! 16oz < cottonmouth

FAX 11-07-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9097586)
They were going to put this on the ballot in NY until Bloomberg banned sodas larger than 16oz!!!!

Oops. I left out the word, "thread".

But to your point, Mr. petegz28; it's only a matter of time until the States of Oregon and Washington legalize 5,420oz soda pops.

FAX

Dayze 11-07-2012 11:56 PM

i honestly don't understand why weed is illegal in the first place.

yet, the nation is addicted to prescription pills for virtually every ailment you can imagine.

Dayze 11-07-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9097589)
Oops. I left out the word, "thread".

But to your point, Mr. petegz28; it's only a matter of time until the States of Oregon and Washington legalize 5,420oz soda pops.

FAX

16oz sodas are a gateways.

petegz28 11-08-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9097591)

yet, the nation is addicted to prescription pills for virtually every ailment you can imagine.

Do I need to post the Chris Rock explanation of this?

They don't want you taking your drugs. They want you taking THEIR drugs

FAX 11-08-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9097591)

Prescription opiates are an absolute freaking epidemic in this country. Doctors are doling out opiates like there was no tomorrow and morphine is one of the cheapest drugs you can buy at a pharmacy.

Not to mention, of course, the plague of antidepressants and various mood-altering compounds (whose pharmacology isn't even completely understood in many cases).

Yet you can't smoke a reefer? Yeah ... that makes a whole lot of sense.

Of course, it's the Amerikan people who allow this nonsense to happen in the first place, let alone continue.

FAX

Dayze 11-08-2012 12:07 AM

lol. That pretty much sums it up.

Dayze 11-08-2012 12:08 AM

I saw the movie "Reefer Madness" at 1/2 Price books the other day when we were selling a bunch of books; it was like $4......I knew I should've bought it.

dang it.

Simply Red 11-08-2012 12:17 AM

Did this really happen? I'm researched out. Also, i've yet to really read the thread, can someone confirm?

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 04:07 PM

Holy shit! Washington is not ****ing around with this shit. The AG has already come out and said any initiative passed by the people is considered viable law to the AG office and they will defend it against the federal government.

Now today, according to KING 5 news' Facebook page, the King County (the largest in the state, home of Seattle) prosecutor has come out and said he's dropping every misdemeanor marijuana charge going on right now due to the passing of I-502.

:clap: They are taking this ****ing bull by the horns, and I commend them for it. No more clogging the court system, and wasting taxpayer money on prosecuting simple possession of marijuana. Bravo!

Rain Man 11-09-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9097649)
Did this really happen? I'm researched out. Also, i've yet to really read the thread, can someone confirm?

It happened in Colorado. There are already construction cranes here building marijuana high-rises, and the marijuana dealers are buying out every Starbucks location.

memyselfI 11-09-2012 04:15 PM

This is great news. Now maybe we can start ending that ridiculous 'war on drugs' and start using that money to provide other services desperately needed in this country.

Dayze 11-09-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9101830)
Holy shit! Washington is not ****ing around with this shit. The AG has already come out and said any initiative passed by the people is considered viable law to the AG office and they will defend it against the federal government.

Now today, according to KING 5 news' Facebook page, the King County (the largest in the state, home of Seattle) prosecutor has come out and said he's dropping every misdemeanor marijuana charge going on right now due to the passing of I-502.

:clap: They are taking this ****ing bull by the horns, and I commend them for it. No more clogging the court system, and wasting taxpayer money on prosecuting simple possession of marijuana. Bravo!

awesome.

ToxSocks 11-09-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9101830)

/tear

Damn allergies.

Dayze 11-09-2012 04:18 PM

though, it's only a matter of time before black people start freaking out and raping people. and white people hiding in closets smoking and freaking out.
~

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 04:19 PM

:bong:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SIUw4ZS1J_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

memyselfI 11-09-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9101870)
though, it's only a matter of time before black people start freaking out and raping people. and white people hiding in closets smoking and freaking out.
~

Or all of these potheads start shooting heroin. Can't forget that it's a gateway drug. :rolleyes:

alnorth 11-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9097649)

Yes it did. This is pretty big news, to the point where internationally other countries are going "the USA did what?!?"

Its still illegal under federal law. People growing and selling it are taking a huge risk of being busted by the feds. However, the individual user is probably safe because there are not enough federal agents to bust more than a tiny fraction of users, they depend on the local cops for that.

In CO and WA, the cops will now say "screw it, we're out, good luck if the feds catch you, but we won't bother you"

regarding the courts, this is not the sort of thing that can be overturned. CO and WA are powerless to stop the feds from enforcing federal law, BUT the feds can not force WA and CO cops to enforce marijuana prohibition if they want to make it legal under state law. The feds are now totally on their own in those 2 states.

ToxSocks 11-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9101897)
Or all of these potheads start shooting heroin. Can't forget that it's a gateway drug. :rolleyes:

Personally, i can't wait till rape is legal.

Hell yeah!

alnorth 11-09-2012 04:37 PM

That WA law should be a model for the nation. They are taxing the hell out of it to pay for MJ addiction and treatment programs, PSA's to recommend not smoking, etc. Also, they set a legal limit for THC where if your blood tests higher than x amount, you are legally intoxicated and can get in trouble just like driving drunk. So, don't drive stoned.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9101929)
That WA law should be a model for the nation. They are taxing the hell out of it to pay for MJ addiction and treatment programs, PSA's to recommend not smoking, etc. Also, they set a legal limit for THC where if your blood tests higher than x amount, you are legally intoxicated and can get in trouble just like driving drunk. So, don't drive stoned.

The only problem with the blood part is that according to levels they have in place, you could technically be considered impaired the day after. That's a huge down side to the initiative. That said, I believe they'll get it right after some tinkering by trial and error.

alnorth 11-09-2012 04:56 PM

I've been wondering why Oregon rejected legalizing MJ since they are bluer than CO, but it looks like there were two problems in Oregon. First, they didn't have wealthy donors supporting it like in the other 2 states so the no side could beat it more easily. Second, the OR law was a little wacky, it would have directed the state to sell pot in state-owned shops. THAT would have been a serious problem and something the feds could have probably shut down.

DaFace 11-09-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9101985)
I've been wondering why Oregon rejected legalizing MJ since they are bluer than CO, but it looks like there were two problems in Oregon. First, they didn't have wealthy donors supporting it like in the other 2 states so the no side could beat it more easily. Second, the OR law was a little wacky, it would have directed the state to sell pot in state-owned shops. THAT would have been a serious problem and something the feds could have probably shut down.

Yeah, I thought the Washington law was best, followed by Colorado, then Oregon. I really wish that the Colorado law wasn't an amendment for one. I also like the symmetry of having funds go to treatment like you said (though I'm all for schools getting a boost too - it just doesn't seem as logical).

loochy 11-09-2012 05:17 PM

Wait...in some places you can buy weed but you can't buy a really big soda. wtf?

BlackHelicopters 11-09-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9102039)
Wait...in some places you can buy weed but you can't buy a really big soda. wtf?

But aren't the two related?

DRU 11-09-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9101897)

I'd have to say most people start with caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.

BWillie 11-09-2012 05:19 PM

So how do ppl buy the pot? Is it just legal to have 1 oz in your possession but nobody can sell it? That defeats the whole purpose of legalizing weed in the first place. The point of legalizing weed is to eliminate the drug violence and black market of it....a majority of which is run by Mexican Cartels perpetuating violence.

DRU 11-09-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9102049)
So how do ppl buy the pot? Is it just legal to have 1 oz in your possession but nobody can sell it? That defeats the whole purpose of legalizing weed in the first place. The point of legalizing weed is to eliminate the drug violence and black market of it....a majority of which is run by Mexican Cartels perpetuating violence.

You can grow your own, for one, and that's only one point to be made by this. It'll be regulated and sold/taxed very similar to alcohol, so not only will tax dollars be wasted prosecuting non-violent criminals, but they'll generate a mountain of new tax dollars as well.

Hemp production will be a huge part of all this, too, which I think people have mentioned already.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 05:22 PM

In Washington they are currently taking applications for manufacturers, distributors, and so on. $250 application fee, and $1000 renewable license. Tax rates to follow. It's still sketchy. They're eeking this out with about 1 month before the law takes place. But this shit is going to be in 7-11's.

DaFace 11-09-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9102049)

You clearly haven't walked around Denver recently. It was already 90% legal here anyway under the guise of medical marijuana. It'll be 2014 before "recreational" shops are set up here, but it'll basically be the same as a liquor store setup (but probably with more regulations).

DRU 11-09-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9101985)

They also have families there that have been growing for decades making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year selling their product (which has such high value because it's illegal). Legalizing it would limit their profitability and bring lots of competition to the area.

DaFace 11-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9102059)
In Washington they are currently taking applications for manufacturers, distributors, and so on. $250 application fee, and $1000 renewable license. Tax rates to follow. It's still sketchy. They're eeking this out with about 1 month before the law takes place. But this shit is going to be in 7-11's.

Really? Not here (I don't think). I'm pretty pot shops will have to be dedicated, so we won't see it popping up in convenience stores or anything. I could be wrong though.

BlackHelicopters 11-09-2012 05:27 PM

Pot in 7-11? Perhaps God does exist.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9102072)
Really? Not here (I don't think). I'm pretty pot shops will have to be dedicated, so we won't see it popping up in convenience stores or anything. I could be wrong though.

I need to double check for WA as well. I heard that, but am not positive. Don't break out the cheetos, and goldfish just yet. :D

ToxSocks 11-09-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9102059)
But this shit is going to be in 7-11's.

OHHEMMGEE

WTF California, why haven't we done this yet????

Bump 11-09-2012 05:31 PM

I want to live in a world where I can buy my big gulps, cigs, slim jims and weed all in the same place.

DaFace 11-09-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9102080)
I want to live in a world where I can buy my big gulps, cigs, slim jims and weed all in the same place.

That sounds dangerous. You'd certainly not want to go back after partaking in the weed. You'd buy the whole damn store before you knew what the heck you were doing.

Bump 11-09-2012 05:32 PM

I actually just got back from the 7/11 kinda stoned, lol. There was a cop in there and he did that look behind him to check me out buying soda and airheads lol.

BWillie 11-09-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9102065)
You clearly haven't walked around Denver recently. It was already 90% legal here anyway under the guise of medical marijuana. It'll be 2014 before "recreational" shops are set up here, but it'll basically be the same as a liquor store setup (but probably with more regulations).

Nope, that is good to hear then. As long as there are many legal options to obtain marijuana this is a great thing.

ToxSocks 11-09-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9102082)
That sounds dangerous. You'd certainly not want to go back after partaking in the weed. You'd buy the whole damn store before you knew what the heck you were doing.

Opposite effect for me.

Im the kinda stoner who stands in the aisle for 15 minutes trying to figure out which bag of chips he wants.

DaFace 11-11-2012 10:50 AM

http://i.imgur.com/TnLmy.jpg

BigMeatballDave 11-11-2012 10:59 AM

It'll be interesting to see how much revenue these states bring in once this gets going.

I think by 2015 you're going to see several states add this to ballots simply because of the potential revenue.

BlackHelicopters 11-11-2012 11:51 AM

Good luck finding a bank to collect the tax proceeds for a weed biz. Wake me when the Feds act.

Rain Man 11-11-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9102065)

This new measure is going to absolutely destroy the medical marijuana industry. I predict that 100 percent of medical marijuana dispensaries are going to close down.

Offsetting that, of course, is the fact that recreational marijuana stores with the same name, same ownership, and same customer base will open up in the same locations. So I guess the only real damage will be to the unethical doctors who wrote up marijuana prescriptions.

Rausch 11-11-2012 11:55 AM

So you can get all baked up and the Grand Canyon looks even more amazing...

Brock 11-11-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9105750)
This new measure is going to absolutely destroy the medical marijuana industry. I predict that 100 percent of medical marijuana dispensaries are going to close down.

Offsetting that, of course, is the fact that recreational marijuana stores with the same name, same ownership, and same customer base will open up in the same locations. So I guess the only real damage will be to the unethical doctors who wrote up marijuana prescriptions.

The MMJ industry will just become the MJ industry. Time did an article on this last month and these businesses are already for sale for huge money.