ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Manual or Automatic transmission..which do you prefer? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265504)

Frosty 10-22-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9038752)
I'm saying that the idea that coasting in neutral saves gas over coasting in gear, is a myth. You should coast in gear.

Agreed to a point. As mentioned, you can coast much farther in neutral than you can in gear so you have to consider that. I have some hills that I can't maintain speed in gear but can in neutral so I save gas over slowing down in gear and then having to accelerate back up to speed or just driving normally. You have to figure out when each method is best.

Radar Chief 10-22-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9038395)
What's efi?

I'd totally forgotten about starting the car with the clutch. My dad did that a few times with older cars when I was a teenager, and I thought it was magical. How did that work exactly?

It’s called a “bump start”, lots of race cars are still started that way.
With the ignition on put transmission in gear, first or second works best, push in the clutch and get the vehicle rolling. Once rolling along release the clutch and give the throttle a tap, it’ll usually fire right up.
You're just using the rolling wheels and transmission to spin the motor over to start it instead of the starter.

Frosty 10-22-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9038796)
It’s called a “bump start”, lots of race cars are still started that way.
With the ignition on put transmission in gear, first or second works best, push in the clutch and get the vehicle rolling. Once rolling along release the clutch and give the throttle a tap, it’ll usually fire right up.
You're just using the rolling wheels and transmission to spin the motor over to start it instead of the starter.

When I had my '66 Bug (with the 6V electrical system) in high school, I became a master of the bump start. I would always try to park on a hill or at least a long flat section. At home, I had to park at the top of the driveway. Then in the morning, I would push it to get it rolling, jump in and throw it in gear to try to start it and then slam on the brakes so I wouldn't crash into the garage door. It was a bad morning if I didn't get it the first time because I would have to push the car back up the driveway to try again. I was frequently late to first period.

HemiEd 10-22-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9038227)
Doesn't mopar drive you nuts with the constant slushboxes? I like so many of the SRT8 models (particularly the 300) and it makes me insane that every single god damn one is an auto (challenger excepted I guess). One thing I like about GM is they only made the CTS-V in manual, I wish Chrysler/Dodge would get on board. I would hope anyone buying a SRT vehicle would only want stick. My old man had a SRT Grand Cherokee, while it was definitely fast as shit, it got old so fast just smashing the gas pedal and feeling the front end "hover".

You are right, only the Challenger is offered with the Tremec 6 speed, odd. Many of the Charger owners would like to have a 3 pedal option.

I am surprised they don't offer it in the Dart, but guess they don't.

That being said, this auto in my Challenger is a pretty nice piece, guess it is made by a Daimler plant here in the states.

Brock 10-22-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9038459)
Electronic fuel injection.

I didn't know that either. I've hill-started my motorcycle a few times by popping the clutch and I know it's an EFI bike, so it must be exclusive to cars.

I guess if the car has been running the day before or something like that, there could be enough residual fuel to restart it via popping the clutch. I've had a few that hadn't been started in a couple of months, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Marcellus 10-22-2012 01:50 PM

My daily driver = automatic.

My Hot Rod = 5 -Speed. Yea you can't out shift an automatic but damn its fun trying.

ToxSocks 10-22-2012 01:57 PM

Paddle Shifted Automatic.

Best of both worlds.

We just finished off a car (Likely, our last full build we'll ever do) that was a paddle shifted 6 Speed Auto. 392 C.I with a single Turbonetics GT-K Turbocharger making about 700HP at the wheels.

DJ's left nut 10-22-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9039100)
My daily driver = automatic.

My Hot Rod = 5 -Speed. Yea you can't out shift an automatic but damn its fun trying.

I won't lie, I wish the '67 had a manual in it, but the wife wouldn't let me get it without an auto in case she wanted to drive it.

If you have the horsepower and the wherewithal, nothing beats a manual for pure exhilaration. That said, that doesn't make most of the old saws about the 'benefits' of a manual any more accurate.

That said, throwing a shift-kit in a 700r4 makes a torquey little beast in its own right. Sure, it downshifts into the wrong point in the power band if you're in 4th, but if can break the back end loose at 30 mph using nothing more than my foot when it drops down to first, so there's that...

DJ's left nut 10-22-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9039118)

Best of both worlds.

We just finished off a car (Likely, our last full build we'll ever do) that was a paddle shifted 6 Speed Auto. 392 C.I with a single Turbonetics GT-K Turbocharger making about 700HP at the wheels.

It's still not quite as satisfying as feeling that mechanical 'thunk' as you hammer through your shift points, but the flappy paddle is a nice middle-ground for most applications. And most of them will keep you from being too stupid and/or dropping from 5th to 2nd by overshooting the gate.

Frazod 10-22-2012 02:03 PM

If I lived in bumble**** nowhere I'd have a stick. They are fun.

They are not fun, however, when you're in heavy suburban Chicago traffic 95%of the time.

kaplin42 10-22-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9037849)
Real men row their own.

That being said, I'll give a pass to suv/truck drivers as a manual is really just a pain in that type of vehicle.

This last May I bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. I had scoped out what I wanted on the internet, walked on the lot told the sales guy what I was looking for, and said it had to be manual or I was leaving. Poor guy got the instant look of defeat on his face. Luckily he had ONE manual on the lot.

My reason for stick shift is this is my toy, and I go 4 wheeling in it, so I wanted a stick shift. I prefer them anyways, but I have to admit, in Los Angeles traffic, auto wins.

MIAdragon 10-22-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9039118)

Best of both worlds.

Disagree, my CTS-V is a PSA but its no where near as fun as the 6pd. Quite a bit quicker but less enjoyable.

Radar Chief 10-22-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9039190)
This last May I bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. I had scoped out what I wanted on the internet, walked on the lot told the sales guy what I was looking for, and said it had to be manual or I was leaving. Poor guy got the instant look of defeat on his face. Luckily he had ONE manual on the lot.

My reason for stick shift is this is my toy, and I go 4 wheeling in it, so I wanted a stick shift. I prefer them anyways, but I have to admit, in Los Angeles traffic, auto wins.

Welcome to the Jeeping world. :thumb:

kaplin42 10-22-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9039212)
Welcome to the Jeeping world. :thumb:

Why thank you sir, if I do say so myself, it is awesome. :rockon:

DaFace 10-22-2012 03:09 PM

I can understand the love of a manual if you really are an "enthusiast," as the OP refers to. However, from a purely practical standpoint, there's almost no reason to drive a manual these days except to save a bit of cash on the car and repairs.

HemiEd 10-22-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9039350)
I can understand the love of a manual if you really are an "enthusiast," as the OP refers to. However, from a purely practical standpoint, there's almost no reason to drive a manual these days except to save a bit of cash on the car and repairs.

Sorry to disagree, but those aren't necessarily true anymore either.

The 6 speed option on the Challenger was $1100 more IIRC, not sure if it still is.
Also, I dread the day my Ram needs a new clutch disc, and it WILL happen. Many automatics go very deep without any repairs.

Beef Supreme 10-22-2012 03:15 PM

I have owned way too many vehicles in my life and most of them were manual transmission, but then I got older and lazier, and it's easier to eat while driving with an Automatic.

DaFace 10-22-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9039370)
Sorry to disagree, but those aren't necessarily true anymore either.

The 6 speed option on the Challenger was $1100 more IIRC, not sure if it still is.
Also, I dread the day my Ram needs a new clutch disc, and it WILL happen. Many automatics go very deep without any repairs.

Yeah, it's true that even those aren't guarantees anymore.

Valiant 10-22-2012 03:27 PM

I don't know, my automatic sonata with shifter bars is certainly fun.. And will toast most stock manual cars without blinking that are not above 80k..

Ming the Merciless 10-22-2012 03:31 PM

Auto

Too much other shit to mess with while driving

CoMoChief 10-22-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9039422)
Auto

Too much other shit to mess with while driving

translation: I'm gay

Spott 10-22-2012 04:41 PM

Manual, although it's getting harder to find them.

BigMeatballDave 10-22-2012 04:48 PM

Manuals are fun until you have to drive in heavy traffic.

KCBOSS1 10-22-2012 04:54 PM

Depends on what I'm driving.... Older muscle car/sports car - Manual. Family Van, truck, all cross country driving.... automatic

Marcellus 10-22-2012 05:03 PM

I tell you this, after my daughter turned 16 and my step daughter came up on her 16th birthday it occured to me that making your kid drive a stick will serve many purposes.

One of them is keeping them off the damn phone when they are driving since it takes 2 hands.

I lost the battle though, both girls have automatics.

DaFace 10-22-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9039597)
Manuals are fun until you have to drive in heavy traffic.

Especially on hills. Manuals are a nightmare in ski traffic around here.

Frosty 10-22-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9039642)

Unless your car has Hill Holder like mine. :)

Actually, even without it, using the e-brake makes hills a non-factor.

BigMeatballDave 10-22-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9039642)

Yep.

I was good about holding the clutch/gas steady on hills. It's not good for the clutch, though.

mlyonsd 10-22-2012 05:53 PM

Manual. But most of South Dakota is flat.

Frazod 10-22-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9039764)
Manual. But most of South Dakota is flat.

It's not the flat that makes South Dakota good for a manual - it's the mostly empty.

MahiMike 10-22-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9037862)
Real men drive a stick, besides a manual transmission is more efficient.
Even with today’s multispeed automatics there is still less parasitic horsepower loss in a manual than an automatic transmission.

True dat. My daughter and I have same engines in our BMW's. My stick gets 30 mph. Hers 21.

BigMeatballDave 10-22-2012 10:24 PM

I remember when they came out with 4-speed automatics(AOD)in the 80s.

My car has a 6-speed automatic. Not sure why. Fuel economy, most likely.

Very little shift shock. Plus, at 80mph the engine is only running at 2500 RPMs.

TLO 10-22-2012 10:32 PM

6 speed manual in my Subaru. Only time I don't like it is in heavy traffic. Even then it doesn't bother me so much... I just feel like I am wearing the hell out of the clutch.

Bugeater 10-22-2012 10:50 PM

If I bought a car that was just for fun, it would be a manual. Unfortunately, due to my line of work I require vehicles that are utilitarian in nature and driven primarily in heavy city traffic, so they're automatics.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 10-23-2012 12:11 AM

Used to have a 2005 GTO, manual.

Sold it because I have a little boy now.

I miss having the torque to downshift into 3rd and pass almost anybody at will.

Some day, I will buy a Challenger and it will of course be a stick shift.

Silock 10-23-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 9039207)
Disagree, my CTS-V is a PSA but its no where near as fun as the 6pd. Quite a bit quicker but less enjoyable.

Stock or modded? Every place I can find a 1/4 mile for a CTS-V shows the manual to be quicker. Been researching them a lot, as I'm in the market for one.

Most every manual iteration of any car I look at is faster than its automatic counterpart.

007 10-23-2012 02:43 AM

As a teen and twentysomething, manual. AS a old fart, automatic.

Radar Chief 10-23-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9039709)
Yep.

I was good about holding the clutch/gas steady on hills. It's not good for the clutch, though.

Yea, riding the clutch like that is a good way to burn one up in a hurry.

MIAdragon 10-23-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9041763)
Stock or modded? Every place I can find a 1/4 mile for a CTS-V shows the manual to be quicker. Been researching them a lot, as I'm in the market for one.

Most every manual iteration of any car I look at is faster than its automatic counterpart.

Heh its not stock. The auto is FAR quicker than the manual. Here is a quick list. Its a little dated but you get the point.

http://home.comcast.net/~gnxs/Images...t_mod_list.jpg

MIAdragon 10-23-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9041763)

Not so much anymore. Take a peek at the new Mustang 5.0 the auto is consistently 3-4 tenths quicker. The new autos are wicked efficient.

Radar Chief 10-23-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 9042033)
Heh its not stock. The auto is FAR quicker than the manual. Here is a quick list. Its a little dated but you get the point.

http://home.comcast.net/~gnxs/Images...t_mod_list.jpg

If you’re into drag racing manuals can be hard to launch, especially when you’re making big power.
Motorcycle Drag Racing buddy bought a Pontiac GTO when they came out with the 6.0L LS2 in ’06, which is basically a Corvette chassis with a Pontiac body. When he went to buy they had two cars one with a 6 speed manual transmission the other an automatic. He said he wanted the manual but when he went to test drive it he gassed it hard and said it just spun tires like crazy and wouldn’t go anywhere. So he bought the automatic saying that when he turned the traction control on and gassed it hard the tires howled in complaint but it shot the car down the road very smartly.

COchief 10-23-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 9042033)

I would love to have a CTS-V wagon that would run 9s, it would be so awesome and ridiculous at the same time.

MIAdragon 10-23-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9042083)
I would love to have a CTS-V wagon that would run 9s, it would be so awesome and ridiculous at the same time.

Love the wagons.