ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Coming To Film & Television (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233177)

Jawshco 11-03-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7128833)
It is a slow book. But I think it lends itself to film better than most of the other books in the series. It has the biggest upside, I guess. I think it could/should be visually stunning and it'll be the shortest of the films. There's a lot that can go right with Gunslinger. It's everything that comes after that makes me nervous. :) At least on film. The books get better... but the potential for ****-up also exponentially increases.

That's a good point, but It seems to me like you could have a lot room go different directions with the tone of the Gunslinger. Ron Howard is a bland director most of the time. A big straight forward epic- style Gunslinger sounds boring to me. It rather see a dark Guillermo Del Toro crazy Zombie, Western shoot em' up flick.

I see Drawing of the 3 as a film you could get guy like Howard or Darabont to
shoot as written, but The Gunslinger needs a director with a creative vision, IMO.

Now Wastelands... Now there is a book with a huge amount of ****-up potential. They better hire ZZ top to do the score for that one!

Red Brooklyn 11-03-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7142947)
That's a good point, but It seems to me like you could have a lot room go different directions with the tone of the Gunslinger. Ron Howard is a bland director most of the time. A big straight forward epic- style Gunslinger sounds boring to me. It rather see a dark Guillermo Del Toro crazy Zombie, Western shoot em' up flick.

I see Drawing of the 3 as a film you could get guy like Howard or Darabont to
shoot as written, but The Gunslinger needs a director with a creative vision, IMO.

Now Wastelands... Now there is a book with a huge amount of ****-up potential. They better hire ZZ top to do the score for that one!

ROFL

That was awesome.

It would be really cool to see each film directed by a different artist. That would have been really fun to see. I don't disagree at all about The Gunslinger film as directed by Howard. But he does seem to have a deep respect for the source material. Maybe this will be the thing that breaks Howard out of his safe-zone. He's got an eye, he's just too safe. Maybe this forces him to take some risks.

Jawshco 11-05-2010 01:26 AM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6VIuQbjDEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6VIuQbjDEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

vailpass 11-05-2010 03:48 PM

Ron Howard has forgotten the face of his father.

chiefs1111 01-27-2011 07:06 PM

Dark Tower Casting News - Roland Deschain
Posted on: January 27th, 2011 7:44:45 am
Mike Fleming of Deadline Hollywood is reporting that oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem will play Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower films and television series. For more information, see Deadline Hollywood using the link below.

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

Ebolapox 01-27-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 7388261)
Mike Fleming of Deadline Hollywood is reporting that oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem will play Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower films and television series. For more information, see Deadline Hollywood using the link below.

hmmmm.... great actor, kinda has the look (or will, with the right makeup/outfit). works, I guess.

WV 01-27-2011 07:23 PM

This is going to be a difficult series to do justice too. I think it's far to dark to even be mentioned on TV and they're bound to cut too much out in the movies. I thought the whole time reading it that it could be a great movie, but sadly I just don't think they will going to deliver.

IMO there are some books that just don't need to be movies.

Red Brooklyn 01-28-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 7388261)

Ain't It Bale in DARK TOWER news? UPDATED with Bardem news!!!
Published on: Jan 26, 2011 10:17:52 PM CST

... So, amidst some new speculation from our friend Nordling, allow me to add some facts to THE DARK TOWER project—not so much about casting, but not unrelated to it either. Here's what Nordling writes:

Well, according to Deadline, Javier Bardem has been offered the role of Roland. If that's true, while I love Bale's work, Bardem's the man in my opinion. He'll bring that cold nobility to Roland that fans want to see. We'll know for sure in the coming days, and it looks like Bale was indeed in the running, but according to Mike Fleming, the role's Bardem's if he wants it. Stay tuned. I just hope WIZARD AND GLASS is done right.
--Nordling

Okay, this was reported, and I'm not doubting it's truth. That being said, when Ron Howard was in Chicago a couple weeks back promoting THE DILEMMA, we had an off-the-record conversation about THE DARK TOWER project, but it was him asking me most of the questions. And most of the questions were about casting, with very specific names being lobbed at me. I promised Ron I wouldn't reveal our conversation and I'll stick to that agreement. However, some of what he told me in confidence, he has since revealed in other places, so I think that's fair game now. But when the actor playing Roland is revealed once and for all, I'll be happy to detail the parts of our conversation that had to do with casting. But I will say that it was extremely clear to me that Howard had a favorite, because we spent the most time talking about him and Howard went into great detail explaining the why this particular actor would be perfect for the part. A convincing as hell case was made, from my perspective as someone who has read and re-read the Stephen King series several times.

One the record, Howard told me that the names that were being bandied about a few weeks ago (Bardem, Viggo Mortenson) were definitely people whose names were mentioned in meetings about casting. The subtext is that there were other names. At no point did Bale's name pop up in our conversation, on or off the record. Doesn't mean he wasn't a part of the discussion in casting meetings; he just wasn't brought up with me.

.... I believe it is Howard's intention to direct all three of THE DARK TOWER features, most certainly the first and second ones. In between the first and second film, will be a six- or seven-episode miniseries that will bridge the two features. I believe Howard plans on directing at least a couple of these episodes and closely overseeing the remaining parts (kind of the way Frank Darabont ran the show for "The Walking Dead"). Don't assume the movies and TV series to break where the books break, which would be impossible since there are seven books and only five sections to this project.

That being said, the television component between the second and third feature will be a full-length series (not sure if that means 12-13 episodes as cable tends to do, or a full 22-23 episodes on network, presumably NBC, although I wouldn't count that as a given). It's my understanding that this longer television section will basically cover the entirety of the flashback story of "Wizard & Glass" (the fourth DT book)...

... The scripts are still being written, but I think Howard, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, and a team that Howard referred to as his DARK TOWER task force, which I'm told includes Robin Furth, King's personal research assistant and co-creator of "The Dark Tower" comic books and "The Dark Tower: A Complete Concordance, Volumes I & II," are on the right path. I certainly trust Furth to keep things honest....

-- Capone
capone@aintitcool.com
Follow Me On Twitter

complete article here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48241

keg in kc 04-06-2011 08:19 PM

Just to update the January rumors, story is out tonight that Javier Bardem is official.

Red Brooklyn 04-07-2011 11:02 AM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49169

vailpass 04-07-2011 11:30 AM

Javier Bardem? Ron Howard has forgotten the face of his father and should have been sent west.

Red Brooklyn 04-07-2011 01:23 PM

I like the choice.

Rausch 04-07-2011 01:26 PM

I've only read the first two books but I can't see how this would be easy to pull off as a MFTV series.

It definitely think it deserves the "LOTR Treatment."

JMHO...

vailpass 04-07-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7545624)
I like the choice.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

keg in kc 04-07-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7545628)
I've only read the first two books but I can't see how this would be easy to pull off as a MFTV series.

It definitely think it deserves the "LOTR Treatment."

JMHO...

I'm interested in seeing how a combined film trilogy plus series to fill in the stuff in between is going to work. It could be the wave of the future.

vailpass 04-07-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7545772)
I'm interested in seeing how a combined film trilogy plus series to fill in the stuff in between is going to work. It could be the wave of the future.

A wery trig cove you are, wery trig indeed. And pert, aye.

Frosty 04-07-2011 04:23 PM

Guess I better get busy and finish reading the series, then.

vailpass 04-07-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 7546001)
Guess I better get busy and finish reading the series, then.

Get thee on brisk I say! Never tarry!

Frosty 04-07-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7546160)
Get thee on brisk I say! Never tarry!

It took me forever to slog through the first book. I'm halfway through the second and it is much better so far.

keg in kc 05-06-2011 03:45 PM

Project's been officially put "on haitus".

Got a feeling this one's about to go the way of the dodo...

vailpass 05-06-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7624528)

Good. They could never do it justice in a movie. Rather see it as an HBO mini-series.

QuikSsurfer 05-06-2011 04:04 PM

Never read this series but I picked up the graphic novel a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Gunslinger Reborn was the name of it.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7624528)

As excited as I am to see a competent film adaptation of The Dark Tower Series, I have to say this news does not upset me.

I'm actually a little relieved. Ron Howard's involvement has always felt off.

keg in kc 05-06-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7624588)
Ron Howard's involvement has always felt off.

Yes indeed.

BigChiefFan 05-06-2011 11:52 PM

The story is too complex to do it any justice in a movie.

Red Brooklyn 05-07-2011 10:23 AM

And the more I watch Game Of Thrones the more convinced I am that The Dark Tower NEEDS to be an HBO series.

Swanman 05-09-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7626013)
And the more I watch Game Of Thrones the more convinced I am that The Dark Tower NEEDS to be an HBO series.

For the life of me, I still do not understand why they continue to take King's works and make them into series on broadcast tv. Horror/suspense is by nature R-rated and needs that treatment, so Showtime/Starz/Hbo are the only logical choices.

vailpass 05-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 7628758)
For the life of me, I still do not understand why they continue to take King's works and make them into series on broadcast tv. Horror/suspense is by nature R-rated and needs that treatment, so Showtime/Starz/Hbo are the only logical choices.

X100 regarding his longer works like Stand and Dark Tower.

Shining, Chistine, Carrie, Children of the Corn, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, etc. were all just fine as movies IMHO

keg in kc 07-18-2011 08:04 PM

You can stick a fork in it. Project's dead.

Shag 07-19-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7756152)

Boo. I really hope someone picks this up...

kcmaxwell 07-19-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7756152)

Figures... This sucks @ss. What a crock

Red Brooklyn 07-19-2011 09:09 AM

Phew.

vailpass 07-19-2011 10:47 AM

Good, I'm tired of seeing them ruin his great stories. HBO or bust.

Baby Lee 07-20-2011 11:02 AM

King thinks it's still breathing.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/07/1...wer-universal/

keg in kc 10-25-2011 06:57 PM

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/bria...r-a-go-at-hbo/

Could be fantastic news...

KcMizzou 10-25-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8049165)

Wow. That would be cool.

Jawshco 10-25-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8049175)
Wow. That would be cool.

HBO seem seems like the right choice for this story, but as with all great HBO shows there is the longevity concerns. I'd love for them to start the series, but this isn't a story you want to see stop in the middle.

keg in kc 10-25-2011 09:42 PM

I would have been much more worried about longevity if it had stayed on NBC.

Jawshco 10-25-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8049503)
I would have been much more worried about longevity if it had stayed on NBC.

Good point!

vailpass 10-26-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8049165)

Please God. HBO is the only outlet that can do justice to Roland and his ka'tet.

vailpass 01-17-2012 03:42 PM

Anyone seen this new book, coming out April 2012? Solid read or lame milking attempt?

For those discovering the epic bestselling Dark Tower series for the first time—and for its legions of dedicated fans—an immensely satisfying stand-alone novel and perfect introduction to the series.Beginning in 1974, gaining momentum in the 1980s and coming to a thrilling conclusion when the last three novels were published in 2003-2004, the Dark Tower epic fantasy saga stands as Stephen King’s most beguiling achievement. It has been the basis for a long-running Marvel comic series.

Now, with The Wind Through the Keyhole, King has returned to the rich landscape of Mid-World. This story within a story within a story finds Roland Deschain, Mid-World’s last gunslinger, in his early days during the guilt-ridden year following his mother’s death. Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape-shifter, a “skin-man,” Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast’s most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Book of Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime. “A person’s never too old for stories,” he says to Bill. “Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”

Sure to captivate the avid fans of the Dark Tower epic, this is an enchanting introduction to Roland’s world and the power of Stephen King’s storytelling magic.

keg in kc 01-17-2012 03:56 PM

Weird they call it an introduction to the world, since I think it takes place in the middle of the series, between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'll probably get it. His JFK book was more than good enough to sell me on his next. If it had been another Under the Dome, then maybe not.

vailpass 01-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8305958)
Weird they call it an introduction to the world, since I think it takes place in the middle of the series, between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'll probably get it. His JFK book was more than good enough to sell me on his next. If it had been another Under the Dome, then maybe not.

Yeah, looks like it takes place a year after he left Mejis and Rhea tricked him into shooting his whore mother dead.
You are the 3rd or 4th person to say 11/22/63 is worth reading. I quit reading any new King books quite a while ago but will have to get this one.

Swanman 01-17-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8306036)
Yeah, looks like it takes place a year after he left Mejis and Rhea tricked him into shooting his whore mother dead.
You are the 3rd or 4th person to say 11/22/63 is worth reading. I quit reading any new King books quite a while ago but will have to get this one.

I liked Cell quite a bit. It's King's take on the zombie genre.

keg in kc 01-17-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8306048)

I had forgotten all about Cell. That was one of the first audiobooks I ever listened to. I might have to re-read it.

vailpass 01-18-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8306048)

Thanks for the tip, its on my list now. I was/am a very big King fan. Have everything he's written in the first half of his career and re-read them all from time to time. His 2nd half stuff though just didn't do it for me.

CHENZ A! 01-21-2013 07:46 PM

I just started this series(about 100 pages in). I think I'm going to really enjoy it.

kaplin42 05-01-2013 01:28 PM

Possibility of Netflix picking this up? If so, I'm completely in.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apps-and-ga...d-reviving-old

Quote:

http://www.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/f...dark-tower.jpg

Arrested Development creator Ron Howard has also been circling Stephen King’s The Dark Tower – any chance Netflix could pick it up?
I spoke to Ron about it, actually. The last time we talked about it the thing was being kicked about HBO – but it’s no longer there. Once Arrested Development gets through we’ll keep talking about it.