ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

rageeumr 01-09-2010 04:30 PM

And I'm sitting on the side of the road again.

A bit different situation this time, though. My wife had an emergency c-section last night. Our son joined us about 3 weeks earlier than expected. He's holed up in the NICU at the moment with some respiratory issues, but they're really mild. They really only have him in there so they can keep an eye on him. Momma is doing great!

[/threadjack]

I'm only about a mile from a 24 hour fitness. I might sneak out there and hit the mill a little later tonight when the wifey is snoozing. She's due for it, she hasn't slept in about 34 hours. If I spend the next three straight days in this hospital room I might snap.

Rain Man 01-09-2010 04:38 PM

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear they're doing well. What's his name?

ziggysocki 01-09-2010 04:43 PM

wtg rain man. this is pretty country. We will be outta Virgina before you know it. I will be logging the extra walking miles starting this week.

Rain Man 01-09-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6427712)
wtg rain man. this is pretty country. We will be outta Virgina before you know it. I will be logging the extra walking miles starting this week.

Yeah, it sure seems nice. At the same time, I'm wondering if they'll always have us avoid cities. It would've been nice to go through Richmond to see what it's like. It looks like they're definitely avoiding big cities, but I wonder if we'll end up going through some smaller towns.

Rain Man 01-09-2010 04:53 PM

Have you figured out any way to see how far it is to different places like, for example, the Kentucky border?

ziggysocki 01-09-2010 05:31 PM

Not using that site. You can use this Google maps toolhttp://www.gmap-pedometer.com/, but it is kind of a pain to match the exact route they have mapped.

rageeumr 01-09-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6427681)
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear they're doing well. What's his name?

Robert Stephen. We're going to call him Robbie. Not exceptionally original, but they're both family names.

ziggysocki 01-09-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 6427653)
And I'm sitting on the side of the road again.

A bit different situation this time, though. My wife had an emergency c-section last night. Our son joined us about 3 weeks earlier than expected. He's holed up in the NICU at the moment with some respiratory issues, but they're really mild. They really only have him in there so they can keep an eye on him. Momma is doing great!

[/threadjack]

I'm only about a mile from a 24 hour fitness. I might sneak out there and hit the mill a little later tonight when the wifey is snoozing. She's due for it, she hasn't slept in about 34 hours. If I spend the next three straight days in this hospital room I might snap.

Congrats! Hope all turns out well....

ziggysocki 01-11-2010 02:55 PM

So I was checking out the route our 'virtual run' will be taking us on, and figure out that you can drill down to any section of the map you want, just like the one we are on presently in Virginia. Turns out this route actually comes withing about 1 city block of my house. Pretty cool. I will be able to stop in for a hot meal and a soft bed. Virtually of course.

Rain Man 01-13-2010 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6434604)
So I was checking out the route our 'virtual run' will be taking us on, and figure out that you can drill down to any section of the map you want, just like the one we are on presently in Virginia. Turns out this route actually comes withing about 1 city block of my house. Pretty cool. I will be able to stop in for a hot meal and a soft bed. Virtually of course.

Wow! It seems like the odds of that would be astronomical, or at least ... solarsystemical... particularly since it looks like we don't get routed through bigger cities.

I'm at 88.0 miles, and just exited the Richmond metro area if you count getting past the outer loop as leaving. Only 645 more miles and I'm in Kentucky. I'm over 2% of the way to the Pacific!

Anyone in the Castlewood Subdivision that I can visit? If not, I'm on my way to Ashland.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=375

Taco John 01-13-2010 11:21 PM

If you run by my house wearing a virtual reality helmet, I'll throw a wad of ones your way for the entertainment of it all. There's got to be a business model in there somewhere.

ziggysocki 01-19-2010 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
13.04 mi to Ashland, VA, Hanover County.
My mileage should really pick up now... week 7 of marathon training...
mon-3 mi. , tue-6 mi. , wed-3 mi. and 12 mi. on saturday.

Here is my scenery and relative progress to my CP training partners.

Rain Man 01-25-2010 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm at 159.1 miles now, 7.9 miles from Palmyra in Fluvanna County. Virginia is very pretty, but it all looks the same so far.

I think I'm more than 25 percent through the state now, and about 4 percent of the way across the U.S. on this route.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=675

Rain Man 01-25-2010 08:32 PM

Why the heck won't they give me a little of West Virginia or Tennessee? I want to be able to count more states.

Rain Man 02-14-2010 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got a little traffic jam going as I enter Lexington, Virginia. I think the horses are slowing things down.

I'm at 271.6 miles since December 27th, averaging about 5.4 miles per day. Within the next two days I should be halfway through Virginia, and am about 7 percent of the way across the U.S.

How are my teammates doing? Y'all getting your miles logged? Ziggy? Rage? Rock? Dart?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1155

ziggysocki 02-15-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6532785)
I've got a little traffic jam going as I enter Lexington, Virginia. I think the horses are slowing things down.

I'm at 271.6 miles since December 27th, averaging about 5.4 miles per day. Within the next two days I should be halfway through Virginia, and am about 7 percent of the way across the U.S.

How are my teammates doing? Y'all getting your miles logged? Ziggy? Rage? Rock? Dart?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1155

Man... I have been so busy getting back into the whole university student routine, I have forgot to log the miles... still running, just forgot to log... ill check in in a little while.

patteeu 02-15-2010 10:40 AM

I think I saw a guy who looked just like ziggysocki jogging in place with a bookbag over his shoulder just outside of Ashland.

ziggysocki 02-15-2010 10:49 AM

Ok. I updated my miles, 4 miles to Charlottesville. I don't know how the hell this thing accumulates...
59131 ziggysocki 183.8 mi
59102 RainMan 151.7 mi
59136 Rage 125.2 mi
59338 BrentF 78.4 mi
Sooooo I don't know why mine doesn't show your other 100 miles RainMan. My mileage reflects what I have accumulated with my Garmin (Running only). (btw... Did an 18 miler this weekend at 9 min pace VERY comfortably - I have been training around 7:45)

rageeumr 02-15-2010 11:13 AM

With weather, broken toe, screaming infant... etc, my training has really taken a hit. But I did a 15 miler at an 8:03 clip on Saturday and it felt fantastic. I didn't feel the least bit tired, but my legs were toast by the end. I might get ready for a spring marathon after all.

I also bought a nice Specialized bike that I'll be picking up this week. So I'll be logging some cycling miles before too long. I want to do a couple tri's this summer and see if I like them.

Oh, and I'm showing:
59136 R.J. 116.0 mi
59131 Ziggy 174.6 mi
59102 Rain Man 260.8 mi
59338 BrentF 153.3 mi

Rain Man 02-23-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6533394)
Sooooo I don't know why mine doesn't show your other 100 miles RainMan. My mileage reflects what I have accumulated with my Garmin (Running only). (btw... Did an 18 miler this weekend at 9 min pace VERY comfortably - I have been training around 7:45)

Just a hunch, but if your settings are only for running, I wonder if your system ignores my walking miles and counts only my running miles. That would kind of make up for the difference.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Rain Man 02-23-2010 06:11 PM

I am in California, and the invasion fleet is in training. My mission is to seize high ground on Catalina Island in a 13.1 mile amphibious landing and ground invasion.

I can see the island from my base. The invasion fleet will launch Friday, and the assault will occur on Saturday.

http://www.ethelkrawitz.com/wp-conte...010/01/460.jpg

Rain Man 02-23-2010 06:12 PM

Here's the boat to which I am assigned on the invasion fleet. I pray that we will make the beach in one piece.

http://www.balboapavilion.com/Catalina_flyer_05s.jpg

Rain Man 02-23-2010 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My mission will be to seize the mountain 1,500 feet above the shore, secure it, and then move over to to a nearby lower peak and seize it as well. If I can do it in less than 2 hours and 40 minutes and then return to the landing area, we will control the island. If it takes longer than 2 hours and 50 minutes, the second wave will all surely perish in their Higgins boats. This invasion depends on me and my men.

Rain Man 03-02-2010 04:05 PM

The invasion was a success. I made it in 2:26:59, which was much faster than I was expecting. It was a big haul uphill during the first 5 miles, and parts seemed bigger than was shown on the map. Mile 5 looked like it would be a shallow uphill, but it had some significant slope up and down, as did Mile 8. Add to that the fact that it rained all night, producing muddy trails, and I'm very happy with my time.

I came in 104th out of 204. One ship with roughly 100 runners got in late due to storms and weather, requiring a second start time, so only about 20 of those runners ran. They were the more serious ones since a majority of them beat my time, which knocked me out of the top half of finishers. Bummer. I was still in the top half of my gender/age group, though.

ziggysocki 03-06-2010 10:02 AM

I am way behind in logging my virtual run, but I will get it caught up... main reason I am posting though is that I just got back from a 20 miler. Finished in 2:43:46 averaged 8:11 miles... and I feel great. tired, but no aches and pains so to speak... Now I am going to throw a brisket on the smoker and try and eat the whole ****er myself about 8 pm tonight.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-06-2010 12:18 PM

I have nothing to add other than I read this morning that actor Eddie Izzard (comedian/transvestite) ran 42 marathons in 50 days last year after only 6 weeks of training.

I was impressed.

Rain Man 03-06-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6581888)
I am way behind in logging my virtual run, but I will get it caught up... main reason I am posting though is that I just got back from a 20 miler. Finished in 2:43:46 averaged 8:11 miles... and I feel great. tired, but no aches and pains so to speak... Now I am going to throw a brisket on the smoker and try and eat the whole ****er myself about 8 pm tonight.

Nice! That's a good pace, too.

I keep thinking that I should do a marathon, but I'm not sure I'm up for it. I may just stick with halfs.

I'm doing another mountain half next weekend if I can get over a cold or whatever this is. Keeping up the training for summer and that Pike's Peak climb.

ziggysocki 03-06-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6582933)
Nice! That's a good pace, too.

I keep thinking that I should do a marathon, but I'm not sure I'm up for it. I may just stick with halfs.

I'm doing another mountain half next weekend if I can get over a cold or whatever this is. Keeping up the training for summer and that Pike's Peak climb.

Running halves in the mountains should have you ready to run a nice flat Kansas or Nebraska marathon.

ziggysocki 03-14-2010 09:49 AM

Got my virtual run mileage caught up. "12.68 mi to Catawba, VA", Botetourt County
Here are the totals now According to my start date.
Name Distance
ZachA 327.2 mi
KevinR 190.1 mi
R.J.A 195.2 mi
BrentF 97.1 mi

Rain Man 03-28-2010 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As a team, we just crossed 1,000 miles according to my books. 1,004 miles as of today. We're almost all the way across Kentucky and are about to enter Illinois.

My mileage is way down since I've been sick the entire month of March. I was averaging about 157 miles per month in January and February, and this month I'm only at 107. It's been a long March if I can borrow Mao's term. Bleah.

I'm at 420.8 miles now, about 2 miles from Wytheville, Virginia. I should be able to see Tennessee this week and then start up that last stretch toward Kentucky. Man, Virginia has been long. I should be able to hit Kentucky before the end of April, though.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1724

Rain Man 03-28-2010 06:04 PM

Ziggy, did you sign up for Pike's Peak?

rageeumr 03-28-2010 08:06 PM

I might have posted this on here, but I gave up on getting ready for a full this spring. The new baby and tons of snow this winter just made it too tough. But I ran the Rock the Parkway half on Saturday in 1:37:40 (7:27), which beats my previous PR by almost 5 minutes.

I'm going to try to stay in half-marathon shape over the summer. I'm also doing a few tri's here and there. My name is in the NYC marathon lottery, so if it hits, I'll be doing that in November.

If you are SUPER bored and have nothing else to do, you can check out this Channel 41 report about Saturday's race. I'm the goofy looking guy in the navy long sleeve top and gray shorts that trots by at 1:59.
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mediace...&navCatId=4295

Rain Man 03-28-2010 08:49 PM

1:37 is pretty awesome. I don't think I could've done that even in my prime.

And did you catch that chick in the yellow?

I was planning to run a half next month here in Denver that looked like a nice easy course for a change - a shallow downhill the whole way other than a couple of little hills. It would've been really convenient in terms of location, but when I went to sign up they'd closed down entries. The course is on a running trail, and I guess it doesn't have much capacity. That was a bummer since I wanted to run it and thought it might be a good course for me to break 2 hours. Now I think I'll go do one that's about 80 miles north of here, but the course doesn't match my strengths very well.

rageeumr 03-29-2010 07:31 AM

It's funny that you ask that. The girl in the yellow and I kept passing each other for the first 10 miles or so. I had a pretty good kick (ran the last 1.1 at a little under a 6:30 pace), so I'm guessing that I got her.

That sucks about the race filling up. You need to run a flat race. All that mountain climbing is bad for you :)

rageeumr 04-07-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 6639681)
My name is in the NYC marathon lottery, so if it hits, I'll be doing that in November.

The lottery was today. Denied. They can only tell me no one more time, though.

patteeu 04-07-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 6657868)
The lottery was today. Denied. They can only tell me no one more time, though.

What does that mean? Does it mean that you're only allowed to submit your request one more time or does it mean that after the next denial they have to accept your subsequent requests or does it mean something else?

Rain Man 04-07-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6657960)
What does that mean? Does it mean that you're only allowed to submit your request one more time or does it mean that after the next denial they have to accept your subsequent requests or does it mean something else?

They have some rule where if you lose the lottery X years in a row, you get automatically accepted in Year X+1. I think X=5

patteeu 04-07-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6657980)
They have some rule where if you lose the lottery X years in a row, you get automatically accepted in Year X+1. I think X=5

Ah thanks. That's what I thought he meant, but it wasn't clear.

rageeumr 04-07-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6657980)

It's 3. This was my second straight denial, so if they tell me no next year, I get a guaranteed entry in 2012.

ziggysocki 04-07-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 6658007)
It's 3. This was my second straight denial, so if they tell me no next year, I get a guaranteed entry in 2012.

I figure I will put my name in NY at some point. Are you running in Olathe this Saturday? Thats where you live right?

Rain Man 04-07-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6658271)
I figure I will put my name in NY at some point. Are you running in Olathe this Saturday? Thats where you live right?

I think he actually lives in Oooooooooolathe.

ziggysocki 04-07-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6658393)
I think he actually lives in Oooooooooolathe.

Maybe its LOLathe

rageeumr 04-12-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6658271)

I missed this when you posted it. I would have liked to have done Olathe (at least the half) but I had a meeting out of town that day. I did the Brew-to-Brew yesterday, which was a blast as always. I ran 2 legs, 5.88 @ 7:01 and 4.62 @ 7:03.

How did your weekend of craziness go? Can you walk today?

ziggysocki 04-12-2010 09:58 AM

I am walking surprisingly well. I finished Olathe Marathon in 4:05:27 on Saturday - official per ultramax timing chip - and Fayetteville Hogeye Marathon in 4:04:25 (unofficial per my Garmin) on Sunday. I was amazed how much easier it was to finish by intentionally slowing my pace by a minute per mile... I do think I am going to lose 4-5 toe nails though...

Planetman 04-20-2010 12:24 PM

World's 10 Most Breathtaking Walks
These Ten Spectacular Walks Are Well Worth the Hike
By MARLEI MARTINEZ
April 20, 2010

Whether a trek on the wild side gets your blood rushing or a leisurely stroll through a metropolis is more your thing, ABC News has compiled a list of 10 walks around the world that every traveler can enjoy. It's time to lace up your best walking shoes.

1. Ben Nevis, Scotland
Standing tall among the hills and glens of the Scottish Highlands, Ben Nevis provides a magnificent journey for any walker, hiker or climber. Affectionately known as the 'Ben' by the local Fort William villagers, this monolithic mountain holds all the charms of pastoral beauty, from valleys glistening with freshly fallen snow in the winter to pristine waterfalls. Good ol' Ben stands at 4,406 feet, making it the highest mountain in the British Isles. For those wanting a leisurely walk, the west face of mountain has many walkable footpaths, while the north face is better suited for those craving an adventurous climb. During the journey, most travelers will enjoy the rural sights of grazing highland cattle. And if the magnificent height of the mountain doesn't take your breath away, the sights of the glassy Loch Eil will.

2. Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/...00416_main.jpg

Dubbed as one of the seven "Natural Wonders of the World," the Grand Canyon is an experience worthy of the scrapbooks. This 277-mile stretch of jagged rocks, cliffs and valleys was carved by the ravaging waters of the Colorado River tens of millions of years ago. And today what's left is the wondrous outline of the red, orange and brown hues of raw nature. At the Grand Canyon National Park there are a wide variety of pre-marked trails, ranging from the moderate 13-mile hike from Pipe Creek Vista west to Hermits Rest to the more challenging and dangerous six-mile descent from Grandview Point into Horseshoe Mesa. Along this more challenging path, travelers can see blue copper ores and what remains of Pete Berry's mining location.

3. Great Wall, China

Although many sections of the wall are now in ruins, this 2,000-year-old treasure of the Orient keeps bringing in the tourists. Winding its way from East to West China, the Great Wall crosses through valleys, meadows, deserts and mountains. In its 5,500-mile stretch, many sections of the Wall have their own distinct personality of dynasties past. Mutianyu, for example, is known for its jaw-dropping scenery, while Jinshanling is known for its steep crags and wildlife. Resembling a mythical dragon in many ways with its magnificent formation, the Great Wall is an excellent walk for any world traveler.

4. Cajas National Park, Cuenca, Ecuador
The Cajas National Park on the western side of Cuenca, Ecuador, is a sight right out of the postcards. With its grassy hills filled with blossoming flowers and grazing goats, this park is worth the walk. Located at 4,450 meters above sea level, this is a walk for those used to high elevations and deal well with altitude. If able to muster up the breath, the abundance of scenery for taking photographs and the vast span of land and lakes for mountain biking, fishing and hiking will make this trek one of the best you've travelled.

5. Inca Trail, South America

Rich with its lush tropical forests, subtropical jungles and thousand-year-old ruins, this trail encompasses all that is beautiful in South America. Considered by many to be one of the top five treks in the world, this 26-mile trail is well worth the visit. Travellers start their journey in the grassy mountains above the Urubamba River, walk along the winding roads that lead to the legendary ruins of Machu Picchu. Here in the "Lost City of the Incas," travelers will catch a glimpse of the spectacular paved stones, relics and tunnels.

6. Kilimanjaro, Africa

A walk up Mount Kilimanjaro in northern Tanzania is a feat not only worthy of the photo albums, but worthy of bragging rights as well. Not only is Kilimanjaro the tallest mountain in Africa (at a whopping 19,336 feet), it is one of the biggest volcanoes on the planet, but don't worry it's dormant. Rising above the Indian Ocean, Kilimanjaro has three volcanic cones -- Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira. Just like the trek in Cajas National Park, this walk is best for those who can acclimate well to high altitudes. But the physical work is worth the workout. Along the six- to seven-day trek, you'll see the dormant craters, wild forests, gigantic rock formations and spectacular waterfalls.

7. Amazon Jungle, South America

If what you want out of a nice walk is an exotic world filled with wild animals, plants and fruit, the Amazon Jungle in South America is what you've been looking for. Depending on where in the jungle you venture to, you may be able to see howler monkeys, slinky jaguars, lazy sloths, buzzing hummingbirds and an assortment of colorful reptiles. But if travelling along any rivers, such as the Rio Negro, make sure to keep an eye out for alligators and piranhas. Some of the more adventurous travelers may also want to consider a night walk to see the truly wild side of the nocturnal jungle. But if you decide to venture out in the wild after nightfall, it's best to go with an experienced tour guide.

8. Biscoitos, Azores
This breath-taking waterhole is in an area unknown by many. Located off the Western coast of Portugal and smack in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Terceira Island in the Azores archipelago is a real treasure. Formed by underwater volcanoes, this waterhole offers not only a great place to swim but also a great place to walk. The cliffs surrounding the waterhole are peppered with lush blues, purples and pinks of the national hydrangea flower. From the groupings of rocks to the little nooks and caves found along the water's edge, Biscoitos makes for a wonderful place to stroll and catch a glimpse of the grand Atlantic.

9. South Bank, London
For those desiring a nice mix of nature, city and activity, the characteristic South Bank in Central London is the place to walk for you. Situated along the historic Thames River, the South Bank is home to street performers, food festivals and the London Eye. While the South Bank only extends for a short two-mile stretch, the vast variety of activities and the unique sights are abundant enough to last for a few hours' walk.

10. Central Park, NYC

For those who prefer a leisurely All-American kind of walk, Central Park is the place to go. Nestled in the heart of the Big Apple, this 843-acre plot of land (with 58 miles of paths) is big enough to walk through all-day long. With its quaint bridges, charming lakes, characteristic baseball fields and historic monuments, there's something for everyone to see at every leg of a Central Park trek. And the one great thing that Central Park has that the other walks do not are the New York style hotdog stands, the perfect treat for a weary traveler.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=10394453

Rain Man 06-02-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 6668087)
I am walking surprisingly well. I finished Olathe Marathon in 4:05:27 on Saturday - official per ultramax timing chip - and Fayetteville Hogeye Marathon in 4:04:25 (unofficial per my Garmin) on Sunday. I was amazed how much easier it was to finish by intentionally slowing my pace by a minute per mile... I do think I am going to lose 4-5 toe nails though...

Dang impressive. Congrats!

Rain Man 06-02-2010 02:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been limping a bit with a gimpy knee, but I'm still moving. 612.6 miles in, I'm in Kentucky.

Miles to Date:

December (Began on 12/27) - Ran 7.0, Walked 13.5
January 2010 - Ran 101.2, Walked 74.4 (Had five full weekends in January, which is when I usually run)
February 2010 - Ran 64.7, Walked 52.8 (doin' fine)
March 2010 - Ran 58.5, Walked 60.3 (sick most of March)
April 2010 - Ran 41.2, Walked 69.1 (hurt my knee in mid-April)
May 2010 - Ran 17.2, Walked 48.8 (knee still hurting bad)
Jun 2010 (through June 1) - Ran 3.5, Walked 0 (knee may be getting better, but can't run long distances yet)

Totals: 289.8 running, 322.8 walking.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=2471

Rain Man 11-07-2010 10:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm over 1,000 miles now, and Illinois is within striking distance. It's been a long haul across Kentucky, but I'm now at 1,022.3 miles, probably about 100 miles from the state border.

Rain Man 12-24-2010 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Annnnnd, I'm crossing the bridge into Missouri now. 1,218.1 miles to date, 590.8 running and 627.3 walking. I started 363 days ago, so I made it past the eastern U.S. in less than a year.

Old Dog 12-24-2010 05:07 PM

I told the Mrs that I needed to get to working out again. I quit in November after not having missed more than two days in over three years :(

This is a heck of an idea.

Rain Man 02-07-2011 04:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just passed 1,400 miles. Wandering through the Ozarks.

rageeumr 02-07-2011 05:00 PM

That's amusing. I hadn't updated this since June 4 of last year, so I pulled up my trusty Garmin exercise log and just entered all mileage since that date (422 mi running and 378 mi cycling) into today's workout. Hell of a day.

Oddly enough, it put me just in front of you. Just NE of Springfield in Fair Grove, MO. I'll have to stop for a get together while I'm there.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailMapProg...es=&map_id=392

Rain Man 02-07-2011 05:06 PM

Cheater! Cheater! 800 miles in one day! Cheater!

Oh. Wait. I see what you did there.

Old Dog 02-07-2011 05:17 PM

I've logged 116 miles so far since the beginning of the year. Not nearly as many as some of you real runners, but it's pretty good for me.

Thanks again for that site Mr Rain Man

rageeumr 02-07-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7414626)
Cheater! Cheater! 800 miles in one day! Cheater!

Oh. Wait. I see what you did there.

I should probably deduct a certain percentage of miles as penance for my lackadaisical logging.

Instead, I'll probably just forfeit some of the prize money should I hold you off and win.

rageeumr 02-07-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7414643)
I've logged 116 miles so far since the beginning of the year. Not nearly as many as some of you real runners, but it's pretty good for me.

116 seems like a lot to me! I'm in early weeks of marathon training, and I've only ran 80 miles this year. Of course I lost a week and a half to a snowboarding trip and I've been laid up for the last week with ankle problems. But even if I hadn't missed any workouts at all, I'd only be around 120 myself.

You training for something?

Rain Man 02-07-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7414643)

Hey, cool. I didn't know if you'd actually signed up. I like this site because it's motivating to keep going to the next county and keep seeing that state line getting closer.

I'm #59102 if you want to track each other. The running partner thing is kind of lame, though.

Rain Man 02-07-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7414659)
116 seems like a lot to me! I'm in early weeks of marathon training, and I've only ran 80 miles this year. Of course I lost a week and a half to a snowboarding trip and I've been laid up for the last week with ankle problems. But even if I hadn't missed any workouts at all, I'd only be around 120 myself.

Yeah, that's about what I do, counting both running and walking. I think I average 25 to 30 miles a week when I'm healthy.

Old Dog 02-07-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7414659)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7414670)
Hey, cool. I didn't know if you'd actually signed up. I like this site because it's motivating to keep going to the next county and keep seeing that state line getting closer.

I'm #59102 if you want to track each other. The running partner thing is kind of lame, though.

Not really training for anything other than to hopefully get in better shape, feel better and maybe be able to see my grandkids grow up (can't think of any better reasons though).
I HATE running if the only goal is to run somewhere to turn around and come home. The only way I will run outside is if I have someone take me a few miles from the house and drop me off so I pretty much have to run to get back (that, I kinda enjoy) so most of mine is on the treadmill.
Haven't done any "races" and have no thoughts of doing any marathons. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, just don't think it's in me to do something like that (5-6 miles at a crack is pretty much my limit, and even that is at a really slow pace....like a 8-9 minute mile and that doesn't change no matter what I have tried in the past). I just found that when I did work out I felt better more often than not.
I'm #63586 though and am hoping to reach the Kentucky line by 11 July. My original goal was Christmas, but found it easier to get back into than I thought and that it's only about 550 miles to the border rather than 750ish like it shows on the Virginia map.

ziggysocki 02-08-2011 01:21 PM

I am going to have to pull out my garmin logs and do the same. I have not been on the planet much, as life gets in the way, and basically forgot. I am training for a 100K race at the end of april at Clinton Lake, so i have some decent mileage to put up.

rageeumr 02-08-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 7416796)
I am going to have to pull out my garmin logs and do the same. I have not been on the planet much, as life gets in the way, and basically forgot. I am training for a 100K race at the end of april at Clinton Lake, so i have some decent mileage to put up.

100K? At once? You silly bastard.

Are you going to run the Brew to Brew as a warm up?

ziggysocki 02-15-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7416832)
100K? At once? You silly bastard.

Are you going to run the Brew to Brew as a warm up?

Yeah at once... I am a glutton for punishment. I was waiting for the snow to go away to put down some serious mileage, now I have a case of the flu that has knocked me on my ass... I am gonna have to work my ass off to get ready by april.

dtebbe 02-15-2011 08:39 PM

These guys have been doing that sort of thing for a while:
http://www.walkingspree.com/

and

http://connect.garmin.com/

DT

Rain Man 03-19-2011 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm in Kansas now, squinting west across the plains as I stand at 1,563.5 miles.

ziggysocki 03-24-2011 08:14 AM

Since you are in Pittsburg Rainman, you should let me buy you a beer!

Old Dog 03-24-2011 08:23 AM

Just hit the 300 mile mark this morning, but I only started on January 1st.

Rain Man 03-24-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 7513386)
Since you are in Pittsburg Rainman, you should let me buy you a beer!

We're on. You'll need to catch me in Girard now, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you still logging miles? You'd probably be in Wyoming by now.

Rain Man 03-24-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7513394)
Just hit the 300 mile mark this morning, but I only started on January 1st.

Cool. In fact, I was going to PM you because I hadn't seen your mileage update.

At 300, you're over halfway across Virginia now. I think it's something like 555 to Kentucky.

ziggysocki 03-24-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7513479)
We're on. You'll need to catch me in Girard now, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you still logging miles? You'd probably be in Wyoming by now.

Dont think Girard would be a problem~ ROFL

I am logging miles... haven't updated that site in forever, but am still putting some miles behind me. But I am about a month away from a 100K in Lawrence. The biggest problem training for ultras (for me) isn't so much the endurance, but the time commitment. Running 20+ miles takes a long time, so a daily run may go from 1-4 hours. That adds up over the course of a week. So a week ago I bought a 20lb conditioning vest to augment my training. WOW it is amazing how much harder a 10 mile run is with a 20lb vest. Makes me really value the 20 pounds I lost off my body.

Old Dog 04-11-2011 06:02 PM

Is the site down? I can't seem to get logged in.

Rain Man 04-12-2011 09:22 AM

Yep, site is down.

It looked to me like there was a database problem brewing, as my photo wasn't matching my map line all of a sudden. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

Old Dog 05-28-2011 10:14 AM

Just crossed into Kentucky this morning after five months.
514.7 miles to go to Illinois.......thinking I should get there by Thanksgiving (would be Halloween if I kept up this pace).

Rain Man 05-29-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7667350)
Just crossed into Kentucky this morning after five months.
514.7 miles to go to Illinois.......thinking I should get there by Thanksgiving (would be Halloween if I kept up this pace).

Congrats! Virginia is a tough state. It seems to go on forever.

I'm currently at 1898.7 miles, directly south of Hays, Kansas. I have maybe 150 more miles of Kansas before I reach the Colorado border.

kysirsoze 05-30-2011 09:19 PM

Well, I'm 65978. I'm just starting to run and I am in horrible shape so this will likely take me about 20 years to complete, but I might as well give it a shot.

Rain Man 05-30-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7670402)
Well, I'm 65978. I'm just starting to run and I am in horrible shape so this will likely take me about 20 years to complete, but I might as well give it a shot.

Cool. I'll link up with you.

Someone who didn't put in their name linked up with me a while back. It could be a planeteer or someone else, but I was curious. It's 65869.

Old Dog 05-31-2011 06:43 PM

Also finished with my best monthly total after 4 miles this evening. 128 to best my previous of 119.5

rageeumr 06-23-2011 07:16 AM

Did my quarterly update this morning. Ran/Biked about 565 miles since my last update (February 8th). I'm about 24 miles from the Kansas/Colorado border. I started training for the KC Marathon this week, so I should really start racking up the miles.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=8110
http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailMapProg...es=&map_id=187

Rain Man 06-23-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7711149)
Did my quarterly update this morning. Ran/Biked about 565 miles since my last update (February 8th). I'm about 24 miles from the Kansas/Colorado border. I started training for the KC Marathon this week, so I should really start racking up the miles.

I was wondering who just passed me. I got an e-mail notification that I'd been passed, but it only gives a number, not a name.

I'm right behind you. I should hit 2,000 miles this weekend and am probably 100 miles from the Colorado border.

Rain Man 06-25-2011 05:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I hit 2,000 miles last night. I'm about 30 miles from the halfway point across the country.

Old Dog 06-25-2011 08:41 PM

I wish they would add another route. Maybe a South-North or something. I'm just into Kentucky but have already begun wondering what I'm going to use for motivation once I'm done.