ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Walt Disney World (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133525)

Mosbonian 03-09-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4621151)
Coming up on our trip this June. Has anyone used the Unofficial Guide to WDW for Kids or www.tourguidemike.com for trip prep?

Are you familiar with these Maddawg?

Never used tourguidemike.com, will have to check it out abd let you know if it is worth anything.

The "UGWDWK" is pretty good although it is a little out of touch and out of date.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 03-09-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4621164)
Nope, but thanks for the link! Ill have to read more later. We are headed down there the week of May 4th - 11th. We figured that was a good date to beat the summer crowds.

We have both been down there a couple of times before, so we know what to expect and plan for. Good times.

You'll beat the summer crowds, but you will still hit the locals on Thurs-Sun which some people forget. If you want to maximize your "smaller crowds" get the best stuff done on Mon-Wed.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 03-09-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4621695)
Yeah, we are hoping for decent crowd the first week of June too. I have heard that school is still in session at a lot of southern schools then. I know it will still be crowded though. I figure it has to be better than the crowds in July and August though.

Let me know if you sign up for either of those guides. I would like to know if they are really as helpful as I am reading.

The problem that you will run into is not the southern schools may still be in session but colleges are already out and some parents will have kids "test out" early and then head down. June is also the biggest weekends for the "Star Wars Weekends" that Disney holds. Fri-Sat-Sun will be packed at the parks.

BTW, the worst crowds are Spring Break,Thanksgiving Week, and the period from Christmas-New Years.

mmaddog

Coach 03-09-2008 12:47 PM

Be sure to bring some ponchos or umbrellas. The rain is unpredictable in FL. There were times where it was dry, then all of a sudden, a rainstorm pops up out of nowhere.

Coach 03-09-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4622323)
Actually, hurricane season starts in June I believe. Not certain though.

June 1st to Nov. 30th.

007 03-09-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4622676)
Never used tourguidemike.com, will have to check it out abd let you know if it is worth anything.

The "UGWDWK" is pretty good although it is a little out of touch and out of date.

mmaddog

From what I hear, it is worth the price just for the "best days to do stuff" charts.

I just want to find out the best order to do things to avoid long lines for the most part.

Mosbonian 03-09-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4622710)
From what I hear, it is worth the price just for the "best days to do stuff" charts.

I just want to find out the best order to do things to avoid long lines for the most part.

The problem with the concept of that is that Disney changes the length of hours for each park depending on the season. And remember that Animal Kingdom Park closes much earlier than any of the other 3 parks so that the animals can be handled before dark.

I have found that the best measure of what is the best days to do stuff is doing your homework a week before you go. Know what rides and attractions are closed or being refurbished, know what special activities are going on (Star Wars Weekends, International Flower Festival, Disney Marathon Days, etc) and plan around them.

mmaddog

007 03-09-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4623058)
The problem with the concept of that is that Disney changes the length of hours for each park depending on the season. And remember that Animal Kingdom Park closes much earlier than any of the other 3 parks so that the animals can be handled before dark.

I have found that the best measure of what is the best days to do stuff is doing your homework a week before you go. Know what rides and attractions are closed or being refurbished, know what special activities are going on (Star Wars Weekends, International Flower Festival, Disney Marathon Days, etc) and plan around them.

mmaddog

Just knowing what parks are generally at their busiest on what days would have to be extremely helpful though. Most of the posts I am reading about it in www.wdwinfo.com speak very highly of it and all seem to say they never had to wait in line more than 15 min using the site.

007 03-19-2008 03:16 AM

Best shoe options for spending 6 days walking around. Figuring on packing two pairs in case of rain.

Any recommendations that are not outrageous in price?

Hell, a lightweight backpack too.

Mr. Plow 03-19-2008 07:48 AM

We are going down in July for a conference. Taking all the kids, so we decided to rent a place from http://www.aplusvacationhomes.com/index.cfm

Looks pretty nice, plus we'll have our own private pool & hot tub. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Plus, we'll save money over renting 2 rooms on Disney property.

Can anyone recommend a good golf course down there?

Lzen 03-19-2008 09:06 AM

Wife and I are going down with our 3 kids (ages 6, 11, and 15) and with her parents and sister's kids (ages 8, 9, and 16). We are driving down in June and camping at Disney. We have been to Florida 3 times since 2002 but never been to the Disney parks as of yet. We went to Universal Studios twice and Universal Studios: Islands of Adventure twice. I really liked the Universal parks but am looking forward to checking out the Disney ones finally. I will have to check out the forums that were posted in this thread. Seems to be lots of great info.

Lzen 03-19-2008 09:07 AM

Oh, and I think we got the 4 day package. So, we should be able to see a lot of it. Gonna be worn out by the end of that, tough.

Mr. Plow 03-19-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 4638367)
Oh, and I think we got the 4 day package. So, we should be able to see a lot of it. Gonna be worn out by the end of that, tough.

It's been posted before, but go to http://www.wdwinfo.com/ for any and all info on Disney World.

LocoChiefsFan 03-19-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Oh contraire, we went for 8 days and didn't get to see or do everything we would've liked. Animal Kingdom was easy to do in one day, but the rest you really need to plan out to get alot done in one day. Good luck though.

Mosbonian 03-19-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

+

You will barely scratch the surface.....but I will give you this one tip. When you go to EPCOT the one ride besides Test Track and Mission:Space that you need to ride is Soaring!.....and whatever you do try to get seated in either the top rows or middle rows. In order to do that you have to be in the 1st or second group.

If you are camping at Fort Wilderness, make sure to leave one evening for Chip N Dales Campfire Sing Along. You can roats hot dogs and marshmallows, then sit around and watch a couple of Disney movies on an outdoor screen. Lame as it may sound, it is actually pretty relaxing...especially after a day at the parks.

I have a million tips but www.wdwinfo.com is the place to check out. I really need to send them an e-mail to ask for a referral fee for all the people I have sent to that website.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 03-19-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4638224)
We are going down in July for a conference. Taking all the kids, so we decided to rent a place from http://www.aplusvacationhomes.com/index.cfm

Looks pretty nice, plus we'll have our own private pool & hot tub. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Plus, we'll save money over renting 2 rooms on Disney property.

Can anyone recommend a good golf course down there?

Any of the Disney courses are fun to play, but you most any of the courses are great. They all have to be to compete with the resort courses.

The only thing i don't like about staying off property is the inconvenience of shuttling back and forth to the parks. You are never really "close" as you might think...and staying on property has conveniences that I enjoy. But I realize that not all people are Disney fanatics like me.

mmaddog

007 03-19-2008 09:56 PM

That TourGuideMike site has me in information overload.

Anyone else tried it yet?

Coach 03-19-2008 10:18 PM

I can't remember that one ride in Disney, but it has something to do with car testing, and they seat you in a ride, and give you an example of what it does and all that.

Pretty fun and thrilling. Another one was the Space Mountain. Expedition Everest is awesome.

LocoChiefsFan 03-21-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 4640142)
I can't remember that one ride in Disney, but it has something to do with car testing, and they seat you in a ride, and give you an example of what it does and all that.

Pretty fun and thrilling. Another one was the Space Mountain. Expedition Everest is awesome.

Test Track. Also, make sure to stick around Epcot for the fireworks extravaganza, Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. Man I hope I can some day afford to go again.

007 03-22-2008 10:59 PM

Great. Just found out that Gay Days is at Disney on the 5th through 8th. Just my frriggin luck.

Here is a list blog about last years...

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

LocoChiefsFan 03-23-2008 09:20 AM

LOL, we planned our trip last year without the knowledge of when Gay Days was. Luckily, our first day was the day after gay days ended.

007 03-23-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoChiefsFan (Post 4645571)
LOL, we planned our trip last year without the knowledge of when Gay Days was. Luckily, our first day was the day after gay days ended.

sure would have been nice to know. It sucks. That article doesn't make me feel any better either.

Why Disney World anyway?

Mr. Plow 03-23-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4640001)
Any of the Disney courses are fun to play, but you most any of the courses are great. They all have to be to compete with the resort courses.

The only thing i don't like about staying off property is the inconvenience of shuttling back and forth to the parks. You are never really "close" as you might think...and staying on property has conveniences that I enjoy. But I realize that not all people are Disney fanatics like me.

mmaddog

If I had extra money, I'd prefer to stay on property. But, renting 2 rooms - can't seem to find one room large enough to handle 6 (3 under 3) - saves me $130/night.

Mr. Plow 03-23-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4645378)
Great. Just found out that Gay Days is at Disney on the 5th through 8th. Just my frriggin luck.

ROFL

007 03-24-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4646375)
ROFL

Mr. CruelSTFU

Deberg_1990 03-24-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4646203)
sure would have been nice to know. It sucks. That article doesn't make me feel any better either.

Why Disney World anyway?

Does WDW actively promote "Gay Days"??

Os is it an underground gay community thing??

sedated 03-24-2008 03:50 PM

Just tell the kids it burned down and go to the bar instead.

Mr. Plow 03-24-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4646203)

Why Disney World anyway?

http://www.queensinthekingdom.com/Photos/Castle07.jpg

Mr. Plow 03-24-2008 06:14 PM

Holy shit. Check out some of these googled "Gay Days at Disney World" pics......

http://www.outandaboutravel.com/howardscott_group.jpg

http://www.outandaboutravel.com/ccc_gaydays05.jpg

007 03-24-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4647288)
Does WDW actively promote "Gay Days"??

Os is it an underground gay community thing??

Disney does not promote it. They just can't disallow it either.

Plow, I am about to neg rep the crap out of you. :evil:

Deberg_1990 03-25-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4648054)
Disney does not promote it. They just can't disallow it either.

Yep, i understand that.

Funny story. My wife went to WDW sometime in the early 90's with her Family and it just happened to be "Gay Days" that particular day unbeknownst to them. Her Dad just happened to be wearing a RED shirt that day. I guess he was pretty embarrassed, so they left and drove all the way back to the hotel for him to change his shirt. LOL

Friendo 03-25-2008 06:32 PM

we're going the week of the 7th. last time we went our kids got the coolest surprise...a "Magic-moment", at the Canadian restaurant in Epcot. we had heard about this, but I must say it was a really nice touch by the Mouse. my kids still talk about it.

Mr. Plow 03-26-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4648054)
Plow, I am about to neg rep the crap out of you. :evil:

I know. I deserved it. Please accept my apologies.

Edit....I'm removing that freakin' pic because I just looked at it and it has no place on this board let alone the internet.

Mr. Plow 03-26-2008 09:19 AM

I'm sorry. That was really uncalled for.

007 05-27-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 2959725)
A few things:

1) When you go to Downtown Disney there is a Lego Store right next to The World of Disney Store....if you or the wife want to shop and not worry about wondering if the kids are going to break something, take the kids to the Lego play area just right outside the Lego store...you can sit and watch them play with Lego's and the spouse can shop.

2) If you are there as part of a large convention you might want to check to see if the Convention has arranged with Disney for discount tickets to the Parks.

3) If you go to the parks, remind yourself that your kids are little and can only take so much excitement at a time. When our kids were small we usually went when the park opened, stayed till 11 AM or Noon, then took them back to the hotel for naps or rest. Then we went back later in the afternoon/early evening till the Park closed...stay fo the fireworks. And remember!!!! Bring a stroller or rent one from Disney...you'd be surprised what you can do in the park for yourself and the wife if the kids are asleep in the stroller.

4) If you only have time for a couple of the parks choose Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, both of which are geared toward younger kids. The Safari ride thru Animal Kingdom is fun no matter how young or old you are. Magic Kingdom has It's A Small World, Winnie The Pooh Ride, and has a part of the park designed especially for the very young crowd.

5) If you have time, take the kids over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge....there is a viewing area where, at the right time of the day you can see a few animals.

6) Be very cognizant that your kids might be frightened by the size of the characters if you do a Character Breakfast. Most kids their age are.

7) Is anyone having a birthday or special event? If you are there on someone's birthday or anniversary they give you a badge to wear. All Cast Member's have to wish that person/couple a Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary.

8) Money? I rarely take cash..since I stay on property I can charge everything to the room. That way I am never luggin a wallet or my wife a purse at the park. Much as it may seem "teh ghey" a fanny pack is the way to go.

I will disagree with one thing that seems to be a theme from some posters here.....your kids WILL remember this trip. They just won't remember it in as great a detail as you will. My kids have been to WDW 18 times in their life ( daughter is 9 and son is 13) and each time they have something special they remember about it.

As Rain Man alluded to early in this thread...I have much more I could tell you. If you have any more questions feel fre to IM me. I will answer from home this evening.

mmaddog

OK, based on number 8, how many guys actually do this option. Minus Mmaddog of course. Not making fun just curious. Just can't seem to embrace this option. heh

Valiant 05-27-2008 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4769150)
OK, based on number 8, how many guys actually do this option. Minus Mmaddog of course. Not making fun just curious. Just can't seem to embrace this option. heh

Get a camel pak, Use it as a backpack and maybe put some ice cold whiskey in there..

Sidenote.. One of our floattrips years ago happened to coincide with a gay pride float trip.. 100's of flamers on the water.. The funny thing is we were walking around the camp ground Friday night interacting and came upon one group.. Hung out with them a bit and drank.. Seemed like good guys, getting hammered and acting a fool(like dancing on tables and cars).. Asked them where in the hell all their girls were at.. They said they would be out tomorrow for the float..

Yeah.. Got the message of what they meant Saturday morning... Me and my buddy just looked at each other like we could have been raped the previous night..

They were a good bunch though.. Besides trying to get us to get naked on the water for alcohol..

007 05-27-2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4769219)
Get a camel pak, Use it as a backpack and maybe put some ice cold whiskey in there..

Sidenote.. One of our floattrips years ago happened to coincide with a gay pride float trip.. 100's of flamers on the water.. The funny thing is we were walking around the camp ground Friday night interacting and came upon one group.. Hung out with them a bit and drank.. Seemed like good guys, getting hammered and acting a fool(like dancing on tables and cars).. Asked them where in the hell all their girls were at.. They said they would be out tomorrow for the float..

Yeah.. Got the message of what they meant Saturday morning... Me and my buddy just looked at each other like we could have been raped the previous night..

They were a good bunch though.. Besides trying to get us to get naked on the water for alcohol..

Funny!!! Our first weekend in Disney is also Gay Days. ugh.

Silock 05-27-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4769150)

I never do. I just wear shorts or pants with zipping pockets and put the essentials in there -- credit card, ID, cash and ticket. Everything else stays in the room.

007 05-27-2008 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 4769225)
I never do. I just wear shorts or pants with zipping pockets and put the essentials in there -- credit card, ID, cash and ticket. Everything else stays in the room.

Yeah, I couldn't find any affordable shorts with zipper pockets. I don't want to spend a small fortune on clothes I didn't really need just to have zippers. They all have pockets, just not secure. Have a camera and cell phone I need to carry around as well as our tickets and room key/charge card.

Deberg_1990 05-27-2008 07:29 AM

Just got back from DisneyWorld a few weeks ago. We had a great time!

It was unusually crowded for early May? There was a ton of Europeans, British and Aussies there. IM guessing they were already out on their summer breaks?

Lzen 05-27-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4769223)
Funny!!! Our first weekend in Disney is also Gay Days. ugh.

Aw, crap. When are you going?

We are going June 8-14.

Lzen 05-27-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4645378)

Oh great. Well, at least it will only be the first day.

007 05-27-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 4769268)
Aw, crap. When are you going?

We are going June 8-14.

No shit? Maybe we could meet up on your arrival day/night. We will most likely be in MK all day on the 8th since we are leaving on the 9th.

Mr. Plow 05-27-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4769639)
No shit? Maybe we could meet up on your arrival day/night. We will most likely be in MK all day on the 8th since we are leaving on the 9th.

Maybe both of you guys could get away from your families and go to Disney World together over the weekend - you know, just the two of you. I'm sure you'd have a gay ole' time.

LMAO

007 05-27-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4769655)
Maybe both of you guys could get away from your families and go to Disney World together over the weekend - you know, just the two of you. I'm sure you'd have a gay ole' time.

LMAO

Just let me whip this out......................

Fortunately, Gay Days at MK is only on Saturday. they will be at Epcot on Sunday.

StcChief 05-27-2008 12:28 PM

"gay days" another reason to stay away from Mousechwitz

Lzen 05-27-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4769655)

LMAO

I hate you. :cuss:

Lzen 05-27-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4769662)
Just let me whip this out......................

Fortunately, Gay Days at MK is only on Saturday. they will be at Epcot on Sunday.

Note to self, don't go to Epcot the first day.

Mr. Plow 05-27-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 4769789)
Note to self, don't go to Epcot the first day.

Oh come on, take one for the team.

007 05-27-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4769801)
Oh come on, take one for the team.

Hell, you are the one that seems to have "shots" to spare. You can take care of it yourself.:D

bogey 05-27-2008 04:44 PM

Relax, it's not contagious.

LocoChiefsFan 05-27-2008 05:20 PM

I carried a backpack instead of a fanny pack. Of course I had a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old so we carried extra clothes also. I noticed alot of backpacks.

Mr. Plow 05-27-2008 05:22 PM

Backpack would probably be a bit more "stylish"......but I say go with an oversized fanny pack.

Mr. Plow 07-07-2008 10:34 AM

So Lzen & Guru.......how was Disney World? I'm heading there this week.

007 07-07-2008 10:41 AM

It was nice. Didn't have time to do every thing we wanted to but no complaints.

I highly recommend www.tourguidemike.com for planning your days somewhat. The site will also let you know the best days to visit which parks.

If you don't care about seeing the fireworks and light shows at night, that is a great time to knock out some rides. As well as EARLY in the morning. Oh, and don't use the extra morning hours at the parks. EVERYONE goes to those parks on those days. Don't do what everyone else does.

Mr. Plow 07-07-2008 10:42 AM

What parks did you go to? Or all of them?

Silock 07-07-2008 10:45 AM

Anyone have any recommendations on things to do at WDW that are inexpensive, yet something people don't do often? Like a backstage tour kind of thing or something?

007 07-07-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4832121)
What parks did you go to? Or all of them?

We went to everything. We did miss out on Typhoon Lagoon but that is the only thing we missed.

007 07-07-2008 11:17 AM

Oh, also, USE YOUR FASTPASSES early and as often as possible. They have a return time on them but they can be used for the rest of the day. So even though it says return time from 10am to 11am, you can still use it at 2pm. You can only use each fastpass once though. If the lines are short on a big ride like Thunder Mountain, get a fastpass and then ride it. Come back in an hour and ride it again with your fastpass.

Lzen 07-07-2008 01:19 PM

We went to 4 of the parks in 5 days. On Monday, we went to Magic Kingdom. It seemed to be geared more for the younger kids. My 6 year old girl loved it, though. Space Mountain (roller coaster) was pretty cool. The other good ride that I remember there was the Toy Story. It was like the Men In Black ride at Universal (you ride through and shoot at stuff with guns attached to the car.

On Tuesday, we went to Epcot. Lots of cool stuff there but we didn't get to do everything because it stormed really bad for about an hour or two. My favorite ride (of all the parks) was here, Mission Space. However, if you get dizzy really easy, this may not be for you. I don't do the spinning rides as well now that I'm in my 30s as when I was a kid. Still, I followed their instructions to keep my head back and eyes on the screen. Great ride. Also, Test Track was pretty cool. Waited in line for Soarin' for almost an hour. It was a little disappointing. It's just a (simulated) hang gliding ride. There was also an Ellen Degeneres hosted/narrated ride (Energy something) that was worth checking out.

On Wednesday, we did Hollywood Studios (formerly known as MGM Studios). Make sure to catch the stunt car show. I think they only have 3 shows each day(10:30am/2:30pm/5:30pm), but is definitely worth it. Hollywood Tower of Terror was really cool and fun. Also, they have a pretty cool Aerosmith themed roller coaster. Note: this was the only ride, if memory serves, in all the parks that my 6 year old girl was not big enough to ride. Also, they have this night show called Fantasmic that is worth seeing.

On Thursday, we had a day off and utilized that time to go visit our friends 45 minutes away in Lakeland. Tried to get chagrin to come out and hang with us that evening but he had to work. Oh man, he(my buddy, not chagrin) has this beautiful 2008 Harley Davidson. I am so jealous. Then again, I wouldn't want to spend 25k on a motorcycle, either. :eek:

On Friday, we went to Animal Kingdom. First thing we did was the Safari ride. It was really neat if you like animals. They had lots of wild/exotic animals - it was as if you were on a real African safari. There is a bug attraction/show that is themed like A Bug's Life. Great for kids and adults - although it may scare young ones a bit. This park is also where they have the Tree Of Life. It's really cool to see. It's a fake tree with carvings of animals in it. And the thing is huge. Expedition Everest is really fun roller coaster - we rode it 3 times. They also have raft ride that is like Fury Of The Nile at Worlds of Fun, only twice as good. It holds 10 or 12 people and I think half our party got completely soaked. They also have this cool dinosaur themed ride - kind of a Back To The Future/Jurassic Park thing.

A couple of things:
- I was amazed at all the rides that my 6 year old girl was able to ride. That was really nice. She even rode Expedition Everest and liked it. On that same note, she rode Mission Space with the wife and in-laws on the easier side (green team, I think). I was with the boys (orange) on the more intense side. Anyway, after the ride she was crying and said "mommy, I am dizzy". Then she paused from crying and said "but that was really fun". ROFL

- Fast Pass is a part of your ticket. My wife had told me that Fast Pass was something for which you had to pay extra. So, on the first day we didn't bother with it. I was planning to ask someone at some point how much and having them add it to our ticket. I never got around to it the first day. As we were entering Epcot the 2nd day, I asked and they explained that it was already part of my admission. For those that don't know, your admission is a card like a credit card. You can use this to get a fast pass to a ride that has a long line. Simply swipe the card and it prints out your Fast Pass. That way you come back during the times it says and you get into the ride within like 10 minutes, rather than waiting 45-60 (or more in some cases - i.e. Soarin'). You can also have more than one Fast Pass at a time. When you get a Fast Pass, it will say next FP available at **:** time (usually it's an hour or two from when you got that FP). While not perfect, it does substantially reduce wait times for the really popular attactions if you allow it to dictate your schedule.

- We stayed in the campground, Fort Wilderness. They had a ton of stuff there to do. There were 2 or 3 swimming pools, basketball courts, pony rides, wagon rides, campfire marshmallow roasting, etc.) but we really didn't have time to do most of that stuff. By the time we got everyone up and around, showered, and ate breakfast, it was time to go to the parks. Then we would get back at night around midnight or 1 am usually. Too late to do much of anything other than go to bed. It was a whirlwind tour, I tell ya. Perhaps I'll post some pics later. Be sure to wear some comfortable walking shoes and keep applying the sunscreen.

007 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

If you leave the park for a while and plan to return that night, be sure to get a fastpass on your way out too. One less thing to wait on when you return.

Remember, you can't use a fastpass earlier than the time dictated on the card but you CAN use it anytime after that time. You are not limited to just the 1 hour time period. They will honor your fastpass at any time for the rest of the day. Until you use it then it is voided of course.

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 4832500)
We went to 4 of the parks in 5 days. On Monday, we went to Magic Kingdom. It seemed to be geared more for the younger kids. My 6 year old girl loved it, though. Space Mountain (roller coaster) was pretty cool. The other good ride that I remember there was the Toy Story. It was like the Men In Black ride at Universal (you ride through and shoot at stuff with guns attached to the car..

Your post is so long I will touch each one individually...

Magic Kingdom really is for kids, but there are things that are meant for people of all ages....you didn't mention Mickey's PhilharMagic which is actually pretty cool, and a great place to cool down. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Railroad are actually pretty cool when it comes to rides, but remember, when you ride Splash Mountain you WILL GET WET! Buzz Lightyear's Star Command just went thru a makeover so that is why it is still fun. Most of the rest of the rides are more mild stuff meant to entertain the younger set.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-07-2008 05:40 PM

When we were at the Magic Kingdom back in May, we bought the Pirate and Princess Party tickets just to get the extended hours.

We ended up being at that park from like 11 in the morning until midnight. We were all tired, but had a ton of fun. Its like being a kid again. Yes most of the rides are geared towards the younger set, but a classic is still a classic.

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

On Tuesday, we went to Epcot. Lots of cool stuff there but we didn't get to do everything because it stormed really bad for about an hour or two. My favorite ride (of all the parks) was here, Mission Space. However, if you get dizzy really easy, this may not be for you. I don't do the spinning rides as well now that I'm in my 30s as when I was a kid. Still, I followed their instructions to keep my head back and eyes on the screen. Great ride. Also, Test Track was pretty cool. Waited in line for Soarin' for almost an hour. It was a little disappointing. It's just a (simulated) hang gliding ride. There was also an Ellen Degeneres hosted/narrated ride (Energy something) that was worth checking out..

Mission:Space is definitely not for everyone....in fact I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who gets dizzy easy or car sick easy. Plus if you have any physical ailments it only amplifies the problems. Test Track is great...I rode it several times. Unlike you I ejoyed Soarin' especially since I got to sit on the top row where the effect is felt the most. And Ellen's Energy Adventure was more enjoyable that I thought it would be. Since your stay there was abbreviated you probably missed Maelstrom which is in the Norway Pavilion and American Pavilion replete with the Fife and Drum Corp. The renovation that was done on Spaceship Earth actually made it disappointing...if you haven't done it once before, I would recommend seeing it, but a 2nd visit isn't worth it.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4833160)
When we were at the Magic Kingdom back in May, we bought the Pirate and Princess Party tickets just to get the extended hours.

We ended up being at that park from like 11 in the morning until midnight. We were all tired, but had a ton of fun. Its like being a kid again. Yes most of the rides are geared towards the younger set, but a classic is still a classic.

The problem with most people that go is that they refuse to enjoy the parks like they are kids. The Magic Kingdom is meant to be enjoyed like you aren't an adult....but most people have a pole stuck up their butt and can't do that.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

On Wednesday, we did Hollywood Studios (formerly known as MGM Studios). Make sure to catch the stunt car show. I think they only have 3 shows each day(10:30am/2:30pm/5:30pm), but is definitely worth it. Hollywood Tower of Terror was really cool and fun. Also, they have a pretty cool Aerosmith themed roller coaster. Note: this was the only ride, if memory serves, in all the parks that my 6 year old girl was not big enough to ride. Also, they have this night show called Fantasmic that is worth seeing..

Disney Hollywood Studios is the real enigma of all the Parks....it can't get an identity and that is what hurts it. The Star Wars ride, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, The Stunt Car Show, Hollywood Tower of Terror, and Aerosmith Roller Coaster and Muppets in 3-D are about all that is there for entertainment. Everything else is pretty mild...this is the park I enjoy the least.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

On Friday, we went to Animal Kingdom. First thing we did was the Safari ride. It was really neat if you like animals. They had lots of wild/exotic animals - it was as if you were on a real African safari. There is a bug attraction/show that is themed like A Bug's Life. Great for kids and adults - although it may scare young ones a bit. This park is also where they have the Tree Of Life. It's really cool to see. It's a fake tree with carvings of animals in it. And the thing is huge. Expedition Everest is really fun roller coaster - we rode it 3 times. They also have raft ride that is like Fury Of The Nile at Worlds of Fun, only twice as good. It holds 10 or 12 people and I think half our party got completely soaked. They also have this cool dinosaur themed ride - kind of a Back To The Future/Jurassic Park thing. .

I assume you rode the Safari first thing in the AM....that is when the animals are most active, mostly because they are being fed. The Tree of Life is so cool...and even more fun to pick out all the animals that are interwoven together in the carvings. The Bugs Life is fun, but it really does scare many little ones, especially at the end (you know what I mean). Expedition Everest is not for anyone scared of roller coasters, but must be ridden at least once. The Kali River Rapids are a ride best enjoyed when you want to cool down, and is another ride that guarantees you WILL leave it wet. My son and I ride the Dinosaur ride at least 3 times when we go. But if you have back or neck problems I wouldn't suggest trying it. You didn't mention the Primeval Whirl in DinoLand...did you ride it? That was actually pretty fun even though it was in an area that is populated with mostly kid oriented rides.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-07-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833204)
The Bugs Life is fun, but it really does scare many little ones, especially at the end (you know what I mean).

Yea, we learned that the hard way. It started out so innocent, then they got terrified at the end..hahaha

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Fast Pass is a part of your ticket. My wife had told me that Fast Pass was something for which you had to pay extra. So, on the first day we didn't bother with it. I was planning to ask someone at some point how much and having them add it to our ticket. I never got around to it the first day. As we were entering Epcot the 2nd day, I asked and they explained that it was already part of my admission. For those that don't know, your admission is a card like a credit card. You can use this to get a fast pass to a ride that has a long line. Simply swipe the card and it prints out your Fast Pass. That way you come back during the times it says and you get into the ride within like 10 minutes, rather than waiting 45-60 (or more in some cases - i.e. Soarin'). You can also have more than one Fast Pass at a time. When you get a Fast Pass, it will say next FP available at **:** time (usually it's an hour or two from when you got that FP). While not perfect, it does substantially reduce wait times for the really popular attactions if you allow it to dictate your schedule..

FastPass is great....and can be used to to even more advantage when properly utilized. There are rides that my wife and daughter don't like riding so we get the FastPasses for everyone and my son and I use them back to back. In the mean time the wife and daughter go on rides they enjoy back to back using the passes my son and I would normally use. There is a limit to the number of FastPasses you can have at one time, but even then you can still manipulate the system. We got to know another couple that was there (an older couple) and the followed us around a couple of days...whenever we wanted to get a second set of FastPasses they would use their cards to get us even more. Plus, with the Year of a Million Dreams the Disney Cast members are randomly handing out One Day fast passes....

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

- We stayed in the campground, Fort Wilderness. They had a ton of stuff there to do. There were 2 or 3 swimming pools, basketball courts, pony rides, wagon rides, campfire marshmallow roasting, etc.) but we really didn't have time to do most of that stuff. By the time we got everyone up and around, showered, and ate breakfast, it was time to go to the parks. Then we would get back at night around midnight or 1 am usually. Too late to do much of anything other than go to bed. It was a whirlwind tour, I tell ya. Perhaps I'll post some pics later. Be sure to wear some comfortable walking shoes and keep applying the sunscreen.

We loved the Fort Wilderness Campground....and we set aside a night where we didn't stay at the Parks until closing so that we could do the Chip N Dale Campfire Sing Along replete with the Disney movies. We also did the Horseback riding.....

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-07-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833230)
FastPass is great....and can be used to to even more advantage when properly utilized.

Fastpass rocks. Disney does an amazing job of ride loading as well. Especially in comparison to the average SIx Flags type of theme park. The employees are very well trained.

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4833243)
Fastpass rocks. Disney does an amazing job of ride loading as well. Especially in comparison to the average SIx Flags type of theme park. The employees are very well trained.

What I really like about Disney is how clean they keep the Parks and how quickly they keep the lines moving. It's almost like they have someone watching every ride from a monitor board and add cars to the rides to accomodate the increase in ridership.

mmaddog

007 07-07-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833271)
What I really like about Disney is how clean they keep the Parks and how quickly they keep the lines moving. It's almost like they have someone watching every ride from a monitor board and add cars to the rides to accomodate the increase in ridership.

mmaddog

Agreed on that. They keep the lines moving well. I love that most all of the rides have interactive lines too.

Sure wish Walmart would do that with their checkout lines. heh

007 07-07-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833173)
The problem with most people that go is that they refuse to enjoy the parks like they are kids. The Magic Kingdom is meant to be enjoyed like you aren't an adult....but most people have a pole stuck up their butt and can't do that.

mmaddog

I spent the entire trip just enjoying watching my kids have fun. We had our challenging days but in the end, they had fun and that was all that mattered to me.

wutamess 07-07-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833173)

mmaddog

Guilty!
Hated the freaking hot ass concrete/asphalt jungle of Epcot Center.
Wouldn't go back unless kids wanted to go.
I'll keep them ignorant.

Silock 07-07-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 4832125)
Anyone have any recommendations on things to do at WDW that are inexpensive, yet something people don't do often? Like a backstage tour kind of thing or something?

^

007 07-07-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 4833739)
^

Outside of the character meals (which technically are popular), I have no idea. Mmaddog would be the authority to turn to here I think.

Mosbonian 07-07-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 4832125)

Backstage tours are expensive....if you are looking for something inexpensive and fun try the Chip-N-Dale Campfire Sing Along at Fort Wilderness one evening. About the only cost is food/drinks if you don't take it yourself. You get the chance to roast marshmallows, have a sing-along, and see 1 or 2 Disney movies all outdoors. Bring a blanket and sit on the ground or sit in the bleachers.

Depending on the time of year, go to Downtown Disney in the evening. There is usually some type of free entertainment at the stage area near the World of Disney Store. Go early enough, buy some ice cream at Ghiradelli's Ice Cream Parlor and crowd watch waiting for the evening festivities.

If you just want to kill an evening and not spend any money and are staying on property, take a tour of all the Disney hotels. The most interesting is the Animal Kingdom Lodge, where you can sit out back of the hotel around a small campfire. Occasionally you will catch a glimpse of one of the animals in the savannah.

One of the fund things to do at each resort is search for the "hidden Mickey's" that are in each resort. A couple of the resorts make a game out of it for the kids, replete with clues to their whereabouts and a prize for locating all of them at the resort.

If you have some time and don't mind forking over $40 you can rent a boat and go out on the Seven Seas Lagoon that is in front of The Magic Kingdom.

These are just a few of the inexpensive things that you can do...if these are your cup of tea, send me a PM telling me what you are specifically looking for and I can help you.

mmaddog

DaKCMan AP 07-08-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 4833521)
Guilty!
Hated the freaking hot ass concrete/asphalt jungle of Epcot Center.
Wouldn't go back unless kids wanted to go.
I'll keep them ignorant.

Really? Epcot is, by far, my favorite of the 4 parks.

Lzen 07-08-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 4833138)
Your post is so long I will touch each one individually...

Magic Kingdom really is for kids, but there are things that are meant for people of all ages....you didn't mention Mickey's PhilharMagic which is actually pretty cool, and a great place to cool down. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Railroad are actually pretty cool when it comes to rides, but remember, when you ride Splash Mountain you WILL GET WET! Buzz Lightyear's Star Command just went thru a makeover so that is why it is still fun. Most of the rest of the rides are more mild stuff meant to entertain the younger set.

mmaddog

Which one is Splash Mountain? What does it do exactly?