ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Spartacus: Blood and Sand (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=219264)

tyler360 04-03-2010 08:31 AM

They played the kidnapping and treachery perfectly. I had no idea it was going to happen.

KcMizzou 04-03-2010 08:59 PM

Intense. This show's way better than I expected.

Yeah, there's copious amount of gore, and T n' A, which is great... but there's a lot more to it than just that.

AndChiefs 04-03-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler360 (Post 6649767)
They played the kidnapping and treachery perfectly. I had no idea it was going to happen.

I caught on right when he told him he had to come quickly and without guards. But it was certainly well played.

tyler360 04-04-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 6650788)
I caught on right when he told him he had to come quickly and without guards. But it was certainly well played.

Ya that was when it tipped me off also. But the prior episodes where he flirted with it i had no clue.

irishjayhawk 04-04-2010 09:19 PM

It sounds like I should pick this show up. Is it worth my time?

Would you guys rate it above or below Mad Men, White Collar and Battlestar Galactica (season 1) which are currently on my "to do" list?

BigRedChief 04-04-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 6650643)
Intense. This show's way better than I expected.

Yeah, there's copious amount of gore, and T n' A, which is great... but there's a lot more to it than just that.

yeah its starting to grow on my too. The violence is a little over the top but thats its schtick.

KcMizzou 04-04-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6651953)

Would you guys rate it above or below Mad Men, White Collar and Battlestar Galactica (season 1) which are currently on my "to do" list?

Depends on your tastes, I guess. Tough to compare it to those shows.

The first few episodes establish the gore and T n' A... but the drama and intrigue really ramp up after that.

It starts off like, "300 : the series", but it's become a lot better than that.

Edit: Also, IMO... the acting is very good. If this were an HBO series, it'd be getting a LOT more buzz.

Silock 04-05-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Better than Mad Men and White Collar, not the same as BSG (just different). That's just my taste, though. I couldn't get into Mad Men and White Collar. Just not my preference.

AndChiefs 04-05-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6652221)
Better than Mad Men and White Collar, not the same as BSG (just different). That's just my taste, though. I couldn't get into Mad Men and White Collar. Just not my preference.

I like White Collar more myself actually. I haven't seen Mad Men.

PhillyChiefFan 04-05-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

I think it is. It's not as blood and guts as 300, and it's not as much acting and monologue as Rome, somewhere in the middle.

Pants 04-05-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 6652336)
I think it is. It's not as blood and guts as 300, and it's not as much acting and monologue as Rome, somewhere in the middle.

IMO, this shows pales in comparison to Rome. The intrigue and character development in Rome was superior in every possible way. Still, I'm watching this show and enjoying it - something that doesn't happen too much.

Tribal Warfare 04-09-2010 11:20 PM

Now, the shit has officially hit the ****ing fan

Silock 04-10-2010 01:43 PM

Yeah, shit's about to go down. And Mira is ftw.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan 04-10-2010 02:06 PM

is this show worth getting into?

pr_capone 04-10-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6664633)

absolutely

Tribal Warfare 04-16-2010 10:19 PM

Pretty good season finale

pikesome 04-17-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6681358)
Pretty good season finale

Holy ****in' shit was there some blood.

I love this show even with it's blood, violence and boobies formula.

Silock 04-18-2010 03:59 AM

That was what I call a ****ing finale! Great stuff!

BigRedChief 04-18-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikesome (Post 6683228)
I love this show even with it's blood, violence and boobies formula.

Even with?:shake: What's wrong with that formula?:p

Excellent ending. Very promising series.

Miles 04-18-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6664633)

It is sometimes hilariously trashy in the blood and tits sense but also has some great action sequences and somehow managed to have solid plot lines. In short, the first season won't win any awards but at the same time was quite entertaining.

irishjayhawk 04-18-2010 06:48 PM

Watched the first episode. If you guys and my brother hadn't exclaimed about it or warned me about episode 1, I think this would have easily gone in the rubbish bin.

I look forward to see if it does, in fact, get better.

KcMizzou 04-18-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6683358)
That was what I call a ****ing finale! Great stuff!

Holy shit, that was crazy.

Miles 04-18-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6684676)
Watched the first episode. If you guys and my brother hadn't exclaimed about it or warned me about episode 1, I think this would have easily gone in the rubbish bin.

I look forward to see if it does, in fact, get better.

I thought it was entertaining but hardly good from the start. It does improve from a guilty pleasure to something that is good but at the same time retains the guilty pleasure elements, if that makes any sense.

"Rubbish bin"? You British now? Too much BBC? (disclaimer, I watch a lot of Brit TV and movies myself)

Tribal Warfare 04-18-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6684737)
I thought it was entertaining but hardly good from the start. It does improve from a guilty pleasure to something that is good but at the same time retains the guilty pleasure elements, if that makes any sense.

Boobs and bush

tyler360 04-18-2010 07:37 PM

The season finale was really well done. This show has definitely improved from beginning to end.

Miles 04-18-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6684745)
Boobs and bush

The blond manipulative chick was quite hot.

L.A. Chieffan 04-19-2010 09:36 AM

turned into a ****ing clive barker movie there at the end.

loved it.

Tribal Warfare 04-19-2010 06:52 PM

Spoiler!

if you wonder what will happen next in the story

Fish 04-27-2010 08:03 AM

Just got caught up and watched the season finale yesterday. Holy shit.

The evolution of this show has been incredible. The writers have been very bold through the entire series. At first I didn't think it was going to make it as a series. But I think it has some staying power. Definitely a lot of possibilities for the second season.

vailpass 04-27-2010 11:36 AM

Any word on whether the lead actor's health will permit a Season 2?

Anyone else secretly sad that we won't be seeing anymore Xena Warrior Princess boobies?

Fish 04-27-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6718639)
Anyone else secretly sad that we won't be seeing anymore Xena Warrior Princess boobies?

Her seductive personality was hotter than her actual boobies...

As long as we still have that smokin blond Ilithyia bouncing around, I won't care...

BigRedChief 04-27-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6718639)
Any word on whether the lead actor's health will permit a Season 2?

Why not? they already have many "dream" sequesnces.

BigRedChief 04-27-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6687145)
Spoiler!

if you wonder what will happen next in the story

Let me guess....he leads a slave revolt against Rome?

Tribal Warfare 04-27-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6718869)
Let me guess....he leads a slave revolt against Rome?

Does Crixus and Sparticus survive? what famous figures did they defeat ? Where did they defeat them? In a whole did the slaves escape alive once it was said and done?

BigRedChief 04-27-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6719013)
Does Crixus and Sparticus survive? what famous figures did they defeat ? Where did they defeat them? In a whole did the slaves escape alive once it was said and done?

Spartcus had his own army and Crixus had an army mainly because they couldn't lead 70K out of Italy at the same time for logistically reasons. Crixus's army got wiped out at one battle and they rejoined lup with Spartucus later. At one time they had 70,000 soldiers and had fought to the edge of the Roman empire. Their goal was to go back home, for most Gaul and the Balkans. But for some reason lost to history instead of crossing over and going home Spartcus turns south and many battles and struggles ensue.

According to history, Spartcus was killed in the last battle in Italy but his body was never recovered. There were 35K on spartcus side in the final battle. 6K survived and they were all cruicifed and left in rows to rot and warn others along a main road of travel.

History treats Spartcus as an intelligent and great commander but it was his misteps when he turned back south that really did him in more than the Roman general Crassus.

vailpass 04-27-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6718863)
Why not? they already have many "dream" sequesnces.

True.

tyler360 04-27-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6719261)
History treats Spartcus as an intelligent and great commander but it was his misteps when he turned back south that really did him in more than the Roman general Crassus.

They set this up in a way when Spartacus and Batiatus were playing that board game and Spartacus always won. Then he said that his father had taught him about things like that since birth

Jawshco 04-27-2010 08:11 PM

Since the actor playing Spartacus, Andy Whitfield has Lymphoma Season 2 has been delayed. It's not cancelled at this point, but I'm not holding my breath. At least Season 1 had a good ending if all else fails.

irishjayhawk 06-02-2010 03:27 PM

Legitimately watched 3 episodes but ultimately found it too insulting to watch. Seriously, the nudity shots were flat out clues the editor/director/writer knew they had weak shit so they threw it in there. Any time it got slow, boobs. Any time the action wasn't cutting it, boobs.

KevB 06-02-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6794761)
Legitimately watched 3 episodes but ultimately found it too insulting to watch. Seriously, the nudity shots were flat out clues the editor/director/writer knew they had weak shit so they threw it in there. Any time it got slow, boobs. Any time the action wasn't cutting it, boobs.

And this is a problem because.......? :evil:

Fish 06-02-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

I held that mindset through the first few episodes. But it became clear over the course of the first season that the nudity was anything but a filler for actual storyline. The storyline and character development is what made the series.

Silock 06-02-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

You know how I know you're gay?

irishjayhawk 06-02-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6794909)
I held that mindset through the first few episodes. But it became clear over the course of the first season that the nudity was anything but a filler for actual storyline. The storyline and character development is what made the series.

There's actual character development?

Granted, I only watched three episodes but it was hard to get through. Character dev is my type of element. So, I'm curious there's enough development to see an actual arc?

Also, the nudity is just icing on the cake in terms of what it says about the show. It seemed very contrived from a story POV.

Silock 06-02-2010 08:21 PM

Keep going, dude. It gets way better.

KcMizzou 06-02-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6795547)
Keep going, dude. It gets way better.

Agreed. It starts off like a cheap knock off of "300"... but it's not as "dumb" as it seems in the first few episodes. It's well worth your time, IMO.

L.A. Chieffan 06-02-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 6631659)
the episode where they fight those freaks underground was by far the best. the theocolies fight was pretty badass too.

i just like it because my wife will watch it with me AND theres tits and ass in almost every scene

underground battle dude. watch it

DaKCMan AP 06-03-2010 06:47 AM

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago. If I am bored and have the time I'll watch more.

Fish 06-03-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6795442)
There's actual character development?

Granted, I only watched three episodes but it was hard to get through. Character dev is my type of element. So, I'm curious there's enough development to see an actual arc?

Also, the nudity is just icing on the cake in terms of what it says about the show. It seemed very contrived from a story POV.

Absolutely. Through the first few episodes, I really didn't expect for the series to last, let alone to hold my attention. It really really picks up after the 3rd episode or so. Comparing the season finale to the premier... you'd swear they were written by totally different people. It started as a guilty pleasure for me along the same lines of a B-rate movie I'd see on Syfy. But it actually developed into a story that had me anxious for new episodes. It's not HBO Rome quality, but it's pretty damn good.

vailpass 06-03-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Are you seriously that big of a tool?

irishjayhawk 06-03-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6796624)
Are you seriously that big of a tool?

As I've said, it's not the nudity itself, but what it represents: a cover-up for piss poor storytelling.

irishjayhawk 06-03-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6796120)
Absolutely. Through the first few episodes, I really didn't expect for the series to last, let alone to hold my attention. It really really picks up after the 3rd episode or so. Comparing the season finale to the premier... you'd swear they were written by totally different people. It started as a guilty pleasure for me along the same lines of a B-rate movie I'd see on Syfy. But it actually developed into a story that had me anxious for new episodes. It's not HBO Rome quality, but it's pretty damn good.

Then perhaps I'll pick it back up.

Pants 06-03-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6796638)
Then perhaps I'll pick it back up.

Be careful, there's still the occasional tit in there. Don't want you to throw a hissy fit over, God forbid, some nudity!

:D

vailpass 06-03-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6796637)
As I've said, it's not the nudity itself, but what it represents: a cover-up for piss poor storytelling.

Sorry, you just sounded little prissy but then again it could just be the way I percieved it. I wouldn't try to tell you what movies or shows or books to like anymore than I would expect you to tell me.
Cheers.

WoodDraw 09-19-2010 03:23 AM

Spartacus has dropped out due to cancer treatment. Not sure I can imagine the show going on with anyone else. Best of luck to him

Silock 09-19-2010 03:51 AM

Damn :(

Fish 09-19-2010 08:56 AM

SONOFA.........

Valiant 09-19-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7016052)
Spartacus has dropped out due to cancer treatment. Not sure I can imagine the show going on with anyone else. Best of luck to him

Well everyone is Spartacus anyway..

aturnis 09-19-2010 02:46 PM

Meh...show sucked anyway. Gave it every shot, but it sucks.

BigRedChief 09-19-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7016052)

Sorry to hear. The show really came on strong at the last part of the season.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-19-2010 08:21 PM

that sucks. hope he recovers, and I hope they push on with the show.
It got better every week, and the boobs were icing.

Silock 09-20-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 7019173)
Meh...show sucked anyway. Gave it every shot, but it sucks.

FALSE

vailpass 09-21-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7020846)
FALSE

It got better with every episode IMHO. By the end I very much enjoyed it.
And did I mention tits and ass?

blazzin311 09-21-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7025907)
It got better with every episode IMHO. By the end I very much enjoyed it.
And did I mention tits and ass?

Agreed. ;)

KcMizzou 09-21-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin311 (Post 7026126)
Agreed. ;)

Seconded. It started out bad, but it really improved as the season went on. If you can watch it on DVD or torrents, it's worthwhile.

Buehler445 12-11-2010 11:49 AM

Holy Cow. My buddy picked this up on Blu Ray. I watched the first episode and about told him to shove it. Goddamn that first episode was terrible. After that it kept ascending. Shit got real during and after the whore episode and crosses the line to ****ing amazing during the Revelation and Kill Them All episodes. It got to be where I couldn't wait to see the next episode. I really REALLY didn't think that would happen after the first episode.

I was amazed that they could manage SO MANY different story lines. It was really good.

The acting towards the end was out****ingstanding. Particularly on Crixus' part. The dude that played Varo was very good also. His goofy grin added a lot of comic relief.

Overall, it was a very good series (with a shitbox start).

mikeyis4dcats. 12-11-2010 01:48 PM

They are re-airing this in order starting tonight for anyone that missed it.

Great Expectations 12-12-2010 02:12 PM

Anyone know when this will be on Netflix instant streaming? Most of the other Starz stuff is on there.

KChiefs1 12-12-2010 02:22 PM

The first few episodes are brutal but it gets A LOT better!

Uncle_Ted 12-12-2010 02:44 PM

Interesting ... yea the first episode was so bad that I almost stopped watching during the episode. Might have to give it a second chance.

Buehler445 12-12-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 7250050)
Anyone know when this will be on Netflix instant streaming? Most of the other Starz stuff is on there.

It's advertised on their instant streaming commercial, but my buddy says they took it down.

Buehler445 12-12-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle_Ted (Post 7250303)
Interesting ... yea the first episode was so bad that I almost stopped watching during the episode. Might have to give it a second chance.

Do it. The first episode is literally nothing like the others. Starting with the wsecond and third one, they get progressively, exponentially better.

KChiefs1 12-12-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle_Ted (Post 7250303)

Same for me but I kept watching....glad I did!

vailpass 12-12-2010 08:25 PM

The second season looks good.I'm not always a fan of prequels but I'll watch this one.
Too bad about Sparticus being too sick to make the second season.

Buehler445 12-12-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7254303)
The second season looks good.I'm not always a fan of prequels but I'll watch this one.
Too bad about Sparticus being too sick to make the second season.

I'll give it a shot, just because the series was good.

I was thinking about how they would make a second season. I'm not so sure they could do it well. As I understand history, Spartacus and Crixus make an army and take on Rome. That would be a pretty tough transition from the first season IMO. What made the series so good (IMO at least) was that there were SO MANY subplots. Crixus and Nivea, Varo trying to get out, then his wife problems, his wife after his death, Crixus and Lucrecia, Ilithya versus everybody, Ashur vs Crixus, Doctore, Barka, and everyone else, Barka and his homo and on and on and on.

IMO, it would be tough to recreate that deep of a storyline in a second season with ALL NEW people except Sparticus, Crixus, and maybe Mira, Ashur, the crazy German and Doctore.

Pretty tough IMO. I'd be super content just leaving it where it ended.

vailpass 12-13-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7254504)
I'll give it a shot, just because the series was good.

I was thinking about how they would make a second season. I'm not so sure they could do it well. As I understand history, Spartacus and Crixus make an army and take on Rome. That would be a pretty tough transition from the first season IMO. What made the series so good (IMO at least) was that there were SO MANY subplots. Crixus and Nivea, Varo trying to get out, then his wife problems, his wife after his death, Crixus and Lucrecia, Ilithya versus everybody, Ashur vs Crixus, Doctore, Barka, and everyone else, Barka and his homo and on and on and on.

IMO, it would be tough to recreate that deep of a storyline in a second season with ALL NEW people except Sparticus, Crixus, and maybe Mira, Ashur, the crazy German and Doctore.

Pretty tough IMO. I'd be super content just leaving it where it ended.

The second season is going to be a PREQUEL. It will have all of the same characters plus more and will show how everyone came to be where they were in the first season. There is a good trailer on Starz or you can watch one here....http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

"The House of Batiatus is on the rise, basking in the glow of its infamous champion Gannicus, whose skill with a sword is matched only by his thirst for wine and women. These are the times a young Batiatus has been waiting for. Poised to overthrow his father and take control, he’ll freely betray anyone to ensure his gladiators are in the highest demand. And he’ll have his loyal and calculating wife Lucretia by his side for every underhanded scheme, drawing on the brazen talents of her seductive friend Gaia when it counts. Together, they will stop at nothing to deceive the masses, seize power, and bleed Capua dry in this audacious prequel to “Spartacus: Blood and Sand.”

Tribal Warfare 01-26-2011 04:25 PM

Liam McIntyre Is The New Spartacus, To Succeed Andy Whitfield On Starz Drama

The search for a replacement of cancer-stricken Spartacus star Andy Whitfield is over. Australian actor Liam McIntyre has been named the new star of the Starz drama series, which became a breakout hit for the pay cable channel when it first launched a year ago. McIntyre was one of 3 actors who were flown to New Zealand to audition in November. He was the only one that remained in consideration after the test while the network continued to see other candidates. Starz brass reportedly liked his acting abilities but he was asked to bulk up his thin frame in order to pass off as a believable gladiator. In announcing McIntyre's casting, Starz said he "has excelled at a grueling and rigorous audition process to claim the title role in the second season" of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. The series' prequel, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, debuts on Friday. Here is more from the network's release:

McIntyre takes over the role of the Thracian warrior sold into slavery in the Roman Republic city of Capua – where he rises to become the champion of the city – before leading the slave revolt that ended Season 1. The part was played in the first season of “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” by Andy Whitfield, who was forced to leave the show in order due to health issues. Whitfield gave his blessing to the recasting.

“Since no one can really replace Andy, we realized that we should instead find an actor who can truly lead ‘Spartacus’ forward,” Straz's CEO Chris Albrecht notes. “It was important to us to have Andy endorse the idea of recasting this part, which he did in the same heroic manner that he’s dealt with his whole ordeal. And that, coupled with our fortune in finding a young actor with the gladiator credentials and the acting ability of Liam, makes it easier for us to keep this hit franchise going.”

Liam McIntyre made his mark in his native Australia on such series as “Neighbours,” and “Rush.” He also appeared in the HBO mini-series “The Pacific.” He recently completed his first feature starring role in the independent film Frozen Moments. McIntyre is currently in New Zealand, getting himself into gladiator shape in order to take on that iconic role. Production on the series is slated to resume by Spring of 2011.

McIntyre is repped by Progressive Artists' Bernard Carneol and Belle Zwerdling.

BigRedChief 01-26-2011 06:06 PM

Bummer. I hope Andy beats the big C.

Silock 01-26-2011 11:19 PM

First episode of the second season had epic boobage, lesbian scenes, plus female masturbation. Hard to beat that.

I had no idea what the story was about.

joesomebody 01-26-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7386071)
First episode of the second season had epic boobage, lesbian scenes, plus female masturbation. Hard to beat that.

I had no idea what the story was about.

It was good. Though it was really strange to see Bachiatus (sp) and the rival ludus owner as friends.

Oh, I see you had no idea what the story was about. This show has epic boobage for sure, but amazingly enough the show has a great story to it as well. If you haven't watched the first season, it's on Netflix streaming and is excellent.

Silock 01-27-2011 05:02 AM

Oh no, I loved the first season. It was awesome.

I just didn't pay attention to the story for the second season's episode because of the hot chicks.