ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Bioshock takes to the skies in Bioshock Infinite (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231946)

MoreLemonPledge 04-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 9554677)
I was going to ask about that. Is this game anywhere near as creepy as Bioshock 1? It seems the setting doesn't lend itself to enforcing a sense of dread.

I'm not terribly far into it, but it has its moments. It's not anywhere near Bioshock in that respect, but there is an overwhelming sense of something weird going on. I guess I would liken it to the creepiness of a clown compared to a zombie, if that makes sense.

SomeRandomGirl 04-03-2013 08:02 PM

Just finished the game. I'm with Dave Lane on the ending. Meh... My husband and I just kind of looked at each other and then dove into a conversation of "What?"

I love the 80s music they've got in old vaudevilley sounding music, btw.

What is 1999 mode, anyone? Just a hard level or any cool things?

Setsuna 04-03-2013 08:58 PM

Comparing it to Bioshock or System Shock is just stupid. It's not meant to be a freaking scary movie put into game form. Get over it.

MoreLemonPledge 04-03-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeRandomGirl (Post 9554994)
Just finished the game. I'm with Dave Lane on the ending. Meh... My husband and I just kind of looked at each other and then dove into a conversation of "What?"

I love the 80s music they've got in old vaudevilley sounding music, btw.

What is 1999 mode, anyone? Just a hard level or any cool things?

It's like an Insane Mode.

Gonzo 04-03-2013 11:29 PM

I've been playing it for a week or so and it is really pretty good.
I had given up on 1st person shooters after COD pretty much killed it off.

It's a good game. However, my disc also came with the first Bioshock. That one is a creepy ****er.

Imon Yourside 04-03-2013 11:35 PM

Again I will reiterate if you want a good story check out I Am Alive, it came out last year. It's the bomb, of course I should mention it reminded me of Mirrors Edge although scary which was one of my favorite games last decade. :D

Gravedigger 04-04-2013 12:34 AM

I got into Dead Space and beat all three I think I'll do the same with this franchise. I took a long hiatus from gaming for awhile so it's good to catch up on some of the great franchises I missed out on.

scorpio 04-04-2013 07:50 AM

Finished it Tuesday night. Really enjoyed it, probably the most gaming fun I've had since Deus Ex: HR

jjjayb 04-04-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9555162)
Comparing it to Bioshock or System Shock is just stupid. It's not meant to be a freaking scary movie put into game form. Get over it.

Yes, lets not compare it to it's predecessors. :rolleyes: Why in the world should we compare star wars 1 to star wars 2? That wouldn't make sense would it?

Setsuna 04-04-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9555634)
Finished it Tuesday night. Really enjoyed it, probably the most gaming fun I've had since Deus Ex: HR

I just got that a month ago on 360! Haven't played it past the first part when he gets rick rolled by that enhanced guy before he got 100 million dollar man'd. I also got Dark Souls but I've been too busy can't sit down and enjoy either of them on a constant basis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 9555990)
Yes, lets not compare it to it's predecessors. :rolleyes: Why in the world should we compare star wars 1 to star wars 2? That wouldn't make sense would it?

You compare everything but the atmosphere as I've noticed everyone on here fell in love with the heart pounding dark atmosphere of the previous games. A little child could tell Infinite is NOTHING like those others in atmosphere. So that can't even be compared when you're already biased on it. But hey let's not think objectively here. Why would anyone do that? Living life subjectively is the tits!

Gonzo 04-05-2013 09:23 PM

Ok... I just beat it. Now then, my question here is.

WTF WAS THAT SHIT ALL ABOUT?

Imon Yourside 04-05-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9560727)
Ok... I just beat it. Now then, my question here is.

WTF WAS THAT SHIT ALL ABOUT?

WARNING DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/28/un...g-explanation/

Reaper16 04-08-2013 09:25 PM

Awesome ending. Awesome narrative; one of the very best I've ever seen in a video game. Stupendous job of balancing thematic concerns with narrative. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the final battle.

DC.chief 04-09-2013 07:20 AM

Finished it on hard a couple days ago and started 1999 mode last night. Holy balls what a game. I loved the first two and had high expectations for infinite and it some how exceeded them.

lcarus 04-09-2013 07:48 AM

Something that is helping me with 1999 mode: sniper rifle. Stay away and take off heads.

DC.chief 04-09-2013 08:10 AM

I used the hell out of the sniper rifle on my first play through. That, the dragoon looking hand cannon and the carbine. If you fully upgrade the SN is shoots fast as hell. Those three weapons made medium difficulty a cake walk.

DJJasonp 05-20-2013 07:33 PM

Just finished infinite.....put me down for someone who really enjoyed the ending. I like movies and endings that dont necessarily answer every question directly....so I enjoyed it.

I'm sad now though......as I feel I'm saying goodbye to an old friend.

Guess I got to wait for DLC.

I do have a question about a certain scene that was in the trailer, but I didnt experience it during gameplay........but I'm not sure how to do the hide-spoilers thing.

It's a pretty dramatic scene from the trailer though....if anyone recalls what I'm thinking of.

Is there certain scenes that dont happen or happen, based upon the decisions you make (this first time through, I'm not in 99 mode)

Setsuna 05-21-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 9695817)
Just finished infinite.....put me down for someone who really enjoyed the ending. I like movies and endings that dont necessarily answer every question directly....so I enjoyed it.

I'm sad now though......as I feel I'm saying goodbye to an old friend.

Guess I got to wait for DLC.

I do have a question about a certain scene that was in the trailer, but I didnt experience it during gameplay........but I'm not sure how to do the hide-spoilers thing.

It's a pretty dramatic scene from the trailer though....if anyone recalls what I'm thinking of.

Is there certain scenes that dont happen or happen, based upon the decisions you make (this first time through, I'm not in 99 mode)

I haven't played it and I can say with certainty that it was just to market. If you're talking about the TV spot obviously it was to market but if you're talking about a trailer with gameplay in it, then the wiki said it just wasn't put into the game.

jiveturkey 06-28-2013 08:11 AM

I finally got around to playing this. It's definitely not comparable to the underwater versions. Totally different feel.

I loved the story and having a companion during the game. Elizabeth was an awesome character.

There were a couple of vigors I never even used. I really like the fireball, electricity and possession.

I wonder what the DLC's will include? If they don't involve the main characters then I'm probably not going to give a poop.

Mother****erJones 06-28-2013 09:12 AM

I liked infinite but I had more fun with 2.

hometeam 06-28-2013 08:22 PM

I got to a certain point and stopped playing. The gameplay was quite good, but like borderlands, became repetitive.

Still a worthwhile game to suck up some time.

Dartgod 12-30-2013 12:34 PM

I got this for Christmas and have put quite a few hours into it already. I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't have the same "creepiness" factor as the original, but very good anyway.

007 12-30-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10321744)
I got this for Christmas and have put quite a few hours into it already. I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't have the same "creepiness" factor as the original, but very good anyway.

This will be free on PSN+ in January.

Dartgod 12-30-2013 06:21 PM

What is PSN+?

jd1020 12-30-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10322627)
What is PSN+?

Something thats not free.

Mother****erJones 12-30-2013 06:30 PM

This game was underwhelming for me. Not as good as hyped. They showed stuff as gameplay and took it out. I beat it and traded it in

Mother****erJones 12-30-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10322493)
This will be free on PSN+ in January.

Guru, where can I find a list of upcoming free ps+ games? If there is one

007 12-31-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10322644)
Guru, where can I find a list of upcoming free ps+ games? If there is one

Playstation blog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

007 12-31-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10322627)
What is PSN+?

A really kickass service on Playstation 3, Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita that you pay $50 per year for and you get tons of quality games every single month at no extra charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10322639)
Something thats not free.

picky pickyLMAO

Dartgod 12-31-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10323555)
A really kickass service on Playstation 3, Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita that you pay $50 per year for and you get tons of quality games every single month at no extra charge.

picky pickyLMAO

Oh. I'm a computer gamer. The only console I have is a Wii that I never use.

mnchiefsguy 01-01-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10323554)

Do they add the new games on the 1st of the month? I just joined PS+ in December, and I notice the new games are not on there today, and was not sure what day of the month they update the lineup.

007 01-01-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10326632)
Do they add the new games on the 1st of the month? I just joined PS+ in December, and I notice the new games are not on there today, and was not sure what day of the month they update the lineup.

No, the add a couple each week. Usually on Tuesday nights. Once you have them you can play them forever as long as you remain a member of PSN+.

mnchiefsguy 01-01-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10326651)
No, the add a couple each week. Usually on Tuesday nights. Once you have them you can play them forever as long as you remain a member of PSN+.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Do I have to leave the games on my PS3 hard drive... i.e. if I delete a game to make room, and want to play it again later, can I re-download it since it is on my playstation download list?

007 01-01-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10326686)
Cool. Thanks for the info. Do I have to leave the games on my PS3 hard drive... i.e. if I delete a game to make room, and want to play it again later, can I re-download it since it is on my playstation download list?

As long as your are a PSN+ member you can delete and redownload as often as you want. Even if your membership lapses for a few months the games will still be there when you re join. Its a great services.

mnchiefsguy 01-01-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10326702)
As long as your are a PSN+ member you can delete and redownload as often as you want. Even if your membership lapses for a few months the games will still be there when you re join. Its a great services.

Cool. That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I was correct. I bit the bullet and bought a year when it was $29.99 in November, and then I got a year for Chirstmas as well. So i am set for a long awhile. I have downloaded some games, but have not had time to play during the holidays. Looking forward to getting into it more in the new year. Thanks for the info!

lcarus 01-01-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9781403)
I liked infinite but I had more fun with 2.

Bioshock 2 was great. It gets a lot of hate for whatever reason. But I think Infinite is a masterpiece and I wouldn't consider Bioshock 2 a masterpiece.

Reaper16 01-02-2014 07:12 AM

Bioshock 2 is average at best because, gameplay wise, it lacked all of the delicate pacing and atmosphere of the first one. It is far below average -- terrible actually -- when it comes to the story and themes. It's a bunch of heavy-handed false equivocating. Gross.

Quesadilla Joe 01-14-2014 02:38 AM

Just a reminder...

Quote:

BioShock Infinite will be available to download on PS3 tomorrow, and it'll be completely free for PS Plus members as part of the Instant Game Collection. That's a hefty freebie.

The 14 for 14 Vita and PS3 sale is also happening now, with games up to 75 percent off for Plus members, including Crysis 3 for $5, Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (a Cross Buy title) for $5.25, Puppeteer for $7 and The Wolf Among Us season pass for $13.50.
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/13/bi...=rss_truncated

007 01-14-2014 03:03 AM

Is Puppetter and Lone Survivor any good?

mnchiefsguy 01-14-2014 01:17 PM

Looked for BioShock around 1 am last night/this morning but it was not on there yet....hopefully it will available when I get home tonight.

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2014 03:25 PM

Just finished Infinite and all I can say is wow.....incredibly awesome game.

Question, since I got the game through Playstation Plus, can I still buy the DLC...or do I need to buy the game first. Does anyone know if the Playstation Plus versions of games work with separately purchased DLC?

Now I am thinking of buying the first Bioshock...which version is considered the best...PC or PS3? I noticed Steam had a Bioshock HD for 20 bucks, I will probably wait for their next big sale if the PC version is the best way to go.

The Franchise 02-07-2014 04:43 PM

Played a couple of hours of the first Bioshock. Meh.

Mother****erJones 02-07-2014 07:26 PM

This bioshock was very meh. 2 was awesome!

Mother****erJones 02-07-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10419443)
Just finished Infinite and all I can say is wow.....incredibly awesome game.

Question, since I got the game through Playstation Plus, can I still buy the DLC...or do I need to buy the game first. Does anyone know if the Playstation Plus versions of games work with separately purchased DLC?

Now I am thinking of buying the first Bioshock...which version is considered the best...PC or PS3? I noticed Steam had a Bioshock HD for 20 bucks, I will probably wait for their next big sale if the PC version is the best way to go.

2 is my favorite bioshock. Infinite sucked IMO

mnchiefsguy 02-07-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10419797)
2 is my favorite bioshock. Infinite sucked IMO

I loved Infinite, but it is the only one I have played. Why is 2 your favorite?

Third Eye 02-07-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10419800)

For the record, 2 was universally panned and 1 is considered to be one of the benchmarks in video game storytelling. Of course everybody has their own opinions, but the aggregate would seem to indicate Bioshock >>> Infinite >>>>>>>>>>>>>Bioshock 2.

TimBone 02-08-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10419800)

Dude, go back and play the first two Bioshocks. Rapture is such a better setting than Columbia.

TimBone 02-08-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10420154)
For the record, 2 was universally panned and 1 is considered to be one of the benchmarks in video game storytelling. Of course everybody has their own opinions, but the aggregate would seem to indicate Bioshock >>> Infinite >>>>>>>>>>>>>Bioshock 2.

I've never understood the hate for Bioshock 2. Maybe it was because the storytelling in the first one was so top notch that almost anything was going to be a letdown after that.
It's funny this thread popped up tonight because I'm in the middle of going back and playing the first two. The original wins as far as storytelling, setting, and creepiness factor...but I've enjoyed the game play in part two a little more than the first.

For the record, I thought Infinite was cool, but it's such a departure from the first two that it almost made me feel like it was a different game.

Third Eye 02-08-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10420196)
I've never understood the hate for Bioshock 2. Maybe it was because the storytelling in the first one was so top notch that almost anything was going to be a letdown after that.
It's funny this thread popped up tonight because I'm in the middle of going back and playing the first two. The original wins as far as storytelling, setting, and creepiness factor...but I've enjoyed the game play in part two a little more than the first.

For the record, I thought Infinite was cool, but it's such a departure from the first two that it almost made me feel like it was a different game.

I probably judge 2 too harshly just because the original is a top 3 video game experience for me. If Infinite followed 1, I'd probably have just as low of an opinion of it. Though looking at scores, it's clear that I'm not the only one who felt let down by 2.

TimBone 02-08-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10420203)
I probably judge 2 too harshly just because the original is a top 3 video game experience for me. If Infinite followed 1, I'd probably have just as low of an opinion of it. Though looking at scores, it's clear that I'm not the only one who felt let down by 2.

Yea, you're far from the only one. Half the gamers I know despise the game. I believe you nailed the reasoning too.....it's not a bad game by any means, it just was a decent sequel to a grand slam of a game. Most gamers look at the original Bioshock the same way you do. I think part 2 was doomed from the start due to how magnificent the first game turned out.

mnchiefsguy 02-08-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

That is what I had read, so I was surprised to see someone cite 2 as their favorite. I plan on playing the other two....just keeping my eye to get them on sale for a cheap price.

DJJasonp 02-08-2014 11:24 AM

I enjoyed all three. 1 and 3 are both probably in my top 10. While yes, the settings of infinite are quite different than rapture - I felt infinite's story and character-building returned to the level of 1.

And as of last night, I have a new game in my top 5.......just finished Last of Us.

What an experience!

mnchiefsguy 02-08-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 10420425)
I enjoyed all three. 1 and 3 are both probably in my top 10. While yes, the settings of infinite are quite different than rapture - I felt infinite's story and character-building returned to the level of 1.

And as of last night, I have a new game in my top 5.......just finished Last of Us.

What an experience!

Last of Us is sitting on my shelf. Not sure if I will play that next. I have Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Injustice, Uncharted 2 and 3 that I want to play.

I must still be on a Bioshock high...because I would probably start playing the first one if it was sitting on my shelf.

What would be a good price for the first two? I wanna say my local Wal-Mart had a 2 pack of 1 and 2 for like 20 bucks.

Fish 02-08-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yup.

Bioshock was really incredible. I was sucked into that game hard core. Bioshock 2 was borderline turd stain. I neglected to play Infinite for a long time after being so disappointed with 2.

DJJasonp 02-09-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10420447)
Last of Us is sitting on my shelf. Not sure if I will play that next. I have Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Injustice, Uncharted 2 and 3 that I want to play.

I must still be on a Bioshock high...because I would probably start playing the first one if it was sitting on my shelf.

What would be a good price for the first two? I wanna say my local Wal-Mart had a 2 pack of 1 and 2 for like 20 bucks.

I think I saw that same two-pack for 20 bucks as well. a good deal.

I've never felt/cared for characters in a video game like I did in Last of Us.

Infinite was awesome, and I really liked the story and ending. But Last of Us puts you in the middle of a movie-quality experience. It was amazing.

Spoiler!

GloucesterChief 02-09-2014 10:55 AM

I think the problem with 2 is that you really didn't feel like a Big Daddy when playing which hurts the concept of the game.

Mother****erJones 02-10-2014 05:57 PM

Infinite just didn't seem as fun to me

Gonzo 02-11-2014 01:36 PM

It's been a while since I last played the first one or Infinite. I liked both games even though I'm not into FPS games anymore.

lcarus 04-02-2014 05:09 PM

Anyone else playing Burial At Sea: Episode 2? I started it yesterday. It's kinda hard. This from someone who beat the main campaign on 1999 mode. I'm playing this on normal and it's kind of a bitch. Maybe I'm just rusty?

And also...it's awesome so far.

Lzen 04-28-2014 09:37 PM

Just finished Infinite. Pretty cool game. That ending. ....mind ****.

Lzen 04-28-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10535485)
Anyone else playing Burial At Sea: Episode 2? I started it yesterday. It's kinda hard. This from someone who beat the main campaign on 1999 mode. I'm playing this on normal and it's kind of a bitch. Maybe I'm just rusty?

And also...it's awesome so far.

What is that? DLC?