ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The new Dune 2 trailer may very well be the best trailer for a movie I've ever seen (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351368)

-King- 03-10-2024 01:41 AM

Felt the first Dune was better and told a better story. I don't have the book to compare it to do I'll leave that to Frazod but this movie felt too much like a set-up. Even knowing there was going to be a part 3, I just didn't feel like the story was moved along well and it wasn't paced right. First one felt slow because they were trying to tell an epic story right. This one felt slow because they knew they had a 3rd movie to do.

Pablo 03-10-2024 07:50 AM

Saw this yesterday at the Liberty B&B Screen X. THAT WAS AMAZING. See it that way if possible. The best film I’ve watched in theaters going back 20 years to the LOTR series. It lived up the the hype and then some

What a masterpiece. Wish I had read the source material a long time ago but this film ****ing ruled. Will likely see it again soon

Pablo 03-10-2024 07:58 AM

Lololol I posted first then went back and read this thread. fraz not a fan eh?

Guess I’m a little glad I didn’t fall in love with the source material first

Pablo 03-10-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17426799)
I would definitely let Lady Jessica have it. That is a sexy space witch even with all the shit on her face.

I'd let her drink my worm juice if you know what i mean..

BWillie 03-10-2024 09:35 AM

I would like to know why I hate Star Wars but I love Dune? People say that Star Wars was inspired by the Dune book.

Pablo 03-10-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17434793)
I would like to know why I hate Star Wars but I love Dune? People say that Star Wars was inspired by the Dune book.

Because you were exposed to Stars Wars people like Clay your whole life but there wasn't a Dune subculture?

BWillie 03-10-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17434802)
Because you were exposed to Stars Wars people like Clay your whole life but there wasn't a Dune subculture?

You know that definitely could be it I guess. The special effects I feel like were not good enough to make a movie like the original Star Wars so it just looked and felt way, way too corny for me.

I imagine if I watched 1984 Dune it would be super duper cheese.

Pablo 03-10-2024 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17434809)
You know that definitely could be it I guess. The special effects I feel like were not good enough to make a movie like the original Star Wars so it just looked and felt way, way too corny for me.

I imagine if I watched 1984 Dune it would be super duper cheese.

I'm sure it sucks. Trying to create great Sci-Fi without the processing power we have this century is a tall task.

Oh look, their ship is just hurdling thru space right now!!

*shakes shoebox spray painted silver with strobe lights in the background*

1977 crowds:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-08-2016/kE7OWd.gif

Frazod 03-10-2024 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17434706)
Lololol I posted first then went back and read this thread. fraz not a fan eh?

Guess I’m a little glad I didn’t fall in love with the source material first

It's kind of like Starship Troopers. I hadn't read the book when I first saw the movie, and despite it being rather silly, I loved it. To this day it's one of my favorites. My friend Russ (who used to post here as KCWolfman) loved the book, and hated the movie the same way I hate every adaption of Dune. I did eventually read the book, and I definitely understand why he feels that way. Paul Verhoeven (who also did Robocop and Total Recall) absolutely raped the source material, far worse than Lynch or Villeneuve did Dune. Thank God I didn't read the book first - I may well have set fire to the theater. :D

It's the curse of being old, I guess. I predate Star Wars, and remember what science fiction movies were like before that. Even the ones with good stories had usually special effects you could duplicate by hanging toys from strings and setting them on fire. But at this point, pretty much anything you can imagine can be presented on screen like it's real, and it's been that way for decades now. Younger generations just don't get that, and never will. Especially the ones who never read a book that didn't have pictures in it.

BigBeauford 03-10-2024 04:13 PM

"Dune 2(IMAX)": an audiovisual spectacle the likes of which not seen since "1917", featuring an uncompelling pair of leads and a forgettable script

Pablo 03-10-2024 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17434986)
It's kind of like Starship Troopers. I hadn't read the book when I first saw the movie, and despite it being rather silly, I loved it. To this day it's one of my favorites. My friend Russ (who used to post here as KCWolfman) loved the book, and hated the movie the same way I hate every adaption of Dune. I did eventually read the book, and I definitely understand why he feels that way. Paul Verhoeven (who also did Robocop and Total Recall) absolutely raped the source material, far worse than Lynch or Villeneuve did Dune. Thank God I didn't read the book first - I may well have set fire to the theater. :D

It's the curse of being old, I guess. I predate Star Wars, and remember what science fiction movies were like before that. Even the ones with good stories had usually special effects you could duplicate by hanging toys from strings and setting them on fire. But at this point, pretty much anything you can imagine can be presented on screen like it's real, and it's been that way for decades now. Younger generations just don't get that, and never will. Especially the ones who never read a book that didn't have pictures in it.

Starship Troopers kicks ass. I've never read the book either but I ****ing love that movie. It was one of the first R rated movies I remember my dad letting me watch when we first got cable. I watched the shower scene many many times.

Frazod 03-10-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17435417)
Starship Troopers kicks ass. I've never read the book either but I ****ing love that movie. It was one of the first R rated movies I remember my dad letting me watch when we first got cable. I watched the shower scene many many times.

I knew nothing about it when I went to see it. I just assumed it would be a typical sci-fi Star Wars type action movie, so I brought my then-girlfriend/now wife. She doesn't like gory movies, and Starship Troopers is pretty much a blood-soaked war movie in a sci-fi setting. Needless to say she was not happy. There were a couple of times when I thought she was going to puke in my lap. LMAO I loved it, though, and I've watched it many times. Never gets old and the special effects still hold up well. Some of the best space battle scenes of all time.

The book is fantastic, though, and nothing like the movie, outside of fighting bugs (that actually used armor and equipment) and a few of the character names. Another one of my friends hated it because one of the main things in the book was the troops using power armor, and that wasn't in the movie at all.

Heinlein must have been spinning in his grave over it.

O.city 03-11-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17434986)

I've had conversations with my father in law about this type of thing. I think it's where now, we have to ability to actually show all this stuff with technology and CGI that we don't have to have any imaginations. Everyone's adaptation was different because alot was left to the imagination.

BigRichard 03-15-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17435417)

Not sure if you go into the 50+ Hotties thread but someone just posted some pictures of the one red headed girl in there and she still is hot as hell at 50.

I was trying to embed the shower scene from reddit but it kept autoplaying so here is just a link. Definitely NSFW

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenMattePl...r_scene_1080p/

Hammock Parties 03-15-2024 07:29 PM

Wow. ****ing incredible.

I do wish we had gotten the poison blade sequence at the end, but DV actually made me believe he was going to kill Paul.

And just an incredible transition from Paul Atreides to Usul after the Water of Life sequence. Chamalet nailed it. The whole sequence with the Fremen council was spellbinding.

Only two criticisms:

Kinda wish we had gotten music when the giant sandworm breached during the mounting sequence, and the rest of the fremen climbing on board. I still prefer the '84 sequence.

Walken kinda sucked. I felt that role was miscast.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2024 07:36 PM

Re: Chani

I get why people don't like it, but I think it was played to great dramatic effect.

It will make their uniting again in Messiah that much stronger.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 17424332)
Yes he is really dead. Also, no he's not.

heh heh

looking forward to this

Hammock Parties 03-16-2024 08:50 PM

stop complaining fraz

<iframe width="841" height="473" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MNomdgI-_Qs" title="DUNE: Dispensing CRIMSON RED PILLS" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 03-17-2024 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17445895)

I get why people don't like it, but I think it was played to great dramatic effect.

Hey asshole. Put that shit in spoiler

Hammock Parties 03-19-2024 09:17 PM

so Kathleen Turner did Jessica's "voice"? ****ing badass

<iframe width="1280" height="832" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JsBT4sCkP4A" title="Who voiced Rebecca Ferguson&#39;s...voice? #duneparttwo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 03-21-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17445895)

Oh no.

They Strong Womaned her, didn't they?

I mean damn, she wasn't some wilting daisy in the books. But yeah, I can probably guess what happened here - Didn't like him marrying Irulan and wasn't gonna be some Royal Consort so she peaced out.

I mean that was exactly what Jessica was and she's one of the strongest female characters in modern literary history but nope - can't have that in a modern blockbuster....

Bowser 03-23-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17450733)
so Kathleen Turner did Jessica's "voice"? ****ing badass

<iframe width="1280" height="832" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JsBT4sCkP4A" title="Who voiced Rebecca Ferguson&#39;s...voice? #duneparttwo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I crush so hard on this woman.

If you have never watched the movie Dr. Sleep, I implore you to go do so now. Rebecca Ferguson is amazing. And hot as ****.

Hammock Parties 03-23-2024 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17452837)
Oh no.

They Strong Womaned her, didn't they?

I mean damn, she wasn't some wilting daisy in the books. But yeah, I can probably guess what happened here - Didn't like him marrying Irulan and wasn't gonna be some Royal Consort so she peaced out.

I mean that was exactly what Jessica was and she's one of the strongest female characters in modern literary history but nope - can't have that in a modern blockbuster....

Nah it isn't that bad. Like it's not Rey level problems.

I'm interested to see where her character goes.

Hammock Parties 03-23-2024 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17455376)
I crush so hard on this woman.

If you have never watched the movie Dr. Sleep, I implore you to go do so now. Rebecca Ferguson is amazing. And hot as ****.

Massive tits. Underrated bombshell.

Graystoke 03-26-2024 08:34 PM

Welp, saw this tonight.

I need to settle down a bit and gather my thoughts before I make my final determination because I’m a little pissed right now.

srvy 03-27-2024 02:42 PM

I took my family to see this last night also. I enjoyed Dune as written by Villeneuve and was heartbroken that Frank Herbert's novel has still not been brought to the cinema. Its been nearly 50 years I suppose since I read Dune and had so much hope after part one. My wife daughter and son loved the movie, so I didn't bring them down with my disappointment. I did encourage them to read the book and dug it out for any who might.

Fraz hit the just of it all in the spoilers so I wont go into that. I just know now that the coming movies will be botched and I have lost hope the Dune books will never be brought to the big screen.

Frazod 03-27-2024 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 17459793)
I took my family to see this last night also. I enjoyed Dune as written by Villeneuve and was heartbroken that Frank Herbert's novel has still not been brought to the cinema. Its been nearly 50 years I suppose since I read Dune and had so much hope after part one. My wife daughter and son loved the movie, so I didn't bring them down with my disappointment. I did encourage them to read the book and dug it out for any who might.

Fraz hit the just of it all in the spoilers so I wont go into that. I just know now that the coming movies will be botched and I have lost hope the Dune books will never be brought to the big screen.

The first thing I did on the way home from the theater was call my best friend to warn him not to see it. It was his copy of Dune that I first read back in high school. He would have been just as pissed off and disappointed as I was, and I saved him that pain.

Graystoke 03-28-2024 12:24 PM

I have had a couple days to reflect on this.

I had pretty high hopes after seeing Dune 1. In Dune 1 they made some obvious changes, but I thought, hey I can live with this. Dune 2 was a botch job folks.
Fraz indeed covered most if not all my gripes.
Perhaps cinema will never be able to meet my standards I have for this classic.

The take I get is most people who have never read the book enjoyed this movie.
People who read Dune and the following novels are most likely not happy.
I just find it an insult to the novel Dune and to all the book fans.

Hammock Parties 03-29-2024 10:37 AM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...lA&oe=660BDFAE

Rausch 03-29-2024 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17461772)

I'd watch that.

BWillie 03-30-2024 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 17460651)
I have had a couple days to reflect on this.

I had pretty high hopes after seeing Dune 1. In Dune 1 they made some obvious changes, but I thought, hey I can live with this. Dune 2 was a botch job folks.
Fraz indeed covered most if not all my gripes.
Perhaps cinema will never be able to meet my standards I have for this classic.

The take I get is most people who have never read the book enjoyed this movie.
People who read Dune and the following novels are most likely not happy.
I just find it an insult to the novel Dune and to all the book fans.

I'm extremely happy I never read the book.

Urc Burry 04-01-2024 07:57 AM

Saw it last night… I’ve listened to the audiobooks (which are the best done I’ve ever listened to) over the last few months. But outside of Dune 2000 on pc, I had no history with the franchise. So take that fwiw.

I thought it was amazing. Better than the first even. Visually stunning obviously. Some gripes with the Chani storyline, but to be fair it is a massive story to fit into two movies.

This might sound corny, but I had legit goosebumps multiple times throughout the movie. Felt like watching a playoff game at certain times.

Edit - side note. Do movies start on there actually show time now? Got there around 802 for a 750 showing assuming there are 20-30 min of previews and missed the first 10 min LMAO

Fish 05-15-2024 09:08 AM

Hadn't heard of this...

<iframe width="1920" height="1080" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EEoQAoEGLhw" title="Dune: Prophecy | Official Teaser | Max" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 05-15-2024 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17519758)
Hadn't heard of this...

<iframe width="1920" height="1080" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EEoQAoEGLhw" title="Dune: Prophecy | Official Teaser | Max" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why not but that trailer didn't do much for me

DJ's left nut 05-15-2024 01:22 PM

A warning - that looks like it's probably going to be based on some of the Brian Herbert, Kevin Anderson stuff.

And those books were largely shite. I mean just as paint by numbers boring sci-fi as it gets.

Frazod 05-15-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17520362)
A warning - that looks like it's probably going to be based on some of the Brian Herbert, Kevin Anderson stuff.

And those books were largely shite. I mean just as paint by numbers boring sci-fi as it gets.

I liked the House books quite a bit, mainly because it featured younger versions of the familiar characters. A series set during that time period would be my preference. The ones dealing with the distant past, like you said, weren't that good.

Of course, a series about the early Bene Gesserit checks off all the woke Hollywood boxes. All the main characters/heroes will be women, with a few guys tossed in to be villains/servants/bumbling comic relief. It will probably end up being like the Witcher series, only without the witcher. Zero interest/hard pass.

DJ's left nut 05-15-2024 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17520490)
I liked the House books quite a bit, mainly because it featured younger versions of the familiar characters. A series set during that time period would be my preference. The ones dealing with the distant past, like you said, weren't that good.

Of course, a series about the early Bene Gesserit checks off all the woke Hollywood boxes. All the main characters/heroes will be women, with a few guys tossed in to be villains/servants/bumbling comic relief. It will probably end up being like the Witcher series, only without the witcher. Zero interest/hard pass.

Yeah - combining Dune: Chapterhouse with the really early Dune (chronologically) books just cannot possibly work.

It's like the weirdest of all that shit combined (well, apart from Sand Trout and Worm God). But I'm guessing they'll just rip off Sisterhood because...well, it's just easier. And lazier. And probably worse.

It could've worked. Maybe it should've. The Butlerian Jihad had potential and Battle of Corrin wasn't bad; established the Harkonnen/Atreides hatred pretty nicely.

Story wise, it could've been worse. I just don't think Herbert/Anderson are very good writers. The Titans and the half titan robot things (don't remember their names) and all that just seemed such tropey sci-fi shit. Norma becoming...what Norma became...just seemed a dues ex Machina that, again, felt lazy as hell. The Guild didn't NEED that to happen to exist. But they needed some omnipotent being to show up to eventually wrap the story up.

I dunno - it's just not very good.

DJ's left nut 05-23-2024 03:19 PM

Watched the 2nd Dune movie.

Kinda agree with the disappointment. This one was weirder, for sure.

And yeah, the Chani stuff was awfully disappointing. That's....not how it went. They took Paul's reservations and concerns and just had Chani turn into a heavy and voice them. They essentially turned Paul into something of a warmonger and zealot so that Chani could girlboss, I guess.

And Florence Pugh wasn't...I dunno...elegant enough? I thought that was good casting when I first saw it, but she came across far more...ordinary. i always thought of Irulan as almost ephemeral. Lithe and graceful. Pugh was...not that. She seemed like she was playing a character from Game of Thrones. Perhaps my read on the book character is just wrong - I'll consider that possibility. But it wasn't what I expected. Knowing who she is more in Messiah makes that character portrayal make more sense, but that's NOT who she is in Dune, IMO. They took later versions of her character and moved it forward.

MORE GURNEY!!! Hell, more Lady Margot; what is the point of getting Lea Seydoux play that character and then really just not use her at all? And again, man I love Bardem as Stilgar. That is just perfect work, IMO.

But man did they do a nice job making Feyd set your skin crawling. That's a pretty loathsome character and man did they pull that one off well. That's the same actor that plays Buck in "Masters of the Air" and I definitely wouldn't have pegged that.

But yeah, i think my biggest frustration is setting Stilgar and Chani as opposites. They aren't. I just think they couldn't figure out how to get Paul's inner turmoil into the movie so they used Chani as a ham-fisted expository device. Just seemed a bit lazy to me and if they intend to keep the movie going forward into Messiah I feel like they've backed themselves into a corner.

Frazod 05-23-2024 04:15 PM

You'll have to let me know if being forewarned about the massive butchery made it better or worse.

Good call on Pugh as Irulan. Irulan is supposed to be some 10+ shit hot galactic goddess, and Chani while pretty, is more of a bony Plain Jane. Zendaya is hotter than Pugh in every conceivable way. You know who would have made a good Chani? Daisy Ridley. Oh irony. :D

Megatron96 05-23-2024 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17529339)
Watched the 2nd Dune movie.

Kinda agree with the disappointment. This one was weirder, for sure.

And yeah, the Chani stuff was awfully disappointing. That's....not how it went. They took Paul's reservations and concerns and just had Chani turn into a heavy and voice them. They essentially turned Paul into something of a warmonger and zealot so that Chani could girlboss, I guess.

And Florence Pugh wasn't...I dunno...elegant enough? I thought that was good casting when I first saw it, but she came across far more...ordinary. i always thought of Irulan as almost ephemeral. Lithe and graceful. Pugh was...not that. She seemed like she was playing a character from Game of Thrones. Perhaps my read on the book character is just wrong - I'll consider that possibility. But it wasn't what I expected. Knowing who she is more in Messiah makes that character portrayal make more sense, but that's NOT who she is in Dune, IMO. They took later versions of her character and moved it forward.

MORE GURNEY!!! Hell, more Lady Margot; what is the point of getting Lea Seydoux play that character and then really just not use her at all? And again, man I love Bardem as Stilgar. That is just perfect work, IMO.

But man did they do a nice job making Feyd set your skin crawling. That's a pretty loathsome character and man did they pull that one off well. That's the same actor that plays Buck in "Masters of the Air" and I definitely wouldn't have pegged that.

But yeah, i think my biggest frustration is setting Stilgar and Chani as opposites. They aren't. I just think they couldn't figure out how to get Paul's inner turmoil into the movie so they used Chani as a ham-fisted expository device. Just seemed a bit lazy to me and if they intend to keep the movie going forward into Messiah I feel like they've backed themselves into a corner.

Agree about Irulan. Just disappointing, imo. Not sure 'ephemeral' is the right descriptor, but "lithe and graceful," yeah I thought that too from the book.

Feyd was great. Almost a shame he's offed so quick.

The ending was just messed up. Hope they can make things work in the next one, but not sure how they're going to do it.

I made a mistake. For some reason since the new Dune movie came out, I've been mixing up Irulan and Lady Jessica. No idea why, lol. But my comments above were really about Lady Jessica. I just wasn't happy about how Florence portrayed her character. As for Irulan, I didn't expect her to be portrayed the way she was either, but it didn't bother me as much as how they decided to depict Jessica.

DJ's left nut 05-23-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17529391)
You'll have to let me know if being forewarned about the massive butchery made it better or worse.

Good call on Pugh as Irulan. Irulan is supposed to be some 10+ shit hot galactic goddess, and Chani while pretty, is more of a bony Plain Jane. Zendaya is hotter than Pugh in every conceivable way. You know who would have made a good Chani? Daisy Ridley. Oh irony. :D

I was able to compartmentalize it.

I honestly thought it would be a pretty late heel turn of sorts. So I wasn't looking for it and had it largely out of mind when they just kinda start beating you over the head with it.

It's just frustrating. Not even 'oh look, grlpwr again, I'm I right fellas" but mostly that the story of Paul and Chani is as critical to the first two stories as anything in it and it gets sidelined hard. Maybe irreparably.

DJ's left nut 05-23-2024 08:28 PM

And hell, they had an actress that could've killed as Irulan - Lea Seydoux. But she's probably a little too old at this point.

Young Lea would've been NAILS in the role.

Tribal Warfare 05-23-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17529391)

Disagree with you there Zendaya looks like a Samoan boy to me. Pugh overtakes her no question

Frazod 05-23-2024 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 17529663)
Disagree with you there Zendaya looks like a Samoan boy to me. Pugh overtakes her no question

Neither one of them exactly blows me away. But I do think Zendaya is prettier (mainly because I prefer brunettes) although she does sadly seem to have the rack of Samoan boy.

DJ's left nut 05-24-2024 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17529679)
Neither one of them exactly blows me away. But I do think Zendaya is prettier (mainly because I prefer brunettes) although she does sadly seem to have the rack of Samoan boy.

Pugh is far plainer, IMO. Sort of an ordinary cute girl; not terribly likely to turn my head to be honest. Attractive, wouldn't say no, but nothing that really stands out.

Zendaya's features are far more striking, IMO. I'd almost certainly take a genuine double-take if I saw her.

But neither are Irulan in my eyes.

I mean I don't even find Anya Taylor-Joy very attractive, but she has that kind of angular and almost delicate look that I envision with Irulan.

KCUnited 05-26-2024 06:53 AM

Rebecca Ferguson with the Florida rapper look would still get it

I enjoyed it but know nothing of the story outside of the first movie

Zebedee DuBois 05-27-2024 04:15 PM

I read Dune when I was 13-14 years old. Any brain cells dedicated to any info of the storylines were assigned to brain cells that were later sacrificed to my discovery of alcohol a few years later.

I have no expectations along storyline details - my only criteria is : Am I entertained?

Part 1: Heck ya, I was entertained. Classic story lines, compelling character performances.
Part 2: Maybe 75% of previous entertainment level. Still good performances, but story plods a bit.