ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC signs Gaither (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248361)

noa 08-11-2011 10:08 AM

Anyone who thinks Albert should be an RT ought to shampoo Cassel's crotch
Posted via Mobile Device

ToxSocks 08-11-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7817000)
Posted via Mobile Device

This. Well...something like this.

BigCatDaddy 08-11-2011 10:13 AM

Hmmmm... Future O-Line of

Gaither, Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, Mims

Sac just came a little.

Micjones 08-11-2011 10:19 AM

If the kid stays healthy he's a MAJOR upgrade along the O-Line.
Love this signing. Glad to see the FO isn't finished improving this team.

Sucks that we missed out on Roth. He signed in Jacksonville.

Next stop? Veteran QB to backup Cassel.
A utility interior O-Lineman (for depth) would be nice too.

Quesadilla Joe 08-11-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

For those asking about Jared Gaither, no, the Ravens didn't attempt to retain him. As for comp picks, formula depends on playing time, money
https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider...88431087853569

DTLB58 08-11-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 7816872)
The Ravensfication of the Chiefs continues.....

If ya can't beat em, steal all their players. :thumb:

DTLB58 08-11-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 7816880)
Wasn't the Faid trying to bring him in?

They did 3 weeks ago but he couldn't pass the physical. :doh!:

Deberg_1990 08-11-2011 10:36 AM

fascinating signing. If he can stay healthy, it will add some nice depth and competition. He really hasnt played in a ton of games, so he still has upside.

CoMoChief 08-11-2011 10:46 AM

Afraid to go back to work.....sitting in cafeteria with ginormous boner.

Reerun_KC 08-11-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7817018)
If the kid stays healthy he's a MAJOR upgrade along the O-Line.
Love this signing. Glad to see the FO isn't finished improving this team.

Sucks that we missed out on Roth. He signed in Jacksonville.

Next stop? Veteran QB to backup Cassel.
A utility interior O-Lineman (for depth) would be nice too.

Just stop with this crap... It isnt going to happen and there isnt any trashout there worth picking up...

Its trash for a reason...

kstater 08-11-2011 10:56 AM

SITTING HERE SITTING ON MY HANDS

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-11-2011 10:57 AM

Nice signing. Hope he earns that RT position... There are gonna be some wounded ****ing vaginas on here if he doesn't.

durtyrute 08-11-2011 10:58 AM

It actually seems, for the first time in my life as a chiefs fan, that this team is taking steps to be a winner, not just taking steps to fill the seats.

RealSNR 08-11-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7817000)
Posted via Mobile Device

They'll have to take a number and wait in line with some of these fans

patteeu 08-11-2011 10:59 AM

So I remember reading that one of the reasons Baltimore wouldn't be bringing Gaither back is because he was insisting that he was a LT and didn't want to move over to the right side. Have injuries and tepid interest in the free agency market changed his mind or have we signed a LT with plans to move Albert somewhere else?

Reerun_KC 08-11-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 7817108)
It actually seems, for the first time in my life as a chiefs fan, that this team is taking steps to be a winner, not just taking steps to fill the seats.

I agree with this...

Titty Meat 08-11-2011 11:01 AM

From July 26th

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...tting-gaither/

RealSNR 08-11-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7817110)
So I remember reading that one of the reasons Baltimore wouldn't be bringing Gaither back is because he was insisting that he was a LT and didn't want to move over to the right side. Have injuries and tepid interest in the free agency market changed his mind or have we signed a LT with plans to move Albert somewhere else?

I'll bet Pioli told him to STFD and STFU

Titty Meat 08-11-2011 11:04 AM

These teams last played in Week 10 of the 2008 season, when the Ravens went to Houston and dominated, 41-13. Instead of winning with their high-powered defense, the Ravens won with their offense. Ravens LT Jared Gaither (+5.8) got the best of DRE Mario Williams (-5.0) in both the pass and the run.

:)

J Diddy 08-11-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7816971)
Actually, Ben was just using an extra available jersey. He gave his away at the titty bar the night before to a girl who was bleeding from the nose after she "fell down".

He's also looking for a new wallet since he gave his to her to "stop the bleeding".

ROFL

Mr. Laz 08-11-2011 11:06 AM

ArrowheadPride Arrowhead Pride

Jared Gaither's website has a bio, says two of his best friends in football are Le'Ron McClain and Branden Albert.

37 minutes ago

The Franchise 08-11-2011 11:06 AM

Honestly.....I think there are two possible reasons that we signed Gaither.

1. Richardson is not holding up as a RT. If Gaither can get healthy....he's an instant upgrade on the right side. He'd also provide awesome depth behind Albert if Albert ever went down.

2. This is Albert's year to prove that he can play LT in the NFL at a high level. If Albert fails and Gaither is healthy....then the Chiefs already have a LT to replace Albert.

Micjones 08-11-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 7817092)
Just stop with this crap... It isnt going to happen and there isnt any trashout there worth picking up...

Its trash for a reason...

Going into the season with two inexperienced QB's behind Cassel is a mistake.
The Chiefs need to find someone who has logged some real playing time in the NFL to back him up. They should've given Bulger $2,000,000 to do it.

Tribal Warfare 08-11-2011 11:10 AM

Jared Gaither's Website Bio

Closest friends in football
: Teammates Troy Smith and Le’Ron McClain and Branden Albert of the Chiefs.

The Franchise 08-11-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7817129)
The Chiefs need to find someone who has logged some real playing time in the NFL to back him up. They should've given Drew Stanton $2,000,000 to do it.

FYP

Rausch 08-11-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7817129)
The Chiefs need to find someone who has logged some real playing time in the NFL to back him up. They should've given Bulger $2,000,000 to do it.

We drafted who we did for a reason.

We expect them to show up and play at a high level.

Period.

If your number gets called take your best game out there and showcase what you've got.

Or ****ing go play for the Raiders...

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

I would bet on it.

The important thing is that he provides us options at both tackles.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 7817131)
Jared Gaither's Website Bio

Closest friends in football
: Teammates Troy Smith and Le’Ron McClain and Branden Albert of the Chiefs.

Oh **** yes.

Can Pioli work those networks or what.

Reminds me of McCluster and Lewis vouching for Powe.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7817126)
Honestly.....I think there are two possible reasons that we signed Gaither.

1. Richardson is not holding up as a RT. If Gaither can get healthy....he's an instant upgrade on the right side. He'd also provide awesome depth behind Albert if Albert ever went down.

2. This is Albert's year to prove that he can play LT in the NFL at a high level. If Albert fails and Gaither is healthy....then the Chiefs already have a LT to replace Albert.

I am so hard right now.

Hammock Parties 08-11-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7817157)
Oh **** yes.

balla ass GM at work

mnchiefsguy 08-11-2011 11:26 AM

This is a surprise signing, and a great one. Options now at tackle, and the offense overall just improved. I think we have improved, and San Diego has at best stayed put, and maybe even taken a step back. I am starting to really like our chances to get to 10 wins again and get another divisional title.

patteeu 08-11-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7817155)
I would bet on it.

The important thing is that he provides us options at both tackles.

Bet on which? Gaither changing his attitude about moving to the right or Albert moving to make room for him at the left?

the Talking Can 08-11-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

he was unemployed...he'll do whatever they tell him to do

Rausch 08-11-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7817157)
Oh **** yes.

Nice...

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7817184)
Bet on which? Gaither changing his attitude about moving to the right or Albert moving to make room for him at the left?

Gaither's attitude changing.

The free agency market has to have humbled him, and having your best friend at a position you want to play will soothe his nerves to settle for RT.

hometeam 08-11-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7816890)
Heh. Seems like a pats kinda move. Great talent, and if he falters, cut ties with him.

I agree with this, If he makes the team, so be it, if not, no skin off my back.

let it ride!

the Talking Can 08-11-2011 11:36 AM

addtions to offense this year:

Baldwin
Breaston
McClain
Gaither
Hudson

good stuff

Rausch 08-11-2011 11:38 AM

Jared Gaither ?...

rocknrolla 08-11-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7817150)

Period.

If your number gets called take your best game out there and showcase what you've got.

THIS!

Micjones 08-11-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7817150)

Period.

Good idea.
If Cassel goes down we pin our hopes on a rookie drafted in the Fifth Round.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-11-2011 11:45 AM

The Kool-Aid Man just burst through my wall shouting PIOLI!!!

KurtCobain 08-11-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7817230)
The Kool-Aid Man just burst through my wall shouting PIOLI!!!

OH YEAH

KurtCobain 08-11-2011 11:47 AM

We are signing alot of broke dicks.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:47 AM

I seriously don't ever remember reading about a GM this far ahead of the game.

The guy brought in Sean Witherspoon for the 2010 draft season, not to work him out, but to ask him in private about Aldon Smith for the 2011 draft season.

He works player networks like nothing else, I swear to god. It's phenomenal how hard this guy works.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 7817235)
We are signing alot of broke dicks.

HOW BOUT I BREAK YOUR DICK RIGHT NOW

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT YOU BETTER WALK AWAY

DeezNutz 08-11-2011 11:49 AM

Love this signing. Very smart move.

keg in kc 08-11-2011 11:50 AM

Might want to wait and see if he can even play before getting too carried away talking about the future or whether his work ethic has been miraculously changed. Back injuries are no joke.

J Diddy 08-11-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7817223)
Good idea.

Right now our hopes are pinned on a 7th round draft pick.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 11:52 AM

I love the combination of our GM and Haley.

Pioli literally does love trying this no-risk signings and seeing what happens.

He then throws the player at Haley who puts him through the grinder, absolutely zero ****ing exceptions.

If he tries dogging on Haley, Haley will absolutely break the mother****er, and he will have to go, or he'll have to step it up. Haley DOES NOT MAKE exceptions.

Meanwhile, Richardson is looking over his shoulder. Expect the best Barry has to offer this year.

keg in kc 08-11-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7817244)

A 7th round draft picks with 3 years of starts. A 5th round draft pick who didn't even get a spring and summer's worth of OTAs.

You don't have to be a fan of Cassel (and I'm not) to figure the former is a better option than the latter right now.

jbwm89 08-11-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7817244)

Yeah and those morons in New England have pinned their hopes on a 6th round pick, that will never work out for them.

Skyy God 08-11-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7817256)
A 7th round draft picks with 3 years of starts. A 5th round draft pick who didn't even get a spring and summer's worth of OTAs.

You don't have to be a fan of Cassel (and I'm not) to figure the former is a better option than the latter right now.

And a street FA QB would have even less time in the system than Stanzi....

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 7817223)
Good idea.

Yes, we do.

I doubt he $3it's his pants as much as Croyle did.

Let me take that back. Under this GM you won't have a QB starting 10 or 11 games, all losses...

ShowtimeSBMVP 08-11-2011 12:09 PM

August 11, 2011

Gaither signs with Kansas City

Jared Gaither becomes the third ex-Ravens starter to sign with Kansas City, joining nose tackle Kelly Gregg and Le'Ron McClain with the Chiefs. The signing was first announced by the Chiefs.

It will be a homecoming of sorts next week when the Chiefs play the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in the second preseason game.

Gaither wasn't expected to return after all of the drama from last season.

Gaither visited Oakland a few weeks ago and it appeared like he was going to sign with the Raiders. But he left without signing a contract, which prompted rumors that his back hadn't fully healed.

Gaither has the look of a prototypical left tackle, and he has the size and athleticism that teams covet at that position. He’s young (turned 25 in March). He’s experienced (33 starts including five in the playoffs). And he’s talented (he could develop into a Pro Bowl player).

But his work ethic and health is very questionable at this point. He lost his starting job at Maryland because he didn’t show a commitment to the game, and he’s garnering the same reputation in the NFL.

Gaither reported a handful of times to the offseason conditioning program last season, and he often misses practice time. A Ravens official said the team couldn't depend on Gaither to play every Sunday. A foot injury caused him to miss most of the offseason camps, and a back injury sidelined him for the entire 2010 season (although his agent said Gaither has fully recovered now).

The Bad Guy 08-11-2011 12:10 PM

I hope this is a 2-year deal. Guy might take some time to get into shape, rehab his back.

He's a young ascending player, who 2 years ago was viewed by many as being a top 10 tackle in the NFL.

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7817316)
I hope this is a 2-year deal. Guy might take some time to get into shape, rehab his back.

He's a young ascending player, who 2 years ago was viewed by many as being a top 10 tackle in the NFL.

Move him to RT and give him time...

ForeverChiefs58 08-11-2011 12:11 PM

I wonder if after seeing Richardson get beat like a red headed step child, Cassel didn't insist on getting help at RT. In order for him to be successful he will need more than 3 seconds to step back and throw to some of his new targets.

Extra Point 08-11-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incarcerated O's fan (Post 7817312)
August 11, 2011

Gaither signs with Kansas City

Jared Gaither becomes the third ex-Ravens starter to sign with Kansas City, joining nose tackle Kelly Gregg and Le'Ron McClain with the Chiefs. The signing was first announced by the Chiefs.

It will be a homecoming of sorts next week when the Chiefs play the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in the second preseason game.

Gaither wasn't expected to return after all of the drama from last season.

Gaither visited Oakland a few weeks ago and it appeared like he was going to sign with the Raiders. But he left without signing a contract, which prompted rumors that his back hadn't fully healed.

Gaither has the look of a prototypical left tackle, and he has the size and athleticism that teams covet at that position. He’s young (turned 25 in March). He’s experienced (33 starts including five in the playoffs). And he’s talented (he could develop into a Pro Bowl player).

But his work ethic and health is very questionable at this point. He lost his starting job at Maryland because he didn’t show a commitment to the game, and he’s garnering the same reputation in the NFL.

Gaither reported a handful of times to the offseason conditioning program last season, and he often misses practice time. A Ravens official said the team couldn't depend on Gaither to play every Sunday. A foot injury caused him to miss most of the offseason camps, and a back injury sidelined him for the entire 2010 season (although his agent said Gaither has fully recovered now).

Nothing exclaims "official," more than an agent speaking paranthetically!

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 7817322)
I wonder if after seeing Richardson get beat like a red headed step child, Cassel didn't insist on getting help at RT. In order for him to be successful he will need more than 3 seconds to step back and throw to some of his new targets.

To me it looks like we're doing everything possible this offseason to give Ca$$hole what he needs.

We flat out ****ed him last year and asked him take a towel to the restroom before leaving.

This year the draft was a playmaking WR, O line, and then all defense. The FA signings though have been all about the O...

doomy3 08-11-2011 12:16 PM

If Gaither can get healthy, he immediately becomes the best LT, by far, on this team.

He'd be an incredible upgrade as a RT.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 12:17 PM

QB: Cassel, Stanzi, Palko
RB: Charles, Jones, McClain, McCluster
FB: McClain, Bannon

WR: Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Urban, Copper, Tucker, McCluster
TE: Moeaki, Pope, O'Connell

LT: Albert, Gaither
LG: Lilja, Harris
C: Wiegmann, Hudson
RG: Asamoah, Harris
RT: Richardson, Gaither

Hammock Parties 08-11-2011 12:18 PM

If Gaither is healthy and playing RT...and Albert is struggling at LT....do we put Albert on the bench for Gaither and throw Richardson out at RT?

SuperChief 08-11-2011 12:18 PM

I'm confident Haley and co. will shape this dude up. Work ethic and focus were concerns with Bowe and D. Johnson, as well. That turned out okay.

ChiefGator 08-11-2011 12:18 PM

Awesome signing... didn't expect some more presents under the Christmas tree.

Hopefully he can pull it all together, since he obviously has the physical tools.

ChiefGator 08-11-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red 5 (Post 7817334)
If Gaither is healthy and playing RT...and Albert is struggling at LT....do we put Albert on the bench for Gaither and throw Richardson out at RT?

No. We draft a RT in the third round next year or look for another young free agent.

ForeverChiefs58 08-11-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7817332)

PBJ

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 7817331)
He'd be an incredible upgrade as a RT.

This.

You don't put an unpredictable personality at LT...

GoHuge 08-11-2011 12:20 PM

Yeah if he can get healthy and play that would be great. Just don't know where you put him or who gets moved. I'd be thrilled if he has been brought in to compete for the RT spot and is a vast improvement over what we have/don't have. I'm not high on the idea of moving Albert to RT after having to learn to play LT and he's now a solid guy at his position. Far from elite, but still good and has gotten better and better with each year.

I don't think you go and screw with Albert for a guy that has barely played 50% of the games since he was drafted due to injuries. There is a reason Baltimore didn't want him back and he was still out there this late. We don't have all the info on how it came down with the Raiders (failed physical reported), but they passed on him as well. PFT reported that Al wanted to sign him because he can dunk, but the GM told his his agent they weren't interested when Uncle Al was taking his nap.

Like everyone else I say give him a shot and see what he can do. Between Albert and him I have a hard time saying that Albert should be the one to change positions.........especially when he knows and has played in this offense for 2 years now and we're a month away from the first game. If he can beat out Richardson at RT that would be great!

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red 5 (Post 7817334)

No.

At no time, ever, should that happen...

ChiefGator 08-11-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7817332)

Might as well highlight Asamoah too though. He has potential to be VERY good, and should be at least as good as Waters was last year.

Direckshun 08-11-2011 12:21 PM

Basically this just means that should either of our tackles go down with injury or stink things up to high heaven, we've got a low-rent contingency plan with gigantic upside.

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 7817346)
Might as well highlight Asamoah too though. He has potential to be VERY good, and should be at least as good as Waters was last year.

Talent to be a "Shields type" player...

L.A. Chieffan 08-11-2011 12:24 PM

him and moeaki should bunk together

ChiefGator 08-11-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7817358)
Talent to be a "Shields type" player...

Felt like I was jinxing it saying that. That would really be something. The KC O-Line tradition might not be completely dead yet...

ToxSocks 08-11-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7817360)
him and moeaki should bunk together

Why? So they could kiss each others boo boos? **** that. Gaither should bunk with Haley.

L.A. Chieffan 08-11-2011 12:27 PM

who will go on IR first? moe or gaither?

L.A. Chieffan 08-11-2011 12:28 PM

moe & gaither vs. the rest of the field +750

ChiefGator 08-11-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7817376)
who will go on IR first? moe or gaither?

Well Moeaki beat him out to PUP, but I imagine Gaither may start on PUP as well, so that really is a tie.

Rausch 08-11-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 7817372)
Felt like I was jinxing it saying that. That would really be something. The KC O-Line tradition might not be completely dead yet...

He doesn't have the range Shields did. At worst we'd move Will to LT or RT in a pinch.

I wouldn't got that far with him, he's more of a pure G, but he could be a 10 year starter and multiple probowler at G...

MoreLemonPledge 08-11-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 7817346)

I think the point was to highlight players that are new this year.