ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

Barret 12-06-2012 08:43 AM

Ok if you have seen the Japanese full version of the trailer there is a little bit afterward that is interesting but would piss me off.

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 08:45 AM

You have no idea what that is.

Barret 12-06-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184726)
You have no idea what that is.

Oh, I know I have no clue. It just gave me that flashback vibe to the movie I mentioned. I am just hoping they don't go that route again is all.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2012 09:21 AM

Well, the hand thing does seem to imply "Khan".....But it could just be JJ screwing with us.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184511)

Carol Marcus?

Frazod 12-06-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9184950)
Carol Marcus?

Good call.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 11:28 AM

It's not Carol Marcus.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...hner_After.jpg

Frazod 12-06-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9185061)

Good call as well. But you never know.

Bowser 12-06-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9183976)
The officially sanctioned comic is about Gary Mitchell, too, FYI.

I'm pretty sure the movie is about Gary Mitchell returning from the dead to terrorize the Federation.

So the story is that Nero wasn't the only thing to come through the tear in time/space, that other persons/things could have just randomly popped up at various locations through the quadrant?

And they sure as hell make it look like Spock dies in this one. Not buying it for a second, for that would just be way too predictable.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 12:02 PM

The official comic isn't about Mitchell. My mistake.

And FYI, there is a Gary Mitchell in both timelines...so the movie could still be about Gary Mitchell.

keg in kc 12-06-2012 12:42 PM

Amazing trailer. The thing I love about Bad Robot is the way they market. They show a ton of cool shots but give away absolutely nothing.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2012 12:52 PM

Maybe its Matt Decker with the Doomsday machine?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Matt_Decker

whoman69 12-06-2012 03:28 PM

Going from the ad, it makes me believe its Garth of Izar.

Chiefspants 12-06-2012 04:50 PM

Going to call it, it's Kirk on the other side of the window this time.

Frazod 12-06-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9185986)
Going to call it, it's Kirk on the other side of the window this time.

That would be an interesting twist. Don't see it happening, though.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 07:18 PM

One rumor going around is that the Federation finds Khans ship the 'Botany Bay'. Spock 'prime' already knows what could happen and it is decided that Khan must die. Cumberbatch is Khan's second in command and seeks vengeance.

Again... just a theory.

mnchiefsguy 12-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9186353)
One rumor going around is that the Federation finds Khans ship the 'Botany Bay'. Spock 'prime' already knows what could happen and it is decided that Khan must die. Cumberbatch is Khan's second in command and seeks vengeance.

Again... just a theory.

That would suck, as it would reduce Khan to nothing more than a quick blip in this particular Star Trek universe. Would rather just have Cumberbatch be Khan. Will be interesting to see.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 09:11 PM

Khan has had his show.

I have no issue with him taking a back burner for the reboot universe.

In fact, it would be INFINITELY preferable and far more original.

mnchiefsguy 12-06-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9186639)
Khan has had his show.

I have no issue with him taking a back burner for the reboot universe.

In fact, it would be INFINITELY preferable and far more original.

As long as the movie is awesome, I don't care who the villain is at this point. It has taken too damn long for the movie to hit the screen!

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 09:25 PM

You people are spoiled rotten.

There's no reason a movie can't take this long to come out. It used to happen all the time before studios felt some stupid need to pump crap out as fast as possible.

I'm all for it. Get it right. Get it perfect.

Chiefspants 12-06-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9186672)

There's no reason a movie can't take this long to come out. It used to happen all the time before studios felt some stupid need to pump crap out as fast as possible.

That first ad certainly looked promising.

Gravedigger 12-06-2012 10:40 PM

I loved the reboot, thought most of it was pretty spectacular, namely the cast. This one looks to continue the formula so you can bet that I'll be there opening day.

Hammock Parties 12-07-2012 12:38 AM

fyi: Carol Marcus was not a member of starfleet.

It's Dehner.

Deberg_1990 12-07-2012 02:48 PM

List of which IMAX theaters will be showing the opening 9 minutes:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/imax/

Hammock Parties 12-07-2012 02:57 PM

The more and more I read speculation...the more I'm convinced that Khan bites it early in this one, and one of his Eugenics supermen buds is Cumberpatch's character.

Really wanted it to be Gary Mitchell but it's not.

Frazod 12-07-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9188199)
The more and more I read speculation...the more I'm convinced that Khan bites it early in this one, and one of his Eugenics supermen buds is Cumberpatch's character.

I watched the Gary Mitchell TOS episode last night - hadn't seen it in years. God the uniforms were awful.

whoman69 12-07-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9186672)

When it was being shown, they had the equivalent of half a movie done every week.

Deberg_1990 12-07-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9188281)
I watched the Gary Mitchell TOS episode last night - hadn't seen it in years. God the uniforms were awful.

That was actually the 2nd pilot right? The first episode with Shatner if i remember right?

Deberg_1990 12-07-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9188199)

IM guessing this 9 minute preview will reveal who it is.

keg in kc 12-07-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9188406)
That was actually the 2nd pilot right? The first episode with Shatner if i remember right?

Yeah, The Cage was the original pilot.

Frazod 12-07-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9188406)

Yep. In some ways it was rougher than the Jeffrey Hunter pilot, and they made wholesale changes afterward. Uniforms were awful, weapons looked like they were straight out of a 50's sci-fi movie, there was a different doctor, no Uhura, Sulu was a department head instead of the helmsman, there were clearly typewritten reports on the view screens, they had a regular pillow and blanket on Mitchell's bed in sick bay, main view screen was tiny. Kudos to whoever changed all that crap once the show got picked up.

Red Brooklyn 12-07-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9188416)
IM guessing this 9 minute preview will reveal who it is.

I'm sure you're right.

Honestly, I loved what these guys did with the first one. I'm all in. I don't really care where they take it because I trust them.

I don't care if it's Khan or Mitchell or someone completely new. Looks like it's going to be a great ride no matter what.

Frazod 12-07-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9188692)
I'm sure you're right.

Honestly, I loved what these guys did with the first one. I'm all in. I don't really care where they take it because I trust them.

I don't care if it's Khan or Mitchell or someone completely new. Looks like it's going to be a great ride no matter what.

I can't say I loved the Star Wars-ish dumbing down, but I realize it was necessary to keep the franchise alive.

Deberg_1990 12-07-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9188682)
Yep. In some ways it was rougher than the Jeffrey Hunter pilot, and they made wholesale changes afterward. Uniforms were awful, weapons looked like they were straight out of a 50's sci-fi movie, there was a different doctor, no Uhura, Sulu was a department head instead of the helmsman, there were clearly typewritten reports on the view screens, they had a regular pillow and blanket on Mitchell's bed in sick bay, main view screen was tiny. Kudos to whoever changed all that crap once the show got picked up.

Heh, its been fun to go back and rewatch some of those old episodes on Netflix in HD. You can clearly make out mistakes such as makeup lines and cheesy plastic made props. Stuff we never picked up on as kids growing up watching them on old fuzzy UHF stations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990 12-07-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9188699)
I can't say I loved the Star Wars-ish dumbing down, but I realize it was necessary to keep the franchise alive.

Understood. It's clearly been updated for the "Michael Bay" audience, but JJ managed to keep it somewhat thought provoking but still and stayed true to the characters. Mostly he made it cool and relevant again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Brooklyn 12-07-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9188699)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Chiefspants 12-07-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9189136)

There is a segment of traditional trekkies who hate that J.J. removed the focus on plot development through extended conversations and opted for more of emphasis on action driven scenes.

Still, imo, it was an engaging story and had a number of moving elements throughout its entirety.

mikey23545 12-07-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9189136)

Uhh, Scotty going through the Enterprise's wash cycle and bringing his little teddy bear alien aboard the enterprise, Kirk running through the ship waving his Mickey Mouse hands around...Don't ever make me watch Spock and Uhura making out again...

And Kirk being named Captain of the Enterprise at the end of it all?...Kinda like the USN naming some 19 year old the captain of their largest nuclear aircraft carrier...

Frazod 12-08-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9189181)
Uhh, Scotty going through the Enterprise's wash cycle and bringing his little teddy bear alien aboard the enterprise, Kirk running through the ship waving his Mickey Mouse hands around...Don't ever make me watch Spock and Uhura making out again...

And Kirk being named Captain of the Enterprise at the end of it all?...Kinda like the USN naming some 19 year old the captain of their largest nuclear aircraft carrier...

This, and more. And worst of all, the entire motive for the villain was horribly flawed, and while I know from the deleted scenes why the Romulans vanished for 25 years, and know the backstory from the preview graphic novel, the whole thing was just ****tarded.

However, I understand that they had to reboot the whole thing and not be constrained in the future by traditional ST canon. I'm pretty much an end-justifies-the-means guy anyway, so I get it. But the means had plot holes you could fly a starship through.

Red Brooklyn 12-08-2012 09:44 AM

Well we could argue back and forth all day about how flawed or stupid some of the sequences might have been.

But I still don't understand the Star Wars comparison, nor how it was dumbed down. Whether it was flawed or not, the film was fairly complex and emotionally mature.

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 09:54 AM

People are just pissed it was louder and more flash-bangy than the average Star Trek film.

It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it was just different.

The core of Star Trek has always been the relationship between the characters. I am still somewhat concerned that's going to be lost. I guess we'll see.

I still would like to see a Star Trek film with a great plot like VI. That has always been my favorite. I don't know if Abrams is that kind of guy though.

Deberg_1990 12-08-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9189445)
Well we could argue back and forth all day about how flawed or stupid some of the sequences might have been.

But I still don't understand the Star Wars comparison, nor how it was dumbed down. Whether it was flawed or not, the film was fairly complex and emotionally mature.

The pace, fighting and explosion factor were upped significantly for today's modern younger audience. I don't care, they made Trek entertaining again. It had grown stale.

Red Brooklyn 12-08-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9189452)
The core of Star Trek has always been the relationship between the characters. I am still somewhat concerned that's going to be lost. I guess we'll see.

I still would like to see a Star Trek film with a great plot like VI. That has always been my favorite. I don't know if Abrams is that kind of guy though.

This is interesting to me because you seem to be implying that Abrams abandoned a more character driven story, but also that he didn't deliver a great plot. Those ideas seem like they could be in conflict. They aren't necessarily, but they could be.

Did you like the reboot? And what do you think Abrams & Co did well if not plot and character?

Would you say spectacle was his number one priority? Or at least, that he made a film where the spectacle was better executed than plot and character?

Because I don't think anyone could argue that the spectacle of the film was outstanding. The visuals are phenomenal.

I thought the plot was well executed, if a little straight forward. Unless we're considering the nature of the reboot as part of the plot. In which case, I'd say the plot was genius.

This is the first franchise reboot that I've ever seen that is a genuine reboot.

But, at it's core, it's the characters that elevated the movie, for me. If it had just been an action extravaganza with no substance, I wouldn't own it and watch it over and over again.

Red Brooklyn 12-08-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9189455)
The pace, fighting and explosion factor were upped significantly for today's modern younger audience. I don't care, they made Trek entertaining again. It had grown stale.

I completely agree.

But I would add that I think they did a great job with the character development. Especially since they were essentially reintroducing characters we already know and care about.

siberian khatru 12-08-2012 10:17 AM

Interesting conversation about the first one (the reboot).

I saw it in theaters and liked it a lot. This week, I rewatched it for the first time, on TV, and found I liked it a lot less. I was wincing at several scenes.

Deberg_1990 12-08-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9189462)

I saw it in theaters and liked it a lot. This week, I rewatched it for the first time, on TV, and found I liked it a lot less. I was wincing at several scenes.

The story was pretty basic other than the time travel stuff.....but they absolutely nailed the characters and casting. It would never have worked without getting the characters and the right actors. Chris Pine was a major find.

Red Brooklyn 12-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9189462)

That's a bummer.

I seem to like it more and more each time I watch it. I've seen it well over a dozen times now and I just smile ear to ear. It hits all the right notes for me.

Hoping this next one continues the standards set in terms of spectacle and imagination, but with, perhaps, a darker bend.

Abrams & Co keep talking about TDK as a major influence, as a paradigm for what a franchise sequel should look/feel like. I hope they are able to achieve their version of The Dark Knight.

whoman69 12-08-2012 01:34 PM

If you want to get picky from things I didn't like about the reboot there are many. There are no cliffs like that in Iowa. If he had maybe driven to Dubuque he could have driven over the bluffs.

The really big thing was the way they got away from the black hole at the end. They ejected all the warp engine cores and blew them up so that the explosion would give them a push to get going. First off any explosion would have been swallowed by the black hole. Second, you've just expended the power cells that fuels your engines. How would they get away?

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 02:35 PM

It's Star Trek, dude. Star Trek science is always full of bullshit.

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9189458)
This is interesting to me because you seem to be implying that Abrams abandoned a more character driven story, but also that he didn't deliver a great plot. Those ideas seem like they could be in conflict. They aren't necessarily, but they could be.

Did you like the reboot? And what do you think Abrams & Co did well if not plot and character?

Would you say spectacle was his number one priority? Or at least, that he made a film where the spectacle was better executed than plot and character?

Because I don't think anyone could argue that the spectacle of the film was outstanding. The visuals are phenomenal.

I thought the plot was well executed, if a little straight forward. Unless we're considering the nature of the reboot as part of the plot. In which case, I'd say the plot was genius.

This is the first franchise reboot that I've ever seen that is a genuine reboot.

But, at it's core, it's the characters that elevated the movie, for me. If it had just been an action extravaganza with no substance, I wouldn't own it and watch it over and over again.

I liked the reboot but it was different than traditional Star Trek.

The characters were fine, but they still lacked the chemistry that the old cast had built up.

Plotwise it fell short...it was mostly about spectacle and building up a few key characters.

It'll be interesting to see how they proceed.

Frazod 12-08-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9189733)
If you want to get picky from things I didn't like about the reboot there are many. There are no cliffs like that in Iowa. If he had maybe driven to Dubuque he could have driven over the bluffs.

The really big thing was the way they got away from the black hole at the end. They ejected all the warp engine cores and blew them up so that the explosion would give them a push to get going. First off any explosion would have been swallowed by the black hole. Second, you've just expended the power cells that fuels your engines. How would they get away?

It actually was a quarry, so that's semi-plausible. However, the area looked way too flat and barren to be eastern Iowa.

And the impulse engines aren't powered by the warp core. But yeah, the black hole would have swallowed the explosion. That was lame.

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9189952)
It actually was a quarry, so that's semi-plausible. However, the area looked way too flat and barren to be eastern Iowa.

And the impulse engines aren't powered by the warp core. But yeah, the black hole would have swallowed the explosion. That was lame.

Didn't they go to warp, though?

Frazod 12-08-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9189954)
Didn't they go to warp, though?

No, the explosion blasted them clear (I assume they had the impulse engines on full).

007 12-08-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9189957)
No, the explosion blasted them clear (I assume they had the impulse engines on full).

They gave it all she had.

DaneMcCloud 12-08-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9189733)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9189952)

I figured that was due to the nuclear war in the early 21st century?

Frazod 12-08-2012 05:47 PM

It's a quarry.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...owa_quarry.jpg

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 05:50 PM

It's a story device for the scene, nothing more. LMAO

Hammock Parties 12-08-2012 11:40 PM

Full STAR TREK trailer indicates hands against glass scene is actually Spock and Cumberbatch. If he’s Sybok… Well, kudos.

That said, Cumberbatch does NOT have Vulcan ears. Hands against glass scene seems to be Cumby in the brig.

Trailer opens with Pike VO, telling Kirk he has courage but no humility, and someday that will get him and his crew killed.

Oh yeah: there’s space stuff in the full TREK trailer. Space combat. Guy in a space suit zooming around.

In addition friend (and sometimes contributor to) TrekMovie Jordan Hoffman confirmed a few more details via Twitter DM:

Cumberbatch was definitely shown in some sort of brig

Chekov (Anton Yelchin) appears in a red tunic (instead of his regular gold tunic)

Someone wears a EVA space suit with similar design to the one used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Chiefspants 12-08-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9189253)
But the means had plot holes you could fly a starship through.

Well, it was Abrams, after all.

Chiefspants 12-09-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9190725)
M:

Cumberbatch was definitely shown in some sort of brig

About 50% of movies in the genre have utilized this Plot Device (Imprisoning the antagonist) since the release of The Dark Knight (The Avengers and Skyfall come to mind.)

Bowser 12-09-2012 12:21 AM

Completely random thought -

Does Lucas ever sell the rights to Star Wars to Disney had Abrams' Star Trek reboot fallen on its face? I mean, 4 billion is 4 billion, but still..... Lucas seems to be (read: is incredibly) hyper defensive of his baby, and you wouldn't think he'd just sell it off to the highest bidder because he could. He'd want the story to live and be prosperous in future showings, so would he have ever gotten to that place without Star Trek v 2.0 (and Avatar, just to be fair)?

Easy 6 12-09-2012 12:23 AM

Abrams well knows the mantle he's inherited, this will be a somewhat darker chapter, his ESB, in some way.

Red Brooklyn 12-09-2012 09:44 AM

All the news about Into Darkness has me Trekking out. I re-watched Wrath of Khan last night. Then watched Where No Man Has Gone Before (TOS episode), then watched like four hours of DS9.

Star Trek is awesome.

But if anyone thinks that JJ's version is more flawed or full of holes or ludicrous or eye roll worthy than any previous incarnation, I'm not sure they're seeing/remembering clearly.

Still, I love it all. I don't care how flawed or unrealistic any of it is. It's just so much fun. I can't wait for Into Darkness.

Also, why are we so sure Cumberbatch is playing a character we've seen before? Isn't it possible that he's a new character?

Red Brooklyn 12-09-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9190773)
Abrams well knows the mantle he's inherited, this will be a somewhat darker chapter, his ESB, in some way.

Absolutely.

notorious 12-09-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184509)
Japanese release has extra footage at the end. Definite reference.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BrHlQUXFzfw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JFC, they just gave away one of the iconic scenes in Star Trek history. :facepalm:

keg in kc 12-09-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9191059)
JFC, they just gave away one of the iconic scenes in Star Trek history.

Which means it's a red herring.

Supposedly it's actually Cumberbatch in the brig, with Spock outside. But who knows.

Red Brooklyn 12-09-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9192633)
Which means it's a red herring.

My thoughts exactly.

But is it really giving anything away? If you've seen Wrath, you get the reference and it's super cool. If you haven't see it, then you don't get it and it doesn't mean anything nor ruin anything.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9191036)
All the news about Into Darkness has me Trekking out. I re-watched Wrath of Khan last night. Then watched Where No Man Has Gone Before (TOS episode), then watched like four hours of DS9.

Star Trek is awesome.

But if anyone thinks that JJ's version is more flawed or full of holes or ludicrous or eye roll worthy than any previous incarnation, I'm not sure they're seeing/remembering clearly.

Still, I love it all. I don't care how flawed or unrealistic any of it is. It's just so much fun. I can't wait for Into Darkness.

Also, why are we so sure Cumberbatch is playing a character we've seen before? Isn't it possible that he's a new character?

Have you even seen Star Trek VI?

It's a very good film with great performances and one of the best plots in any Science Fiction film I've ever seen.

It's the berlin wall coming down in outer space.

JJ has never made a film that could compare.

Frazod 12-09-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9193531)

It's a very good film with great performances and one of the best plots in any Science Fiction film I've ever seen.

It would have been even better if they'd stuck with the original idea of having Saavik be the betrayer, but sadly Roddenberry shot it down.

Red Brooklyn 12-09-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9193531)

I love Star Trek VI. It's always been my favorite in the series. I saw it in the theater like four times. My dad and I started a tradition of seeing the ST movies together. The tradition started with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. The new reboot in 09 was the first one since then that we didn't see together in the theater.

Star Trek VI will always hold a special place in my heart.

My personal top 5:

1. The Undiscovered Country
2. First Contact
3. Star Trek (2009)
4. The Wrath of Khan
5. Generations

But it's really close between 2 & 3. Star Trek might over take First Contact in a couple of years. I really love it.

keg in kc 12-09-2012 05:23 PM

The Undiscovered Country was awesome.

keg in kc 12-09-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9193614)
It would have been even better if they'd stuck with the original idea of having Saavik be the betrayer, but sadly Roddenberry shot it down.

The version I've heard of that story is that Kirstie Alley refused to return.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

I dunno, because Kim Cattral nailed that role.

I don't think the other actresses could have.

Robin Curtis wasn't very notable all things considered.

Deberg_1990 12-09-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Now that would have been cool...would have held more weight.

Deberg_1990 12-09-2012 06:10 PM

The undiscovered Country is definitely right up there as one of the top Trek films.

It's a perfectly written allegory for the fall of the Cold War.

Nicholas Myer really "got" Trek as well as anyone ever did.

Easy 6 12-09-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9191059)
JFC, they just gave away one of the iconic scenes in Star Trek history. :facepalm:

Abrams is too smart to do that, just a tease to get everyone thinking.

That trailer is perfect, it feels like theres an actual story behind it.

DaneMcCloud 12-09-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9193906)
The version I've heard of that story is that Kirstie Alley refused to return.

She refused to return to Star Trek III, for sure. I hadn't heard that she was asked to return for Star Trek VI.

Wasn't she uber heavy at that point?

DaneMcCloud 12-09-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9194109)
Abrams is too smart to do that, just a tease to get everyone thinking.

That trailer is perfect, it feels like theres an actual story behind it.

I agree. I think it was in there as a homage for die hard Trek fans.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9194124)
I agree. I think it was in there as a homage for die hard Trek fans.

They're like poetry, they rhyme.

Frazod 12-09-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9194115)
She refused to return to Star Trek III, for sure. I hadn't heard that she was asked to return for Star Trek VI.

Wasn't she uber heavy at that point?

Yeah. They couldn't hide her giant ass behind a bar in Star Trek.