ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Tell me about Hulu and Cord cutting. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316868)

New World Order 08-19-2018 09:30 AM

I've used the trial on Hulu, and PS Vue. Both were pretty good with no buffering/lag issues. Even if I dloaded a PC game I still had no problem.

I wasn't that big on the Hulu interface (liked PS Vue the best) but I think they had an update this spring that changed the interface. Definitely do the free trials.

I think at the end of the day you aren't saving THAT much when you factor in internet with cable since so many cable companies offer packages.

DaFace 08-19-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 13682030)
I've used the trial on Hulu, and PS Vue. Both were pretty good with no buffering/lag issues. Even if I dloaded a PC game I still had no problem.

I wasn't that big on the Hulu interface (liked PS Vue the best) but I think they had an update this spring that changed the interface. Definitely do the free trials.

I think at the end of the day you aren't saving THAT much when you factor in internet with cable since so many cable companies offer packages.

Hulu's interface is definitely a little odd. They did recently add a somewhat traditional guide, but before that they kinda sorta liked to pretend that all shows (even live shows) were just on-demand shows you could search for.

Even the current setup takes some getting used to, but I like it overall.

dirk digler 08-19-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13682018)
That's a cool tool - thanks.

It's definitely true if you're comparing back to what I feel cable SHOULD cost. Before I cut the cord, though, I was paying about $90/month for DirecTV, and I was already paying for Netflix. Now I have Hulu (with live TV) and, while I'm still paying for Netflix, it shouldn't really count.

Not to mention that, aside from sports, I personally prefer on-demand streaming far more than watching things live and having to deal with a DVR anyway.

Good point and outside of sports I am like you I would prefer on demand. Also as I have gotten older I care less about TV anyway. I was just looking at Hulu Live TV beta and if I was going to cut the cord that would be the one I chose.

rocknrolla 08-19-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13681955)
Just set a shutdown date for DishNetwork. We are going the Hulu/YoutubeTV route with HBO/Netflix/Prime/Terrarium supplementing our movie fix.

Leaning YouTubetv right now. Is there any reason Hulu is better?

Whats the total for Hulu/YoutubeTV route with HBO/Netflix/Prime/Terrarium?

lewdog 08-19-2018 10:58 AM

Great info. Thanks.

Any idea of watching 2 TVs with the $11.99 plan or is multiple TVs only allowed on the $39.99 plan?

rocknrolla 08-19-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13681997)
Here is a good site to compare your options. https://www.suppose.tv

When I recently moved I dropped DTV and was considering going YoutubeTV but I was already paying $75/month for Internet from Charter so they offered me a monthly price of $130 with all the premium channels and price locked for 3 years. So I took that deal.

When you start adding all these extra services like Hulu, youtubetv, Netflix, hbo, prime, sling you are pretty much getting close to paying what you paid to your TV provider. That is something to consider.

This is where I am at. My ATT contract is just about up

Bob Dole 08-19-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 13681937)
The 7.99 is just HULU basic. You can stream movies and TV shows (Similar to Netflix) but you have commercials. You can pay 11.99 for commercial free. The $40 option is to stream live TV with multiple channels.

The movies are commercial free. 4 commercial breaks in a typical 43 minut TV episode.

Bob Dole 08-19-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13682189)
Great info. Thanks.

Any idea of watching 2 TVs with the $11.99 plan or is multiple TVs only allowed on the $39.99 plan?

I share my account with a friend in exchange for his Netflix login. Never any issues.

Molitoth 08-19-2018 11:07 AM

I moved to DirecTV Now (via Roku Stick) and love it. $35 a month for 2 concurrent streams.

There are some buggy things that happen with the DVR option, but I can live/work around them.

Chief Pagan 08-19-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13681997)
When you start adding all these extra services like Hulu, youtubetv, Netflix, hbo, prime, sling you are pretty much getting close to paying what you paid to your TV provider. That is something to consider.

True. But I am really annoyed that Comcast is my only option for broadband (outside of satellite/wireless). I don't want to be any more locked into Comcast than I have to be. If the cost is a toss-up, I would rather pay somebody else. Cable keeps jacking up your rates. You can call and threaten to cancel, but I hate playing that game.

I have Comcast for broadband. Then I have YouTube TV which I have been happy with. YouTube TV raised rates, and grandfathered in the old rate for people already a member. I like that business model much better and would rather support it.

After the introductory rate expires, Comcast with the sports channels is still more than Comcast broadband and YouTube TV for my situation.

lewdog 08-19-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13682205)
I share my account with a friend in exchange for his Netflix login. Never any issues.

Ok great.

Big concern there as we watch separate TVs quite often in our house.

notorious 08-19-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 13682184)
Whats the total for Hulu/YoutubeTV route with HBO/Netflix/Prime/Terrarium?

Prob around 75 bucks. I could cut Netflix and Prime and just use terrarium but the family loves the easy interface and reliable streams.

RINGLEADER 08-19-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 13681935)
I am also curious on this topic. I have Direct TV and have inquired about Direct TV Now. I am currently paying 80 dollars a month (Even with the discount). I spoke with an Agent yesterday and Direct TV now seems to be the direction I'm leaning. My contract is up in September and with Direct TV Now I would be paying 55 a month for more channels. No additional fees to my understanding. No dish/no receiver and better yet, no contract.

I have direct tv now — other than the shit UI it’s okay and if you want a basic package you can take with you it’s not bad.

I’m about ready to cut cords myself. Only reason I ever got DirectTV was because I was a Chiefs fan living outside KC. Now I have the games streamable there really isn’t a point to Direct TV anymore.

RINGLEADER 08-19-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13682208)
I moved to DirecTV Now (via Roku Stick) and love it. $35 a month for 2 concurrent streams.

There are some buggy things that happen with the DVR option, but I can live/work around them.

Ah good point on the DTVNOW dvr — it frequently corrupts mid-show but it is in beta.

SuperChief 08-20-2018 01:12 PM

(Slightly) off-topic: Anyone have issues w/ YouTube TV watching local (KC market) broadcasts? I recorded the Chiefs game on Friday and couldn't watch when I got home - said it was "unavailable." I checked back in a day or two later and now it's available to view.