ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tony G...4th best “receiver” of all time? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316663)

Pasta Little Brioni 08-07-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13662995)
Gonzo was definitely a great player, one of the best all-time. Played a long time (17 seasons right? that's pretty stellar) and contrary to many of his peers, he had an insanely higher number of targets... mostly due to the talent around him. As many of said, KC used him as the #1 threat for the most part where as others played alongside 1-2 other top WRs, eating up targets. Hell, he has the 2nd most receptions all-time. Witten is 4th, with Gates being the next TE at 20th.

That's not said to take away from his greatness, as with any "best of all time" list, you have so many factors to consider.

PA alert...

Tribal Warfare 08-07-2018 09:36 AM

Good, Gronkowski can **** off

Tribal Warfare 08-07-2018 09:39 AM

Don Hutson should be in the top 3

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13663038)
PA alert...

Give it a rest. That's the same perspective I've used with most of these 'greatest ever' conversations.

luv 08-07-2018 09:47 AM

Not sure why "receiver" is in quotes. TE's aren't usually handed the ball. They are typically thrown the ball, which makes them receivers. They're just not wide receivers.

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13663015)
It's a two edge sword. He got a lot of targets but SO MANY of those were garbage balls.

****, I'm pretty sure Hutard was throwing those passes with his eyes closed.

The thing that makes him even that much more great was he caught everything - and virtually none of it was easy.

Definitely, played with a mix of inconsistency at QB, with 2 teams and still produced for a long time.

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13663057)
Not sure why "receiver" is in quotes. TE's aren't usually handed the ball. They are typically thrown the ball, which makes them receivers. They're just not wide receivers.

Weird. Obviously, he's making a distinction between WR/TE.

Rasputin 08-07-2018 09:52 AM

Did they mention Rice admittedly to using performance enhancing drugs? Just a tad though ><

scho63 08-07-2018 10:26 AM

Fitzgerald is top 3 for me as is Megatron. Those two guys catch EVERYTHING.

Rice benefited by having some guys named Joe Montana and Steve Young throw him a lot of TD's but he was still great, if not the greatest.

Tony G was unbelievable once he got passed that first year+ of drops.

Randy Moss was damn good and Owens certainly there as top 5.

Lynn Swann was great in the day as was Chris Carter and Michael Irvin.

MarkDavis'Haircut 08-07-2018 12:52 PM

Don Hutson should be on the list as well.

MarkDavis'Haircut 08-07-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13663046)

:clap:

You know your football, sir.

kgrund 08-07-2018 12:58 PM

To me Tony was great in the red zone and a very dependable target. Where a lot of these guys separate themselves from him is in their big-play ability. How many TDs did Tony have over 50 yards? I watched his entire career and can only think of one.

Bewbies 08-07-2018 01:01 PM

I loved Rice, but I never watched a WR as talented as Moss. That dude came in and DOMINATED as a rookie.

Fitz will be a top 5 guy when it's all said and done, and Megatron is definitely under-rated as well.

It's interesting to see how current players get dinged later for defense being outlawed? I tend to put the Marino's, Montana's and Elway's above the Manning's and Brady's because being a QB was so much harder then than it is today....

How do you possibly compare a league where the QB can't get breathed on to one where you can murder the guy on every play? How do you compare an NFL where the WR's do not go over the middle for fear of their life vs one where midgets can do whatever they want cause the MLB's and S can't hit them?

It's like football's version of the steroid era.

MarkDavis'Haircut 08-07-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13663403)
I loved Rice, but I never watched a WR as talented as Moss. That dude came in and DOMINATED as a rookie.

Fitz will be a top 5 guy when it's all said and done, and Megatron is definitely under-rated as well.

It's interesting to see how current players get dinged later for defense being outlawed? I tend to put the Marino's, Montana's and Elway's above the Manning's and Brady's because being a QB was so much harder then than it is today....

How do you possibly compare a league where the QB can't get breathed on to one where you can murder the guy on every play? How do you compare an NFL where the WR's do not go over the middle for fear of their life vs one where midgets can do whatever they want cause the MLB's and S can't hit them?

It's like football's version of the steroid era.

Good take.

In my opinion, Benny Friedman might be one of the greatest QBs in history.

BossChief 08-07-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13663046)

He had a year where he had 1200+ rec yards and the 2nd place guy (in the whole league) had 250.

Crazy.