ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life You break it, you buy it. Teen learns the hard way. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315483)

Pitt Gorilla 05-22-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13565334)
I'm curious about the conversation he and his parents had afterwards. Parents, what do you say to your kid when he's just been ordered to pay $36 million in restitution? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

I'm sorry, do I know you?

Rain Man 05-22-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13565364)
Union Pacific Railroad definitely needs the money. Railroads have never gouged anyone ever.

Yeah, I saw that and realized that this kid is in serious trouble. From the little I know about railroads, they'll have a team of people standing next to him his entire life grabbing every paycheck, every penny he finds on the ground, and every morsel of food he picks up.

BucEyedPea 05-22-2018 02:49 PM

Doesn't insurance cover that for some on that list?

ClevelandBronco 05-22-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

I'm curious about the conversation he and his parents had afterwards. Parents, what do you say to your kid when he's just been ordered to pay $36 million in restitution? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

Son, it's time you give some serious thought to becoming a high-level drug dealer.

frozenchief 05-22-2018 02:57 PM

It doesn’t go away when he hits 19. It’s not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Even though he owes US Forestry, this appears to be in Oregon state court so it may ultimately be discharged as unpayable. In federal court, he could request relief after paying for 20 years. He might get it or might not.

Rain Man 05-22-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13565441)
Doesn't insurance cover that for some on that list?

Yeah, but his deductible was $37 million.

Chief Pagan 05-22-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13565461)
It doesn’t go away when he hits 19. It’s not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Even though he owes US Forestry, this appears to be in Oregon state court so it may ultimately be discharged as unpayable. In federal court, he could request relief after paying for 20 years. He might get it or might not.

If he was a minor when he caused the damage, I would have thought his parents would have been on the hook, not the teen.

Nickhead 05-22-2018 03:23 PM

i am sure this kid is a very bright student who will excel academically and end up with a fine job that not only allows him a decent lifestyle but will also be able to pay the amount in full :D

ghak99 05-22-2018 03:33 PM

He might as well buy a tent and move to California or Hawaii and learn to enjoy the homeless beach life.

Amnorix 05-22-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

File bankruptcy. This should not be non-dischargeable debt.

Amnorix 05-22-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13565461)

I'm no bankruptcy lawyer. Why wouldn't it be dischargeable?

EDIT: Urf, never mind. This is criminal restitution, not civil payments on a lawsuit. Probably not dischargeable. Yeah, he's ****ed. Move overseas. I'm dead serious.

stevieray 05-22-2018 03:38 PM

Boy, is he going to have excellent credit.

frozenchief 05-22-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13565483)
If he was a minor when he caused the damage, I would have thought his parents would have been on the hook, not the teen.

Some states will allow that but it is highly dependent upon the law of the jurisdiction. I don't know Oregon law but wanted to give an overview of laws that generally apply in these types of cases.

frozenchief 05-22-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13565516)
I'm no bankruptcy lawyer. Why wouldn't it be dischargeable?

EDIT: Urf, never mind. This is criminal restitution, not civil payments on a lawsuit. Probably not dischargeable. Yeah, he's ****ed. Move overseas. I'm dead serious.

Yeah, bankruptcy law prohibits discharge of a criminal restitution order in bankruptcy.

11 U.S.C. §532(a)(7). Kelly v. Robinson, 479 US 36 (1986).

Nickhead 05-22-2018 04:15 PM

here is my question?

with this case, will this kid be able to apply for any student loans ROFL

i joke, but this part does suck as his chances of having a college education is going to be minimal. provided his heart is in the right place and matures appropriately :D