ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Author says Watkins signing was a "reckless decision". (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314467)

KCUnited 03-16-2018 01:58 PM

Who’s Author?

ChiefGator 03-16-2018 01:58 PM

Send it to Watkins.. maybe the bulletin board material will help him.

Mark

T-post Tom 03-16-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13473168)
The author is correct is several aspects:
1. Watkins is getting paid more on his future potential than his past performance. He has not been anywhere close to being a top 5 wide receiver, yet he's being paid like one. 2029 Yards 1st 2 seasons
2. His foot injury is a concern. Missed 0 games due to injury last year.
3. Andy has not yet fully utilized a 2nd WR in his schemes in KC. Tried to take advantage of Conley's skills. Kelce was the surrogate.

All that being said:
1. Andy did use Maclin and Jackson in Philly, so he can utilize two WR's if he chooses.Good point.
2. Even if Watkins doesn't perform as a top 10 WR stat wise, if he helps KC get past the first round of the playoffs he is money well spent. Agree

I would say giving that money to Watkins is a bit of a gamble, but not reckless.Agree

Yes, I have red and gold glasses on today. :D Also worth noting that Watkins has shown greatness in the red zone, which has been an area of concern for the Chiefs.

Hoover 03-16-2018 01:59 PM

I hope they keep publishing shit like this. Hardly a mention of Mahomes ability to go deep and the strain Watkins will out on defenses helps every aspect of the offense. Sure we could have spent half as much for Jordy Nelson but giving real money to a WR seven years older than Watkins would have been even more foolish.

Hoover 03-16-2018 02:02 PM

Maclin wouldn’t have been cut had he not sucked ass. Seriously why do people talk like he was a top 10 wr? He disappeared when we needed him the most.

Buckweath 03-16-2018 02:08 PM

I'll say this. I am anxious to see what Veach will do for the defense but if he doesn't do much other than drafting defense and the defense is average to below-average next year, we will be left to wonder if he shouldn't have gone for a cheaper WR and have more money left to help the defense.

Simplicity 03-16-2018 02:11 PM

When’s the last time we had a good QB who himself can utilize WR1 and WR2? Trent Green? Alex couldn’t do it. We have every right to believe Mahomes will make these guys great.

T-post Tom 03-16-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13473231)
I'll say this. I am anxious to see what Veach will do for the defense but if he doesn't do much other than drafting defense and the defense is average to below-average next year, we will be left to wonder if he shouldn't have gone for a cheaper WR and have more money left to help the defense.

If the defense can keep opponents to under 40 pts, Chiefs will be fine. :)

Hoover 03-16-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13473231)

I disagree. Veach’s job is one of making choices. None are easy. To build the team for the long run it HAS to be built through the draft. No one is sever able to field the perfect team. I’d rather surround our franchise QB with outstanding talent than have Albert Wilson and some fatty on the d-line under contract.

DaFace 03-16-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13473156)
Fan Rag sports... nuff said

Yeah, not sure why this is threadworthy.

JakeF 03-16-2018 02:16 PM

The amount of money paid is a concern but i see no reason to find fault with finally expanding our options at wr.

T-post Tom 03-16-2018 02:16 PM

5 Receiver set:

Hill, Watkins, Conley, Kelce, DAT/Hunt/Robinson (your pick)

:drool:

JakeF 03-16-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13473256)
5 Receiver set:

Hill, Watkins, Conley, Kelce, DAT/Hunt/Robinson

:drool:

If Watkins stays healthy he will probably end up being our #1 receiver. He is a more complete receiver than Hill. Robinson better ranked higher than that, he has the potential to be our #3 wr.

Halfcan 03-16-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13473170)
Reckless is just who we are now. A reckless gunslinging QB and a reckless GM and a reckless **** you attitude.

I think this article was doomed when the author chose to use the word reckless- which would mean - (of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

The basis of the article makes it seem as if Veech signed Watkins on a whim as if he was making some late night bid on Ebay after drinking all night.

When in fact, by Veech's own words, he wanted to acquire Sammy last season. It was far from a reckless decision, but a long, thought out, calculated one not just based on stats but what Sammy can do for this offense.

Watkins can score from anywhere on the field and creates mismatches against defenses by his speed alone, not to mention he has great hands. Now Mahomes has 4 players that can change the game in one play and are threats to score every time they step on the field. That is why the Chiefs paid a premium and it was definitely not a reckless choice.

staylor26 03-16-2018 02:27 PM

CP poster says author is an “idiot”