ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Worst winters ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312335)

Dartgod 12-14-2017 10:17 AM

For the entire winter season, I'm not sure because I don't remember what the rest of it was like. But the ice storm we had in 2002 was the worst. We were without power for 11 days because the line from the pole to my house was taken out by a tree. There were so many without power that we were waaaaay down the priority list to get service restored.

We ended up staying at my FIL's duplex for the majority of it, which sucked majorly. He kept it so ****ing hot in there. I seem to remember a tear running down my face when power was finally restored.

vailpass 12-14-2017 10:22 AM

Thousands of years ago, there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts; and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept, and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks... In that darkness the White Walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds.

Flying High D 12-14-2017 10:46 AM

I remember that, was that in Raytown or Independence?

Shaid 12-14-2017 11:59 AM

96 in North Dakota was a fun one. I was in college and we basically were stuck in the dorms for a 3 days. The National Guard was activated to clear out the snow in some areas and then there was pretty good spring flooding.

http://www.endofthenet.org/wp-conten...s/ATT00034.jpg

eDave 12-14-2017 12:10 PM

The best winter day was the night I came out of work late and the entire passenger side of my car was covered in an ice sheet. Being an Eagle scout, I pee'd on the lock to open the door. Had to rev the engine to great the tires free from the ice. Then it was clunk, clunk, clunk, all the way home, looking out my side window to see my way home. I think it was like 4 degrees by that time.

Why is that the best winter? It's the moment I decided to move to Phoenix. I was out of there the next week. No job, no home, no nothing. I'd had enough of that shit.

LoneWolf 12-14-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13283046)
The best winter day was the night I came out of work late and the entire passenger side of my car was covered in an ice sheet. Being an Eagle scout, I pee'd on the lock to open the door. Had to rev the engine to great the tires free from the ice. Then it was clunk, clunk, clunk, all the way home, looking out my side window to see my way home. I think it was like 4 degrees by that time.

Why is that the best winter? It's the moment I decided to move to Phoenix. I was out of there the next week. No job, no home, no nothing. I'd had enough of that shit.

That’s awesome. Most betas can’t recall the exact day they became a pussy.

Rausch 12-14-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packfan12 (Post 13282636)
What are the worst winters you guys have ever seen in Kansas City? How bout the most snow and coldest temperatures? Are the winters long there?

You aren't doing a great job Packfan...

eDave 12-14-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13283056)
That’s awesome. Most betas can’t recall the exact day they became a pussy.

LMAO. I pee'd on my door lock man. That's some Bear Grylls type shit.

JoeyChuckles 12-14-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13282719)
winter starts in 7 days! l

If you are a druid and celebrate the solstice, yes.

For the rest of us that worship meteorology, winter is loosely defined as starting in November or early December in the KC area. The start date varies based upon location around the world.

Randallflagg 12-14-2017 12:51 PM

Honestly, I don't remember the year - 95-96? - But it was October....I worked late the night before and didn't have to go back in till like 5 PM. I got up at around noon and I couldn't figure out why the hell it was so bright in the house. Our house (at that time) had six or seven skylights and it was like BOOM!

I finally looked out the window and there was 8 or 9 inches of snow - in October. If I remember correctly, Old OP caught the brunt of it - trees down everywhere, power out. it was a mess for 5-6 days.

Rain Man 12-14-2017 01:09 PM

I never remember weather. My wife will say, "Remember that bad winter we had three years ago?" and I'll say, "I have no idea what you're talking about." I'll remember unique events, but not entire winters.

That said, we got 32" of snow once, which was a really big snow. I remember being up on a ladder trying to knock some of it off my roof, because there were some buildings that collapsed under the weight. I lost my former barber shop in that snow.

In a different winter, we had some stretch of several days where the high temperature didn't reach zero. We had to put a heating pad on one of our water lines, because it froze up despite being inside the house. We eventually learned that it's next to a vent pipe, and the air in the vent pipe was so cold that it froze the water line that didn't even touch it. Very weird.

Donger 12-14-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13283161)
I never remember weather. My wife will say, "Remember that bad winter we had three years ago?" and I'll say, "I have no idea what you're talking about." I'll remember unique events, but not entire winters.

That said, we got 32" of snow once, which was a really big snow. I remember being up on a ladder trying to knock some of it off my roof, because there were some buildings that collapsed under the weight. I lost my former barber shop in that snow.

In a different winter, we had some stretch of several days where the high temperature didn't reach zero. We had to put a heating pad on one of our water lines, because it froze up despite being inside the house. We eventually learned that it's next to a vent pipe, and the air in the vent pipe was so cold that it froze the water line that didn't even touch it. Very weird.

March 2003. We got 46" of snow at my house in 48 hours.

stumppy 12-14-2017 01:21 PM

About 8-10 years ago, major ice storm during a long cold winter. Power lines down all over the southern part of the state. After 11 days without power, temperatures in the single digits,sleeping every night with my two beagles, one on each side, I decided to break down and buy a $750 generator.
Got it running, extension cords running to everything and fired it up. Glorious heat, television, internet. I was a happy man.
Three hours later the electricity came back on.

Titty Meat 12-14-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13283046)

Dude I'm about to do the very same thing.

eDave 12-14-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13283197)
Dude I'm about to do the very same thing.

Phoenix is full.