ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Dream Job? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312156)

KCUnited 12-07-2017 02:28 PM

Why ruin a good hobby?

TribalElder 12-07-2017 02:29 PM

I work to pay for things

Nothing dreamy about that shit

It's a waste of life really

Trading time for money

Kman34 12-07-2017 02:29 PM

Just waiting for the Walmart greeter job to open up...

RippedmyFlesh 12-07-2017 02:30 PM

Although not working anymore I feel lucky that my last job was my dream job. I did support from home and only had to show up for annual xmas party. Pay was good not great but could not beat being at home especially in winter when I was never late for work because of snow. My wife earned a year long paid leave while I had that gig. May have been the best year of my life. She actually liked making sammiches for me. Nooners. Couldnt beat it.

Rasputin 12-07-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13267782)
The dream is to not have a job...

My dream job would be getting paid to go fishing.

First I would catch small Fish for bait then catch big Fish.

I could have a show cooking Fish.

ptlyon 12-07-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13267811)
True but if you are doing something you love its not really work, or a job so to speak.

Whats the old saying -

"Do something that you love and you will never work a day in your life".

Hopefully mine soon will be "**** this shit, I just won the lottery!"

ptlyon 12-07-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13267818)
My dream job would be getting paid to go fishing.

First I would catch small Fish for bait then catch big Fish.

I could have a show cooking Fish.

Solid business plan right there

ChiTown 12-07-2017 02:32 PM

Crypt Keeper for August Ames..........

Jerm 12-07-2017 02:39 PM

Professional poker player, contemplated it at one time...

Other than that, sports talk radio.

58-4ever 12-07-2017 02:39 PM

Not sure it's my dream job, but I just got hired at Microsoft. They have some pretty incredible benefits.

RippedmyFlesh 12-07-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 13267838)
Not sure it's my dream job, but I just got hired at Microsoft. They have some pretty incredible benefits.

Congrats:toast:

Strongside 12-07-2017 02:41 PM

I have pretty close to my dream job.

I think my true passion though, would be to imitate Charlie Weis' career. Paid millions for not doing jack shit.

58-4ever 12-07-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 13267839)
Congrats:toast:

Thank you! I've been working on this one for about 7 years. I'm super stoked. Start Monday.

DJ's left nut 12-07-2017 02:44 PM

{looks out office window - doesn't see a batters eye and outfield walls}

Nope, can't say that this is living the dream. But hey, lots of people have it far worse.

My biggest irritation is that just before the statistical revolution in baseball I took a stats/methods course and the project I chose for the semester was this massive spreadsheet and analysis on what contributes most to winning baseball games. Speed, power, walks, Ks; what was the thing that most closely matched w/ Wins on an overall team basis? I didn't have access to the advanced stats you find on fangraphs and stuff now so I couldn't get much of a statistically significant correlation, but for the time it was pretty damn good stuff. It was 30-40 pages of charts, graphs and genuinely decent stats work since I had a professor steering me in the right direction if I made some error that was self-driving the results.

Then I see things like "Mike Girsch gets GM job 5 years after getting hired by simply mailing 30 teams his statistical analysis on X" and it just pisses me off. I don't suspect I'd be some hotshot MLB exec or anything, but I always wonder if it could've gotten me a foot in the door coming out of college. Could I have been at least an intern in an early analytics department and worked my way up the ladder?

I thought I had some pretty cool ideas at the time and they damn sure hadn't gone mainstream yet. Wish I'd have acted on them.

ptlyon 12-07-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 13267844)
Thank you! I've been working on this one for about 7 years. I'm super stoked. Start Monday.

Go out and get baked this weekend