ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Free Agent CB Byron Maxwell - Possible Help (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311366)

bigbucks24 11-06-2017 07:13 PM

The Dolphins still own him $5MM and they cut him because they are sick of him. He wasn't the best CB last season. He was good for about 4 games. He got benched last year because he was so bad. Then played 4 good games and hurt himself, again. He's known for milking his injuries, just like this year. It's not like the Dolphin secondary is that good that they can throw away good players. They will probably replace him with an undrafted free agent, Torrey McTyer. He also got on the bad side of the coaching staff by freelancing and ignoring what the coaching staff was calling. He was a healthy scratch for the last 2 games. When he signs again, he will be on his 4th team in 4 years, but he needs a change of scenery? This isn't a numbers game where there are just too many good CBs on the Miami roster. The Dolphins want to get rid of him so badly that they are willing to pay him $5MM to just go away.

And the veteran leadership thing? That's who you want mentoring your young players? A player who won't follow the scheme?

Do people just look at a name and figure he is good and because he's been around awhile, he MUST be a good leader?

smithandrew051 11-06-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Vagina (Post 13203766)
I'm not really down on our CBs.. outside of Gaines.. who I loved as a prospect.

I hate Bob's wuss scheming. These CBs should be knocking WRs out of their routes inside the 5 yards allowed. Bend don't break is a miserable existence for a defense. The turnovers are NOT flowing.. and even the TD stops are dwindling.

If Maxwell wants to sign cheap, fine. Otherwise... go on with more Peters, Mitchell, Acker. Bob's not budging.. so don't waste resources.

Agreed. Way too much talent out there to be this bad. This defense can at least be average.

A 12 play, 70 yard drive that ends in a field goal is a win for his "scheme". Depending on turnovers doesn't win against good teams in the playoffs. It won't win against New England or Pittsburgh in the postseason.

I don't get why so many people defend him. It's not like the defense was that great last year with Berry. They were still ranked in the mid twenties in yardage.

JoeyChuckles 11-06-2017 08:35 PM

Can he bake pizza rolls?

chiefzilla1501 11-06-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 13204037)
Agreed. Way too much talent out there to be this bad. This defense can at least be average.

A 12 play, 70 yard drive that ends in a field goal is a win for his "scheme". Depending on turnovers doesn't win against good teams in the playoffs. It won't win against New England or Pittsburgh in the postseason.

I don't get why so many people defend him. It's not like the defense was that great last year with Berry. They were still ranked in the mid twenties in yardage.

Where is there way too much talent? Acker, Ragland, Murray, old DJ, Zombo/old Hali? Sorenson, Parker, Bailey are pretty average. And this defense was solid last year until we lost DJ. Not sure where this narrative is coming from that we have great talent this year, or that we somehow had phenomenal talent the years before. Seems like confirmation bias to me.

chiefzilla1501 11-06-2017 09:23 PM

I don't understand why Veach isn't working the phones 24/7 trying to bring in fliers like this in. Terrance Mitchell turned our D around last year and was magnificent the second half of last year. Vickerson improved our D for a hot minute a few years ago. Jarvis Jenkins was an important piece for us last year with all our injuries. Hell, we grabbed Jaye Howard, Mauga, Parker off of everyone else's trash pile. Charcanderick West and Ware saved our running game with midseason call-ups from the practice squad.

We've had a good amount of success with these stopgaps. We should be actively trying new guys out until we find guys who stick.

BryanBusby 11-06-2017 09:31 PM

Veach seems to be incredibly conservative with what little cap space the Chiefs are sitting on.

A little odd with how much they will have free after making obvious moves, but good to see some conservatism.

chiefzilla1501 11-06-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13204259)
Veach seems to be incredibly conservative with what little cap space the Chiefs are sitting on.

A little odd with how much they will have free after making obvious moves, but good to see some conservatism.

I don't mind seeing conservatism with heavy contracts. But Dorsey gunning for small contracts to find a diamond in a rough is something we shouldn't have lost. Even with all the players we had to sign to find Terrance Mitchell for dirt cheap, he was an absolute steal for what he gave us last year.

gold_and_red 11-06-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13204250)
I don't understand why Veach isn't working the phones 24/7 trying to bring in fliers like this in. Terrance Mitchell turned our D around last year and was magnificent the second half of last year. Vickerson improved our D for a hot minute a few years ago. Jarvis Jenkins was an important piece for us last year with all our injuries. Hell, we grabbed Jaye Howard, Mauga, Parker off of everyone else's trash pile. Charcanderick West and Ware saved our running game with midseason call-ups from the practice squad.

We've had a good amount of success with these stopgaps. We should be actively trying new guys out until we find guys who stick.

Maybe the Chiefs powers view 2017 as a "one step back, two steps forward" year? Stay true to the Mahomes plan and cut all fat after the customary one and done (sooner if we miss the playoffs). No quick fixes, just steady, methodical building.

HemiEd 11-06-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbucks24 (Post 13204035)
The Dolphins still own him $5MM and they cut him because they are sick of him. He wasn't the best CB last season. He was good for about 4 games. He got benched last year because he was so bad. Then played 4 good games and hurt himself, again. He's known for milking his injuries, just like this year. It's not like the Dolphin secondary is that good that they can throw away good players. They will probably replace him with an undrafted free agent, Torrey McTyer. He also got on the bad side of the coaching staff by freelancing and ignoring what the coaching staff was calling. He was a healthy scratch for the last 2 games. When he signs again, he will be on his 4th team in 4 years, but he needs a change of scenery? This isn't a numbers game where there are just too many good CBs on the Miami roster. The Dolphins want to get rid of him so badly that they are willing to pay him $5MM to just go away.

And the veteran leadership thing? That's who you want mentoring your young players? A player who won't follow the scheme?

Do people just look at a name and figure he is good and because he's been around awhile, he MUST be a good leader?

I wonder if he can do the Ole?

BryanBusby 11-06-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13204262)
I don't mind seeing conservatism with heavy contracts. But Dorsey gunning for small contracts to find a diamond in a rough is something we shouldn't have lost. Even with all the players we had to sign to find Terrance Mitchell for dirt cheap, he was an absolute steal for what he gave us last year.

I'm not saying it makes sense. Then again, I've never really been sold that Veach has been about winning at all costs this year.

TribalElder 11-06-2017 10:05 PM

We need a leader who doesn't have the heart of a coward

smithandrew051 11-06-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13204241)
Where is there way too much talent? Acker, Ragland, Murray, old DJ, Zombo/old Hali? Sorenson, Parker, Bailey are pretty average. And this defense was solid last year until we lost DJ. Not sure where this narrative is coming from that we have great talent this year, or that we somehow had phenomenal talent the years before. Seems like confirmation bias to me.

Never said we had great talent. I said too much talent to be this bad. We should be around the middle of the league somewhere with the players we have. We shouldn't be at the bottom of the league.

T-post Tom 11-07-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbucks24 (Post 13204035)

Kick the tires. It's what good teams do. There's a scarcity of FAs, so you check your options at areas of need. Yes, a change of scenery can turn a player around. A player can't buy experience. Maxwell has been in the league and he's played on a SB winning team. Your narrative comes from one media report. By that standard, here's a quote from the coaching staff:

“Max plays what we ask him to play, all our guys do,” Burke said.

So maybe Maxwell banged your girlfriend or maybe you're just trolling. Doesn't matter. Chiefs should try this guy out. See what happens. If they don't like the workout/interview, then they don't sign him. Pretty simple.

http://www.highlandscashiersproperti...photo.net_.jpg

The Franchise 11-07-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13203977)
If it can't be Alex's fault CP will crumble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Vagina (Post 13204026)
Fail, my friend. They got this, bruh... v

" see? if Mahomes had started right away, he'd have been free of the Alex taint that has corrupted his game during early development! "

.. and

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/...384336932f.gif

Alex's fault, INTACT.

Oh look. A thread that's not about Alex and this happens. But I thought it was the people who don't like Alex that hijacked threads.

Reerun_KC 11-07-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold_and_red (Post 13204263)
Maybe the Chiefs powers view 2017 as a "one step back, two steps forward" year? Stay true to the Mahomes plan and cut all fat after the customary one and done (sooner if we miss the playoffs). No quick fixes, just steady, methodical building.

I can see this. It’s to the point we’ve missed our SB opportunity window recently. So roll with what we have. Unload a shit ton of broke dick vets, trade alex, and start retooling for the mahomes era.