ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mock (9/19) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310224)

mnchiefsguy 09-21-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13095037)
If Alex Smith takes us to the Super Bowl, he's a Chief in 2018. It's probably that simple.

If that's the case, we've got no cap space. Cutting Hali doesn't save us enough to keep the players we want to keep, and I don't want to cut DJ.

So you can extend Bailey (which lowers his cap hit in 2018), extend DJ some so his cap hit in 2018 goes down, Terrance Mitchell won't cost that much in 2018...

But Alex Smith is still going to price us out. So if you extend him this offseason, his cap hit drops dramatically in 2018, and you can sign him for a deal that STILL makes him trade worthy in 2019.

So, yes, I'm doing a little mad scientist shit here. I'm extending my Super Bowl QB so I can trade him in 2019. Outside the box thinking that probably would never fly, but that's never stopped me before.

Only way Smith stays is if he wins the Super Bowl....getting there and having a shitty Alex performance and losing will not be enough to justify keeping him.

The Franchise 09-21-2017 01:36 PM

If we win the Super Bowl with Alex Smith....then you ****ing fleece another team by trading him. You don't ****ing extend him and lose out on the positives that come with drafting a 1st round rookie QB. EVEN if you want to keep him.....then you keep him on his current contract and make him battle Mahomes in TC for the starting job. FFS.....extending Alex Smith would be monumentally stupid.

Direckshun 09-21-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13095113)
If we win the Super Bowl with Alex Smith....then you ****ing fleece another team by trading him. You don't ****ing extend him and lose out on the positives that come with drafting a 1st round rookie QB. EVEN if you want to keep him.....then you keep him on his current contract and make him battle Mahomes in TC for the starting job. FFS.....extending Alex Smith would be monumentally stupid.

If you win the Super Bowl with Alex Smith, then you keep Alex Smith.

The Franchise 09-21-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13095132)

If you have nothing behind him....then yes. We have Mahomes. You thank Smith for everything he's done and then help him decide where he wants to live next. You don't ****ing extend him for 5 more years and let your young QB rot on the bench.

Direckshun 09-21-2017 02:04 PM

We will still have Mahomes.

What we're going to do is win a second Super Bowl in a row (ostensibly). You don't do that by trading off the guy that just won you one.

BryanBusby 09-21-2017 03:59 PM

If they had any plan but to dump Alex at the end of the season than they had no business trading all that draft capital for a QB and a lot of that Super Bowl era roster is blown up to keep him.

It doesn't make any sense.

Discuss Thrower 09-21-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13095153)
We will still have Mahomes.

What we're going to do is win a second Super Bowl in a row (ostensibly). You don't do that by trading off the guy that just won you one.

The only point in drafting a QB that early in the draft is to be as a starter while his cap hit is almost consequential compared to a starter.

If Smith starts beyond 2018 then Dorsey and Reid royally ****ed up their draft capital for maybe two years of cheap QB salary.

That's an awful, awful, awful trade; this isn't 2005 and Alex Smith isn't Brett Favre.

RealSNR 09-21-2017 06:32 PM

Let's say the Chiefs win a Super Bowl with Alex.

In 2018, would you rather have:

A. More Alex

B. An extension for Peters and Morse and perhaps a shiny new free agent somewhere. Oh, and Mahomes is your starting QB.

BossChief 09-21-2017 06:39 PM

Sorry buddy, but no way.

Where did you come up with any of that?

I mean, almost everything is way off imo. (Which isn't worth a whole lot)

Discuss Thrower 09-21-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13095540)
Let's say the Chiefs win a playoff game with Alex.

A. More Alex

B. An extension for Peters and Morse and perhaps a shiny new free agent somewhere. Oh, and Mahomes is your starting QB.

FYP.

Direckshun 09-22-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13095341)
If they had any plan but to dump Alex at the end of the season than they had no business trading all that draft capital for a QB and a lot of that Super Bowl era roster is blown up to keep him.

It doesn't make any sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13095481)
The only point in drafting a QB that early in the draft is to be as a starter while his cap hit is almost consequential compared to a starter.

If Smith starts beyond 2018 then Dorsey and Reid royally ****ed up their draft capital for maybe two years of cheap QB salary.

That's an awful, awful, awful trade; this isn't 2005 and Alex Smith isn't Brett Favre.

I'm not for making personnel decisions that justify draft picks.

I'm making personnel decisions that give the team its best chance to win a Super Bowl.

Direckshun 09-22-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13095540)
Let's say the Chiefs win a Super Bowl with Alex.

A. More Alex

We don't have to extend any of those players this offseason.

But the time will come when we do have to keep those players (and hopefully Bennie Logan) and Alex will have to go.

If we go to the Super Bowl, which again, is what I'm projecting in the OP, you bring back the QB that took you there.

Direckshun 09-22-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13095552)
Sorry buddy, but no way.

Where did you come up with any of that?

I mean, almost everything is way off imo. (Which isn't worth a whole lot)

I'm tinkering and experimenting. It's what I do.

O.city 09-22-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13096102)
We don't have to extend any of those players this offseason.

But the time will come when we do have to keep those players (and hopefully Bennie Logan) and Alex will have to go.

If we go to the Super Bowl, which again, is what I'm projecting in the OP, you bring back the QB that took you there.

And you can't really let them all hit free agency the same year.

There's no scenario where you keep smith after this season that works out

Hoover 09-22-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13095132)

Just like the Ravens HAD to pay Flacco huge money....

I'm with Pestilence on this one. It would be awesome if Alex won a Super Bowl on his way out, and I can imagine a number of teams willing to pay a steap price for his services in trade compensation and contract (which he would deserve).

The problem with the "Keep Alex" movement is that we are not hypothesizing about drafting a Qb of the future in KC, he's here and looks good. And the upside to drafting a QB is their rookie contract where you can get great play at the position and a ridiculous price, which allows you to keep other pieces in place, you know guys like Peters, Hill, Kelce, maybe Dee Ford, and eventually Chris Jones.

The decision that will be made is a financial one, not an emotional one.

Lets be honest here, Alex is a good QB, but this is not a choice like San Diago had between Rivers and Brees.