ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc European Trip Tips (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306574)

Amnorix 03-13-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12781207)
Oh, I know Paris.

Versailles is really cool. Definitely do that. Musee D'Orsee is more interesting than the Louvre in my opinion, but I prefer impressionists over pictures of dead Jesus. The catacombs are cool, but your wife may not view them as honeymoon material.

Notre Dame is worth doing as well as that big white church Sacre Couer, though it's a bit out of the way.

You can go up inside the Arc De Triomphe, which is worth doing. Obviously the Eiffel Tower. I thought the river tour was a bit unnecessary, as I'd rather just walk around.

If I was ranking, I'd go:

1. Versailles
2. Eiffel Tower, just because.
3. Notre Dame
4. Musee D'Orsee
5. Louvre
6. Just walk around
7. Sacre Couer
8. Catacombs
9. Arc De Triomphe, just because. I'd probably rate it lower.
10. Napoleon's Tomb and the Military Museum, if you're into that stuff.

I'm probably missing some cool things.

So first, the practical shit -- there are scam artists ****ing EVERYWHERE. You WILL have gypsies hit you up in different ways. The mute that wants you to sign something. Whatever. My wife had an expert pickpocket nearly unzip her purse and get her wallet. THEY ARE BRAZEN AS HELL.

Second, in Paris it is considered RUDE to not greet the shopkeeper. This is why Americans sometimes get a frosty reception there. You will buy yourself alot of cheap points if you just say "bonjour" to someone when you walk into their shop, or go up to buy the bread.

BUY THE BREAD. Or croissant. I learned to LOVE their chocolate croissants. Their bread shops are everywhere. Buy that stuff.

Versailles is seriously out of town, so be warned. Otherwise, Rain Man's list is pretty good. Napoleon's Tomb and Military Museum is #1 if you're into that stuff. It's huge and endless and pretty damn good. You could spend multiple days there.

I'll post re: London next.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-13-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 12781221)
Anne Frank house is booked up. We might see about same day when we get there, though. Heard it can be tough to get in without reservations.

Just like all the european attractions, getting up early always helps increase your odds.

Probably too early for the tulip festival, I think that starts early May.

And then there's the red light district...yea.

Rasputin 03-13-2017 04:45 PM

<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DewEKz9TzmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kysirsoze 03-13-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12781497)
So first, the practical shit -- there are scam artists ****ing EVERYWHERE. You WILL have gypsies hit you up in different ways. The mute that wants you to sign something. Whatever. My wife had an expert pickpocket nearly unzip her purse and get her wallet. THEY ARE BRAZEN AS HELL.

Second, in Paris it is considered RUDE to not greet the shopkeeper. This is why Americans sometimes get a frosty reception there. You will buy yourself alot of cheap points if you just say "bonjour" to someone when you walk into their shop, or go up to buy the bread.

BUY THE BREAD. Or croissant. I learned to LOVE their chocolate croissants. Their bread shops are everywhere. Buy that stuff.

Versailles is seriously out of town, so be warned. Otherwise, Rain Man's list is pretty good. Napoleon's Tomb and Military Museum is #1 if you're into that stuff. It's huge and endless and pretty damn good. You could spend multiple days there.

I'll post re: London next.

Done some train research. Looks a little tricky, but my wife and I are pretty savvy as far as public transit. We've set aside most of a day for the trip since we've heard such great things about it.

Hadn't heard much about Napoleon's tomb. I'll have to do some research. Thanks!

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-13-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12781421)
Rijksmuseum is awesome as well. I did all of these. Well worth it.
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Gotta visit the Melkweg as well.
https://www.melkweg.nl/nl/

Paris is a GREAT walking city.

Didn't have enough time for the rijks, definitely on the bucket list!

Amnorix 03-13-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 12781194)
Hey CP,

So my wife and I are going on a (long delayed) honeymoon at the end of the month. 10 days in Europe split up like this:

2 nights in London
3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

I don't know anything about Amsterdam so nothing here on that. See prior post on Paris. 6 nights is enough time to do most of the major items on your checklist. Oh, one thing Rain Man didn't mention is the Rodin museum. Bit out of the way but I liked it, in part because it isn't ridiculously huge and endless.

So London. 2 nights. That, uhh, isn't enough time so you will have to be choosy.

Random, stream of consciousness, thoughts.

Day trip out to Stonehenge is out. Place sux.

Windsor Castle is very cool, but again, day trip out there.

British Museum is awesome. Endlessly huge, but how else do you see the Rosetta stone itself? Plan ahead, pick a handful of things you really want to see, and then go see them. Do a half-day or so there.

London Eye is a giant, enclosed ferris wheel. Huge attraction, but meh. Unless you do the romantic angle there. Go for that.

Food in London isn't THAT bad. It's just not special. Switching to Paris -- enjoy your meals there. They will be slow and relaxing, but awesome food there.

Tower of London is very cool. Crown Jewels are only part of it.

My single favorite thing in London was Westminster Abbey. If you're into history, it's crazy awesome. Not like any church you've ever been to, I guarantee it.

My crew really enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms, one of the lesser known attractions.

Buckingham Palace is pretty good, but don't kill yourself to see a changing of the guard. It's nice but you've only got a couple days so...

Same iwht Trafalgar square. It's cool but, ultimately, just a set of buildings and some pavement. I'd go if you had more time, but your call.

This is your HOneymoon and it is London, so great chance to see a show if you want. Les Mis or whatever. If you're into shows.

Amnorix 03-13-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 12781511)
Done some train research. Looks a little tricky, but my wife and I are pretty savvy as far as public transit. We've set aside most of a day for the trip since we've heard such great things about it.

Hadn't heard much about Napoleon's tomb. I'll have to do some research. Thanks!

All I could think when I was there was "oh, THIS is why the peasants chopped everyone's heads off. Well, duh, of COURSE they ****ing did. This place is completely RIDICULOUS!"

The palace itself is stupid huge. I mean, COMPLETELY humongous on a scale that is insane, and THEN you must realize that the gardens dwarf the building. Here's an image. The building, which is at the top, is absurdly huge in scale. And it's nothing on the gardens.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1c0176755c.jpg

Skyy God 03-13-2017 04:54 PM

Van Gough museum is a must.

I really liked the Ripper tour in London.

And for Paris, wish I'd done Moulin Rouge.

Skyy God 03-13-2017 04:55 PM

Oh, and London has great theatre.

mdstu 03-13-2017 04:56 PM

That plan sounds hectic, you must be young.
I'd skip London and take it easier. Leave some time for lounging.

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
2 nights in Zandvoort (lounge on the Beach for a couple days)
3 nights in Paris

Amnorix 03-13-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 12781537)

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

Yeah, well...

Quote:

Flights, hotels, and trains are already booked.

Besides, Chunnel to London is kinda cool by itself.

Rain Man 03-13-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12781519)
All I could think when I was there was "oh, THIS is why the peasants chopped everyone's heads off. Well, duh, of COURSE they ****ing did. This place is completely RIDICULOUS!"

The palace itself is stupid huge. I mean, COMPLETELY humongous on a scale that is insane, and THEN you must realize that the gardens dwarf the building. Here's an image. The building, which is at the top, is absurdly huge in scale. And it's nothing on the gardens.

And somewhere down on the left is the little place where Marie Antoinette hung out when she needed to get away from the palace. I can't place it on that view, but I remember touring it, and it was pretty nice on its own accord: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/disco...estate-trianon

Hmm, it may be off the map to the left on your picture.

mdstu 03-13-2017 05:08 PM

I guess I wasn't really giving advise.
Just saying what I would do.
Having been to all the must see cities, now I just wanna take it easy on vacation.
Beaches of Portugal, Spain, and Italy are all I care about now.

kysirsoze 03-13-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 12781537)

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

Ha. Yeah. We're pretty active when we travel, but we're going to be busy for sure.

kysirsoze 03-13-2017 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the Info Amnorix! This is great. You've probably pushed Westminster Abbey onto the list. The eye is out due to the missus' vertigo.