ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs "not expected" to tag Poe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306308)

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12763050)
No. I posted in the salary cap thread that if you take him off....it puts us at roughly $15 million before Berry.

Nobody has the rookie allocation figured in yet.

I see about $9 million in available cap after releasing Charles and dumping Foles if you consider Berry at $5 million.

The rookie allocation would likely be somewhere in the $7.5 million range by the time all is said and done. It could move quite a bit if the Chiefs trade up or down.

Realistically the Chiefs are pretty much at the cap. Now some of those draft picks will displace guys, but many of those are past the 'top 51' that's factored into the cap cutoff anyway so it wouldn't help the cap. But if they drafted, for instance, an OT that makes Reid expendable (likely), that's another $1.5 million or so that they'd save.

Unless they restructure Houston, they'd be hard pressed to make any significant moves. And God help us if they restructure Smith.

CaliforniaChief 03-01-2017 10:27 AM

It seems like Dorsey is making some tough but smart business decisions right now.

We need a really good draft and a couple of smart FA signings to wrap this up.

Oh yeah, and a new Quarterback.

The Franchise 03-01-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763084)

I see about $9 million in available cap after releasing Charles and dumping Foles if you consider Berry at $5 million.

The rookie allocation would likely be somewhere in the $7.5 million range by the time all is said and done. It could move quite a bit if the Chiefs trade up or down.

Realistically the Chiefs are pretty much at the cap. Now some of those draft picks will displace guys, but many of those are past the 'top 51' that's factored into the cap cutoff anyway so it wouldn't help the cap. But if they drafted, for instance, an OT that makes Reid expendable (likely), that's another $1.5 million or so that they'd save.

Unless they restructure Houston, they'd be hard pressed to make any significant moves. And God help us if they restructure Smith.

I'd be fine with restructuring Houston but I also think that Reid needs to be gone as well as doing something with Colquitt.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12763088)
I'd be fine with restructuring Houston but I also think that Reid needs to be gone as well as doing something with Colquitt.

Colquitt needs to be gone as well but with Toub likely having one last shot at getting a head coaching gig before he's seen as too old/stale, I'd be surprised if Reid does that to him.

Reid will keep Colquitt around at Toub's behest because a rookie punter could make Toub look pretty bad, pretty fast. Colquitt's not worth his money because people still overvalue him 'round here, but he's a steady guy that Toub can count on and build a unit around. Put a rookie in there and there's weird shit that can/will happen which would make him look worse in his last 'head coach drive'.

If he doesn't get Pagano's job next season, I expect Toub's a special team's lifer. At that point, the Chiefs move on from Colquitt and tell Toub to make it work.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-01-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763084)

Judging by our cap situation and the players we have locked up, this wouldn't surprise me. If Dorsey doesn't find his QBOTF in this draft that leaves it up to an early round pick in 2018 which I have a hard time believing he will want to start that player from the get-go. Smith will be 34 if we pick up his last season which is by no means 'old' in this NFL.

Reerun_KC 03-01-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 12763087)
It seems like Dorsey is making some tough but smart business decisions right now.

Have to address that position seriously. Can't go into another season without a QB.

2017 is pointless with Smith.

Titty Meat 03-01-2017 10:46 AM

If healthy there's not many nose tackles better than Poe.

DTLB58 03-01-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 12763087)

Couldn't agree with you more. He's making some tough decisions, but that's what he gets the big bucks for. It will be better for Poe's career especially if he goes to a 4-3 team.

Spott 03-01-2017 10:53 AM

Denver sucks ass.

Rooster 03-01-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12763118)
Denver sucks ass.

That's Spott on.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12763097)
Judging by our cap situation and the players we have locked up, this wouldn't surprise me. If Dorsey doesn't find his QBOTF in this draft that leaves it up to an early round pick in 2018 which I have a hard time believing he will want to start that player from the get-go. Smith will be 34 if we pick up his last season which is by no means 'old' in this NFL.

You need to come to terms with the fact that Alex Smith is on borrowed time.

He won't be restructured and he won't be here in 2019. At most, he has 2 more years and even that seems like less than a 50/50 proposition.

Shout into the wind all you want, but extensions for Berry and LDT are the writing on the wall. This team's already using Smith's 2019 salary and very likely his 2018 as well.

The fog is lifting.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12763109)
If healthy there's not many nose tackles better than Poe.

He's a 350 lb man with back issues.

He'll never be 'healthy' as you're describing it again. His best at this point will be 90% of what his best used to be. And in a league where the line between success and failure is as razor thin as the NFLs, that 10% decrease is huge.

He was 'healthy' by NFL terms last year and he simply wasn't an impact player. That's not worth $13 million. 2014 Dontari is gone and he ain't ever comin' back.

The Franchise 03-01-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12763125)
He's a 350 lb man with back issues.

He'll never be 'healthy' as you're describing it again. His best at this point will be 90% of what his best used to be. And in a league where the line between success and failure is as razor thin as the NFLs, that 10% decrease is huge.

He was 'healthy' by NFL terms last year and he simply wasn't an impact player. That's not worth $13 million. 2014 Dontari is gone and he ain't ever comin' back.

His best fit now is in a 4-3. He can at least hope not to be double teamed all the time next to another massive DT. I think someone is going to sign him to a large contract and he won't play up to it.

oldman 03-01-2017 11:03 AM

I agree with you on both posts, DJ. Smith will not be here in 2018 and Poe, as much as I like him, is not worth the money for either tag.

The Franchise 03-01-2017 11:03 AM

Next year there is going to be a major gutting of contracts on this team. Smith, Hali and DJ for sure.