ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What would you do if offered a paid relocation to Punta Cana? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302418)

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443673)
The job is as long as I want it, but free housing is just 60 days.

Will your current job be there when you get back?

Bwana 09-23-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12443671)
I'm going to Jamaica next week, is it bad?

As long as you stick to the resort areas it's fine, if you wonder too far from those established area's it's not. Jamaica is pretty much the scourge of the Caribbean in the eyes of most other countries in the area.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443647)
Hmm, have you ever been to the Dominican Republic? There would pro's and con's for sure. I would take a trip down there for at least a couple of weeks and check stuff out first. Reading things about it on the internet is all good, but until you actually experience the place, you won't really know.

Good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12443657)
Do you have the discipline not to go hog wild in a place like that and focus on work? :hmmm:

As far as a "demotion", titles mean shit in the broader context of things. I've had 3 VP titles and those 3 jobs I made the LEAST amount of money in my life. My three best "titles' where I made the most money; Pressman, Business Development Manager, and Senior Account Manager.

Unless you are going from the CEO to the janitor, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, what are the RISKS of the job in Punta Cana? Could you get there and a month later they fire you? (Had that happen to me when I moved to Toronto and the company's VC's stop funding the company and they shut it down after 4 years. I was there for just two weeks after leaving the US.) :shake:

It's possible, but highly doubtful. I'll be financially secure enough to come home and get back to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12443663)
There are probably fewer of us racist mouth-breathers down there so you'll have that going for you.

But whatever you choose, you should probably **** yourself first. Lord knows no woman will be doing it for you.

You're such an angry little possum!!!

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443676)
Will your current job be there when you get back?

No. It's risk vs reward. If I kill it, I can get those jobs at a lot more locations. If I don't, I come back and have to work my back into that role. I'm not established as a Director. Senior manager is where I just graduated from.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443669)
Unless I've missed something in the last year.....he's married.

As DJ eluded too, I did in fact get married. I found the one woman on Earth who would **** me. ;)

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:25 AM

The first thing I would do is find out if anyone who previously held the position is still alive.

If yes, I'd seek their advice.

If no, I'd have to punt.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Did you ever get the ukulele, Flop?

Dinny

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 12443689)
The first thing I would do is find out if anyone who previously held the position is still alive.

If yes, I'd seek their advice.

If no, I'd have to punt.

Dinny

That's actually some solid advice. LMAO The DR is a shit hole outside of the resort areas from my very limited understanding.

Donger 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443628)
Because that's what just happened in my world. I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales for a company running 6-8 road teams and it's a great job. This would be a demotion but it's a ****ing paid relocation to Punta Cana and housing on an all inclusive 5 star resort for 60 days. I have zero kids. A couple of dogs that would have to come later. It's a demotion however, although it's still plenty of money in a place that requires very little. Closer to Venezuela than Florida so the Coke runs like water. Whew. Part of me says stay focused on retiring ASAP, and part of me says YOLO this kind of is. What would you do? What would Jesus do? What would Nickhead do?

I wouldn't even consider it without them paying to send you down there to check it out first, presuming you've never been there.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 12443690)
Did you ever get the ukulele, Flop?

Dinny

I have not.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Honestly man....I'd stay where I was at. You've already said that your current job is a great job and you're working toward your retirement. Build up that money and then take a vacation to the DR later on. JMO though.

O.city 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443678)
As long as you stick to the resort areas it's fine, if you wonder too far from those established area's it's not. Jamaica is pretty much the scourge of the Caribbean in the eyes of most other countries in the area.

Ok, cool. It's just a quick cheap getaway as the wife and I needed a little break. Hopefully it goes ok

Bowser 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443678)

What Bwana said. The Jamaicans take great care of their resorts because that's where most of the money is coming into the country from. But once you get away from the resorts, it's about as third world as you can get. Families living in lean-tos and shanties along the highway kind of stuff. If you wander off of the resort, do it during the day and with a group of people if you can. There certainly are exceptions to that rule depending on where you're staying (Rick's Café in Negril is one. Great place, and they let you jump off a cliff there), but just be smart if you want to go explore.

hometeam 09-23-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Been to jamaica too, it was also pretty much a shithole outside of the tourist spots

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443693)
I have not.

YOLO

Dinny