ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Feds finally end prosecution of Barry Bonds (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293516)

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 11612165)
I agree. He was also an asshole to the media. He grew up watching how they treated his dad. He hated them for that.

The thing is, McGwire wasn't exactly a media darling.

Papi is a huge asshole. But the media has worked its ass off to make him a loveable asshole.

ARod is sleazy with women. Jeter is just a loveable ladies man.

The media has forced this down our throat and we've all bit on it.

Al Bundy 07-22-2015 05:20 PM

Andy Petite is BELOVED by the media.. and he is an admitted cheater.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 11612187)
Andy Petite is BELOVED by the media.. and he is an admitted cheater.

I think he's a slightly different category because I actually do believe he was using it to recover from an injury.

It's still cheating and he knew what he was getting himself into, so I'll agree with you there.

FringeNC 07-22-2015 05:27 PM

Despite multiple warnings to the FBI of plots involving hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings, the FBI decided that a jihad against Barry Bonds was a better use of resources. Who the hell cares if Barry Bonds bought steroids or HGH? That may be MLB's problem, but certainly doesn't warrant the diversion of law enforcement assets. Disgraceful.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 11612194)
Despite multiple warnings to the FBI of plots involving hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings, the FBI decided that a jihad against Barry Bonds was a better use of resources. Who the hell cares if Barry Bonds bought steroids or HGH? That may be MLB's problem, but certainly doesn't warrant the diversion of law enforcement assets. Disgraceful.

I don't have a problem with the government intervening in stuff like this. Especially when the commissioner encourages the behavior. Better example for me is the NCAA. These are teams accepting a shitload of public money. And they aren't traditional businesses, they're more like cartels. So the government has to keep them in check from time to time. But agree that the enforcement has been wildly inconsistent. That's where I have a problem.

FringeNC 07-22-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11612201)
I don't have a problem with the government intervening in stuff like this. Especially when the commissioner encourages the behavior. Better example for me is the NCAA. These are teams accepting a shitload of public money. And they aren't traditional businesses, they're more like cartels. So the government has to keep them in check from time to time. But agree that the enforcement has been wildly inconsistent. That's where I have a problem.

Why is it relevant if they are accepting public money? Barry Bonds was no threat to the republic. Sure, maybe the sanctity of MLB records was at stake, but that's an issue for the league to deal with, not the Feds.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 11612205)
Why is it relevant if they are accepting public money? Barry Bonds was no threat to the republic. Sure, maybe the sanctity of MLB records was at stake, but that's an issue for the league to deal with, not the Feds.

I agree they spent too much time busting cheaters. But like that they created better rules for testing and enforcement.

Pro sports are different than businesses. They are allowed to break a lot of rules businesses aren't and commissioners/owners can get away with almost everything. Look at how much the NCAA and NFL are weaseling money. So if the leaders aren't enforcing the rules, the governement is the only group that can. In this case, the MLB leadership chose to turn a blind eye to breaking federal laws around steroid distribution while ruining the fairness and integrity of a game that is being heavily, heavily financed by the public. Worse, they were doing it to make more money.

GloucesterChief 07-22-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 11612135)

My top 3.

The babe
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds.

Sub out Bonds for Griffey Jr.

Anyong Bluth 07-22-2015 06:26 PM

Thanks for wasting a shit ton of taxpayer money on this stupidity.

kysirsoze 07-22-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11612156)
I'm going to say this and i know i'll get destroyed for this. **** it. I don't give a shit.

Barry Bonds cheated. But the only reason he's hated this much is because of the media. Nobody gives a shit about McGwire or Sosa. People still consider Papi a hero. Nelson Cruz an all star. People are actually starting to feel sorry for Tom Brady. And the worst part, fans defend the living shit out of this group of cheaters.

Bonds was a cheater. But so were a ton of people during and before the steroid era. The only reason people hate him so much is because the media has shoved it down your throat that you should hate him.

Well it's also because he has all the home run records. If Mcguire still had the season HR record it would be different. Plus, Hank Aaron's record was the ****ing holy grail and not only did it go to a cheater, but we knew he was a cheater at the time. We didn't even have the romance of the McGuire/Sosa HR race to hold onto.

KC_Connection 07-22-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11612191)
I think he's a slightly different category because I actually do believe he was using it to recover from an injury.

It's still cheating and he knew what he was getting himself into, so I'll agree with you there.

That was certainly his story. If you choose to believe it.

KC_Connection 07-22-2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11612245)
Sub out Bonds for Griffey Jr.

Griffey isn't anywhere near the same realm as Bonds or those other 2.

Al Bundy 07-22-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 11612437)

I ALWAYS leave Babe Ruth off my best of all time lists because he didn't play against all of the best players in America.

kstater 07-22-2015 07:48 PM

LMAO Duffy's reaction to Hos homer.

GloucesterChief 07-22-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 11612437)

His stats are very close to Bonds. He played in a harder league and at a harder defensive position: center instead of left field.