ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Two 1st round picks for Russell Wilson in '16 and '17 or '17 and '18 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293050)

Hootie 06-21-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11559330)
Because he's not the type of QB you give up 2 first round picks for. He's not Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck. He's played with one of the best defenses in the NFL his entire career. If he played in Green Bay or Indianapolis, those teams wouldn't make the playoffs.

Right.

How many first round picks is Luck worth? Just curious.

jd1020 06-21-2015 12:58 PM

Give up 2 1st's for Russell and be locked into Alex Smith for ridiculous money. And people think Daniel is an expensive backup.

LoneWolf 06-21-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11559344)
Right.

How many first round picks is Luck worth? Just curious.

I'd give three first round picks for Luck and he's the only QB in the NFL I would give more than 2 first round picks for.

ThaVirus 06-21-2015 01:46 PM

Assuming we could dump Alex and Chase's contracts with no flack, I would. Eric Fisher, Dee Ford and Marcus Peters for DangeRussell Wilson? Done.

This thought literally shouldn't even be entertained by Chiefs fans though. For one, the Seahawks aren't going to let him go. They're in the same boat as the Ravens with Flacco a few years ago. They have to pay him. Two, we've already got like $20 million on the books for our QBs alone this year. We'd essentially be paying $50 million just for QBs this season. It would kill our team.

Saul Good 06-21-2015 01:47 PM

The way I see it, there are two ways to build a team. You either find an elite QB, pay whatever it takes to keep him, and hope he can carry a roster of JAGs and young, cheap players or you pick up the cheapest possible QB and use the money to build a monster squad around him.

ThaVirus 06-21-2015 01:48 PM

Two 1st round picks for Russell Wilson in '16 and '17 or '17 and '18

An organization was willing to trade a 1st rounder for Sam Bradford. Guys like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson could fathomably be worth 3+ 1sts or entire drafts.

LoneWolf 06-21-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11559451)
The way I see it, there are two ways to build a team. You either find an elite QB, pay whatever it takes to keep him, and hope he can carry a roster of JAGs and young, cheap players or you pick up the cheapest possible QB and use the money to build a monster squad around him.

Seattle has done the latter. They found a cheap third round QB and built a monster squad around him.

O.city 06-21-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11559454)
An organization was willing to trade a 1st rounder for Sam Bradford. Guys like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson could fathomably be worth 3+ 1sts or entire drafts.

In terms of qb play, I can't put luck and Wilson in the same category.

We can't see what he'd be without the d until he doesn't have it, but the advanced metrics, iirc, weren't really nice to russel, which to me, says he's carried more than he carries.

There's an argument there that he can do it, but he hasn't been asked to do what Luck does/is.

Easy 6 06-21-2015 02:01 PM

He's a just gutsier Alex Smith, two firsts is too high.

ThaVirus 06-21-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11559460)
In terms of qb play, I can't put luck and Wilson in the same category.

We can't see what he'd be without the d until he doesn't have it, but the advanced metrics, iirc, weren't really nice to russel, which to me, says he's carried more than he carries.

There's an argument there that he can do it, but he hasn't been asked to do what Luck does/is.

We've had this argument on this board ad nauseam..

But they've both gotten help in different ways. Russell's defense has been very good, as has his running game; but he certainly helps Marshawn out. The two have a synergistic effect on the offense. Lynch only averaged 4.7 YPC (which is just a bit better than league average) last year but the Seahawks COMFORTABLY led the league in YPC at 5.3. Russell damn near added 1,000 rushing yards by himself.

Wilson also hasn't had the receiving options or number of attempts Luck has.

You could argue Luck is asked to do more but I argue he's been given more chances to do more.

Tombstone RJ 06-21-2015 02:12 PM

Is Wilson worth 2 first round picks? Yes. Also, Wilson is a better QB than Smith.

ThaVirus 06-21-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11559466)
He's a just gutsier Alex Smith, two firsts is too high.

A gutsy Alex Smith would likely be a damn fine QB, would he not?

Russ is faster, more accurate, better at extending the play, better at making big plays, and better in the clutch anyway. They're really only similar in the fact that they're not asked to do a ton and prefer efficiency over gaudy stats.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2015 02:18 PM

For Reid's system, he would be the ultimate. You can't even debate or question it. I'd give them Houston straight-up.

O.city 06-21-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11559473)
We've had this argument on this board ad nauseam..

But they've both gotten help in different ways. Russell's defense has been very good, as has his running game; but he certainly helps Marshawn out. The two have a synergistic effect on the offense. Lynch only averaged 4.7 YPC (which is just a bit better than league average) last year but the Seahawks COMFORTABLY led the league in YPC at 5.3. Russell damn near added 1,000 rushing yards by himself.

Wilson also hasn't had the receiving options or number of attempts Luck has.

You could argue Luck is asked to do more but I argue he's been given more chances to do more.

Well, yeah he's been given more chances, it gives them the better chance to win with luck throwing it like that.

You're kind of furthering the argument against it with the defense and lynch, plus Wilson's running ability.

For 2 first rounders and that salary, youve gotta win from the pocket and make guys around you that much better.

So far, we haven't seen wilson do that consistently, save for lynch and the running game. That's great and it'd a skill, but it's also a risk.

notorious 06-21-2015 02:24 PM

Seattle is about to sign him long-term, and we are about to watch him start having monster seasons statistically.

It doesn't mean they will be a better team, though.