ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Gregg Marshall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291488)

Ceej 03-23-2015 05:09 PM

Everyone has a price.

Deberg_1990 03-23-2015 05:18 PM

KU when Self leaves for the NBA

Chiefspants 03-23-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11400080)

He hasn't struck me as a huge fan of our program.

Old Dog 03-23-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11400080)

Don't believe that is going to happen until Popovich retires.

ChiTown 03-23-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 11400106)
He hasn't struck me as a huge fan of our program.

I don't believe that would be a great fit for either Marshall or the Program.

WilliamTheIrish 03-23-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11400051)
"A man is only as faithful as his options"

Exactly right.

And if you're a responsible AD, you have a list of up and comers or HCIW ready as soon as the rumors start to circulate.

Zebedee DuBois 03-23-2015 06:41 PM

Count me in as thinking Texas would be a great spot for him.
They can dump a bunch of money on him, and they already have all the resources you could want.
How the heck they allow that program to underperform every year is unfathomable.

He could go into there and start winning tomorrow.

GoShox 03-23-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 11399967)
This comes up every year, and it is part of having a successful HC at a Mid Major.

After the Cohen and Eddie Fogler disaster that stripped the program of its roots, I doubt the money guys in Wichita like Tom Devlin let money become a reason for him leaving.

One of my good friends follows the Shocks to almost every game on the road (on his way to Ohio right now) and has spent significant quality time with Marshall. He says Marshall is going nowhere.

I think there's an offer out there somewhere that HCGM wouldn't refuse. But a lot of speculation comes from people that don't know what he values and just look at the dollar signs, which means the speculation is pretty much useless.

People should also know that Anthony Grant (Alabama's former coach) and Marshall are good friends. This could also impact his decision on whether to take a job at Alabama.

GoShox 03-23-2015 06:51 PM

Also, there's this misconception that all of Marshall's success is due to the recruiting class of Baker and Van Vleet.

The year before Van Vleet joined the program (Baker was a redshirt freshman), Wichita State dominated their league and got a 5 seed. They got gimmicked out of the tournament by VCU, but had they played anyone else, probably would've gone far. That team was probably better than the Final Four team the next year. Marshall also has arguably his best recruiting class coming in this year. Anyone expecting Wichita State to descend back into the abyss after next year is going to be plenty surprised.

notorious 03-23-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 11400227)
Count me in as thinking Texas would be a great spot for him.
They can dump a bunch of money on him, and they already have all the resources you could want.
How the heck they allow that program to underperform every year is unfathomable.

He could go into there and start winning tomorrow.

Jesus.

Self at Texas would be frightening.

threebag 03-23-2015 07:08 PM

With the way WSU and it's program is running the money is just as much there in Wichita as it would be anywhere else. Ask the Tom Devlins and the KOCH brothers there are deep pockets tied to the university.

Prison Bitch 03-23-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11400245)
Jesus.

Self at Texas would be frightening.

Why would it be any more frightening than at Kansas?

Marshall at Texas....now thats a frightening thought.

GoChargers 03-23-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 11399524)
Since when did doubling your salary become a "bad career move"

When you can get pretty much any open job you want and still get more money. He'd be dumb to go to a football school that doesn't give a crap about basketball.

threebag 03-23-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11400274)
Why would it be any more frightening than at Kansas?

Marshall at Texas....now thats a frightening thought.

It would be hard to buy a longhorns hat.

tk13 03-23-2015 07:19 PM

Only possible catch with Texas is that they'll still be a football school, no matter what he does. It'd never be like a Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, etc. He'd certainly get the resources to win though.