ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Side dishes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289097)

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 02:37 PM

Spinach also raw tossed in smoothies or salads even in quiche, omelettes and pies.
Just love spinach.

Fire Me Boy! 12-12-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11187236)
Spinach also raw tossed in smoothies or salads even in quiche, omelettes and pies.
Just love spinach.

I add spinach to smoothies all the time. Good stuff.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 02:56 PM

How could I have forgot my beloved sweet potato?

So easy to cook, loaded with vitamin A and anti-oxidants. Good tasting nutritional powerhouse. Just pierce and bake in the oven. Walk away for an hour to do something else. The organic ones tastes fine without butter 'cause they're sweeter. Add butter to the regular ones even some cinnamon and nutmeg. Some add brown sugar but that to me is ruining it's healthy qualities. Tho' it is great in a pie.

I also forgot the acorn squash. I don't make it often but it is easy to prepare. Slice in half. Top with butter and real maple syrup—bake in oven. Very good and good for ya' too.

Kale, I use this in smoothies cause it hides the taste. I can't stand it cooked. Yuck! Though it is another nutritional powerhouse. It can be good raw diced finely in a salad with cabbage with a creamy lemon poppy seed dressing as well.

NewChief is the expert on cooking kale. I just don't care for it cooked.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 02:59 PM

A great omelette with using spinach is to also use softened goat cheese, lightly sauteed spinach with garlic and onion, chopped up bacon, and roasted tomatoes. Top off with bacon and roasted tomatoes. To die for!

Don't like goat cheese, just substitute another soft white cheese. I like the tang of the goat cheese with this combination. It's a very rich omelette though.

Buck 12-12-2014 03:00 PM

Favorite Side dish is ribs.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 11187284)
Favorite Side dish is ribs.

LMAO

Very cute.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 03:10 PM

Oh, and sweet potato also tastes good raw for munching on. Also very good for you.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 03:14 PM

I am about to experiment with cooking up my little white pumpkins I bought for my thanksgiving vase decorations. I looked it up online to see if they are edible as a vegetable. They eat them in South Africa. In fact white ones and blue ones are more prevalent there. They only grow the orange ones for America to export in the fall. Interesting huh? I think so.

ptlyon 12-12-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11187327)
I am about to experiment with cooking up my little white pumpkins I bought for my thanksgiving vase decorations. I looked it up online to see if they are edible as a vegetable. They eat them in South Africa. In fact white ones and blue ones are more prevalent there. They only grow the orange ones for America to export in the fall. Interesting huh? I think so.

Enjoy your ebolanizing!

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 11187333)
Enjoy your ebolanizing!

ISouth Africa bans travellers from Ebola- affected countries. No worries.
I would think cooking would kill it anyway.

Just Passin' By 12-12-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11187080)
The Mrs makes brussel sprouts with bacon that are really good. Broccolini is a nice change of pace as well.

Does she use golden raisins, as well?

Buzz 12-12-2014 07:06 PM

I like instant mash potatoes, topped with McCormick packet gravy. Cook up some Aldi frozen chicken fried steak patties with a can of corn to boot = good eats.

BucEyedPea 12-12-2014 08:35 PM

O.M.G.

Buzz 12-12-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11187920)
O.M.G.

I know, delicious right?

TinyEvel 12-12-2014 09:10 PM

Cauliflower steaks.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Veget...ks-Roasted.htm

I drizzle a little balsamic on them at the finish.