ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Electric Smoker help. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288763)

lewdog 11-28-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11150218)
I've been using electric smokers for over 15 years. I wore my first Bradley out and bought a new one. The current one is the same model as the one in your link except that its a 4 rack.

You can set it to feed wood, heat up or down as fast or slow as you want. Start it quick, back it down, bring it back up to finish whatever. I set it and forget it. But, that takes practice if you never worked with electric smokers.

You will need to run it once to cure the smoker. I'd suggest another run with some kind of cheap meat like chicken thighs.

There is a thread on here where electric smokers were discussed for hundreds of pages.

Good to know. The one in the link is the 4 rack smoker so likely same as yours?

We had a thread last year about smokers but not the electric kind. It was a mixture of both.

Does this Bradley Unit allow anything other than those Bisquettes to be used? Can you also manually insert them instead of auto feed as many mention the auto-feed gets stuck?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 11150228)
The bisqette things you feed into it cost a fortune. $/hr of smoke seems steep, but convenience ain't cheap.

Dinny

Yea I agree. But I don't mind paying for some convenience. I'm looking for the set and forget type unit with this purchase!

lewdog 11-28-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11150252)
I got one of these for free a couple years ago. I don't much care for it.

Care to elaborate on why FMB?

jspchief 11-28-2014 02:55 PM

I have an older masterbuilt and am happy with it. Smoke production is lacking so I added a smoke box, but temp control is great.

I've read that masterbuilt has had recent quality issues so not sure if the new ones are as good.

Gonzo 11-28-2014 03:22 PM

I have a Bradley and a masterbuilt. The master has moor room but I like the Bradley's auto feed function.

Fire Me Boy! 11-28-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11150393)
I have a Bradley and a masterbuilt. The master has moor room but I like the Bradley's auto feed function.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...1f2737eb98.jpg

Kerberos 11-28-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11150155)
I've seen these used by a couple of competitive BBQ teams.

http://www.north-america.bradleysmok...l-food-smoker/

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11150168)
I have some digital coupons and perks through work and just saw a Bradley Smoker on there. Original Bradley 4 rack for $269.

This is the one I have. Great smoker... only bitch is you have to use their proprietary brisquets. I have not been able to find any generic equivalents...then again I haven't looked in a while either. Been smoking for a couple of years now without problems.... knocking on wood as I type this. ;)

Buehler445 11-28-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11150168)
I have some digital coupons and perks through work and just saw a Bradley Smoker on there. Original Bradley 4 rack for $269.

Are Bradley's the one that require the special disks? I didnt like that.

I have a master built like the one in the OP. I like it a lot.

bevischief 11-28-2014 04:33 PM

Fire

Gonzo 11-28-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11150404)

LMAO dick.

lewdog 11-28-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 11150480)
This is the one I have. Great smoker... only bitch is you have to use their proprietary brisquets. I have not been able to find any generic equivalents...then again I haven't looked in a while either. Been smoking for a couple of years now without problems.... knocking on wood as I type this. ;)

I don't see any generic bisquettes at this time either. I do see a 120 count pack on Amazon for between $35-40 which isn't bad as most cooks you will only use 9-12 bisquettes at a time.

Would you be able to add wood chips or chunks to the inside of the unit if say I ran out of bisquettes but wanted to smoke?

Trivers 11-28-2014 06:57 PM

Best product for the money.

Had beat the heck out of this for 5 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-Smoker.../dp/B000FK09EW

And this has the elctronic controller. Price is great.

BigRedChief 11-28-2014 06:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11150711)
I don't see any generic bisquettes at this time either. I do see a 120 count pack on Amazon for between $35-40 which isn't bad as most cooks you will only use 9-12 bisquettes at a time.

Would you be able to add wood chips or chunks to the inside of the unit if say I ran out of bisquettes but wanted to smoke?

I use the bisquettes when I'm not going to be around. Use the automatic feed.

When I'm around I use wood chips. Usually a combination of hickory/Oak/Apple/Cherry chips. Just throw them in the bowl with a little water.

Here's some pics of the last round using the bradley cheater smoker.

Simplicity 11-28-2014 07:00 PM

Bump got excited when he saw "smoker" in title.

Dinny Bossa Nova 11-28-2014 07:08 PM

The proprietary briquettes are a drawback, but I'm with gonzo on this one. The convenience is hard to beat.

Is there a problem with the water pan running dry on these electrics? (provided you are using a water pan with your project) An automatic water leveler would probably be too much to ask.

Dinny

Gonzo 11-28-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 11150869)
The proprietary briquettes are a drawback, but I'm with gonzo on this one. The convenience is hard to beat.

Is there a problem with the water pan running dry on these electrics? (provided you are using a water pan with your project) An automatic water leveler would probably be too much to ask.

Dinny

Yeah, it is a convenient ****er. Good news is the wood discs are cheaper now.