ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Chiropractors.... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288571)

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-20-2014 06:24 PM

Go to an osteopath. They can manipulate the joints but can treat musculoskeletal injuries with more than just manipulation.

AustinChief 11-20-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11129158)
Go to an osteopath. They can manipulate the joints but can treat musculoskeletal injuries with more than just manipulation.

Beat me to it. This and this again.

Pepe Silvia 11-20-2014 06:25 PM

I came this close to being a back cracker, I can still adjust backs, but I won't dare **** with necks.

cosmo20002 11-20-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11129126)
Have you ever had a good massage?

Yes

BigRedChief 11-20-2014 06:27 PM

I have sciatic pain. Went to the chiropractor, got some relief. I have a bone pressing on the sciatic nerve. It would make sense to get the bone off the nerve and problem solved, right? Didn't work. I didn't do the manipulation though.

Went to an acupuncturist and got way more pain relief. They are not getting that bone off the nerve. Why does it work? It does, at least for me. Go figure.

O.city 11-20-2014 06:29 PM

With my profession, I'm at a high risk for back problems so i frequently go, but I always follow it up with a session of physical therapy.

AustinChief 11-20-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11129173)
I have sciatic pain. Went to the chiropractor, got some relief. I have a bone pressing on the sciatic nerve. It would make sense to get the bone off the nerve and problem solved, right? Didn't work. I didn't do the manipulation though.

Went to an acupuncturist and got way more pain relief. They are not getting that bone off the nerve. Why does it work? It does, at least for me. Go figure.

Acupuncture (though not understood) has much more of a scientific basis for efficacy. I know a leading neurologist in austin (well honestly, I know his son) who swears by acupuncture.

Fire Me Boy! 11-20-2014 06:40 PM

My wife (who was a licensed massage therapist) always had lots of patients with sciatica who gave up on chiro's and turned to massage. Lots of success there.

Just Passin' By 11-20-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 11129093)
Went for the first time ever yesterday. Lower back and sciatic pain virtually gone.

Wish I had gone sooner!

What are your thoughts on back crackers?

Since it worked, I'm happy for you. Don't worry about what others think. Enjoy being (virtually) pain free.

SAUTO 11-20-2014 06:41 PM

Yeah, **** a chiropractor.

AustinChief 11-20-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11129219)
Since it worked, I'm happy for you. Don't worry about what others think. Enjoy being (virtually) pain free.

I'm also happy for you that it worked. Just realize the profession is full of quackery and take anything you are told with a MASSIVE grain of salt. The typical M.O. is to relieve your back pain and then start to try to sell you on the idea that they can bring about world peace if you just come in for more "adjustments."

Fire Me Boy! 11-20-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11129237)
I'm also happy for you that it worked. Just realize the profession is full of quackery and take anything you are told with a MASSIVE grain of salt. The typical M.O. is to relieve your back pain and then start to try to sell you on the idea that they can bring about world peace if you just come in for more "adjustments."

That's generally been my experience, as well.

SAUTO 11-20-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11129243)
That's generally been my experience, as well.

Me too, went twice in my life and was in more pain afterwards than when I walked through the door.

But if I had come in three times a week for six months to a year it wouldn't hurt anymore...

Fish 11-20-2014 06:49 PM

According to studies, there's no demonstrable benefit. Some risk.

Quote:

Chiropractic Care: Attempting a Risk–Benefit Analysis

And what about the risks? Prospective investigations into the risks of chiropractic are scarce. The methodologically best studies show that mild, transient adverse effects such as localized pain are experienced by about 50% of all chiropractic patients. In addition to such minor events, dramatic complications have been noted with some degree of regularity. These complications typically involve upper spinal manipulation, which has been associated with cerebrovascular accidents. To date, it has not been possible to identify risk factors. As a result, essentially everyone receiving chiropractic treatment is at risk.

[...]

Conclusion

Where does all of this leave us when attempting a risk–benefit analysis? On one side we have uncertain benefits; on the other we must consider common nonserious adverse effects as well as serious complications that occur at an unknown rate. Given this situation, a tentative risk–benefit analysis cannot produce a positive result. The conclusion must therefore be that, according to the evidence to date, chiropractic spinal manipulation does not demonstrably do more good than harm. In view of the incompleteness of our current knowledge and the popularity of chiropractic, research into this complex area should be intensified.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447290/

Just Passin' By 11-20-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11129237)

There are plenty of quacks in 'true, western' medicine too, and they try to sell you on all sorts of shit. It's a bit in the past now, but just looking at the western handling of ulcers should serve to shut up anyone who ever bags on any other medical approach.