ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals So what's the deal with Frank White? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287556)

Discuss Thrower 10-17-2014 02:50 PM

Hud is not better or worse than Frank.

They're different personalities.

Really, what would be great would be a three man announcing crew with a straight play-by-play guy, Hudler giving his lighter anecdotes and analysis along with his friendliness joined by a guy with Royals' history that can offer more contemporary analysis with a more serious tone.

I was impressed with Ibanez's dugout interview a while back but I'd think he'd take time off before jumping into the booth [EDIT] and even then, I feel like MLB Net or another team's TV broadcast would get him.

Eleazar 10-17-2014 03:03 PM

He wasn't a great TV guy. I can see the Royals perhaps making the move. The only place I have ever heard it was because he was "too negative" was when someone was getting their information from him. At one point he was quoted saying he was done with the Royals for good.

The Royals definitely should have handled the situation better and let him return to the front office at least. But the way that White waged this PR battle in the media didn't reflect well on him either.

That being said, he posted photos of he and his wife on Twitter from the stands at one of the ALCS games.

TLO 10-17-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11024141)
If you think Hud is better than White you need your head examined

Idk man, maybe. I think it's probably because I'm younger and like Hud's excitement and passion. White always seemed a little boring to me.

stonedstooge 10-17-2014 03:13 PM

I'd be pissed if I was White. He agreed to substitute for Splitt while he was trying to recover from his medical problems and agreed to take over when Splitt could no longer cover games. So being a good dude, he agreed to go ahead and finish out the year, and in appreciation of his willingness to help out, the Royals made up a bullshit story about him being "too negative" and fired him or didn't renew him for the next year. I thought the whole deal sucked. He was a great announcer for those people who have a fundamental understanding of baseball. For the general public, perhaps not so good since he spoke above their knowledge level

gblowfish 10-17-2014 03:14 PM

Frank White stepped in to cover for Paul Splittorff when he got sick and couldn't do color on the TV broadcasts any more. Frank has a manager's baseball mind. He's very intelligent, but all those years of butt ugly baseball really wore him down. It's worn on all of us long suffering fans who knew this team didn't have to be a doormat forever. I hope they kiss and make up this week, but I wouldn't bet on it.

My mom once told me my worst personal character flaw was that I hold grudges.

I'll never forgive her for saying that.

alnorth 10-17-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 11024196)
I'd be pissed if I was White. He agreed to substitute for Splitt while he was trying to recover from his medical problems and agreed to take over when Splitt could no longer cover games. So being a good dude, he agreed to go ahead and finish out the year, and in appreciation of his willingness to help out, the Royals made up a bullshit story about him being "too negative" and fired him or didn't renew him for the next year. I thought the whole deal sucked. He was a great announcer for those people who have a fundamental understanding of baseball. For the general public, perhaps not so good since he spoke above their knowledge level

The Royals did not offer a public explanation at all for letting White go, much less say he was too negative.

As for his skills as an announcer, he was not good at all. He was pretty bad. Hudler isn't better, but they were both two opposite shades of awful.

dallaschiefsfan 10-17-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11024141)
If you think Hud is better than White you need your head examined

Good gawd. No...just NO. White wasn't horrible, but he's not even close to Hud on being a wing man in the booth.I could care less on the whole positive/negative thing. Frank was dull, IMO...and he was always my favorite player growing up because I LOVE his great D at 2b.

cosmo20002 10-17-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11024284)
The Royals did not offer a public explanation at all for letting White go, much less say he was too negative.

As for his skills as an announcer, he was not good at all. He was pretty bad. Hudler isn't better, but they were both two opposite shades of awful.

That's just :facepalm:

alnorth 10-17-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11024304)
That's just :facepalm:

Frank White was a bad announcer, and I'm not talking about being "negative" or whatever. He was boring as hell.

I don't need a clown like Hudler either, but Frank White was not compelling at all. People are defending his announcing skills only because he is Frank White.

TLO 10-17-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11024320)
Frank White was a bad announcer, and I'm not talking about being "negative" or whatever. He was boring as hell.

I don't need a clown like Hudler either, but Frank White was not compelling at all. People are defending his announcing skills only because he is Frank White.

As usual, I agree with you.

Frank White was more boring than Bob Davis, (Bob Davis covering baseball that is), and that's really saying something.

ChiTown 10-17-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

He was brutal. His monotone voice coupled with droning on and on.....it was time.

cosmo20002 10-17-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11024327)
As usual, I agree with you.

Frank White was more boring than Bob Davis, (Bob Davis covering baseball that is), and that's really saying something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 11024340)
He was brutal. His monotone voice coupled with droning on and on.....it was time.

I just don't even...:shake:

srvy 10-17-2014 04:56 PM

Gubicza does a fine job for the A's wish we could lure him home. Probably wont leave Cali now.
John Wathan I always thought was well spoken and knowledgeable of the game. He would be good in the booth for baseball knowledge that all catchers and former managers have. I believe he is in house as a special assistant.

SAUTO 10-17-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11024366)
I just don't even...:shake:

Put me down as a boring vote too.

I liked to hear the stories and stuff, that's all cool, but he went on and on in the same tone...

Someone said three man booth and I agree that's the only way it would have worked..

SAUTO 10-17-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11024376)
Gubicza does a fine job for the A's wish we could lure him home. Probably wont leave Cali now.
John Wathan I always thought was well spoken and knowledgeable of the game. He would be good in the booth for baseball knowledge that all catchers and former managers have. I believe he is in house as a special assistant.

We used to practice little league in wathan's back yard.