ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Should the NFL overtime rules be changed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286764)

milkman 09-21-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10937717)
Do it like college or **** off with the changes

Oh, Hell No!

The college rules suck.

alnorth 09-21-2014 08:51 PM

No. The OT rules did need to be changed when a FG could win, but this is not a Field Goal. If you can't stop a TD, then you should lose.

The current NFL OT rules are perfect. If anything, college should change to the NFL OT rules.

CanadianChiefs 09-21-2014 08:54 PM

Imo it should be changed.

One possesion guaranteed. You can match the touchdown, but after that, a FG can win it. Defensive TD or safety still end the game immediately though. I think it would lead to some amazing, fair endings, if a team knows they have to get in the endzone to tie.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 08:57 PM

I wouldn't mind a change where they put the ball at midfield, put all 53 players onto the field from both teams, and there's only one rule. Whoever puts the ball across the other team's goal line wins. It may take a few days to have a winner, but it would be very entertaining.

listopencil 09-21-2014 08:57 PM

"No doubt, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was fantastic on the game-winning drive."

/end

milkman 09-21-2014 08:58 PM

I'd rather they had never introduced OT in regular season games.

aturnis 09-21-2014 08:59 PM

They've already been changed. Want your shit, hold them to a field goal.

alnorth 09-21-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChiefs (Post 10937735)
Imo it should be changed.

One possesion guaranteed. You can match the touchdown, but after that, a FG can win it. Defensive TD or safety still end the game immediately though. I think it would lead to some amazing, fair endings, if a team knows they have to get in the endzone to tie.

Why are both teams entitled to a possession? They played 4 full quarters and had plenty of chances to score again. This is a tie where neither team is really entitled to a win, and we just need a reasonable way to break the tie.

It seemed cheap when a coinflip-FG could win it, but if you can't stop a TD, then thats good enough for me to declare a winner.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:00 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Goodell was considering switching overtime to a punt, pass, and kick contest.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:00 PM

You should be able to win with a field goal, so long as the other team has a chance to play offense at least once.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:01 PM

I'm definitely against using the college rules in the pros. I think the players are too good. Imagine the first time you had a 69-63 six OT game. At least what they do now is exactly what they do during the actual regulation period.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:02 PM

You could also put both offenses and both defenses out on the field simultaneously. Two balls, two kickoffs, and the first team that scores wins.

That would actually be really interesting to watch.

Bambi 09-21-2014 09:02 PM

Denver should have won that game. Either call it a tie at the end of regulation or let both teams have the ball.

What I saw this afternoon was a travesty.

Why Not? 09-21-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937757)
I'm definitely against using the college rules in the pros. I think the players are too good. Imagine the first time you had a 69-63 six OT game. At least what they do now is exactly what they do during the actual regulation period.

This is exactly why the NFL would never adopt the NCAA rule.

Bambi 09-21-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937757)

That doesn't happen so much anymore as now you have to go for TDs after like the 2nd round or something.