ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Kershaw lands 7 years and $215 million (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280691)

greatgooglymoogly 01-15-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 10372281)
You're probably right, but I refuse to believe that. Took my family to 5 games at the K last year including opening day and July 3/4. Saw some great baseball and made some amazing memories. The shitty part is that they are in love with they Royals too and "they believe". That's what pisses me off. Even the wifey has bought all in and she was born and raised in Minnesota. Wife was washing dishes tonight when I told her about the signing, and she said maybe Royals can catch lightning in a bottle. Please, please tell me that's not what we are resigned to.

I haven't given up all hope on a playoff appearance, but I would dump my life savings on tickets at the K if they ever did make it. I'm afraid if they do make it, they may never make it back.

The Franchise 01-15-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 10372266)
Sad day for a Royals fan. Baseball is broken and needs to be fixed. I saw a stat on ESPN that of the 25 highest paid contracts in MLB, the Dodgers have five of them. Zach Greinke is at #7.

The Dodgers have 5 players who average more than $20 million a year.

tk13 01-15-2014 09:17 PM

There are plenty of examples over the last 6-7 years of teams spending less than the Royals and making the playoffs. Most people just don't realize it.

There were three teams in the playoffs that spent less than the Royals, and Cleveland was ranked one spot ahead of KC in total payroll. The Royals have spent more in recent years than teams like the A's and Rays who always seem to be successful. The A's almost won 100 games last year. Money's not the only issue.

Although with these huge differences in TV money now... we'll see where it stands in another 7-8 years.

Deberg_1990 01-15-2014 09:18 PM

Your right TK. The Royals main problem is their draft picks underperform.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brianfo 01-15-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10372287)
The Dodgers have 5 players who average more than $20 million a year.

Kershaw and Greinke will be making 55+. Jeremy Guthrie restructures so we can go 90 million this year if need be. LMAO

BigRedChief 01-15-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10372267)
Average man won't be able to afford tickets

Baseball is cheap to attend a game. You want to sit behind the dugout, thats not cheap. But, you want to take the family and sit in the upper deck at a Royals game, $10 on some days.

It's the cable contracts that are paying for these huge salaries, not ticket sales. You can't sell $2 BILLION worth of tickets.

Simplicity 01-15-2014 10:15 PM

Ya'll know something bad is going to happen to him... Bound to, right?

BigRedChief 01-15-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10372274)
No player in any sport, especially a pitcher who plays every 5th game, is worth $30MM a year.

Just plain dumb.

Entitled to you opinion but you are wrong. Someone with the money said, yeah he's worth $30 million a year. When you have a $2 BILLION cable TV contract you can afford a $250 million payroll.

The Cardinals beat him 3 times last year. Cardinal kryptonite. :rolleyes:

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-15-2014 10:17 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>People upset about giant player contracts: You’d rather the owners keep that money? TV cash has changed the scale. That’s business.</p>&mdash; Jesse Spector (@jessespector) <a href="https://twitter.com/jessespector/statuses/423644063863414784">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Simplicity 01-15-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10372435)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>People upset about giant player contracts: You’d rather the owners keep that money? TV cash has changed the scale. That’s business.</p>&mdash; Jesse Spector (@jessespector) <a href="https://twitter.com/jessespector/statuses/423644063863414784">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Royals will never have a chance in this kind of league...

BossChief 01-15-2014 10:31 PM

Wow.

I walked away from baseball as a player and fan in 1994.

It's to the point now that it's a clean flush. Pretty much everyone that was a player when I was a kid is long gone and are getting into the HOF now and I haven't even heard of this guy that's gonna be the highest paid player in the sports history.

It's surreal.

cosmo20002 01-15-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgooglymoogly (Post 10372269)
I'd rather see the Royals in a "second league" below the major markets at this point. It would give them a chance to be competitive. The Royals will never win a pennant. I resigned myself to that a while ago.

They can. They just can't make any mistakes. They need young players who get called up to immediately be stars so they can get 5 good years out of them. They have to be able to sign guys that outperform their contracts and be able to replace the good ones who leave to get the $15M/year+ they aren't ever going to be able to pay. Not impossible, but really difficult. They just have to beat 4 other teams to win the division. Then get a little lucky or have a few great pitchers.

Mav 01-16-2014 03:26 AM

And yet, I doubt they win the division this year. Giants or dbacks.

kcxiv 01-16-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10372768)
And yet, I doubt they win the division this year. Giants or dbacks.

Dbacks maybe, Giants have no more pitching. I dont know what the **** happened to Lincicum. I dont know if he was Juicing or what, but he's lost about 5-7 mph of his fastball and he's not even 30 years old yet. I shouldnt say they dont have any pitching, its just not as good as their WS years.

Dbacks will be competitive though. Dodgers took the division and had the most injuries i ever seen. I guess thats what the big bank roll does. Crazy to think they were bankrupt a few years ago. Thank god for Stan Kasten and his 5billion net worth. He may be worth 7B not too sure

Jimmya 01-16-2014 07:12 AM

Crazy a** money.