ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Cinemax Orders Contract Killer Drama Pilot Based On Max Allan Collins’ ‘Quarry’ Books (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271743)

Baby Lee 09-21-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12440291)
Hah. That's awesome.

Curious if anyone has bothered to watch? Still getting really positive reviews for the most part.

I'm actually kind of surprised at how critical a lot of the reviews are.

It seems like they focus on how plodding, dark, and dated they found it, when they could as easily have used more positive adjectives like brooding, raw and atmospheric.

One of the most striking things in the first two eps, for me, is the subtle nuance of Joni's accent. Not merely a passable broadly 'southern,' it a good central Louisianan.

Also love Dewey Crowe/Buddy. It's clearly and unambiguously Herriman, but the the hairstyle is somehow clearly Southern, yet vaguely menacingly eastern European.

Baby Lee 09-24-2016 09:56 PM

Loved the Dolly and Porter at the end of ep 3. Heard that at least once a week on the HiFi growing up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wQAimee5dyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 10-01-2016 12:36 AM

Best episode yet, and apparently I'm the only one watching.

Wonder if the author had read NCFOM prior to penning this episode, or if the directors had it in mind making it. There was a definite vibe from it entering the existing framework.

NewChief 10-02-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12458154)

Wonder if the author had read NCFOM prior to penning this episode, or if the directors had it in mind making it. There was a definite vibe from it entering the existing framework.

I'll get to watch tonight. Been out of town all weekend.

NewChief 10-03-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Curious exactly what sections of NCFOM you felt it paralleled? Just the killer/shade hotel/etc. side of things?

And yes, I know that Graham, at least, is a pretty big Cormac McCarthy fan. He's literate as hell. The Quarry novels predate McCarthy, though, I believe... but the series is pretty loosely following the novels from what I understand.

Anyway, that opening visual was pretty awesome in this episode. Also love all the vintage Razorback/Arkansas clothing, since the characters were taking refuge in Arkansas.

Baby Lee 10-03-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12463565)
Curious exactly what sections of NCFOM you felt it paralleled? Just the killer/shade hotel/etc. side of things?

And yes, I know that Graham, at least, is a pretty big Cormac McCarthy fan. He's literate as hell. The Quarry novels predate McCarthy, though, I believe... but the series is pretty loosely following the novels from what I understand.

Anyway, that opening visual was pretty awesome in this episode. Also love all the vintage Razorback/Arkansas clothing, since the characters were taking refuge in Arkansas.

More atmosphere than plotting
Southern husband and wife tossed into deadly situation mostly but not totally against their will.
Patriarchal notion of taking care of everything/don't worry your pretty head, despite having an ally with an iron spine of her own.
Seedy motel hideout and improvised safeguards/distractions
Ominous portent of ordinary people and things
Laconic pace while danger and safety hide in plain sight.
Inteliigent, methodical and dogged pursuer.

raybec 4 10-03-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

You're not the only one watching, I really dig this show. There was real power when Joni grabbed Mac's hand as he's walking out of the bathroom.

NewChief 10-05-2016 06:34 PM

Book Club with Buddy and Karl ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tqkp_-2B_6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 10-22-2016 11:54 PM

Best episode of the season. The dialog was top notch, in addition to the plotting.

Baby Lee 10-23-2016 12:13 AM

https://medium.com/quarrycinemax

NewChief 10-28-2016 11:08 PM

Season finale was FIRE. Lots of new plot wrinkles and twists in who exactly the Broker is (CIA?). Also: the first heroin lab in Vietnam that was in the catacombs. Definitely looked like same location as Carcosa on True Detective. Going to have to text my buddy, Graham, in the morning and find out.

Baby Lee 10-29-2016 01:28 AM

That medley morphing from Bird on a Wire to See the Light during the bar confrontation was subtly beautiful, and perfect for the singer's voice and style.

Simply Red 10-29-2016 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12511651)
That medley morphing from Bird on a Wire to See the Light during the bar confrontation was subtly beautiful, and perfect for the singer's voice and style.

Hi.

Simply Red 10-29-2016 01:46 AM

Have you seen any of Black Mirror Baby Lee?

Baby Lee 10-29-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 12511658)
Have you seen any of Black Mirror Baby Lee?

I saw parts of the pig ****er and the future dorm where everything runs off credits. That's about it. Hear it was good, but haven't had time.