ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music LL and EVH (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271571)

patteeu 03-30-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541446)
How is that venue for music? I've had friends tell me that the seats are too close together and uncomfortable.

The last time I saw Van Halen with Dave was 1984. I went both nights at Kemper and it was amazing. I vividly remember both shows, although they were nearly identical.

Man, what a party!

Fat midwest friends?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9541464)
It's ok, kind of. Your friends are right saying that the seats are too close. You do feel a bit like a sardine in there. The steps feel a bit steeper, as well.
Maybe that's just me getting older? :D

IMO, the accoustics of the place are just......off, somehow. The shows that I've seen in there don't have the same sound as they did in Kemper to me. Everything is just a bit too distorted, or a bit too loud, or a bit too soft....

Sprint Center is nice and new and shiny, and all of that, but I'm not so sure that it's a better venue for rock concerts than Kemper was.

I think that's a plus (as long as you don't take a tumble). It means you get a better, closer view of the stage even when you're in the nose bleed seats.

The only concert I've seen at Sprint was Pearl Jam and I didn't really notice the seats being uncomfortably small (but that doesn't mean they aren't, compared to places I haven't been, of course). In general, I hate big arena shows and I'm not a fan of big arena ticket prices either. Give me the Uptown, Knuckleheads, the Beaumont Club or the Record Bar any day over an arena.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9541491)
Fat midwest friends?

LMAO

You know, I was going to qualify that by stating that no, the people who've told me this are not fat, but I decided against it.

My bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9541491)
The only concert I've seen at Sprint was Pearl Jam and I didn't really notice the seats being uncomfortably small (but that doesn't mean they aren't, compared to places I haven't been, of course). In general, I hate big arena shows and I'm not a fan of big arena ticket prices either. Give me the Uptown, Knuckleheads, the Beaumont Club or the Record Bar any day over an arena.

I'm with you. The largest indoor venue that I enjoy these days is about 5,000 people max. Nokia Live and the Gibson are both very, very comfortable venues that sound great.

But nothing compares to the Hollywood Bowl and the Greek Theater. It's an indescribable feeling to watch phenomenal performances outdoors, under a blanket of stars, with incredible acoustics to boot.

patteeu 03-30-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541498)
I'm with you. The largest indoor venue that I enjoy these days is about 5,000 people max. Nokia Live and the Gibson are both very, very comfortable venues that sound great.

But nothing compares to the Hollywood Bowl and the Greek Theater. It's an indescribable feeling to watch phenomenal performances outdoors, under a blanket of stars, with incredible acoustics to boot.

I bet those places are great.

My dad would never even try lobster because he thought there was no sense in acquiring a taste for it when beef was cheaper. I'm sure the places where I see shows don't come close to those places when it comes to acoustics, but since I've never experienced better, they work for me just like beef worked for my dad. :)

WilliamTheIrish 03-30-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541446)
How is that venue for music? I've had friends tell me that the seats are too close together and uncomfortable.

The last time I saw Van Halen with Dave was 1984. I went both nights at Kemper and it was amazing. I vividly remember both shows, although they were nearly identical.

Man, what a party!

Haha! Night 1 for me.

The Sprint Center seats are a little close. Not bad, a great venue. Acoustics seem a little rough to me. Maybe it's my ears. I've seen 10 or 12 shows there but don't have a "great" acoustical venue to compare it against.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9541512)
I bet those places are great.

My dad would never even try lobster because he thought there was no sense in acquiring a taste for it when beef was cheaper. I'm sure the places where I see shows don't come close to those places when it comes to acoustics, but since I've never experienced better, they work for me just like beef worked for my dad. :)

If you're a fan of John Williams, there's nothing better than him conducting the "Music of Movies" under the stars at the Hollywood Bowl.

Hearing "Darth Vader's Theme" at the Bowl with John Williams conducting the L.A. Philharmonic is as close to Heaven on Earth as it gets for me.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9541534)
Haha! Night 1 for me.

The Sprint Center seats are a little close. Not bad, a great venue. Acoustics seem a little rough to me. Maybe it's my ears. I've seen 10 or 12 shows there but don't have a "great" acoustical venue to compare it against.

I've been told (so take it FWIW) by people that I trust that the Voodoo Lounge at Harrah's is the best music venue in town, acoustically speaking.

Have any of you guys seen any show there?

WilliamTheIrish 03-30-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541563)
I've been told (so take it FWIW) by people that I trust that the Voodoo Lounge at Harrah's is the best music venue in town, acoustically speaking.

Not yet. But a lot of good acts go through there.

Brock 03-30-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541563)

Hope it's good, I'm going to see Black Crowes there, but then I'm about half deaf at this point.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9541584)
Hope it's good, I'm going to see Black Crowes there, but then I'm about half deaf at this point.

Cool, please post a review after the show.

Sorry about the half deaf thing. That sucks.

Brock 03-30-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541595)
Cool, please post a review after the show.

Sorry about the half deaf thing. That sucks.

Not really, just a constant ringing. too many front row shows.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9541606)
Not really, just a constant ringing. too many front row shows.

Tinnitus?

Bowser 03-30-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541612)
Tinnitus?

*raises hand* (I think, kind of)

Brock 03-30-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9541612)
Tinnitus?

I think so. Cannot hear real high frequencies at all. Sometimes have to kind of pretend I understood what somebody said because i don't want to go HUH? WHAT? But seeing AC/DC from 10 feet away is kind of worth it.

Bowser 03-30-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9541625)
I think so. Cannot hear real high frequencies at all. Sometimes have to kind of pretend I understood what somebody said because i don't want to go HUH? WHAT? But seeing AC/DC from 10 feet away is kind of worth it.

Haha, yeah, I'm in the same boat. But sometimes it backfires - I'll have a grin on my face nodding approval to something someone says while saying "Yeah, yeah", but then I'll get a look of "do you have ANY clue what I just said?"

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 03:08 PM

Wow, sorry guys. Be sure to wear earplugs at any loud venue to protect what hearing you have left.