ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Cell Phone Insurance (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267128)

Silock 11-28-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9158842)
What does it cost?

$99/phone.

I thought it was a ripoff, but it's paid for itself easily. And I never get insurance on stuff, but paying full price for a new iPhone wasn't in my best interest. No matter how careful you are, shit happens, ya know?

Saulbadguy 11-28-2012 08:39 AM

Nope. Not worth it to me.

Fish 11-28-2012 08:47 AM

It's probably worth it for some people. But I see it as a tax on clumsy irresponsible idiots that otherwise break and lose shit all the time...

cookster50 11-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9158875)
It's probably worth it for some people. But I see it as a tax on clumsy irresponsible idiots that otherwise break and lose shit all the time...

This

L.A. Chieffan 11-28-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9158060)
Never. Its a scam for anyone responsible enough to take care of their phone (people with kids do not count - those monsters will destroy anything laying around).

At any point in your contract you can add 2 years to get the discount on a new phone, and I dont plan on changing my Sprint unlimited plan if I dont have to. If you keep your phone for 2 years, you've already spent the cost of a new phone for nothing.

I think I've had 4 or 5 phones over the last 10 years, the first one I paid for insurance, never used it. Since then Ive never bought insurance, never needed it.

wat?

Saulbadguy 11-28-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9159025)
wat?

1. Break phone
2. Go to Sprint(AT&T, t-mobile, etc) store, tell them a sob story
3. Sign up for 2 more years and get a new phone for the discounted "upgrade" price.

This might not work if your phone breaks all the time or you JUST upgraded recently.

L.A. Chieffan 11-28-2012 10:50 AM

sob story?

lol no.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9158856)
$99/phone.

I thought it was a ripoff, but it's paid for itself easily. And I never get insurance on stuff, but paying full price for a new iPhone wasn't in my best interest. No matter how careful you are, shit happens, ya know?

You have to pay $99 on a new phone, and then if it breaks, you have to pay an additional $50 for the replacement phone?

Does the replacement phone have the same coverage as the original, or do you have to pay an additional fee to transfer the Applecare to the replacement?

Saulbadguy 11-28-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9159036)
sob story?

lol no.

Whip their eyeballs in to applesauce with your horse dick.

L.A. Chieffan 11-28-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9159037)
You have to pay $99 on a new phone, and then if it breaks, you have to pay an additional $50 for the replacement phone?

Does the replacement phone have the same coverage as the original, or do you have to pay an additional fee to transfer the Applecare to the replacement?

$99 covers two years or two replacements.

Silock 11-28-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9159037)

You only have to pay $50 if you break it by dropping it or smashing it, etc., or there is water damage. If the phone itself is just defective, it's a free replacement.

Silock 11-28-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9158875)

IMO, you don't have to drop it or lose it all the time for the insurance to pay off. To replace it once, at least for an iPhone, it's essentially $150 for the Applecare+ and the replacement fee. A new smartphone is anywhere from $600-800. So, if you didn't have the insurance and paid $600 for a new phone out of pocket, you could have essentially paid for insurance and a replacement fee for four new phones, which is 8 years of coverage.

If you don't brain fart or have bad luck more than one time in 8 years, then yeah, don't get insurance. If you don't want to press that kind of luck, it makes much more sense to just buy the insurance.

Fish 11-28-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9159278)
IMO, you don't have to drop it or lose it all the time for the insurance to pay off. To replace it once, at least for an iPhone, it's essentially $150 for the Applecare+ and the replacement fee. A new smartphone is anywhere from $600-800. So, if you didn't have the insurance and paid $600 for a new phone out of pocket, you could have essentially paid for insurance and a replacement fee for four new phones, which is 8 years of coverage.

If you don't brain fart or have bad luck more than one time in 8 years, then yeah, don't get insurance. If you don't want to press that kind of luck, it makes much more sense to just buy the insurance.

Still not worth it. Apple's flat rate repair prices still beat that.

If you have an iPhone 5, and anything happens to it. Say it gets run over by a steam roller. They will repair or replace it for $229. Done and over.

Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...product=iphone

Like I said, unless you lose or break phones repeatedly, it's not worth it.

Silock 11-28-2012 01:00 PM

At $229, that's still 4 years of coverage and one replacement. Doesn't really seem like a huge benefit to chance it.

DaveNull 11-28-2012 01:09 PM

Since I already dropped my 4s and got a replacement I feel like I broke even with one free one to go.